AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-04, 08:46   Link #281
Kisekai
★★☆★
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
A few freebie avatars from episode 1.





Feel free to take, and more to come!
I'm taking this one:



<33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
Plot seems a bit predictable, characters are too much stuck in their tropes to be anything approaching original so far. Main girl is annoying, don't see how anyone can relate to her stupidity.

She's behaving like a bad immigrant, leaving her country and going to another and instead of looking around and seeing what everyone else is behaving, she takes their own values and doesn't hesitate to bring her culture with no regard to what everyone else thinks. Ripping up those plants was a horrible thing to do, interrupting buisiness that has nothing to do with her, generally being a hassle when she just arrived.

Next episode should be school and lets see if she acts like an arrogant prick there too.
I agree on some of the stuff you said and not that much on other bits.
The plot looks quite predictable. A bit is not enough. I kind of remember having watched an anime similar to this one in the past and the plot usually unfolds the same way. Still, I find these sort of series very enjoyable. The characters have a solid character, you can tell every one of them will play a role in the story, not like Infinite Stratos and that stupid harem Ichika got (all the girls in the class were after him after all. We should label them as girl1, girl2... who have some lines in the whole anime and that's all). Anywho, I think this is going to be one of the strong points of this series.
Also, you're right, the girl is clumsy, meddlesome and really immature. That's what makes the story worth developing. We'll see her grow and learn how to live in such a harsh environment. At the same time makes the plot not that interesting because we somewhat know what will end up happening, but heh, the point is to see how they get there.

The animation style is excellent, the characters (male and females) are mighty cute and the old hag looked awesome. I hope they keep the episodes on a high budget though. I don't like when I can spot mistakes and errors all the time.

Anywho, I have great expectations for this anime series. I hope it doesn't let me down.
__________________
Kisekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 08:47   Link #282
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
Next episode should be school and lets see if she acts like an arrogant prick there too.
I respect your point of view and I usually hate to talk about an anime character like it was a real person... But there is a first time to anything !

According to the life she had with her mother, she's kind of an adult. An adult who doesn't really have exp in life. She's a little bit naive, but not silly. Clearly, she doesn't think like a normal teenager.

She's not being rude for acting like she does. She's just arrived in another "world", where she doesn't get how things have to be done. She needs some time to adapt...
Steping before someone to take his defense is not silly either. I would have done the same (to be put right back in the place I belong for steping in business that doesn't involve me at all...).

She is just acting like she would have back at home. But now, she's dealing with people that won't allow a 16year old girl to do things her way.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 08:54   Link #283
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
Plot seems a bit predictable, characters are too much stuck in their tropes to be anything approaching original so far. Main girl is annoying, don't see how anyone can relate to her stupidity.
I really liked her scenes in the first half of the anime, with the guy that had a crush on her. She won me over in those scenes.

However, I'll admit she's kind of impulsive once she arrives at the hot springs inn. I myself felt she was a bit too eager to rip out plants at a place she just arrived at.

It's hard for me to be hard on Ohana for her mistakes, though, because she pays quite the price for each of them, lol.

While I disagreed with her ripping out the "weeds", she didn't deserve to have death wished upon her for it, lol.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 08:59   Link #284
Vanish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
Plot seems a bit predictable, characters are too much stuck in their tropes to be anything approaching original so far. Main girl is annoying, don't see how anyone can relate to her stupidity.

She's behaving like a bad immigrant, leaving her country and going to another and instead of looking around and seeing what everyone else is behaving, she takes their own values and doesn't hesitate to bring her culture with no regard to what everyone else thinks. Ripping up those plants was a horrible thing to do, interrupting buisiness that has nothing to do with her, generally being a hassle when she just arrived.
Predictability is nothing bad. The more realistic, the less original, that's a given and also nothing bad. Ohana is 16 years old, it's normal for her to be straightforward and spontaneous. She may be stupid and spoiled in your eyes, but I find it admirable that she tries to take the burdens on her own (like wanting to be slapped out of justice feeling and trying not to cry).

I disagree. Her behaviour isn't abnormal because it's just the way she is. It's still the same country, and while it's nothing like that at all, she did expect something different (more normal) by going to her grandmother's. Well, she does kinda force her own views on the others but let's see how that will play out. I agree with the weed pulling though... oh well.
Vanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 09:01   Link #285
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
Main girl is annoying, don't see how anyone can relate to her stupidity.
She's doggedly optimistic, seeing every moment as something to appreciate, a chance to become a better person, and turns even a train ride into something approaching poetic in her head, all while trying to make everyone's lives better. I feel that description fits both me and her, and in fact she's the aspect of the show I like the most.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 09:06   Link #286
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 26
I like the characters, very strong personalities, and after just one episode they've become fairly memorable. And it's as if they're really living a life instead of just having been written for the sake of the story. Then again there isn't much of a story yet...this is a romance, right? If the show goes somewhere interesting with that, I'm sold.
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 09:10   Link #287
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
I'm very much amused by the fact that the supposed real-life location for Kissuisou (located in Kanazawa city, the capital of Ishikawa prefecture) is an already demolitioned hotel that went bankrupt in 1999 and was later on a gathering place for bousouzoku gangs and the homeless.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 09:12   Link #288
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
Plot seems a bit predictable, characters are too much stuck in their tropes to be anything approaching original so far. Main girl is annoying, don't see how anyone can relate to her stupidity.

She's behaving like a bad immigrant, leaving her country and going to another and instead of looking around and seeing what everyone else is behaving, she takes their own values and doesn't hesitate to bring her culture with no regard to what everyone else thinks. Ripping up those plants was a horrible thing to do, interrupting buisiness that has nothing to do with her, generally being a hassle when she just arrived.

Next episode should be school and lets see if she acts like an arrogant prick there too.
Uh did you grow up in Somalia or something? Where kids have to hold guns at the age of 8 and shoot their neighbours for not being pro or anti government?

Remember that though she came from a relatively abnormal family, and she is naive and has never worked in an environment full of apathetic people before.

Everyone has their own way of being friendly and respect, though concepts differ entirely from generation to generation and people to people. The onsen used as an image to show how the work traditions have been mired in the past, but nonetheless is the harshest punishment for any youth at the age of 16 who are simply going about their lives without any aims or dreams.

Her honesty is probably something that will make a difference in the lives of the people around her - though it seems that her environment will help her reflect that attribute to someone who needs it most, namely herself.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 11:19   Link #289
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Yeah, honestly that girl is so sweet and i can't believe anyone can find it in themselves to hate her. I really loved this episode. The quality and depth just completely blew me away.

I do hope things look up for her. She was really hard done by and I feel so sorry for her. Geez i can't recall the last time I felt such an emotional attachment to a character after just a single freaking episode.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 12:10   Link #290
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
Plot seems a bit predictable, characters are too much stuck in their tropes to be anything approaching original so far. Main girl is annoying, don't see how anyone can relate to her stupidity.

She's behaving like a bad immigrant, leaving her country and going to another and instead of looking around and seeing what everyone else is behaving, she takes their own values and doesn't hesitate to bring her culture with no regard to what everyone else thinks. Ripping up those plants was a horrible thing to do, interrupting buisiness that has nothing to do with her, generally being a hassle when she just arrived.

Next episode should be school and lets see if she acts like an arrogant prick there too.
I agree in general, can't say anything about the immigrant thing, but your post reminded me of this picture I saw in a blog I frequent:
http://img861.imageshack.us/i/1301918670152.jpg/
Mainly the part on the left.
Lots of comparisons with TT, indeed.
Michi = Hiromi, then? Maybe?
*starts drooling for love drama*
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 12:29   Link #291
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post
Patience. I've seen so many anime that I can already see the trajectory this one is going to go, assuming things turn ok. I kind of knew the grandma wasn't throwing candy. I thought she was going to toss a brick or a heavy pack or something.
LOL. You say you have seen so many anime that you can predict things but then you say you thought she was going to toss a brick. Sorry but I can't help but laugh at this :| Shouldn't it have been beyond obvious that she was going to make her work given that she is the owner of a hot spring inn? >.>

And whether or not she grows into a proper grandmother later on doesn't change the fact that she is quite the bitch and everyone else who works in the inn takes from her personality as well. It's not rare at all though. Work is hard and everyone who puts work before other things is more or less like that. Life is harsh. But I agree that people aren't as mean as they first appear to be. Everyone has a soft side to them. I don't know if you ever worked in an inn (I have) and the owner was pretty much like this grandmother here. But you have to come to think of your staff as your family to get any work done and I am sure this Granny here considers Minchi as such. In fact, I really liked the fact that she hit Ohana when requested. She didn't hit Ohana earlier not because she was her grandchild but because she was new. At least she is fair. Much better than some nepotistic old hag.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 12:55   Link #292
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
I watched Dog Days prior to watching this one. I was cursing myself for wasting my bandwidth and precious time. So with a sour mood I watched this after carefully reading the synopsis from AniDB. And .....

WOW!

Everything about this episode is near perfect. It's as good of an episode as it can be with a setting that can be found in so many of the classics. I loved it.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 13:17   Link #293
totoum
Gamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
She's behaving like a bad immigrant, leaving her country and going to another and instead of looking around and seeing what everyone else is behaving, she takes their own values and doesn't hesitate to bring her culture with no regard to what everyone else thinks.
She's like an immigrant leaving her country without knowing that there's values other than hers in the world,it's not that she doesn't care what everyone else thinks but more like she doesn't know that they might not think like she does.

To me she's showing ignorance rather than arrogance,big difference.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 13:35   Link #294
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
In this kind of shows, main characters are usually "inexperienced" about the world around them at first ,but they will develop themselves and become better in the future. If they are perfect from the first ep, what development would they show us?

Yes, story is predictable ,but since you can predict the goal of this show, you should change from thinking "What is the ending?" to "how it will proceed to an ending?" I use this method and can have fun with all shows.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 13:50   Link #295
coolhorsems
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Guangdong , PR China
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
LOL. You say you have seen so many anime that you can predict things but then you say you thought she was going to toss a brick. Sorry but I can't help but laugh at this :| Shouldn't it have been beyond obvious that she was going to make her work given that she is the owner of a hot spring inn? >.>

And whether or not she grows into a proper grandmother later on doesn't change the fact that she is quite the bitch and everyone else who works in the inn takes from her personality as well. It's not rare at all though. Work is hard and everyone who puts work before other things is more or less like that. Life is harsh. But I agree that people aren't as mean as they first appear to be. Everyone has a soft side to them. I don't know if you ever worked in an inn (I have) and the owner was pretty much like this grandmother here. But you have to come to think of your staff as your family to get any work done and I am sure this Granny here considers Minchi as such. In fact, I really liked the fact that she hit Ohana when requested. She didn't hit Ohana earlier not because she was her grandchild but because she was new. At least she is fair. Much better than some nepotistic old hag.

Bingo. Can't agree more. As for the grandma,I think actually she is not a bad guy as we have seen so far.There must be some reason to make her act in this way. Here are the reasonings:

1. Ohana's mother has a bad relationship with her mother, who is also Ohana's grandma. This is very obvious clue since we can see there is some rumor about naohana's mother in the inn. (A very sultry person? maybe....) We also can know that grandma is a very serious person, so it's not very hard to imagine how grandma will feel shame of her daughter's life. Since Ohana is risen by such an immature mother, it's normal for the grandma to think that this grand daughter is just a mirror of her mother. As a result, the grandma has sufficient reason to have a bad impression about this energetic but reckless girl.(Like mother, like daughter?LOL)

2. We all know in the business world one thing we hate most is that the boss recognize and promote people not based on what the have done (work performance),but who they are (the relative of the boss). Grandma is good at doing business and develop the inn quite well, so she must know that appoint people by favoritism is the wrong thing to do, otherwise it will definitely affect other employees' royalty and morale.
That's the reason why she will punished Ohana so seriously (Those are pretty heavy Claps!) to show that she will treat all employee fairly without partiality.

Believe me that no one is really bad in this show. Even the grandma may have her own tough story we haven;t seen yet.I guess the theme of this show is focus on communication,between friends, between lovers, and between different generations. And this is also the style of P.A Work : Always showing people the warm and positive sides about the life.
Anyway ,we will see what happen next week.
coolhorsems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 14:45   Link #296
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
I'm surprised anyone can dislike the main character for acting the way she is. She was "raised" by a single irresponsible mother and has never had a job before.

She was abruptly abandoned by her mother and forced to live with her grandmother, who is not only strict, but has reason to dislike her.
Now she has to work to earn her living in a new environment with no friends and no one to relate to. Any attempts at being friendly were either rejected or backfired on her and everyone already sees her as her Mother's daughter before they even get to know her.

Frankly, I'm impressed she had the strength of character to stand up to her grandmother and state her opinion. The grandmother actually looked like she was impressed as well, so I hope she quickly comes to understand that her granddaughter isn't a lost cause like her disowned daughter was/is.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 15:15   Link #297
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Regardless of who is at fault though Grandma is really looking for someone to blame, she had no to right to hit an employee who is also a minor.

In the end Grandma is the one at fault since one she accepted/hired Ohana in the inn, two she didn't assign somebody to teach Ohana the ropes.
ReddyRedWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 15:20   Link #298
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Partially true, but hitting the employee thing is more of a culture thing imo, it could even be that she is the girl's guardian, since she is also living at the inn.
Remember, a minor in Japan is <14, so they technically aren't minors.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 15:30   Link #299
Foreshadow
Nyaa~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Age: 26
I had fun with this episode. So I'm going to continue the series. A good way to introduce the main character in the city but the situation to put her in the inn was disappointing.
The mother really put me off and so did the grandmother. I'm sure the grandmother will win me over in time, but I'm not sure about the mother.

Ohana has alot to learn, But I'm sure that's exactly what this story is going to tell. Predictability is fine, execution is crucial.

Looking forward to the next episode!
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 15:38   Link #300
Wakan Tanka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tunisia


A twist struck me...this beauty is Ohana' real mother...
__________________
"Never trust women's tears." ‿‿
Wakan Tanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, pa works, romance, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.