AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 293 82.07%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 10.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 3.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.96%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 0.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.56%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-03-10, 20:51   Link #161
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Balanga City, Bataan, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to aeriolewinters
Quote:
Mami going crazy was not expected.
Kinda expected this. This is how Homura was shown to be cold to the Mami in this timeline. But I kinda understand why she broke down.

She thought she can escape death, but instead she was subjected to a worse fate. and when everything crashes down; Even she'd lose her head(no pun intended).She's a tough one to crack, but when you crack her. She'd break immediately.
__________________
Mercury Lampe
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 20:52   Link #162
Kaoru Chujo
Sakura Ayane
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
So rich. And with Yuuki Aoi and Saitou Chiwa switching emotional places back and forth, I am fully sated with seiyuu awesomeness.

No wonder MadoMagi is now over 625 threads (625,000 posts) on 2channel. This puts it above shows such as Macross F, Bakemonogatari, Angel Beats, Gurren Lagann, and Lucky Star, closing in on School Days (729), and working its way towards Nanoha (884), and Strike Witches (933). Still far behind Haruhi (1708), and K-On (2062). But it has done this in only ten episodes....
__________________
SAKURA Ayane 佐倉綾音 age 20. Dream Eater Merry; Hotarubi no Mori e (movie) Hotaru; Joshiraku Buratei Marii; NakaImo Miyabi; Kokoro Connect Yui's sister; Vividred Operation Akane; Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki (movie) Ladylee; Aiura Mei; Love Lab "Eno"; il sole penetra le illusioni Fuyuna; Eccentric Family Kaisei; High School DxD New Gaspard; Kimi no Iru Machi Asuka; Non Non Biyori Natsumi; Tokyo Ravens Suzuka; Engaged to the Unidentified Nadeshiko; Pretty Rhythm All Star Selection: Prism Show Best Ten (movie) Ayami, Rinne; Selector Infected Wixoss Yuzuki; Dragonar Academy Silvia; Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? Kokoa; Knights of Sidonia Mozuku.
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2014 previews | spring 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Nobunaga the Fool | Nisekoi | Wixoss | Isshuukan Friends | Brynhildr in the Darkness | Kanojo ga Flag wo Oretara | Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to | Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san | Soul Eater Not | No Game, No Life | Is the Order a Rabbit? | Nanana's Buried Treasure | Mekakucity Actors | Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou | Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 20:55   Link #163
Hedd
Random Object
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Kickass episode.

The events in Madoka's dream in the first episode were actually of the last timeline Homura abandoned. So for that to not happen again... Homura can't fight Walpurgis? Because if she does, she'll fail and/or Madoka will be compelled to contract with QB. If it's impossible for anyone but Madoka to defeat it, then I don't see what Homura can do at this point. Her goal is to keep Madoka alive and preferably MG-free. Fighting Walpurgis alone (and not succeeding) or sacrificing her own life a la Kyouko are both methods that will NOT lead to her achieving her goal.

The only way I can see things working out now is if:

- Homura somehow is magically able to defeat Walpurgis on her own this time (but even then, that doesn't necessarily put an end to the threat of witches like someone was earlier suggesting).

- The other MGs come back from the dead through the power of love and friendship! YEAH! (Um, no.)

- New MGs appear to help Homura (all this time I've been wondering if Homu, Saya, Kyo, and Mami were the ONLY MGs in the ENTIRE world or not).

- Homura does another reset.


To me, Homura resetting is the most likely expectation at this point. But I'm sure Urobuchi will surprise and not disappoint.

Oh, and also: glasses and braids Homura. Too adorable. Must... control... self.... GAH!

I've got a theory that gives another option to this. In the OP, you see Madoka embrace herself during a transformation. The theory is that Homura takes the soul gem of an alternate MG Madoka and gives it to the most current Madoka. You attain the soul gem to receive MG ass woopage while retaining the original soul in the body. This method would require at least one reset and another dark dirty parting of ways paved with tears.
__________________
Hedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:03   Link #164
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F Death View Post
Dear god, I think I teared up a little. Homura had to outlive her friends four times.
only 4? it is 15,531
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:05   Link #165
Hagoshod
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Kickass episode.

The events in Madoka's dream in the first episode were actually of the last timeline Homura abandoned. So for that to not happen again... Homura can't fight Walpurgis? Because if she does, she'll fail and/or Madoka will be compelled to contract with QB. If it's impossible for anyone but Madoka to defeat it, then I don't see what Homura can do at this point. Her goal is to keep Madoka alive and preferably MG-free. Fighting Walpurgis alone (and not succeeding) or sacrificing her own life a la Kyouko are both methods that will NOT lead to her achieving her goal.

The only way I can see things working out now is if:

- Homura somehow is magically able to defeat Walpurgis on her own this time (but even then, that doesn't necessarily put an end to the threat of witches like someone was earlier suggesting).

- The other MGs come back from the dead through the power of love and friendship! YEAH! (Um, no.)

- New MGs appear to help Homura (all this time I've been wondering if Homu, Saya, Kyo, and Mami were the ONLY MGs in the ENTIRE world or not).

- Homura does another reset.


To me, Homura resetting is the most likely expectation at this point. But I'm sure Urobuchi will surprise and not disappoint.

Oh, and also: glasses and braids Homura. Too adorable. Must... control... self.... GAH!
Or Homura could just hop on Walpurgis and blow herself up.

Kyoko's method of defeating Sayaka was a Chekov's Gun for Homura to model her own solution after. It's pretty easy to see.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:07   Link #166
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
So I've watched the episode and thought I might chime in with my theory on what was Madoka's original wish and it's quite simple indeed. Think back to the first episodes, back even before QB entered the scene being chased by Homura and you'll recall that Madoka says that she wanted to be cool and sure of herself and that's what we got to see as the personality of timeline 1 Madoka.

Of course this is just a theory and it's so simple it might be a bit off but if Occam's Razor holds...

As for the episode "meh"... I didn't find it as awesome as people are portraying it. In fact I thought it was a bit on the weak side with the pace being a bit too frantic for my tastes. Still it was a nice info-dump and I'm clearly seeing my judgement being clouded by my favoring of "Senjogahara" Homura instead of "Hanekawa" Homura :P
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:09   Link #167
Crontica
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: My Desk
Looks like the only way for them to win is if someone pulls a Nirvana Fairy Tail when Madoka turns into a witch, unfortunately Homura's wish counts that as a failure.
__________________
Crontica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:10   Link #168
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Age: 28
And in the end, Homura's secret identity is... Homura.
Awesome. Awesome. Nothing else could have been this satisfying.

Rika-loop confirmed, complete with the despair and minus the obfuscating stupidity. Anyone suggesting that MS-Madoka surviving Walpurgis without going Witch would be enough is missing the key of Homura's promise to Madoka. She asks Homura to save her from Kyubey, and save her from herself, meaning that the Madoka contract is the Bad End.

Chiwa Saitō could have coasted on being Senjogahara forever and I'd have still said she was fantastic, but she went above and beyond here. Homura's mercy-kill of Madoka was the most heart-wrenching scene I've watched in years. It was enough to turn your blood to ice. God damn.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:14   Link #169
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I blogged it of course, but this is a tough episode to comment on, really. You just have to watch.

Spoiler for 10:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:17   Link #170
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Come to think of it, the out for Homura is already there. Madoka has been increasingly powerful every loop, probably due to her power stacking. At some point she should be able to take out the W-night witch without expending all her energy.

However the reverse effect is that everytime she becomes more powerful, she will become a more dangerous witch. Since the fate of the MS is fixed, Maokda could survive W-night but still end up a world destroyer a few years down the road.

Alternatively the way to end it was already shon by Madoka in one of the loops. If Homura takes a grief seed, lets Madoka handle the witch and purifies her soul gem, all is resolved (assuming Madoka does not have her soulgem shatter during the fight and ignoring long term consequences)
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:18   Link #171
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Holy crap. I just realized that the opening song is actually Homura's story.

The lyrics fit perfectly.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:19   Link #172
Raiza Sunozaki
Sorcerer of Uncertainty
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Canada! ... It's ALWAYS Canada...
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
So I've watched the episode and thought I might chime in with my theory on what was Madoka's original wish and it's quite simple indeed. Think back to the first episodes, back even before QB entered the scene being chased by Homura and you'll recall that Madoka says that she wanted to be cool and sure of herself and that's what we got to see as the personality of timeline 1 Madoka.
This... this could work. If you look at the time loops as well, Whenever Madoka was a Mahou Shoujo, she was confident, even awesome at points. She even got off her self-centered sacrificial obsession and asked Homura to make she Madoka never became a Mahou Shoujo. Later on, in the last repetition and the current one, she's a cowardly wreck who's nervous and can't even put faith in herself. I'm sure it's what Urobuchi was aiming for, but she becomes the original Homura.
Then again, it could just be finally getting the power to protect people gave her the courage she needed to put faith in herself...
But it also makes you think. Her wish in the previous iteration of time could have changed, couldn't it? If you ask me, Homura looked like she was losing pretty badly even as Madoka was making her wish. And considering Mundane Madoka is obsessed with sacrificing herself for others, I wouldn't put it past her to wish for something like "I want Homura to survive this" or something similar.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:20   Link #173
ruurguy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Not sure if this has been posted, but anyone else notice in episode 10 when they show the opening at the end of the show, instead of just Mami, Madoka, and Sayaka it also includes Homura and Kyouko in the final shot? I went and re-checked episode 9 to make sure I didn't gloss over it happening earlier. This is definitely the first ep this happened.
ruurguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:23   Link #174
taofd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
It seems to me that the current iteration of Madokas are much more powerful than her first iteration. Previously they struggled to defeat walpurgis, but the last iteration took it out in one shot.

I think the important question we should be asking is: What determines the strength of a mahou shoujou? There have been strong hints as to the nature of the individual and the wish asked.

Also there has been another major hint that QB draws the wish making power directly from the mahou shoujou.

With Madoka's wish, if she is fully aware of QB's system, it may be possible for her to completely destroy the system.
taofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:30   Link #175
Raiza Sunozaki
Sorcerer of Uncertainty
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Canada! ... It's ALWAYS Canada...
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruurguy View Post
Not sure if this has been posted, but anyone else notice in episode 10 when they show the opening at the end of the show, instead of just Mami, Madoka, and Sayaka it also includes Homura and Kyouko in the final shot? I went and re-checked episode 9 to make sure I didn't gloss over it happening earlier. This is definitely the first ep this happened.
From looking around, people are taking this as Urobuchi is gunning towards a happy end with all the Mahou Shoujo together.
Probably won't happen, but people can hope, can't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taofd View Post
It seems to me that the current iteration of Madokas are much more powerful than her first iteration. Previously they struggled to defeat walpurgis, but the last iteration took it out in one shot.

I think the important question we should be asking is: What determines the strength of a mahou shoujou? There have been strong hints as to the nature of the individual and the wish asked.

Also there has been another major hint that QB draws the wish making power directly from the mahou shoujou.

With Madoka's wish, if she is fully aware of QB's system, it may be possible for her to completely destroy the system.
It's the unstable emotions that make a Mahou Shoujo so powerful. Current iteration Madoka is basically a melting pot of emotion, from struggling with her own worthlessness and cowardice, to dealing with the deaths of a kind sempai and her best friend. The amount of energy in her must be something like an H-bomb now.
As opposed to earlier iterations, where she didn't contract in the middle of such disastrous times. Whenever Kyubei mentions she's got immense power, it's when she contracts after she sees Hell and then some. In the first three iterations, she seems to contract in a stable emotional phase, meaning she'd have the power of an average Mahou Shoujo.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:34   Link #176
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
Probably won't happen, but people can hope, can't they?
They don't call me "the eternal optimist" for nothing. Considering what I more or less blatantly compared this to earlier, that had a happy ending, even if it meant a few sacrifices. If it means that kind of happiness, I'll keep wishing for it. A world where Madoka and company become a team of monster busting heroines against a threat that's not witches is more or less impossible, but I'll still hope for the best possible ending. No matter how stupid I make myself look in the process. I've got plenty of dignity left to sacrifice.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:38   Link #177
Raiza Sunozaki
Sorcerer of Uncertainty
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Canada! ... It's ALWAYS Canada...
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
They don't call me "the eternal optimist" for nothing. Considering what I more or less blatantly compared this to earlier, that had a happy ending, even if it meant a few sacrifices. If it means that kind of happiness, I'll keep wishing for it. A world where Madoka and company become a team of monster busting heroines against a threat that's not witches is more or less impossible, but I'll still hope for the best possible ending. No matter how stupid I make myself look in the process. I've got plenty of dignity left to sacrifice.
Don't worry about it. This is my first time with an Urobuchi series, so I guess I haven't become accustomed to the lack of anything better than bittersweet that people who have read his previous stuff are used to. So even though everyone keeps stressing the fact that this won't end happily, I still wish it will. I like cute girls better when they're smiling, after all.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:39   Link #178
taofd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
It's the unstable emotions that make a Mahou Shoujo so powerful. Current iteration Madoka is basically a melting pot of emotion, from struggling with her own worthlessness and cowardice, to dealing with the deaths of a kind sempai and her best friend. The amount of energy in her must be something like an H-bomb now.
As opposed to earlier iterations, where she didn't contract in the middle of such disastrous times. Whenever Kyubei mentions she's got immense power, it's when she contracts after she sees Hell and then some. In the first three iterations, she seems to contract in a stable emotional phase, meaning she'd have the power of an average Mahou Shoujo.

Actually, we don't know what exactly that makes each Mahou Shoujo so powerful. QB has said that in GENERAL human emotions serve the basis of magical power, but it doesn't explain why Madoka even in previous incarnations was so much more powerful than the rest of them. Madoka's had a good life with a supportive family etc, and while I think turbulent emotions are part of the equation, I think that's only correlational evidence.

Also keep in mind that QB was already after Madoka even before Madoka learned of magical girls or had any traumatic experience to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
They don't call me "the eternal optimist" for nothing. Considering what I more or less blatantly compared this to earlier, that had a happy ending, even if it meant a few sacrifices. If it means that kind of happiness, I'll keep wishing for it. A world where Madoka and company become a team of monster busting heroines against a threat that's not witches is more or less impossible, but I'll still hope for the best possible ending. No matter how stupid I make myself look in the process. I've got plenty of dignity left to sacrifice.
What comes to mind is a bunch of soggy, water-soaked mice out at sea, desperately huddling together to conserve warmth on a deteriorating piece of cardboard- hoping that their salvation is close at hand.

Don't worry, I'm one of those mice as well.
taofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:43   Link #179
Sekirei07
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston
Age: 26
I am kinda reminded of Umineko from the whole time restart scenario.

That or Homura is just playing a Galga see keeps getting a bad end on and just hits the reset button lol.
__________________
Pedo-Kuch approves
Sekirei07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:45   Link #180
squishycloud
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
Come to think of it, the out for Homura is already there. Madoka has been increasingly powerful every loop, probably due to her power stacking. At some point she should be able to take out the W-night witch without expending all her energy.
This might be how it ends. Kyubey says that she was more powerful than he imagined. Maybe because she tapped into the power from her previous timelines
squishycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
madoka magica, time travel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.