AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-08, 03:38   Link #1
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Action/magic/magical-girl "Up to eleven"?

Hi everyone.

So I've seen a few shows that have a specific style and theme, but this arrangement seems to be fairly uncommon. Shame, because I really find these the most entertaining out of all the shows I end up watching.

The following criteria shall equate to my favorite theme/style:

* all- or mostly-female cast
* yuri subtext. or plaintext. ANY TEXT. THE MORE YURI THE BETTER.
* lots of shit blowing up
* magic or supernatural powers a plus

* the protagonist cannot be male
* not a harem
* no obvious love triangles or love drama that involve male characters

Excessive fanservice doesn't necessarily bother me--if I can get through Strike Witches, nothing will faze me. But I don't want any dick in there. If I'm going to be subjected to fanservice, it better be between girls.

Obvious examples are obvious: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Strike Witches... and I can't really think of any others.

But that's why I'm here! To see if there are even any others!
Old 2011-04-08, 03:52   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

Simoun - just be rest-assured that the two main characters, at least, remain female. lol. That aside, it is a good show with all kinds of yuri.
Re Cutie Honey - great subtext
Kurau Phantom Memory - subtext... think really close sisters, but so encompassing that there isn't room for a romantic relationship with anyone else

Manga...
Hayate x Blade
Himegami
Old 2011-04-08, 07:57   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm not sure what "up to eleven" means here. Eleven years old? Or are you referring to the famous line from This is Spinal Tap? Aren't the characters in Strike Witches older than that?

I don't have good answers for you, syn. You've tapped the yuri mine a number of times here. I'd think you would have explored pretty much all the options by now.

I suppose there are some yuri undertones in Madoka Magica, but they're pretty obscure to me. They're less obscure in Shinbo's Hidamari Sketch, especially in the later seasons, but the girls are more like fifteen. For another moe~ show, there's the soft hentai Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo about a cute young couple discovering they love each other and figuring out how to express it physically.

Tweeny Witches is an excellent magical-girl show with a nearly all-female cast, but there's little romance or sexuality. Sky Girls has more action, and maybe a couple of yuri hints, but it's mostly about cute girls flying mecha. (The OVA has a slightly more ecchi take than the series that followed.) Windy Tales is a nice, but quiet little story about middle-school girls who discover the power to control the winds. Rocket Girls has largely a "girl-power" theme but no romance or hints of sexual attraction.

I know you've seen Shion no Ou and Nijuu Mensou already so no need to expound on them any further.

Some people wanted to see a yuri interpretation of Dennou Coil, especially given the show's ending, but I don't think it's warrented by the story. Plus it has boys.
Old 2011-04-08, 16:06   Link #4
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Quote:
I'm not sure what "up to eleven" means here.
I'm with Sensei here.

But I think Mai Otome fits into your description (if you haven't seen it yet). A lot of girls who are not permitted to have any romantic relationships with men study at a boarding school in a futuristic-fantasy world. They are trained to be elite bodyguards for royalty and nobles. There is sort of a love triangle at one point, but the male is not interested, so it ends fairly soon.
Old 2011-04-08, 17:52   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Up to eleven. Beyond the Impossible. Crazy Awesome. That sort of thing.

And yeah, I know that the sort of thing I'm wanting has been lost in the sea of siscon and fetish crap. Damn crappy economy.
Old 2011-04-08, 18:00   Link #6
Ziziphus
Whatever

I think Simoun and Madoka Magica (as already mentioned) fit your description perfectly. Definitely give them a try! (Madoka Magica will take a while to finish its story though)
Old 2011-04-08, 19:43   Link #7
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'm already watching Madoka, enjoying it though it's been delayed.

Simoun I should really get around to watching...
Old 2011-04-08, 20:54   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well... uh... Sailor Moon?
Old 2011-04-08, 21:28   Link #9
mecharobot

Heartcatch Precure. It's the Gurren Lagann of magical girl anime. And I'm not exaggerating. The most epic fight scenes ever. No mahou shoujo comes close to it in terms of action. Not even Nanoha. The only problem is that it's 49 eps.
Old 2011-04-08, 21:36   Link #10
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Saki also may be a series that you're looking for. At first, you'd think that there isn't a lot of "shit blowing up", but look at the insane moves they pull off in the matches (complete with dramatic effects and music) and think again. There is a LOT of yuri subtext in this show. You don't need to understand mahjong rules to enjoy this.
Old 2011-04-08, 22:01   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I liked Shion no Ou, so Saki sounds kind of interesting to me. I had no idea it had yuri leanings...

I will examine Heartcatch Precure... the TTGL of Magical Girl shows sounds very interesting...

*adds more to list*
Old 2011-04-08, 22:15   Link #12
totoum
Backstop

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I have couple of shows in mind that are maybe not exactly what you're looking for but one thing is sure:the yuri level in both of them is over 9000.

Saki
-there's like 20 girls and 2 guys
-it's not just about mahjong but rather magical mahjong,seriously,some of the players have skills that borders the supernatural.
-As the preview shows sometimes stuff blows up

Blue Drop
-It's set in an all girls school,there's a female only alien race...
-No magic but it is sci-fi
-But yeah,despite some action here and there it's more of a slowpaced drama than an action show,in fact you can telll that just by watching the OP
Old 2011-04-09, 01:55   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Seen Blue Drop, found it interesting and decent but it's totally not what I'm looking for.

Watched the first couple of episodes of Heartcatch Precure, and compared to bog-standard magical-girl it's definitely superior, but it just doesn't measure up to Nanoha's beam-spam or Strike Witches gunfighting.

I wish Shana wasn't so hung up on the nonsense school drama. I really wanted to like that show. The actiony parts were great... too bad the rest wasn't.
Old 2011-04-09, 06:53   Link #14
mecharobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Watched the first couple of episodes of Heartcatch Precure, and compared to bog-standard magical-girl it's definitely superior, but it just doesn't measure up to Nanoha's beam-spam or Strike Witches gunfighting.
It definitely measures up, but as I said it's 49 episodes long so there is quite a bit of stand alone episodes in between the main battles. In terms of action, Nanoha or Strike Witches (watched both) look like nothing compared to it, but it suffers from being slow paced. Your call if you're willing to sit through it or not.

Come on it has (heavy spoiler):

Spoiler for Heartcatch Precure ep 49:

edit: I should probably note that the battles are more about fast paced martial arts and coreography than screaming faces and beams in this particular case.

Last edited by mecharobot; 2011-04-09 at 10:54.
Old 2011-04-09, 15:45   Link #15
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Battle Athletes victory- 26 eps. this isn't magical girl but it has the shoujo-ai thing going on. good shoujo ai
Old 2011-04-09, 21:35   Link #16
NoLongerSane

Try Puni Puni Poemi. From the creator of Excel Saga, this anime pretty much breaks the dial of what you are asking for. It has your almost all female cast, your yuri undertones, and plenty of action.
Old 2011-04-10, 22:10   Link #17
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Still watching Heartcatch Precure and now that Kumojacky is around I'm so not going to stop watching it.

I swear he's an evil Kamina.

Edit: Buhhh... the constant transformation sequences... the In the name of the moon speeches... the monsters of the week... I can't do it anymore.

Nanoha's got me spoiled.

Last edited by synaesthetic; 2011-04-11 at 00:17.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, magical girl, yuri