AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 293 82.07%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 10.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 3.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.96%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 0.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.56%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-03-11, 16:32   Link #501
Vanish

Send a message via Skype™ to Vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Madoka's lines in the preview doesn't sound like criticism at all to me with the subs I have. Can you post the lines from the subs you have. Maybe is a different translation.
gg
Madoka:
Didn't you feel anything while protecting those girls?
Didn't you try to understand how hard it must've been for them?

Homura:
The only remaining way.

I'm unsure now, does that actually make sense?
Vanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 16:36   Link #502
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
These lines look like Madoka was actually speaking to Kyuubey, not Homura (which would imply that Homura got screwed in some way).
Of course, the "while protecting them" is the issue, but I would rather wait, in order to compare several translations just in case (mistakes do happen, for instance: "戦場" translated into "History").

Also, it may be another stuff regarding kyuubey, like he had to "protect" girls at some point, not particularly one of Madoka's group though.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 16:39   Link #503
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Before, I considered Madoka Magica to be a very good anime.
With this episode, I will call it nothing less than legendary.
The visuals don't really appeal to me, but the story is nothing short of awesome. Too bad this is ending so soon.

This episode was 11/10 on the fabulous scale.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 16:42   Link #504
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Was anyone else a little surprised that Homura never ever used her bow? It doesn't even seem like she's got one. Was the sole purpose of the promotional picture to troll us into thinking she was Archer?

That aside, I do find it extremely odd that she doesn't have a weapon. Her time magic is related to her wish, it's the same as Sayaka's healing factor or Mami's strings. She should be able to create weapons using magic like the others do (hell, Mami can creates billions of them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
These lines look like Madoka was actually speaking to Kyuubey, not Homura (which would imply that Homura got screwed in some way).
I would rather wait, in order to compare several translations just in case (mistakes do happen, for instance: "戦場" translated into "History").
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Madoka is speaking to Kyubey in the preview. Rather than "protect", I think she says "watch over", which doesn't exactly carry the same meaning and fits Kyubey's actions better (he sure as hell wasn't protecting them).
Old 2011-03-11, 16:44   Link #505
taofd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
gg
Madoka:
Didn't you feel anything while protecting those girls?
Didn't you try to understand how hard it must've been for them?

Homura:
The only remaining way.

I'm unsure now, does that actually make sense?
I found the gg subs a little bit inaccurate. But for the most part, I think those lines are to be taken at face value. Unless there's something special that Madoka meant with those lines, we are to assume they're directed at QB (fail, I meant QB, not Homura :/).

QB has implied back in episode 9 that a natural magical girl progression exists. He found magical girls, not created them. Go back and watch around 7:15.

"Soushite mitsuketano wa.... etc"

That's when we found it, a magical girl's magic.

Also, in episode 10 QB says, "I feel that possibility exists with you" when Homura asks "I can make any wish with you?" I don't, sounds like a pretty big implication that QB's using the magical girl's own magic to cast the spell...

"Sou domo, kimi ni wa sonoshikaku(?) ga arisou da..."

I think by shikaku they're referring to a rectangle or metaphorical boundaries of capabilities? I'm not a native speaker (or even fluent for that matter), so someone help me out here. It felt like a really round about way for QB to say "yes" so it definitely caught my attention...

Last edited by taofd; 2011-03-11 at 17:19. Reason: failed
taofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 16:53   Link #506
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Was anyone else a little surprised that Homura never ever used her bow? It doesn't even seem like she's got one. Was the sole purpose of the promotional picture to troll us into thinking she was Archer?

That aside, I do find it extremely odd that she doesn't have a weapon. Her time magic is related to her wish, it's the same as Sayaka's healing factor or Mami's strings. She should be able to create weapons using magic like the others do (hell, Mami can creates billions of them).
Since her vow is to protect (instead of slaying anything), perhaps her "real" weapon is actually the shield, since it is the only thing that stands out aside of her attire, which actually fits Homura prior her conviction kicking full drive.
Not only it bestows her the power to time freeze, but it is also a dimensional pocket as well, which doesn't seem to be something other girls have.

But as far as it goes, we should keep in mind that Aoki may not know the full picture of the story, so it is possible that she didn't know that the bow wasn't meant to be Homura's, and still included it in the promotional illustrations. That or the idea was scrapped midway, as it is possible Urobuchi and/or Shinbo changed their mind at some point.
This point is understandable, because there isn't any weapon left (we got swords and guns, and if the bow is taken, there isn't really many classic weapons that would match Madoka), so they probably put the bow on Madoka, so Homura has something more... "exotic".
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 16:55   Link #507
Witch of Uncertainty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I think that either:
1. Her main power is the Time freeze. Her secondary is the travel back in time.
2. Her main power is Time Freeze+Time travel, and her secondary power is being able to store a weapon of choice which will be buffed (See the purple aura the bullets gain towards the end) + "replenish" the weapon, as in refilling the magazine.
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 16:56   Link #508
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

There are so many parts of this episode that I enjoyed.

Probably the most subtle of all is how Madoka has been a magical girl in several quantum timelines. Despite being hailed by Kyubey as the "most powerful magical girl ever" Madoka was killed no less than twice by Walpurgi's Night. The third confrontation, Madoka was able to kill Walurgi's Night in one shot.

Homura's repeating of events may correlate with Madoka's increasing power. Somehow, Homura's intentions could be falling right into Kyubey's intentions.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:04   Link #509
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Of course, the "while protecting them" is the issue, but I would rather wait, in order to compare several translations just in case (mistakes do happen, for instance: "戦場" translated into "History").

Also, it may be another stuff regarding kyuubey, like he had to "protect" girls at some point, not particularly one of Madoka's group though.
I initially assumed it was more directed towards Homura though I guess it could go either way. Kyuube certainly fits the not feeling anything while watching so many girls suffer and lose their lives. But if Madoka finds out about the time travel could ask the same to Homura. While Madoka was always her primary goal could see Madoka asking if she didn't feel anything for Mami, Sayaka, and Kyoko and what they went through.

Will have to wait and see what happens in the next episode.
Quote:

Probably the most subtle of all is how Madoka has been a magical girl in several quantum timelines. Despite being hailed by Kyubey as the "most powerful magical girl ever" Madoka was killed no less than twice by Walpurgi's Night. The third confrontation, Madoka was able to kill Walurgi's Night in one shot.

Homura's repeating of events may correlate with Madoka's increasing power. Somehow, Homura's intentions could be falling right into Kyubey's intentions.
Maybe it has to do with wishes and potential. If Madoka's wish in those early timelines were frivilous and just wanting to be a magical girl then her ability might have been low. But wanting to save Homura from a huge threat required much more power and might have let her tap into her potential better.
Old 2011-03-11, 17:05   Link #510
Sekishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by taofd View Post
Not an accurate comparison. For your comparison to work, the money you made would go to saving the lives of 100 million elsewhere. Is it that easy to compare now?

What if you had a guarantee that if you killed ten million individuals, you would save ten times that in return?
It seems to me you didn'T get the example.

A salesman selling shitty products, that cause the deaths of customers, isn't going to end as charity person donating the money he made selling said fail products. He will spend the rest of his life on a caribbean island with cocktails and a harem of beautiful well stacked women.
Sekishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:06   Link #511
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:

As someone said earlier, it is the wish that gives strength. In every one but the previous timeline, Madoka became a magical girl already, and her wish was probably something very stupid (cake!). Remember how the powers magical girls have are tied very closely to the wish they make and their feelings and convictions behind that wish? Previous timeline Madoka made her wish in circumstances quite difference from all the earlier timelines, so thus her wish granted her equivalent power, or just allowed her full potential to manifest.

I doubt she's getting more powerful in each iteration, it's just that in all the earlier iterations, she was able to use her full potential.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:06   Link #512
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
Homura is tech the official main heroine of this series now isn't she?

Also to fix everything Madoka need only make one wish:

"I Wish QB had never existed"

Thus solving everything with a self destructing paradox.
Divide by 0 universe implodes
Old 2011-03-11, 17:09   Link #513
Sheba
Cannot Unsee It

I'd second Homura's actual weapon being her shield. Since "protecting Madoka" is part of her wish, it does make sense.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:16   Link #514
taofd

Quote:
Since her vow is to protect (instead of slaying anything), perhaps her "real" weapon is actually the shield, since it is the only thing that stands out aside of her attire, which actually fits Homura prior her conviction kicking full drive.
Not only it bestows her the power to time freeze, but it is also a dimensional pocket as well, which doesn't seem to be something other girls have.

But as far as it goes, we should keep in mind that Aoki may not know the full picture of the story, so it is possible that she didn't know that the bow wasn't meant to be Homura's, and still included it in the promotional illustrations. That or the idea was scrapped midway, as it is possible Urobuchi and/or Shinbo changed their mind at some point.
This point is understandable, because there isn't any weapon left (we got swords and guns, and if the bow is taken, there isn't really many classic weapons that would match Madoka), so they probably put the bow on Madoka, so Homura has something more... "exotic".
The exact quote is: "Watashi wa Kaname-san to no deai yo yarinaoshitai. Kanojo ni mamorareru watashi ja nakute, Kanojo mamoru watashi ni naritai."

I want to fix my meeting with Kaname (Madoka). Rather than being protected by that girl, I want to become her protector.

Once again, my Japanese is abysmal, so native speakers please feel free to correct me.

It sounds like there are two clauses to the wish

1) To fix her meeting with Madoka
2) To become her protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
It seems to me you didn'T get the example.

A salesman selling shitty products, that cause the deaths of customers, isn't going to end as charity person donating the money he made selling said fail products. He will spend the rest of his life on a caribbean island with cocktails and a harem of beautiful well stacked women.
And you didn't get my point. You are comparing QB to a salesman selling shitty products, but keep in mind that he is doing this to save the universe.

Pretty big difference IMO.
taofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:20   Link #515
Doddler

Send a message via ICQ to Doddler Send a message via MSN to Doddler
Homura healing her eyes with magic isn't that surprising. She seems to have gotten over the heart disease thing pretty quick too. Healing herself is something I imagine she can do, after all Kyubey said that that's one of the main advantages of being separated from your soul.

But onto the important stuff, like how it will end. Basically, I can only see one way it can end; it will involve a sacrifice. Homura will have to sacrifice herself to save Madoka, or Madoka will sacrifice herself to save Homura. It seems unlikely that Homura can beat Walprugis on her own even sacrificing herself, so it seems more likely that Madoka will make the move. It seemed obvious in the episode that time didn't loop automatically, but was a conscious effort by Homura to reset time once she realized she couldn't save her. Homura has to be both alive, and be a magical girl for time to loop. Both of those could possibly change, by either Homura or Madoka's wish. Otherwise, I don't see any reasonable way it could end without her just resetting time again. Walprugis has to die, and Madoka is the only one that can do that.
Doddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:41   Link #516
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
As someone said earlier, it is the wish that gives strength. In every one but the previous timeline, Madoka became a magical girl already, and her wish was probably something very stupid (cake!). Remember how the powers magical girls have are tied very closely to the wish they make and their feelings and convictions behind that wish? Previous timeline Madoka made her wish in circumstances quite difference from all the earlier timelines, so thus her wish granted her equivalent power, or just allowed her full potential to manifest.

I doubt she's getting more powerful in each iteration, it's just that in all the earlier iterations, she was able to use her full potential.
No, that is exactly what I meant.

Take for example the "original" timeline. Madoka was defeated and killed by Walpurgi's Night. Trying to stop this, Homura travels back into time.

Now, the current timeline. Homura is trying to stop Madoka from contracting. But in doing so, she is indirectly changing Madoka's wish from something trivial to something massive.

Kyubey wants Madoka to make an important wish, so he can acquire more energy from Madoka's emotions. The irony is that Homura's actions are working into Kyubey's plans.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:48   Link #517
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Does seem like things are going right how QB would want. Homura's improving his haul by making Madoka's wish be something much more important.
Old 2011-03-11, 17:52   Link #518
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
No, that is exactly what I meant.

Take for example the "original" timeline. Madoka was defeated and killed by Walpurgi's Night. Trying to stop this, Homura travels back into time.

Now, the current timeline. Homura is trying to stop Madoka from contracting. But in doing so, she is indirectly changing Madoka's wish from something trivial to something massive.

Kyubey wants Madoka to make an important wish, so he can acquire more energy from Madoka's emotions. The irony is that Homura's actions are working into Kyubey's plans.
I'm not entirely sure about that. I mean, we don't actually know whether Witch Madoka is any stronger. For all we know, becoming a Witch just unleashes her full potential, which QB can harvest, so as long as she turns into a Witch, then QB meets his quota. Her wish just makes her strong/stronger as a magical girl. We didn't actually see the aftermath of what happened when she turned into a Witch in the other time lines because Homura jumped before then.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 18:02   Link #519
Sheba
Cannot Unsee It

Quote:
Originally Posted by taofd View Post

And you didn't get my point. You are comparing QB to a salesman selling shitty products, but keep in mind that he is doing this to save the universe.

Pretty big difference IMO.
I am sorry, but logic be damned, the idea of the extermination of our specie as an unfortunate consequence of QB's plan is not really sitting well with me. That Madoka called him "the enemy", and that QB talked about the aftermath of the last loop in terms that can be put as "So long, thanks for the fish" just serves to drive the point home for me.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 18:04   Link #520
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I am sorry, but logic be damned, the idea of the extermination of our specie as an unfortunate consequence of QB's plan is not really sitting well with me. That Madoka called him "the enemy", and that QB talked about the aftermath of the last loop in terms that can be put as "So long, thanks for the fish" just serves to drive the point home for me.
Nah, I think we should all sacrifice ourselves because it's a good cause.

Because umm... he said so. OK!

Honestly he could randomly recited words from some bad random sci-fi novel and his argument would be the same.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka magica, time travel