AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-06, 21:54   Link #341
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
From what I translated from google translate the gist of it is that it follows the movie closely. There is no mention of an Aruran ending but she does talk about Brera and Ranka. Though Alto does come across as homosexual.
Well, from what I know of the doujinka *follows blog posts a lot*, if that had happened (A/R), I would have seen lots and lots of sad smileys.
__________________
raile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 21:59   Link #342
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Well, from what I know of the doujinka *follows blog posts a lot*, if that had happened (A/R), I would have seen lots and lots of sad smileys.
which is why I'm doubting the so called summary considering that if it really did have an AruRan ending you think that someone would mention it in their review, except we get no confirmation of it at all.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 22:02   Link #343
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Google Translate *kicks it* tells me that (according to her) the novel eventually ends with Alto/Sheryl. That and that the novel feels to target one fanbase: Alto.

Oh and also, the Brera/Ranka fans were further rubbed with salt. XD
__________________
raile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 23:31   Link #344
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
It's funny because one of the major complains of the other reviewers is Alto's "queer" characterization.

I didn't really see a mention of "Alto/Ranka" ending, but a spotted mentions of the massive slash-subtext with Brera or Michel.

I'm going to wait for a more credible review.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 00:30   Link #345
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
It's funny because one of the major complains of the other reviewers is Alto's "queer" characterization.

I didn't really see a mention of "Alto/Ranka" ending, but a spotted mentions of the massive slash-subtext with Brera or Michel.

I'm going to wait for a more credible review.
Maybe the author of the novels is a Alto fan?

and a yaoi fan on the side.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 01:39   Link #346
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Maybe the author of the novels is a Alto fan?

and a yaoi fan on the side.
Whatever he is, he should fear for his dear life. Klan/Michel shippers will be pissed.

Silly man. He should have gone for the yuri solution.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 01:49   Link #347
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Whatever he is, he should fear for his dear life. Klan/Michel shippers will be pissed.

Silly man. He should have gone for the yuri solution.
That being mentioned, it is horrid to Alto's image to make him seem more homosexual than he already appears. Honestly, he can dress up like a woman, which makes it more like he's the uke... and now they have him emo... It's horrid.

I say that the author should run for his dear life!
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 01:59   Link #348
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
That being mentioned, it is horrid to Alto's image to make him seem more homosexual than he already appears. Honestly, he can dress up like a woman, which makes it more like he's the uke... and now they have him emo... It's horrid.
...Actually that seems to be the criticism and how they upped the *ehem* male relationships, besides leaving key bits from the movies, feeling overall rushed? This is understandable, the deadline was too close and with what happen in Japan...

I don't see any "shippy" bits mentioned from either triangle girl (besides the known triangle resolution?). Mostly the whole Alto and Brera or Alto and Michel.

So I'm going to wait until I get a review from someone from this forum before investing in this stuff.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 01:59   Link #349
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Meh, a true Alto fan would want Alto to go for Sheryl.

Unless that fan is a yaoi fan, of course.
__________________
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 02:03   Link #350
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I don't know, magnus... I've seen more Alto/Michel pic promotions (what's up with Alto blushing at Michel in most of them?) officially released than Alto/Ranka (that aren't in a triangular with Sheryl I mean).

There must be a profitable market.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 02:40   Link #351
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
...Actually that seems to be the criticism and how they upped the *ehem* male relationships, besides leaving key bits from the movies, feeling overall rushed? This is understandable, the deadline was too close and with what happen in Japan...

I don't see any "shippy" bits mentioned from either triangle girl (besides the known triangle resolution?). Mostly the whole Alto and Brera or Alto and Michel.

So I'm going to wait until I get a review from someone from this forum before investing in this stuff.
I was referring to the fact that his beauty as a woman already makes it hard enough to picture him with a woman, then comes along a person who writes the light novel where Alto is practically in love with the boys in the show... I mean, what Alto said to Brera in the movie apparently wasn't half as emotional as what was said in the light novel according to some reviews. Honestly, I don't like picturing Alto in a relationship with any man. Most of the time, if I come up with an idea for a fanfic, Alto HAS to yell at Brera and refuse to be friends with him and kick Michael's ass for screwing up with something (even protecting Ranka).

To be quite honest, his beauty makes me mistake him for a woman when I see certain fanart, as most of the Alto fans view him as a female or playing a female role. Gender bender art is becoming more popular...

To me, if Alto ends up with a girl, it'd be Ranka because she's already cute and can easily be seen as a woman. Whilst Sheryl can easily dress up as a boy (shown well in the movie) and act like one; making me not take her interest in Alto seriously in the movie. So, I'll just throw that out there.

As for the novel: the main conflict doesn't end? The war? I thought that was the POINT of Macross!

So, whom wins the triangle in the novel? I know you say it leads to AxS, Thess; but I want to know Yot-chan's full read of the novel. But you don't have to if you don't want to, Yot-chan; I'll just wait till I have money to move to Japan and study all forms of Japanese, which might take 5-10 years at my job rate.

All joking aside: is there anything specific about Ranka that the novel glorifies (I will intensify on that) her from the series/movie version of herself? What about Sheryl? Or even Brera? (Leaves out Alto, not important when already discussed.)
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 02:43   Link #352
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I don't know, magnus... I've seen more Alto/Michel pic promotions (what's up with Alto blushing at Michel in most of them?) officially released than Alto/Ranka (that aren't in a triangular with Sheryl I mean).

There must be a profitable market.

The Michael/Alto pictures that scarred me on Pixiv as well as those Doujins on Aarin agree with you.

@Lovemekags Sheryl only dressed up as a boy for a stage performance. But you could just as easily say that that makes her all the better for Alto because if he ever feels like cross dressing he can do so with a partner this time.

I haven't seen any of the reviewers mention Ranka just Brera.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 02:50   Link #353
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
The Michael/Alto pictures that scarred me on Pixiv as well as those Doujins on Aarin agree with you.
Yes, those too. I don't think that's bad, though. If Alto were bi, Michel would totally be his type (same for Michel).

Alto's a bit like Klan, IMO. Michel's a bit like Sheryl. Personality speaking. Of course, they have their differences, but they have strong similitudes as well.

@LoveMeKags: I don't have this novel! But from what's being said (review wise), it's not departing that much from the movies? But it lacks, what is called "emotional impact" and good cohesive writing?
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 02:57   Link #354
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Yes, those too. I don't think that's bad, though. If Alto were bi, Michel would totally be his type (same for Michel).

Alto's a bit like Klan, IMO. Michel's a bit like Sheryl. Personality speaking. Of course, they have their differences, but they have strong similitudes as well.
Which is probably why they got along so well in the 3rd Drama CD, when Michael and Sheryl join forces to tease Klan. Oh LOL my OT4 Alto/Sheryl/KlanKlan/Michael, because I can. The fact that Michael and Sheryl look alike probably helps matters too.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 02:59   Link #355
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
@Lovemekags Sheryl only dressed up as a boy for a stage performance. But you could just as easily say that that makes her all the better for Alto because if he ever feels like cross dressing he can do so with a partner this time.

I haven't seen any of the reviewers mention Ranka just Brera.
Well, like I said, for Alto, he'd probably be with Ranka for public appearance. Plus, Ranka always made him feel an urge to protect her before, and men protect women. Alto, whose been pushed around all his life and treated like a woman because of his beauty (and roles, might I add), adores this "needy" girl who clings to him, asking for his help. Now whether or not he finds more interest in Sheryl is given on HIS version of romance. To me, I could not see him ending up with Sheryl under different circumstances. If they had parted after Sheryl's live concert, then he probably would've ended up with Ranka, provided he didn't lose the earring (which I assumed was Kawamori's way of putting Sheryl more in the plot too). So, that being said, I honestly think that Alto not ending up with Ranka was not only how the writer grew him, but the direction they set him in. Had they let him "run away from them" (as they so naively put it in the commentary), then Alto might've been able to choose a girl that HE wanted, that he is compatible with, right from Ep20. That, to me, was a horrible write.

Now I can't say much on the series novels, as I've only read part of them that people have translated. But I will say they were written slightly better and show Alto in a more "released" environment (we're talking about his character, not the "world" he lives in). His emotions are easier to understand and the growth of his feelings is more "realized." In the series, they left out these peak moments, and so I actually enjoyed the light novel a bit more.

As for the movie novel, I'm not sure how to react, honestly. From what I've heard, Alto is perceived as an emo (which is SO not his character unless he's dying or learns that someone he loves is dying, honestly). He completely jumps off the track of the triangle and heads straight into the end of the novel, which is not a "released" environment like the series novels; no, it is a more "stressed" and "isolated" environment where the author once again took hold of Alto and MADE him choose a girl based on where THEY'D grown him. And to be honest, I did not like the reviews of the end.

As for mentions of characters: aw... Ranka isn't mentioned? Just Brera? Well, I hope he got as big a role in the novel as in the movie. I like him as a character, separate from Ranka. But it's sad that people seem to forget Ranka even exists now... I knew that would happen if she lost the triangle too. Because most Macross characters who do are forgotten over time (with the exception of the legendary Minmei of course)
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 03:00   Link #356
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Which is probably why they got along so well in the 3rd Drama CD, when Michael and Sheryl join forces to tease Klan. Oh LOL my OT4 Alto/Sheryl/KlanKlan/Michael, because I can. The fact that Michael and Sheryl look alike probably helps matters too.
I see the OT4 and I raise you

Spoiler for what I ship after reading movie spoilers:




Edit: eh, Ranka is mentioned in the reviews. But it doesn't say a lot about her or her role (for the record, Sheryl's not mentioned a lot either, bit more than Ranka)? Alto was, though. Then again, this could be because they didn't want to spoil anything? The Ranka&Brera interaction was axed a bit, according to that blogger.

These are the reviews. Got nothing to do with the novel or a good summary! They are just reactionary impressions of dissatisfied fans.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 04:33   Link #357
Irisiel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Which is probably why they got along so well in the 3rd Drama CD, when Michael and Sheryl join forces to tease Klan. Oh LOL my OT4 Alto/Sheryl/KlanKlan/Michael, because I can. The fact that Michael and Sheryl look alike probably helps matters too.
That's my OT4 as well! (And my second pairing choice for all four, if Alto/Sheryl and Michael/Klan wouldn't work out has always been to pair within those four.) Though it's hilarious after those official images of Alto and Michael to have the novel apparently play it up so much.

Maybe the author, not knowing the ending just yet, thought that Kawamori would troll us with Bi!Alto ending with Michael or Brera, and therefore played up that angle.

Though now I want art of Legend of Galactic Heroes!Sheryl/Gothic Lolita!Alto, preferably with Sheryl down on one knee and proposing with an earring.

I can't wait for the summaries, cause it seems to promise popcorn worthy lulz.
__________________
Irisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 08:39   Link #358
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
That's my OT4 as well! (And my second pairing choice for all four, if Alto/Sheryl and Michael/Klan wouldn't work out has always been to pair within those four.) Though it's hilarious after those official images of Alto and Michael to have the novel apparently play it up so much.

Maybe the author, not knowing the ending just yet, thought that Kawamori would troll us with Bi!Alto ending with Michael or Brera, and therefore played up that angle.

Though now I want art of Legend of Galactic Heroes!Sheryl/Gothic Lolita!Alto, preferably with Sheryl down on one knee and proposing with an earring.

I can't wait for the summaries, cause it seems to promise popcorn worthy lulz.
Thank goodness I'm not the only one whose amused by this development.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 09:13   Link #359
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Well, I'd first prefer an accurate summary, but so far we have had basically a new continuity for every Macross Frontier tie-in product, so why not for this one as well?


Oh, and again with the question to Dash_Hunter: Is the "no more Macross Frontier material after this point" thing confirmed? Because this scenario seems to have spontaneously spawned into existance, with no prior information.
__________________
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 12:51   Link #360
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Another blog post on the light novel. Might find something useful or interesting here, if anyone wants to give it a try.

Spoiler for Japanese text:


Another one here:

Spoiler for More Japanese text:
__________________

Last edited by raile; 2011-04-07 at 13:08.
raile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.