Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-04-11, 17:52   Link #1
Samari
World's Greatest

Wonder Woman film (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well recently you have Batman, Green Lantern, and now a now Superman. What is left on the big list for the Justice League? Well there is the main one that seems impossible to pull off realistically: Wonder Woman.
Wonder Woman could be done. It would be difficult, but it could be done. You'd just have to get Warner Bros. or whatever studio involved with the film not trying to pass the movie off as a cock tease with an actress that can't act running around in her underwear. You'd have to have a hell of a writer (hopefully someone familiar with the Wonder Woman mythos) and a hell of a director, with a nice production crew. The actress would actually have to be able to act. Maybe good music would help too.

All of the elements can come together. It just takes the right people with the right vision. A good female superhero film is possible. One just hasn't been done yet.

It will be interesting to see how Catwoman is portrayed in the upcoming Batman film. If Anne Hathaway pulls this off and sets a new bar for female comic book roles, it will really help out future endeavors.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 18:10   Link #2
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Wonder Woman could be done. It would be difficult, but it could be done. You'd just have to get Warner Bros. or whatever studio involved with the film not trying to pass the movie off as a cock tease with an actress that can't act running around in her underwear. You'd have to have a hell of a writer (hopefully someone familiar with the Wonder Woman mythos) and a hell of a director, with a nice production crew. The actress would actually have to be able to act. Maybe good music would help too.

All of the elements can come together. It just takes the right people with the right vision. A good female superhero film is possible. One just hasn't been done yet.
There is no chance in Hell that a Wonder Woman movie series, let alone a single movie would be difficult. Here's my short synopsis of a WW movie.

Scene 1: The screen fades from black to the Queen of Themiscyra beseeching the Amazon's matron goddess to give life to the child made of clay. Her request is granted, and the baby formed of clay slowly turns to flesh, and then starts crying. Her mother thanks their goddess, and says to the baby that her name will be Diana.

Scene 2: Scene 2 consists of a flashback to Diana(Wonder Woman) being trained as an Amazon by her mother and sister amazons.

Scene 3: Diana as a young woman is seen running about their island's beach with a few of her closer friends. They notice the wreckage of an object unknown to them on the island. They find a form similar to theirs, but of the male persuasion amidst the wreckage. They bring Steve Trevor back to the major city of the Amazons on Themiscyra.

Scene 4: Diana's mother, Queen Hippolyta examines the Steve Trevor, inquires how he ended up on their beach, and so forth. Queen Hippolyta determines that Steve Trevor has no ulterior motives and that his conscience is clean. It is announced to the majority of the Amazons that a contest will be held to determine who will take Steve Trevor back to the Man's world.

Scene 5: The contest/tournament to determine who will take Wonder Woman back to Man's society.

Scene 6: Diana wins the tournament, and receives Amazonian relics, such as the instrudctible bracelets, lasso of truth, the Sandals of Hermes, and the Gauntlets of Atlas and the rights to return Steve Trevor and show the world of Man the Amazonian way.

And that's all I want to write out. This was a very basic summing up of how I would like a Wonder Woman movie to begin. There are a variety of villains to choose from, but it seems ideal to me that it would be Ares under the guise of a top US military/officer who is trying to start a world-shaking conflict. The movie would end with her exposing Ares and battling him until she defeats him and he departs.
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 18:21   Link #3
scraggy

Send a message via AIM to scraggy Send a message via MSN to scraggy
I'm pretty sure that's the exact plot of the DCAU Wonder Woman feature

getunderme.tumblr.com
scraggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 18:35   Link #4
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggy View Post
It's the basic Wonder Woman origin story, scraggy. I imagine it's used in most Wonder Woman comics, cartoons, and so on. My contributions were merely the separating of it into "scenes" and adding that Ares would be a US military officer manipulating the military into a world-shaking conflict. I would tie it into Steve Trevor's aircraft carrier being attacked at sea(assuming he will be a pilot). The ship is attacked by Ares and his cohorts, and they assume the guise of the ship's top command officers. Steve Trevor regaining his memories of the events lead to the discovery that Ares and his buddies are posing as military officials. Steve & Diana inquire about it on the base, by let's say getting into the computer records of the events that transpired, and are caught by one one of Ares' cohorts. They are brought before Ares, and Ares initiates his plan to start that world-shaking conflict. Wonder Woman breaks free as Ares departs and she fights his subordinates, and let's say, stops the US battle group of naval vessels from bombarding China. She then reveals her presence to the world and her mission, and the movie ends.

Again, very basic summing up. The Wonder Woman animated movie's plot has Ares influencing the president to launch a nuclear strike against Themiscyra.
Old 2011-04-11, 18:57   Link #5
scraggy

i know it's the basic wonder woman origin story, but they probably won't re-use it as they used it as an in-depth plot in a recent adaptation. also, origin stories are overrated as heck. Which is another thing All-Star Superman did well was shorten superman's entire origin into a single page.
Spoiler for ba-bam and we're out:

the other thing is, zach snyder is just awful. the only watchable movie he's made is watchmen and even that is an abomination, and nolan's newer stuff is mediocre at best. so unless they get someone halfway decent on this movie i don't have high hopes.

getunderme.tumblr.com
Old 2011-04-11, 19:33   Link #6
delirium
Banned

Quote:
i know it's the basic wonder woman origin story, but they probably won't re-use it as they used it as an in-depth plot in a recent adaptation. also, origin stories are overrated as heck.
A quarter of the movie would be spent introducing Wonder Woman from creation to inception, the "origin" story. Another quarter of the movie would be spent with Diana exploring the area around Steve Trevor's residence and learning about Man's history. The last half would tie into the first two quarters by means of Steve Trevor's memories slowly coming back to him. Upon realizing the nature of his aircraft carrier's destruction, he and Wonder Woman would go about unraveling Ares' plot to start the world-shaking conflict between the USA and China. And unfortunately, scraggy, it's just not true that they wouldn't use Wonder Woman's basic origin story in the film.

They could go with the recent revamp, adding a totally different origin to her character, and that would popularize the recent reboot to the general public, but I don't see them doing that for some reason, y'know? There will be slight deviations to it, but there are benefits to using the basic origin story for the live action movie. That being the popularity of Greek/Mediterranean mythology/history media like 300, Clash of the Titans, Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, Wrath of the Titans, Xerxes, and Immortals. It's mixing that genre with modern day, a strong female lead, and a tantalizing story, and who doesn't want to see a movie where one global super power is being manipulated into attacking another? Y'know?

There are so many Superman iterations to pick and choose from. Kingdom Come wouldn't work out due to the fact that it necessitates a decent knowledge of all the characters being shown and general history of the DC Comics universe. All-Star Superman would be a nice idea, but it would be too far of a stretch, and the animated movie was good enough homage to the original miniseries anyways. I would like to mix the introduction to All-Star Superman with the recent Superman: Earth One graphic novel story. It would be very nice.
Old 2011-04-11, 19:39   Link #7
scraggy

Yeah, I mean all-star is a little too out-there and filled with morrison-isms to be fit into a 2 hour film.
I think for a wonder woman film i'd prefer something that focused more on her life in earth rather than themiscyra, but that's just me as a viewer and i'm sure a number of people would love to focus on more of the mythological aspects to it.
Superman For All Seasons would make a decent film adaption I think.
I would love, love, love to see a Kingdom Come movie but I doubt that will ever happen because it's such a huge story that covers so much of the DCU. It would be nice to see an animated feature about it though, but nothing can compare to Alex Ross' art.

getunderme.tumblr.com
Old 2011-04-11, 19:52   Link #8
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or they could ignore most of the backstory...even Steve Trevor's part by skipping to action. Something major is happening to the World of Man, the princess and her mother talk about it, the princess decides she must do something, despite her mother's dismissal of the situation, or else whatever it is will come for them next. Next scene is back in the World of Man, stuff getting grim, than Wonder Woman arrives. Things continues from there.

That was more or less the DCAU way of Wonder Woman entering the series in Justice League. Backstory for her came later when the plot shifted back there from the World of Man.
Old 2011-04-11, 19:55   Link #9
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I mean all-star is a little too out-there and filled with morrison-isms to be fit into a 2 hour film.
I think for a wonder woman film i'd prefer something that focused more on her life in earth rather than themiscyra, but that's just me as a viewer and i'm sure a number of people would love to focus on more of the mythological aspects to it.
The beauty of a Wonder Woman film is that the mythological aspect of her story is always present. It's tying into the story of my proposed first film. The next movie could be less mythological, and with other popular Wonder Woman films. Her story will take place on Themiscyra for only a small part of the film, the majority of it would be in the "World of Man".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Or they could ignore most of the backstory...even Steve Trevor's part by skipping to action. Something major is happening to the World of Man, the princess and her mother talk about it, the princess decides she must do something, despite her mother's dismissal of the situation, or else whatever it is will come for them next. Next scene is back in the World of Man, stuff getting grim, than Wonder Woman arrives. Things continues from there.

That was more or less the DCAU way of Wonder Woman entering the series in Justice League. Backstory for her came later when the plot shifted back there from the World of Man.
Yes, a novel idea if I've ever seen one! No joke there. I mean that. But Steve Trevor holds many benefits. A short romance of sorts, tying in Ares to the beginning of the movie, and giving the film a mythological touch. I simply cannot abide by that aspect of her story being ignored! We must not ignore it. It's a gold mine of awesome.

Let's stop derailing the Superman(2012) thread. I made a thread with the posts relating to the Wonder Woman discussion quoted within it. Please click on this link to be redirected to the new thread.

Last edited by delirium; 2011-04-11 at 20:11.
Old 2011-04-11, 20:25   Link #10
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

DCAU Justice League did get to those point eventually, but not in the introduction. They even used Steven Trevor at one point (little time travel World War II stuff going on, touching since she goes to see him at the veteran's home when they get back to modern times), but since is was "Justice League", and not "Wonder Woman", they didn't focus her all the time. That and the romantic part was filling in with Daina's interest in Batman (as oppose to her comic book interest in Superman).
Old 2011-04-11, 22:07   Link #11
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
It's all derived from the 1987 reboot of Wonder Woman. I mean it could work I suppose, but setting it up was still be a lot easier than the other poster outlined. There is far more to making a film and having it be successful. Even if you list what you want to do, conveying it to an audience and making it believable is not an easy task. Still requires the right visionary. That's why the Batman reboot has succeeded in my opinion and the Superman Reboot has failed.

Quote:
the other thing is, zach snyder is just awful. the only watchable movie he's made is watchmen and even that is an abomination, and nolan's newer stuff is mediocre at best. so unless they get someone halfway decent on this movie i don't have high hopes.
The Dark Knight and Inception were not mediocre my friend.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2011-04-12, 00:13   Link #12
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

its best if they left this alone...thats it.

when i saw the joke about megan foxx being wonder woman i almost killed my self.. no no.. i almost went on a fox hunt.
Old 2011-04-12, 03:23   Link #13
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
its best if they left this alone...thats it.

when i saw the joke about megan foxx being wonder woman i almost killed my self.. no no.. i almost went on a fox hunt.
Well that was just a viral joke. Obviously if Megan Fox was cast it would be just a cock tease. This is the kind of thing that can't happen. I think with the internet now and days and the standard of superhero films being raised, viewers are smarter and are going to expect a lot...especially if it's a film based on a popular character like Wonder Woman. Casting someone like Fox would just get a lot of bad press and already put the film at a disadvantage due to the early skeptical perception of the potential success of the movie. It would be shooting yourself in the foot essentially.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2011-04-13, 21:44   Link #14
solomon

From the standpoint of hard core comic book nerds I guess, or maybe feminists as well?

I keep on telling people not to get their hopes up when it comes to these Hollywood takes on comics because they inevitably are going to be watered down.

If they weren't do you honestly think movie studios would pick them up for mainstream consumption?
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 06:13   Link #15
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

There isn't a film.... but isn't there an upcoming TV series on NBC?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-15, 00:55   Link #16
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
There isn't a film.... but isn't there an upcoming TV series on NBC?
Yeah. Seems like they're making Wonder Woman with a more urban-origin. I don't think it will last at all.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2011-04-15, 08:06   Link #17
solomon

Those high concept fantasy shows only really work when they are original stories and superhero stuff is iffy to begin with on prime time

remember The Cape?
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-22, 18:02   Link #18
AnimeFan188

Gal Gadot Releases First 'Wonder Woman' Image While
Warner Bros. Announces The Cast:

"We’ve got a first look picture at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in
Wonder Woman, as well as a somewhat surprising cast list.

For whatever reason, the powers-that-be at Warner Bros./Time Warner
Inc. and DC Comics like to drop character reveals at really weird hours
at night. Last February, almost nine months ago to the day, Zack
Snyder dropped the first look at Jason Momoa’s Aquaman at midnight,
and now Gal Gadot’s Twitter feed debuted her first official image from
the stand-alone Wonder Woman movie. The picture speaks for itself,
but Warner Bros. also released what amounted to a “production has
started” press release, offered at the end of this post, which also sheds
some light on the supporting cast."

See:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...nces-the-cast/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-20, 14:29   Link #19
monster

monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 09:12   Link #20
james0246

Personally, I love the WWI setting. It really helps to establish a definitive mode, while laying the groundwork for a potentially new type of Wonder Woman. I also like the idea that Wonder Woman is much older than her appearance.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote