AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-03-23, 18:20   Link #121
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdk1 View Post
There are some stars that are capable of good VA work - sad shame is that there aren't all that many. Off the top of my head, David Matranga, Vic Mignogna, Todd Haberkorn, Greg Ayres (once he gets his helium fix ) Laura Bailey, Leah Clark and Luci Christian come to mind.

Not a lot - doesn't bode well.
I'm not really dissing the actors themselves - but the conditions they work in.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2011-03-23, 19:50   Link #122
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm not really dissing the actors themselves - but the conditions they work in.
I do agree with you here.

The conditions that the actors work in is the big problem. Knowing what those conditions are, I do lower my expectations a fair bit when it comes to dubs, which is probably why I'm more satisfied with what I've heard of this dub so far than what many are.

Given the conditions that English dub actors work in, and given the unique challenges in dubbing K-On!, I honestly expected a disaster here.
__________________
Triple_R is online now  
Old 2011-03-23, 21:41   Link #123
CrowKenobi
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: there... just there.
I would like to point out that one of the conditions that the English dubbers have to work under includes four dubbing centers that are separated from each other by at least the length of Japan itself! (no central dubbing location where all the VA's can congregate like in Tokyo)

But, yeah, since there are scheduling conflicts, it's probably more cost-effective to get them in the studio whenever their schedules allow...
__________________



CrowKenobi is offline  
Old 2011-03-24, 00:12   Link #124
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
I would give Mio's voice a chance because you didn't really get a feel for Mio in the original until later on. That first scene she was almost wooden if I recall originally (wasn't Mio Yoko's first time as a main roll)
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2011-03-26, 19:57   Link #125
Milu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BIG APPLE, 3AM
Age: 25
Why have there been no crossover pics of Yui doing the Mikuru Beam yet?

I am disappoint.
__________________
"Screw your boobs!"
-Kurt Angle
Milu is offline  
Old 2011-03-26, 23:40   Link #126
darkchibi07
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Who's going to Sakura-con this year?!!!

http://www.k-on.bandai-ent.com/news.php

Quote:
K-ON! Voice Actresses to Appear at Sakura Con; Episodes 1 and 2 Dubbed Premiere!

ANCEA is pleased to present Stephanie Sheh, Christina Vee, and Cassandra Lee Morris as Guests for Sakura-Con 2011. Each actress has multiple prestigious voice acting credits, but most notably they are also Yui, Mio and Ritsu in K-ON!. As a special treat, these voice actresses will be performing a mini concert prior to the premiere of Episodes 1 and 2 of K-ON! dubbed.
__________________

darkchibi07 is offline  
Old 2011-03-27, 23:14   Link #127
superslinger2007
Local "fugitive"
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: YYC / Sector PF-31707
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milu View Post
Why have there been no crossover pics of Yui doing the Mikuru Beam yet?

I am disappointed.
The least I could do is have Yui dance to Free Your Mind. (17 seconds in)**

Also, seems as though the Internet hates putting those two shows together. or giving false hope to Cliff Hanger.


**Yes, that was Stephanie Sheh in that episode. I only knew about it because she said so on Twitter.

Yes, I admit YT has problems with aspect ratio detection.
__________________

Last edited by superslinger2007; 2011-03-28 at 17:40. Reason: Direct link and timecode to cameo! Explanation added.
superslinger2007 is offline  
Old 2011-03-28, 12:22   Link #128
CrowKenobi
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: there... just there.
In reference to the deleted posts: let's remember the thread title!

Discussion of Haruhi, Endless 8, and character design is off-topic here AND will be treated as such. If you must discuss these things, take them to the appropriate threads.

Thank you.

EDIT: This thread is the English equivalent of the K-On! - Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion thread so any mention of the English VA's are welcome.
__________________




Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-03-29 at 00:35.
CrowKenobi is offline  
Old 2011-04-17, 06:30   Link #129
Ceiyne
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I watched the US blu-ray yesterday. I thought they did a pretty good job with the English voice track. I could have sworn I had read they were re-doing all of the songs but the opening and ending were the original recordings in Japanese.

Did anyone end up going to Sakura-con? How was the mini-concert? Anyone record it? :P From the interview on the blu-ray I'm guessing they sang in Japanese.
Ceiyne is offline  
Old 2011-04-17, 09:19   Link #130
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceiyne View Post
I watched the US blu-ray yesterday. I thought they did a pretty good job with the English voice track. I could have sworn I had read they were re-doing all of the songs but the opening and ending were the original recordings in Japanese.
No, they said the songs would all be in the original Japanese. I do believe an English version of Fuwa fuwa Time will be included as a bonus feature on volume two, though.
Goggen is offline  
Old 2011-04-19, 01:04   Link #131
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Making metal ... for fish
Age: 34
So the first DVD turned up in the mail today and I watched the whole thing, in English, in spite of having been up for 22 hours straight. My thoughts on the four episodes are as follows:

Generally: Like all English-language anime trailers, the one for K-On! couldn't have been worse if it featured live babies being slathered in barbecue sauce and thrown to starving tigers. It does no justice, at all, to the dub.

Impressions on the editing:
Spoiler for Ugh:

Impressions on the characters:
- Cassandra Lee nailed Ritsu. Seriously. It's hard to think of anything more to say than that. I would go so far as to say that hers is the stand-out performance of the dub.
- Mikuru Asahina Stephanie Sheh's Yui was quite good. There are many moments where Sheh succeeds in sounding just like Toyosaki Aki. It's pretty freaky.
- Shelby Lindley's Mugi is somewhere between decent and meh. It's excusable, as Mugi's character is pretty flat for the first few episodes.
- Cristina Vee's Mio . . . poor Mio, a thirty year old woman trapped in the body of a teenager. I feel for her. I really do. We know Mio's supposed to be the mature one, but she sounds way older than she should. I admit that I have quite a pronounced bias regarding Cristina Vee, so anything I write about her may be undeservedly harsh.

And as for the supporting cast:

- Laura Bailey as Charles Foster Offdensen Nodoka . . . well, Nodoka gets all of, like, ten lines in the first four episodes; but I liked every one of them.
- Xanthe Hu as Ui . . . meh. Though, in the first four episodes, Ui's characterization is pretty sparse, like Mugi; a meh performance is excusable.
- Karen Strassman as Sawako . . . in the few lines she had, it seemed like she couldn't decide whether Sawako was 35 or 55. I really hope she chose well, because the second DVD is going to lead off with a Sawako-centric episode.

All in all, it was far better than I expected. I was very pleasantly surprised.
__________________
Go into the water. Live there. Die there.
GMT is offline  
Old 2011-04-19, 14:38   Link #132
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
So the first DVD turned up in the mail today and I watched the whole thing, in English, in spite of having been up for 22 hours straight. My thoughts on the four episodes are as follows:

Generally: Like all English-language anime trailers, the one for K-On! couldn't have been worse if it featured live babies being slathered in barbecue sauce and thrown to starving tigers. It does no justice, at all, to the dub.

Impressions on the editing:
Spoiler for Ugh:

Impressions on the characters:
- Cassandra Lee nailed Ritsu. Seriously. It's hard to think of anything more to say than that. I would go so far as to say that hers is the stand-out performance of the dub.
- Mikuru Asahina Stephanie Sheh's Yui was quite good. There are many moments where Sheh succeeds in sounding just like Toyosaki Aki. It's pretty freaky.
- Shelby Lindley's Mugi is somewhere between decent and meh. It's excusable, as Mugi's character is pretty flat for the first few episodes.
- Cristina Vee's Mio . . . poor Mio, a thirty year old woman trapped in the body of a teenager. I feel for her. I really do. We know Mio's supposed to be the mature one, but she sounds way older than she should. I admit that I have quite a pronounced bias regarding Cristina Vee, so anything I write about her may be undeservedly harsh.

And as for the supporting cast:

- Laura Bailey as Charles Foster Offdensen Nodoka . . . well, Nodoka gets all of, like, ten lines in the first four episodes; but I liked every one of them.
- Xanthe Hu as Ui . . . meh. Though, in the first four episodes, Ui's characterization is pretty sparse, like Mugi; a meh performance is excusable.
- Karen Strassman as Sawako . . . in the few lines she had, it seemed like she couldn't decide whether Sawako was 35 or 55. I really hope she chose well, because the second DVD is going to lead off with a Sawako-centric episode.

All in all, it was far better than I expected. I was very pleasantly surprised.
So basically the voicing wasn't that bad -- but we may want to hogtie the dialog writers and set them on fire...
Vexx is offline  
Old 2011-04-19, 18:03   Link #133
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I got the BD today and watched the English dub. Pretty good work, like GMT I thought the actress voicing Ritsu did a great job. I also support the change from "moe moe kyun". I know this might be a minority opinion, but those sorts of things sound incredibly awkward in English. It's the same reason I don't like honorifics in dubs.
TurkeyPotPie is offline  
Old 2011-04-19, 21:24   Link #134
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
After watching the first episode of the K-On! English Dub, I have to say that I'm quite impressed.

Nobody sounded downright bad to me, while Cassandra Lee and Stephanie Sheh nailed Ritsu and Yui respectively, imo.
__________________
Triple_R is online now  
Old 2011-04-20, 00:10   Link #135
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
I got the BD today and watched the English dub. Pretty good work, like GMT I thought the actress voicing Ritsu did a great job. I also support the change from "moe moe kyun". I know this might be a minority opinion, but those sorts of things sound incredibly awkward in English. It's the same reason I don't like honorifics in dubs.
If we're going to localize.... I'd have selected something like "we're not worthy!" over "power of the cute" :P I'd have been totally fine with that.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 03:07   Link #136
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If we're going to localize.... I'd have selected something like "we're not worthy!" over "power of the cute" :P I'd have been totally fine with that.
All that would make me think of is the Alice Cooper scene in Wayne's World.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline  
Old 2011-04-21, 23:21   Link #137
Afternoon Tea
Ta~Da!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois, United States
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Afternoon Tea
The voice dub for Yui really fits her, and her voice is cute
__________________
====
Signature:
Yui Hirasawa
====
MyBlog:
Blog!

====
Quote:
"I'll send
all my loving
to you.
"


Afternoon Tea is offline  
Old 2011-04-21, 23:23   Link #138
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
All that would make me think of is the Alice Cooper scene in Wayne's World.
heh, true but "we're not worthy" is a generalized meme that most who speak english know.... otoh, "power of the cute" just sounds awkward

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-04-21 at 23:34.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2011-04-23, 12:51   Link #139
AznAndy94
The Unknown Artist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Send a message via MSN to AznAndy94 Send a message via Yahoo to AznAndy94 Send a message via Skype™ to AznAndy94
Christine Marie Cabanos is announced to play Azusa Nakano.
Source: Cristina Vee's twitter
AznAndy94 is offline  
Old 2011-05-08, 10:27   Link #140
Afternoon Tea
Ta~Da!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois, United States
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Afternoon Tea
I'm going to wait for the Special Edition Blu-Ray, or a Complete Box-set;Assuming that they ever come-out. I watched a un-boxing of Vol. 1., and It came with nothing but the Box and the CD, kind of lame.
__________________
====
Signature:
Yui Hirasawa
====
MyBlog:
Blog!

====
Quote:
"I'll send
all my loving
to you.
"


Afternoon Tea is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.