AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-06, 15:24   Link #401
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
What psychologists say is often heavily influenced by the cultural attitudes surrounding them. It really wasn't that long ago that homosexuality was considered a mental disorder, for example.
Sure, but they didn't have much in the way of studies to back up the homosexuality-as-disorder claim. They do for the corporal punishment one.
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 15:26   Link #402
Haak
Watching Ookami Shoujo...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Hey come on. Give psychologists more credit than that. It's become a lot more scientific now.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 15:29   Link #403
Jao
panchi~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Now, that's not to defend the grandmother here. Ohana is quite able to listen to reason, I think. So in this case, corporeal punishment is almost certainly inadvisable.
Really it was the Minko slap that got me. Way to sow the seeds of distrust amongst your employees, granny.
__________________
In my world far removed from the actual
Safe in my small amorality capsule
I cruise far aloof of the other world's flaws
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Jao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 15:30   Link #404
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Age: 29
Yeah, Grandma needs room to develop, and this gives her plenty.

Speaking of character development, I noticed that they not-so-subtly marked Ohana's starting point, complete with a conversation with Ko over what she plans to do after high school, where she gives the stock carefree response of "who knows". Look for Ko, or someone else to give her the "It's like you're a different person now" speech some time in the second half
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 15:33   Link #405
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Sure, but they didn't have much in the way of studies to back up the homosexuality-as-disorder claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Hey come on. Give psychologists more credit than that. It's become a lot more scientific now.
Sure, sure, but don't you think it's possible that psychologists in the future will consider us just as backwards as we consider those from a century ago? It's an ever-evolving field, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jao View Post
Really it was the Minko slap that got me. Way to sow the seeds of distrust amongst your employees, granny.
Yeah, that was intentional on her part. This way, Ohana feels even more terrible than she would otherwise.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 15:39   Link #406
Haak
Watching Ookami Shoujo...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Sure, sure, but don't you think it's possible that psychologists in the future will consider us just as backwards as we consider those from a century ago? It's an ever-evolving field, after all.
Cultural and time bias is a known criticism in pychological studies as well as psychological theories. If that happens then I think it will likely be a measured and rational response. Hey there could be some bias but I don't think it will be too much.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 15:42   Link #407
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
I'd sue that grandmother anytime for child violence or mistreat of an under-aged employee.

Though, I've seen her archetype thousands times over, it'll actually be a plot twist if she's revealed to be really bad.

Although I'm not really against punishments like that, slapping the face twice till your nose bleed is really going over the top. It's no better than punching in the eye to make it bruised. Actually, I'm against slapping in general. Nothing good comes out of it. Spanking and pinching are acceptable as an educative means in early ages. Though...

Quote:
Slapping them at that age is about the only viable form of corporal punishment, it is something that can't be shrugged off and is humiliating when others are present to witness it.
This I quite agree. But like I said, parents don't usually punish their children till they bleed, and certainly not to leave mark at visible places. Especially not to a girl. Also, pinching can actually quite hurt if you do it right.

Also adding: I think the grandmother's view that the "employees comes after last" is not good for business actually. An inn is where you serve customers, taking care of them. How can you properly and satisfyingly serve customers if you can't properly serve yourself? Almost certainly such an inn will have an employee that actually complains to the customers about the way they're treated, and it will lead to rumors and such rumors will lead to less customers. Less customer is bad for business.
__________________

Last edited by erneiz_hyde; 2011-04-06 at 15:54.
erneiz_hyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 15:53   Link #408
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Uh. Ohana's nose wasn't bleeding because she got slapped, but because her nose bleeds easily. I have a friend like that.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 16:01   Link #409
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 28
She was slapped thrice-fold, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Uh. Ohana's nose wasn't bleeding because she got slapped, but because her nose bleeds easily. I have a friend like that.
This is true; it was established early on. It's also true for me. Sucks beyond belief, particularly when they just start with no warning.
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 16:10   Link #410
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
As others have said, it was established early on that Ohana nosebleeds extremely easily. I imagine any significant amount of blood rushing to her head will cause it.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 18:38   Link #411
RedWing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
We don't know the relationship between Minko and the grandmother - since she lives there it isn't too hard to believe that she is more than just an employee. If she is an employee then I disagree with the slap, but if she is fostering her, then it's A-OK.
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 20:49   Link #412
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Sure, sure, but don't you think it's possible that psychologists in the future will consider us just as backwards as we consider those from a century ago? It's an ever-evolving field, after all.
I'm pretty sure you will be able to say the same for the other sciences, hard or soft. I can easily imagine kids in the future in a science class, reading about today's quantum physicists in their textbooks and going, "lolwut, how could they ever have thought that could even be true?"



On-topic, like I implied in my previous post, I grew up at a time when corporeal punishment was still widely practised; heck, I might have been part of the last generation when it was still possible. I don't remember being slapped though, but then again, my memory sucks, so I wouldn't rely on it over-much.

So I'm on the side of those who doesn't think any worse of the grandmother for doing what she did, not least because I've seen too many kids these days who apparently never got the attitude adjustments they needed. Ugly sight, for sure.

I do find the grandmother's slapping of Minko a tad iffy though, mostly because Minko's not her own child or grandchild. I've never seen that kind of thing, but then again, my place of resident isn't that traditional, so who knows.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 21:28   Link #413
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I'm pretty sure you will be able to say the same for the other sciences, hard or soft. I can easily imagine kids in the future in a science class, reading about today's quantum physicists in their textbooks and going, "lolwut, how could they ever have thought that could even be true?"

Human history has shown us that it is possible for human progress to go backwards. Think of the dark ages.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 21:34   Link #414
Triple_R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Human history has shown us that it is possible for human progress to go backwards. Think of the dark ages.
While I do agree with you here, I think that Ascaloth specified quantum physicists for a reason. There's some wild ideas in quantum physics right now. They're the sort of things that will either one day be confirmed... or come out looking a bit silly to future generations, lol.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 21:36   Link #415
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Mists
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Human history is a long process of learning by fucking up over and over again. It's haphazard and stupid, but we learn best by trial and error... and more error.

For every 5000 failures we have, we have someone that finds out something...
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 21:42   Link #416
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post
Ok, maybe the glasses are a bit different, so I might be mixing two guys. Still...they COULD do a better job of distinguishing the characters via the drawings!

Spoiler for But still...:
I think Ohana has to watch out for every single 30 year old male with glasses and curly hair that resides in this building.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 00:04   Link #417
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
While I do agree with you here, I think that Ascaloth specified quantum physicists for a reason. There's some wild ideas in quantum physics right now. They're the sort of things that will either one day be confirmed... or come out looking a bit silly to future generations, lol.
I guess this is off-topic, but I actually didn't like the negative reference to quantum theory. Quantum physics is provably true. None of our electronics would work if it weren't. The problem is that it our natural minds find the quantum world very hard to visualize, so non-mathematical descriptions of it can sound pretty desperate. But I don't expect the actual mathematics ever to be proven false: like Newton's understanding of gravity, it will likely be subsumed by greater future theories, rather than replaced.

There are some pretty wild ideas in quantum cosmology right now, but I expect some combination of the wildest (strings, inflation of various kinds, branes, various theories of quantum gravity, multiple universes, etc.) will eventually be proven the best. I think it's the ideas that seem totally normal right now that will be laughed at most in the future. Like the earth being flat. That's obvious to the eye, but quite false. Einstein defined common sense as "the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18." That applies to all of us.

As for telling the two oji-san apart, my characters/seiyuus page helped me.
__________________
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2011-04-07 at 01:01.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 00:09   Link #418
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Uh. Ohana's nose wasn't bleeding because she got slapped, but because her nose bleeds easily.
nah, its because of the Key-aids...

anyways, is it sunday and ep 2 yet? its crazy how this ep spurred so much discussion.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 03:06   Link #419
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
nah, its because of the Key-aids...

anyways, is it sunday and ep 2 yet? its crazy how this ep spurred so much discussion.
Quality series or series that try to break out of the norm and try to do something to do different get a lot of discussion . I mean have a look at the Madoka Magica thread... the level of discussion is absurd to the point I've given up tracking it because there's simply too many posts...
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 03:28   Link #420
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Quality series or series that try to break out of the norm and try to do something to do different get a lot of discussion .
I don't think this is legit in this case. People simply have too much time on their hands if they managed to discuss granny for the last seven pages.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, pa works, romance, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.