AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: -Your- picks for the best songs in Macross Frontier [Multiple-pick Option Enabled]
Welcome To My FanClub's Night! 67 21.47%
Shinkuu no Diamond Crevasse 108 34.62%
Aimo ~Tori no Hito 83 26.60%
Infinity 84 26.92%
Diamond Crevasse ~Sheryl Only♥ 183 58.65%
Northern Cross 150 48.08%
Anata no Oto 55 17.63%
Seikan Hikōu 82 26.28%
Yousei 98 31.41%
Ai Oboete Imasu ka ~Ranka 76 24.36%
Watashi no Kare wa Pilot 30 9.62%
Lion 164 52.56%
Diamond Crevasse 50/50 36 11.54%
Aoi no Ether 49 15.71%
Neko Nikki 20 6.41%
Nyan Nyan Service Medley 101 32.37%
What 'bout my star?@Formo 109 34.94%
Triangler ~ Maaya Sakomoto 71 22.76%
Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don't be late 88 28.21%
What 'bout my star? ~Sheryl 78 25.00%
Aimo OC 52 16.67%
Triangular - Duet - 93 29.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-03-18, 19:03   Link #2621
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Yes, but what I'm thinking is that when Nakajima started, they thought she couldn't reach the potential of the other singers, especially like Utada Hikari, and so they forced her to do the same tone over and over again. Remember that she has singles and songs before Macross F. THEN Macross F came and Kawamori hired her. Then, when she released her first full album, May'n had already become 3 times more popular because of Sheryl. And so, she didn't get much attention. It doesn't help that she plays a character that's probably not only younger than her but acts like a child most of the time. It's sad.

As for May'n; she didn't seem to like Macross F at first, from what I recall; but once she became Sheryl, she became attached to her character just as Nakajima was Ranka. But Kawamori didn't like her normal voice, I guess, and hired Aya Endo. How cute...
Umm...yeah. None of this is true.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 20:26   Link #2622
ippus
An Avid YotStrife shipper
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In a hole
unsurprising >_>
ippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 02:03   Link #2623
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
She was picked LONG before May'n was for Sheryl's singer. I know this because it says so on Wikipedia that Ranka was the first character created in Macross Frontier and that Kawamori picked Nakajima after searching around for a while. Kawamori didn't name it Macross F until the premiere. How cute...

The problem that Nakajima has is that her record company probably thinks she should remain at the "Ranka voice" so kids will buy her albums. I hate to say it, but most sales ARE geared towards kids in certain times. For Nakajima, she has the ability to still sound young, and they take advantage of that for now. May'n, she can still pull it off, but she sound older than she actually is; whilst Nakajima still holds her teen years in form even!
... Umm, yeah, so she won the audition that specifically held for Ranka's voice and song. So? I certainly don't know why you mentioned that @_@

And 'most sales (in this case her singles) are geared towards kids'? I am currently what-ing at that. >______> I'm more inclined to believe that anime that she has starred in are geared towards teenagers (Kobato is more generalized and for girls, Kampfer is err... For males, as expected, MacrossF, though Basquash is arguable). In that case, wouldn't the target audience would be more appropriate to be teenagers than kids like you are claiming?

Also, I think I burned my mind when I realized she is voicing a mecha-musume character in a game (EYES. MIND. NOOO.)

In any case, Iunno why the heck you are Goddess-ifying NakaMegu while trying to downplay May'n contributions in a way. The claim that Kawamori doesn't like May'n voice is probably the most egregious one I have heard of. (I mean, c'mon, do all characters that has lots of singing have to be voiced by people who are able to sing? CV-ing =/= singing, May'n obviously is trained for singing only. :S)
__________________

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 03:51   Link #2624
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
... Umm, yeah, so she won the audition that specifically held for Ranka's voice and song. So? I certainly don't know why you mentioned that @_@
Ranka's character was the main character in the beginning. Alto, as the male role in this, was the lead in the end. But, before you can say Alto was the lead from the beginning, think about it? How would we know that Kawamori did not plan to make it boy/girl/boy? I read that Sheryl's character, in the production of the show, was not given a lead role as one of the girls until after Kawamori discussed with the character design and he saw potential in Sheryl. So he gave her a more major role in the story.

Other possibilities were either Nanase or Brera, if you look at it.
After all, Nanase has a crush on Alto very early on. Brera tends to be protective of Ranka. In a lot of ways, either person could've taken Sheryl's place in the original script. Being a writer, I've also done this: reconsidered my options of ending or roles for characters.

I see how he could get the idea of Ranka/Alto/Nanase or even Alto/Ranka/Brera.
For the first, Nanase is an older girl whom lives off in a dream world of romance, much like Minmei whilst Ranka is the younger girl whom has a dream world of her own but knows the importance of death from her past. Most likely, Ranka would've won the triangle in that case, given their character difference.
For the second, Alto is very dense and often easily distracted, and a brat at most times, whilst Brera is protective and able to defend when necessary, but also listens. I think that Alto would've won the triangle because... well, Brera is an android... and also, if Kawamori stuck with the "brother" move at the end, it would've ticked off the whole romance situation. But really, I still think Alto would've won without it just because Ranka starts to love him from the beginning of the series.

But when he chose Sheryl: he literally oversold her.
Sheryl's character took way more steps than anyone in the Frontier storyline, even Alto - the main character! She not only grows up and opens her heart, but she learns the importance of life itself and everything else whilst Alto still remains a dense idiot thinking he can make a difference (as Yasaburou so kindly interprets behind the words "if there wasn't an enemy, would you fight?") and Ranka remains a dreamy girl whom wants to save the world but doesn't quite know how.
If you look back at Macross F in 40 years, the only thing you'll remember is Sheryl. Not even Alto: the star; or Ranka: the loli.

But he doesn't want you to forget the three of them, which is why he was so uptight about the movie's release. If he had followed the original story he had with the 25 episodes, he would've ended up building up Sheryl to a climatic close and you'd forget Ranka's contribution at all to the series. He wants you to remember Macross Frontier: Alto Saotome, Sheryl Nome, and Ranka Lee (even in that order).
Look at it this way, 9/10 people I talk to about Macross 7 only remember Basara or Fire Bomber, never the singers from it like Mylene. To be quite honest with you, most people remember Minmei and Misa because they were neck and neck at the end of 1982's 1st Macross series. Their popularity was the same at the end of the series. But when it comes to Macross Zero, most people don't notice the Mao was even there. It's times like that that Kawamori realizes they don't truly respect his characters as a whole. And so, he contributed more.
Honestly, if you hadn't watched SDF-1, would you realize that Klan and Michael replace Max and Milia in Macross F? No. You would not. You would probably not realize until you read an interview somewhere that Kawamori based Macross F after his previous Macross series.
That is what Kawamori addresses with the movie. Now you will forever remember Sheryl - the character who captured your heart in the series, Ranka - whom gave her blood to save Sheryl in the movie and contributed to the ending battle, and Alto - whom died to save them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
And 'most sales (in this case her singles) are geared towards kids'? I am currently what-ing at that. >______> I'm more inclined to believe that anime that she has starred in are geared towards teenagers (Kobato is more generalized and for girls, Kampfer is err... For males, as expected, MacrossF, though Basquash is arguable). In that case, wouldn't the target audience would be more appropriate to be teenagers than kids like you are claiming?

Also, I think I burned my mind when I realized she is voicing a mecha-musume character in a game (EYES. MIND. NOOO.)
Yes, a lot of her songs are geared towards children. She may play teenagers, but like with Macross, the series was geared more towards children with Ranka and especially Kobato. A lot of companies do that. Since kids are mostly the 3/4 product selling bin, it's only wise to do so. I mean, there are 3 times as many children things as adult things in anime. There's less Hentai than shoujo anime or manga. Most of it is geared towards kids.

But with Megumi Nakajima, maybe they think she can't do any better. She hasn't had proper training, I assume. I think that she isn't like Megumi Hayashibara, whom could fit more than one role because her voice was that flexible. Perhaps Nakajima just can't fit the "sad" role or "lonely" voice. It is more than just the "geared towards kids" part, but perhaps that's where they think her music can go at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
In any case, Iunno why the heck you are Goddess-ifying NakaMegu while trying to downplay May'n contributions in a way. The claim that Kawamori doesn't like May'n voice is probably the most egregious one I have heard of. (I mean, c'mon, do all characters that has lots of singing have to be voiced by people who are able to sing? CV-ing =/= singing, May'n obviously is trained for singing only. :S)
I'm not saying Nakajima is a goddess and nor did I say May'n is bad. I was mentioning the fact Nakajima could play a child role like Amu from Shugo Chara but May'n might not have the voice to. I don't really like when May'n speaks in English. She completely skips words or you don't understand them at all. Like, for instance, Yousei... it took me forever to realize she was saying "fairy, realize that I can feel on my soul." And that was in English.

May'n is not a kid-friendly person in the sense of playing a child or teenager role other than Sheryl, probably.
Nakajima, however, is. And they take advantage of that.

Now Sheryl's voice actor, she might. (I freaking forgot how to spell her name again. >____> I blame Google for several different answers... Aido, Endo... ugh...) It depends on how high her voice can get or whether her training is good enough.

A voice actor like Kagome's from Inuyasha might be able to play Ranka and Sheryl without anyone noticing. She was a good voice actor.



Earthquake news about Kawamori and staff!
News about Kawamori: he's alive.
News about Studio Nue: they're okay!

Phew, I checked on all the studio sites and they reported they are okay. Apparently, Kawamori and staff were in Hong Kong at the time of the earthquake.
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 04:43   Link #2625
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Umm...yeah. None of this is true.
Which is why I've stopped debating with LoveMeKags. Outright making up stuff is not a foundation for a discussion. It's fanfiction.
__________________
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 06:46   Link #2626
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Snipping the reply for the first one since it is way too off-topic for Music discussion. That and I'm lazy to think with all this multi-tasking atm That and I suspect my tl;dr hurts people's eyes. >_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Yes, a lot of her songs are geared towards children. She may play teenagers, but like with Macross, the series was geared more towards children with Ranka and especially Kobato. A lot of companies do that. Since kids are mostly the 3/4 product selling bin, it's only wise to do so. I mean, there are 3 times as many children things as adult things in anime. There's less Hentai than shoujo anime or manga. Most of it is geared towards kids.
Really, I wasn't talking about the role NakaMegu plays, but how the series she has been starring at is not really geared towards kids. Heh. If you're talking about shows that is geared towards kids, the example is something along the line of "able to be watched with family" and/or "sparkly shoujo magic" and some other stuffs involving no logic needed for adventure.

And Macross F (the one where most of her songs comes from) is not. Her songs for dorama stuffs doesn't seem to be so. Kobato might, but honestly I'm putting my bet that it has quite a lot of teenagers too. Basquash's Eclipse group is incredible for the seiyuu's fanbase. Kampfer is without doubt seiyuu fanbase-milking. Don't even make me say anything about the mecha-musume part ;_;

... And personally speaking, when I was a kid, I care little about buying CDs and would rather buy those *shudders* Barbie-esque toys. Or merchandise with anime characters. Which is why aiming to sell J-pop CDs to kids were never in the mind of money-making producers. Frankly speaking, seiyuus/J-Pop singers-related products seems to be more marketed towards teenagers and up. Would kids ever buy Budokan concerts tickets/DVDs, commonly speaking? Would kids ever buy seiyuus' magazines to search more for their idol? Only a handful methinks.

Quote:
I'm not saying Nakajima is a goddess and nor did I say May'n is bad. I was mentioning the fact Nakajima could play a child role like Amu from Shugo Chara but May'n might not have the voice to. I don't really like when May'n speaks in English. She completely skips words or you don't understand them at all. Like, for instance, Yousei... it took me forever to realize she was saying "fairy, realize that I can feel on my soul." And that was in English.
I'm not saying that you say May'n is bad, but the problem is that you have been downplaying May'n roles in building Sheryl's character just because she is only playing Sheryl's singing part, while you have been err... 'Glorifying' to put it lightly about NakaMegu's playing Ranka's singing and speaking voice at the same time. Just because one seems to have easier time to optimize the job, doesn't really mean that the other who did both jobs to be more incredible. I mean, it's pretty risky to have too different voice when singing and speaking normally--they could result in being too weird.

And again, May'n is not doing any training for voice actors which is why the notion of her voicing a character is not really applicable. Again, Singers =/= voice actors, even though some voice actors do sing (Haruka Tomatsu comes to the mind) they never have the exclusiveness like singers have in terms of royalties, since the focus of VA is voice acting.

I have been saying quite a lot of time that I'm a bit rocky when it comes to NakaMegu thanks to her doing both singing and VAing in her debut rather than focusing on one area firstmost--I found her VAing in the original series to be lacking in something that makes her memorable, and her songs have rather easy pitch which while put her clear voice better, it doesn't show her skill to be a flexible singer. Still not liking her VA job, but I do like her singing more as of now :3

And most Japanese speaks Engrish. Really. Now don't say that "BUT HIKKI. D: SHE SPEAKS ENGLISH WUNDARFULLY" as the counter argument--There are differences if you have stayed abroad and know how weird speaking English with Japanese way of pronouncing words. (FYI, I have a Japanese friend in my training year. I was... Kinda confused when she do presentation in her first year. )

Quote:
Now Sheryl's voice actor, she might. (I freaking forgot how to spell her name again. >____> I blame Google for several different answers... Aido, Endo... ugh...) It depends on how high her voice can get or whether her training is good enough.
I believe Aya Endou is way more talented than you can think of. I'm not really a fan of Aya's voice, tbh (I prefer SaiGAR and Paku Romi and Oohara Sayaka <3 Yes, so I like deeper voice for girls, shut it those who know my preference!), however she does have quite the talent for portraying characters with different personalities. Rather than having to be able to play fully different characters or able to cange their voice, I would have to say that I prefer a seiyuu that can put a strong foundation on her acting ability, since this will differentiate them from the others easily. Quite frankly, after hearing male seiyuus who can convincingly play female voice (although experienced listener/longtime fan of the seiyuu would be having some snickers with it ), I don't think seiyuus are unable to get out of their comfort zone of their pitch. They just prefer to play in their reachable pitch so that the impacting parts punched people on the spot.

... /cough seiyuu mania persona is turned off. COUGH.
__________________


Last edited by Natsuki Hyuga; 2011-03-19 at 07:06. Reason: Hurrr, why did I include that part.
Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 07:01   Link #2627
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
... /cough seiyuu mania persona is turned off. COUGH.
Agreed. I guess we can say that we each have our own views of the seiyuu's that played our favorite characters (or 2).

On other news, I just found out that Kawamori and staff were in Hong Kong at the time of the earthquake and tsunami. They are fine. There is no word on Macross F, though, so I'm supposing they haven't figured out about the studio building itself yet?

I'm still wondering if there is another album for Macross F coming out. Someone put up that one would come out this month ("the end of triangle album") and another would be the soundtrack (like background music I suppose). Perhaps he/she doesn't truly know what Kawamori has in store. Then again, perhaps he might release a few more singles. It is like Kawamori to release singles. Just look at the first movie.

But that's assuming the studio is okay.

As for Nakajima, I'm glad she's okay. And May'n too. I would say that once you know the seiyuu are fine, I'd think you'd update about the studio itself; as even if the seiyuu survive, without the studio, what would be of Macross?
According to Anime Network, Studio Nue hasn't updated; but Kawamori says that his crew was with him and that no injuries should befall people left in Japan. I'm supposing that he felt the earthquake or tsunami from Hong Kong cause it says "the river is rustling" on his twitter on March 11th right at the time of the earthquake.
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 08:28   Link #2628
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
She was picked LONG before May'n was for Sheryl's singer. I know this because it says so on Wikipedia that Ranka was the first character created in Macross Frontier and that Kawamori picked Nakajima after searching around for a while. Kawamori didn't name it Macross F until the premiere. How cute...
Hmm...kinda right, kinda wrong.

I think the problem is that you make a lot of assumptions, but don't label them as such.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 08:30   Link #2629
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Hmm...kinda right, kinda wrong.

I think the problem is that you make a lot of assumptions, but don't label them as such.
I call it "fanfiction".
__________________
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 09:53   Link #2630
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Ranka's character was the main character in the beginning. Alto, as the male role in this, was the lead in the end. But, before you can say Alto was the lead from the beginning, think about it? How would we know that Kawamori did not plan to make it boy/girl/boy? I read that Sheryl's character, in the production of the show, was not given a lead role as one of the girls until after Kawamori discussed with the character design and he saw potential in Sheryl. So he gave her a more major role in the story.
that's actually not true that was based on false interviews. Please read the faq page first.

Quote:
Other possibilities were either Nanase or Brera, if you look at it.
After all, Nanase has a crush on Alto very early on. Brera tends to be protective of Ranka. In a lot of ways, either person could've taken Sheryl's place in the original script. Being a writer, I've also done this: reconsidered my options of ending or roles for characters.

I see how he could get the idea of Ranka/Alto/Nanase or even Alto/Ranka/Brera.
For the first, Nanase is an older girl whom lives off in a dream world of romance, much like Minmei whilst Ranka is the younger girl whom has a dream world of her own but knows the importance of death from her past. Most likely, Ranka would've won the triangle in that case, given their character difference.
For the second, Alto is very dense and often easily distracted, and a brat at most times, whilst Brera is protective and able to defend when necessary, but also listens. I think that Alto would've won the triangle because... well, Brera is an android... and also, if Kawamori stuck with the "brother" move at the end, it would've ticked off the whole romance situation. But really, I still think Alto would've won without it just because Ranka starts to love him from the beginning of the series.

But when he chose Sheryl: he literally oversold her.
Sheryl's character took way more steps than anyone in the Frontier storyline, even Alto - the main character! She not only grows up and opens her heart, but she learns the importance of life itself and everything else whilst Alto still remains a dense idiot thinking he can make a difference (as Yasaburou so kindly interprets behind the words "if there wasn't an enemy, would you fight?") and Ranka remains a dreamy girl whom wants to save the world but doesn't quite know how.
If you look back at Macross F in 40 years, the only thing you'll remember is Sheryl. Not even Alto: the star; or Ranka: the loli.

But he doesn't want you to forget the three of them, which is why he was so uptight about the movie's release. If he had followed the original story he had with the 25 episodes, he would've ended up building up Sheryl to a climatic close and you'd forget Ranka's contribution at all to the series. He wants you to remember Macross Frontier: Alto Saotome, Sheryl Nome, and Ranka Lee (even in that order).
Look at it this way, 9/10 people I talk to about Macross 7 only remember Basara or Fire Bomber, never the singers from it like Mylene. To be quite honest with you, most people remember Minmei and Misa because they were neck and neck at the end of 1982's 1st Macross series. Their popularity was the same at the end of the series. But when it comes to Macross Zero, most people don't notice the Mao was even there. It's times like that that Kawamori realizes they don't truly respect his characters as a whole. And so, he contributed more.
Honestly, if you hadn't watched SDF-1, would you realize that Klan and Michael replace Max and Milia in Macross F? No. You would not. You would probably not realize until you read an interview somewhere that Kawamori based Macross F after his previous Macross series.
That is what Kawamori addresses with the movie. Now you will forever remember Sheryl - the character who captured your heart in the series, Ranka - whom gave her blood to save Sheryl in the movie and contributed to the ending battle, and Alto - whom died to save them all.



Yes, a lot of her songs are geared towards children. She may play teenagers, but like with Macross, the series was geared more towards children with Ranka and especially Kobato. A lot of companies do that. Since kids are mostly the 3/4 product selling bin, it's only wise to do so. I mean, there are 3 times as many children things as adult things in anime. There's less Hentai than shoujo anime or manga. Most of it is geared towards kids.

But with Megumi Nakajima, maybe they think she can't do any better. She hasn't had proper training, I assume. I think that she isn't like Megumi Hayashibara, whom could fit more than one role because her voice was that flexible. Perhaps Nakajima just can't fit the "sad" role or "lonely" voice. It is more than just the "geared towards kids" part, but perhaps that's where they think her music can go at this point.

Doesn't belong in this section

Quote:
I'm not saying Nakajima is a goddess and nor did I say May'n is bad. I was mentioning the fact Nakajima could play a child role like Amu from Shugo Chara but May'n might not have the voice to. I don't really like when May'n speaks in English. She completely skips words or you don't understand them at all. Like, for instance, Yousei... it took me forever to realize she was saying "fairy, realize that I can feel on my soul." And that was in English.

May'n is not a kid-friendly person in the sense of playing a child or teenager role other than Sheryl, probably.
Nakajima, however, is. And they take advantage of that.
Nakajima Megumi tends to voice roles tend to be in shows aimed at teenagers.

And May'n isn't a voiceactor. Though her songs are featured in anime, movies, and videogames. You need training to become a voice actor.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 10:15   Link #2631
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
BTW, just asking once again, are there more WinAmp skins for Sheryl than the one with her alone ( the pink one ) and the one with Ranka? I'm kinda hankering for a change for my player... ^^
__________________
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 11:01   Link #2632
triangler_fans1
MAMEGU fan
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Uruguay - South America
Age: 26
Both are great singers.
triangler_fans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 13:17   Link #2633
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
that's actually not true that was based on false interviews. Please read the faq page first.
How easily people forget.

Does it matter whose voice was 'searched' first? Pip Bernadotte was the first character Hirano created ever (he made him for rpgs during high school and became attached to him above any character). He was still not the main character for Hellsing.

Anyway, the story was mean to have two singers.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 13:51   Link #2634
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Idaho, USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I don't really like when May'n speaks in English. She completely skips words or you don't understand them at all. Like, for instance, Yousei... it took me forever to realize she was saying "fairy, realize that I can feel on my soul." And that was in English.
Really? It's pretty clear what she's saying when I listen to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
May'n is not a kid-friendly person in the sense of playing a child or teenager role other than Sheryl, probably.
Nakajima, however, is. And they take advantage of that.
Except she's not a VA. Her primary career is being a music artist, and not always associated with anime.

One of the qualities of May'n's music that I like is that it sounds mature, like music for an older audience. "Get Ready," "Moshimo Kimi ga Negau no Nara," and "XYZ"? Oh yes~ <3 It's catchy, pleasant to the ears, and not every track sounds like a character single (at least, to me. I don't picture Sheryl singing May'n's music anymore since I've picked up Styles, Ready Go!, and If you... over the past year).
Mamegu has been putting out more beautiful songs through Macross lately that I really enjoy, namely "Songbird." More music like that, and I think Mamegu could blow everyone away.
Both artists will be okay in my book as long as they don't try to pull a "Boku wa Kuma." (I don't completely understand why Hikki did that song in the first place, since it's really out of place on her Heart Station album as a children's song.)

Though, I've noticed a change in how May'n sings since the beginning of Macross Frontier. I can't really put my finger on it, but she sounds different now, and I noticed it more with her If you... album and her songs on the Netabare album. It's a positive change, IMO. Her singing sounds more established, I think?
(I'm sorry if it sounds really vague, because I'm not entirely sure how to put it into words myself.)

IIRC, she was uncomfortable with her high-pitch voice at one point because she didn't like the way it sounded, or something along those lines? I remember reading it somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
And most Japanese speaks Engrish. Really. Now don't say that "BUT HIKKI. D: SHE SPEAKS ENGLISH WUNDARFULLY" as the counter argument--There are differences if you have stayed abroad and know how weird speaking English with Japanese way of pronouncing words. (FYI, I have a Japanese friend in my training year. I was... Kinda confused when she do presentation in her first year. )
Hikki's childhood spent living in New York and Japan helps her English, too.
__________________
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 18:53   Link #2635
triangler_fans1
MAMEGU fan
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Uruguay - South America
Age: 26
Now after listening to the CD several times, I like also dShudistab

triangler_fans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 22:43   Link #2636
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
Except she's not a VA. Her primary career is being a music artist, and not always associated with anime.
I'm aware of that, ya know. I was talking about her voice on a normal day is older than it actually should sound, unlike Nakajima's, which is lowers than May'n (as usual). I've heard quite a few interviews with May'n and Nakajima and both are still very young voices but Nakajima's is still smaller than hers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
One of the qualities of May'n's music that I like is that it sounds mature, like music for an older audience. "Get Ready," "Moshimo Kimi ga Negau no Nara," and "XYZ"? Oh yes~ <3 It's catchy, pleasant to the ears, and not every track sounds like a character single (at least, to me. I don't picture Sheryl singing May'n's music anymore since I've picked up Styles, Ready Go!, and If you... over the past year).
I like XYZ! It's my favorite May'n song ever! Her voice and the way she sings in that one is beautiful. It was also the first track I listened to on that album.
Well, May'n also has that voice. She can pull it off right away. Look at some people who speak like a child and yet can pull off something like Kelly Clarkson or Celine Dion. If you need help understanding that, watch some of the American Idol finalists.
Nakajima, however, seems to have problems meeting this kind of singing. With the exception of Aoi no Ether, her songs have always sounded peppy, as if she starts to try for the serious tone and then it fades into her hyper voice. Technically, I think she has trouble keeping the tone rather than the voice itself. For Nakajima and what I noticed with Watashi ni Dekiru Koto was that she sometimes builds for the same type as Diamond Crevasse and then loses the tone halfway through. She needs training upon the tone rather than her voice.
Plus, her singing voice is always going to be different while singing. She can't help that. I sound deeper but when I sing, I sound just like Ranka - high pitched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
Mamegu has been putting out more beautiful songs through Macross lately that I really enjoy, namely "Songbird." More music like that, and I think Mamegu could blow everyone away.
I think that depends on her personal standard. Maybe she doesn't like singing with depressing music. One that still makes me cry from May'n is Yousei. I don't know why, but it does. Her voice in that was sad and depressing. I think Nakajima wants to avoid that.
But Watashi ni Dekiru Koto was a lot like Songbird with the exception of the loss of tone halfway through. I don't think that she could blow everyone away like Megumi Hayashibara or Utada Hikaru, but she could earn a platinum album section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
Both artists will be okay in my book as long as they don't try to pull a "Boku wa Kuma." (I don't completely understand why Hikki did that song in the first place, since it's really out of place on her Heart Station album as a children's song.)


It's a preference thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
Though, I've noticed a change in how May'n sings since the beginning of Macross Frontier. I can't really put my finger on it, but she sounds different now, and I noticed it more with her If you... album and her songs on the Netabare album. It's a positive change, IMO. Her singing sounds more established, I think?
(I'm sorry if it sounds really vague, because I'm not entirely sure how to put it into words myself.)
She starts out kinda with a vague tone that changes over the course of her songs, I know. I listened to Iteza Gogo Kyuuji Don't Be Late and noticed that, as one of her earliest songs; it was quite a bit different than when she sang Diamond Crevasse or Northern Cross, even Kindan no Elixir. Her voice was lower and more reserved in Iteza Gogo Kyuuji than in Northern Cross. It was also more geared towards the vocals barely being over the music, unlike with Northern Cross, where she practically melded to the music in the background.
I think that in the beginning, she wasn't quite sure what she was doing, as any normal Macross joiner. As I recall, they had the same confusion when Nakajima sang Watashi no Kare wa Pilot for the first time, trying to understand how Minmei's singer gave it to you. And they somehow ended up with what they got. It's difficult to know what the audience will expect of you and also how to portray the character you are/are not playing. And for May'n, who was not directly Sheryl's seiyuu, had to compensate for it by solving the character herself. And this left confusion, I'm sure.
Hm, you're the first person to say you like most of Sheryl's songs in the new album. Quite honestly, a lot of people say they hated the songs for their certain type of music. To me, it shows the Japanese have come a long way. I remember listening to the Slayers soundtrack the night before the Macross album first came out. I was blown away by Frontier's new album. Music has come a long way since even 1996. I embrace that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
IIRC, she was uncomfortable with her high-pitch voice at one point because she didn't like the way it sounded, or something along those lines? I remember reading it somewhere.
I don't think that's true. Nakajima never expresses uncomfortableness with her high-pitch voice. If so, she would've done something to correct it by now. After all, we have already completed Macross F, the movies, and now she has an album out with new songs. She continually gives the same pitches in all her songs and rarely keeps the tone in sad songs. I think her issue is that she needs more training on keeping the tone, cause she could pull off a Diamond Crevasse if she worked more with tone on Watashi ni Dekiru Koto.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
Hikki's childhood spent living in New York and Japan helps her English, too.
It's just, when May'n sang What 'bout my Star? @ Formo with Nakajima, her English was horrible. I remember thinking to myself "she's saying that?" when she sang "let me know what you want, I would give you." Unlike when Nakajima sings it. I guess it's because May'n has that deep voice, unlike Nakajima whilst singing.
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 23:31   Link #2637
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by triangler_fans1 View Post
Now after listening to the CD several times, I like also dShudistab

I like the song better after I read May'n commentary about it. So cute. It's about her relationship with people in general and Ranka in particular. I just love that. Like in Tablet. Warm fuzzies.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 02:59   Link #2638
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Idaho, USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by triangler_fans1 View Post
Now after listening to the CD several times, I like also dShudistab

Me, too! Sayonara no Tsubasa has grown on me, also~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
She starts out kinda with a vague tone that changes over the course of her songs, I know. I listened to Iteza Gogo Kyuuji Don't Be Late and noticed that, as one of her earliest songs; it was quite a bit different than when she sang Diamond Crevasse or Northern Cross, even Kindan no Elixir. Her voice was lower and more reserved in Iteza Gogo Kyuuji than in Northern Cross. It was also more geared towards the vocals barely being over the music, unlike with Northern Cross, where she practically melded to the music in the background.
Like that! That kind of progression is apparent in her recent songs, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Hm, you're the first person to say you like most of Sheryl's songs in the new album. Quite honestly, a lot of people say they hated the songs for their certain type of music. To me, it shows the Japanese have come a long way. I remember listening to the Slayers soundtrack the night before the Macross album first came out. I was blown away by Frontier's new album. Music has come a long way since even 1996. I embrace that.
Being a Sheryl fangirl helps. I really do enjoy, them, though. I think the one I haven't enjoyed so much is Get It On ~Kousouku KURAImax, because the syllables are crammed so close together to make singing it not so easy, and I like the Engrish version more anyway. Kindan no Elixir gives me creepy vibes (and visions of the test tube babies Yot-chan mentioned in the movie thread ), but it's catchy~ Sayonara no Tsubasa has grown on me over the past week, and F Refrain + Diamond Crevasse ~Thank You, Frontier is really pretty. Nyan Nyan Final Attack has clips from Universal Bunny, Obelisk, and Northern Cross, so I'm happy with it~ It's not as good as the Nyan Nyan Special Service medley, IMO, but I still like it.

It's a matter of taste, I guess, because I also like "Koi wa Dogfight" and "Niji-iro Kuma Kuma" on the Netabare album, and I haven't heard many people say so far that they like those songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I don't think that's true. Nakajima never expresses uncomfortableness with her high-pitch voice. If so, she would've done something to correct it by now. After all, we have already completed Macross F, the movies, and now she has an album out with new songs. She continually gives the same pitches in all her songs and rarely keeps the tone in sad songs. I think her issue is that she needs more training on keeping the tone, cause she could pull off a Diamond Crevasse if she worked more with tone on Watashi ni Dekiru Koto.
Not Mamegu, silly. I was talking about May'n.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
It's just, when May'n sang What 'bout my Star? @ Formo with Nakajima, her English was horrible. I remember thinking to myself "she's saying that?" when she sang "let me know what you want, I would give you." Unlike when Nakajima sings it. I guess it's because May'n has that deep voice, unlike Nakajima whilst singing.
Mamegu's english is clearer in that song, but I could understand both girls just fine the first time around two years ago.
__________________
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 04:19   Link #2639
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
It's a matter of taste, I guess, because I also like "Koi wa Dogfight" and "Niji-iro Kuma Kuma" on the Netabare album, and I haven't heard many people say so far that they like those songs.
I like Kuma Kuma a lot. Perhaps because I listened for the first time with some CLIPS of Ranka's concert and looked beyond gorgeous? So my head immediately linked to the graphics.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 04:44   Link #2640
soranarumi
the Crowned Clown
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I like Kuma Kuma a lot.
Niji Iro Kuma Kuma was the first Ranka solo song I loved at the first listen. I mean, a lot of her song need more time to grow in me. In netabare album, I can feel Ranka is maturing

I prefer Kousoku Climax than the English version, and I dunno why Kindan no Elixir is so hard to grow in me (maybe it was too hard for me to understand what the meaning of the song before I watch the movie first).

My favorite goes to Kuma Kuma, dShudiStab, Sayonara no Tsubasa, and F refrain.
soranarumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
music

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.