AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-12, 12:29   Link #22601
Leafsnail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I think you mean Knox's 8th. But that's not really how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox's 8th
The detective must not light on any clues which are not instantly produced for the inspection of the reader.
It doesn't mean "Every conceivable clue that could exist has to be shown". It means "The detective can't find something and then hide it from the reader like a jerk".
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 13:11   Link #22602
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sea of Fragments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
It doesn't mean "Every conceivable clue that could exist has to be shown". It means "The detective can't find something and then hide it from the reader like a jerk".
Also known as the "we're looking at YOU, Sherlock" rule.
__________________
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst thing that can fall on them. We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 14:53   Link #22603
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
I believe Shkannontrice is true, Claire is one, yet many. To simplify it, I see it this way: Kanon's ''body'' is what's there physically, but he is actually a girl. I'm not too sure about the height difference in Kanon and Shannon, but I'm sure Kanon could easily make himself look like Shannon. Remember when Kanon dug his fingers through his wound in episode 3 after fainting by the kitchen door full of blood? He was forced against the wall by Gohda(who is an objectionate viewer, right?), Kanon was easily pounded against the wall. Did Shannon really do anything to Kanon physically? No, she only held up a spider charm to him, this might have been a delusion from Yasu herself. Kanon has been seen outside of the game board by Jessica's friends at her school. Wasn't Shanon only portrayed to have dated George from the story she told Jessica? The time when she slaughtered Nanjo caused everyone to doubt what they see, and they were barely able to give much accurate information on it. So Kanon leaping off of the wall may be an over-exaggeration.
Gohda's viewpoint is not reliable. In the first four games, only Battler's viewpoint is trustworthy, and since Kanon was already "dead" at that point, it was probably just a fantasy scene, like the goat armies and such.

Also note that when they're giving their testimony to Rosa, Shannon is with them, and they keep stumbling over their words and bouncing obvious lies off each other. I imagine it's a sort of "Tell them what I told you or I kill you guys" thing.

Quote:
I believe Yasu is a girl because there is no way that Genji would have went through the trouble of hiding a BOY from Kinzo, who is an old-fashioned sexist. I don't know how far he'd go to carry out his fantasies, but he was to stubborn to even see Eva as a successor simply because she was a girl(and clearly better than Krauss). Certain events had to have played for Yasu to look like a little boy, maybe surviving from the fall on the cliff screwed up her body and caused it to become like that? In episode 7, when Lion saw the image of Kinzo being scolded for wanting to steal the Italians gold, it goes to the next scene with(I'm pretty sure Yasu) lying on a bed saying ''Why did you save me?!? In a body incapable of love like this....I'm just like furniture!''. Maybe Yasu(Lion) was originally a boy, fell from the cliff and was damaged so bad he had to undergo massive surgery which resulted in her gender?(which would explain why Lion could questionably be a guy?).
Being a guy or a girl has nothing to do with why Yasu was hidden from Kinzo; the reason was that Genji didn't want Kinzo to repeat his mistakes and end up harming his child with his delusions (and I don't doubt that he would make a boy child of Beatrice's dress up as Beatrice and then rape him. This man is fucking crazy).

Quote:
It has easily been proven that Yasu is able to ''kill'' her imaginary friends, but Yasu has given them such effort that she can't just simply kill them through common mental practice. Ange was able to say ''Screw off, you're just imaginary friends you're not real!'' and that ended the stake's lives(at the time). Yasu couldn't just say ''Screw you Kanon you don't exist''. So they had to compete for superiority themselves.
Er, yea, she could. It's just that there's the issue of Kanon having an existence in everyone else's lives; Yasu would need to explain his disappearance. That aside, the fight for superiority was about love. Yasu love Battler, George, and Jessica, and she has to pick one. If Battler's not here, the choice is much harder to make.

Quote:
So:
Yasu was given surgery, slammed into the Fukuin house, conjured an imaginary friend named Shanon, but because she was seriously made to believe in her existence it became more than just ''imaginary''. To her, Shanon existed, Yasu got bored of being a servant and deluded herself into becoming the Ghost Beatrice. She abandoned her body to Shanon(who was more than just a personality and an imaginary friend, Yasu was so good that she could fabricate the entirety of a human in herself). Thus, Shanon became the dominant personality of Yasu's body. Yasu did not intend to ''lie'' about being Shanon, her belief in being the ghost of Rokkenjima completely locked the ''Yasu'' in never-land. I'm not sure if mirrors would work on ''Shannon'', if Battler randomly held up a mirror to her she wouldn't go crazy because she doesn't believe she is Yasu.
Yasu does not have multiple personalities, she's just a very dedicated actor. The fact that she can control Shannon's memories and personality, does not have memory gaps from when Shannon and Kanon are in control, and is able to talk with Shannon and Kanon proves that she does not have Dissociative Identity Disorder or anything similar.

Quote:
When Shannon was traumatized after Battler's failure to hold up on his promise, Yasu then started contemplating with Shannon in her dreams(Yasu only let Shannon's spiritual presence appear in the golden land, not her physical one), and agreed to make her a brother. Shannon is not the real owner of Yasu's body, she was furniture made-up to comfort Yasu. Yasu then made up furniture to comfort Shannon as well, this was Kanon. Kanon has to be a fake: ''The stake of illusions can pierce naught but illusions''. However, he can easily be physically recognized because she is what Yasu really looks like, if Shannon is a stereotypical female, her height and attributes would make her small, Kanon should be able to pose off as both.
I doubt Kanon is what she really looks like; otherwise people would bel ike "Hey Kanon why do you look exactly like that Yasu person?" If anything, Shannon is what she really looks like, but they're probably both disguises. There's a reason we're never shown Yasu's form.

Quote:
Kanon's corpse has always been questionable from the start, no one could ever find the darned thing. Another thing to note, is that Shannon has the one-winged eagle crest on her leg. Who has the crest imprinted on their leg and not on their clothes?.....FURNITURE, all the stakes, and Siesta's, have the one-winged eagle crest on their leg! I'm too lazy to check if it's on the same leg for each one, but this seems like an important thing to take note of.
It's not about being furniture, it's a subtle, hiding-in-plain-sight that she's of Ushiromiya blood. Eva's not furniture, after all.

Quote:
Also editing for good measure, Maria has claimed that Beatrice can possess people in episode 7. Perhaps Beatrice ''possessed Maria'' and wrote the note thinking she was Maria? Which would explain why it's not in Maria's handwriting.
No, that was a hint to the fact that "Beatrice" often comes to visit Maria while still dressed as Shannon or Kanon. Maria recognizes people by their behavior instead of their appearances, which is part of why she divided Rosa into "Mama" and "The Black Witch."

Beatrice just signed Maria's name for trollans.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 19:01   Link #22604
ErenselTheJester
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In the Meta- World... on Virgillia's bed.
I have a theory (not long, complex one, but something nice and short) and this is the only way Ep 7 can make sense in my head. I think Shannon is her own person, but she goes around the island pretending to be a witch. Then, we she left, that's when Yasu changed her servant name and became the new Shannon. Evidence: The maids referring to Shannon as a seperate person and Yasu's interactions with Gaap (where it just so happens that Shannon was also there).
ErenselTheJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 19:34   Link #22605
Player
Sorcerer of Awesome
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Meta World
Send a message via MSN to Player
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErenselTheJester View Post
I have a theory (not long, complex one, but something nice and short) and this is the only way Ep 7 can make sense in my head. I think Shannon is her own person, but she goes around the island pretending to be a witch. Then, we she left, that's when Yasu changed her servant name and became the new Shannon. Evidence: The maids referring to Shannon as a seperate person and Yasu's interactions with Gaap (where it just so happens that Shannon was also there).
Uh... How does Yasu changing her servant name make sense? It simply doesn't. And Shannon isn't referred to as a sepparate person by the maids. (At one scene, where Yasu "and Shannon" are in a room while talking to... Berune and Asune, I think, they address Yasu, then address her as Shannon. Going by the "Yasu's name = Shannon" Theory, then it's just a matter of them randomly choosing to call her differently.)

And Yasu's interactions with Gaap while Shannon's also present... Matters how? On Yasu's little tale/storytelling, Shannon is (for the sake of argument) a different person. She's trying to tell her story without giving away everything. Shannon openly participating in the Yasu/Gaap talk'd be a dead giveaway. Far more than it already is without her doing so.

That, and what'd be the point of there being a Shannon who existed, left, then was ripped off and turned into one of Yasu's characters/personas?
Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 22:30   Link #22606
cronnoponno
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I'm not sure I'm buying that Yasu had her mental-state completely under control and was just really, really good at acting. She said that she didn't want to look into mirrors because that would remind her of her ''disgusting form'' and remind her that she's not really a witch(not quoted word for word, but that's basically what she said when she was making up her Ghost-Beatrice personality).


Why is Gohda's viewpoint not reliable? He clearly hated the fact that the place he was hired into fed him ghost stories. He only kept up the image of them because he didn't want to get on bad terms with his co-workers, but I'm sure, as many normal humans would, he wouldn't keep up the sharade, when he witnessed Nanjo being killed. Unless you are saying that Yasu disguised herself as Kanon, killed Nanjo, threatened to kill Gohda(Genji saw Yasu as the real master so she didn't have to threaten him), dressed up as Shannon, and then continued the story. That still wouldn't contradict what I said, I must not be reading your post clear enough...


When I think about it, Kinzo is indeed delusional, and I'm sure he is just crazy enough to rape a male-beatrice.

I am not referring to Kanon and Shanon as ''personalities''. Think of what Maria did with Sakutaru, Sakutaru wasn't a personality to Maria, he was a being that could talk and think for himself(even though Maria did the acting for him on a human perspective). When the relatives solved the riddle of the gold in Episode 7, Yasu said ''I killed the witch Beatrice, this goes into accordance with the rules I set, as long as the many other selves in me understand, that is enough''. She couldn't just remove the mindset of Beatrice she made, she had to kill it based on a set of rules, or actually simulate herself fighting with them mentally. You are also forgetting, that Shannon does forget things quite often.

Shannon, when Yasu first talked with her, was the top-of-the-line servant. When she was around in Rokkenjima, it was constantly hinted that she was reduced to making various notes to help her keep track of everything that is going on.

This can explain why Yasu would love 3 different people, and why she could honestly go off saying that Shannon can ''transfer her love'' to her. It would take some serious acting to kill an entire family based on Battler's return if she never had any feelings for him.

Shannon could easily explain the removal of either Kanon or Shannon, it has been hinted that Shannon was saving up her money, and that she had the funds to leave years ago(right? I may be wrong here). Nothing was stopping Shannon from simply saying ''screw it'' and leaving. In fact, she could have planned an excuse to run away with Battler long ago, and simply re-arranged it for Kanon.


Eva is different, Eva has the crest on her arm. Although I can't deny that that puts a serious hole in my previous theory. My theory was that furniture had to have the crest imprinted on their legs because they had no right to wear clothes(what Beatrice told Battler) and that it was a privilege.
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 23:17   Link #22607
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sea of Fragments
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
Why is Gohda's viewpoint not reliable? He clearly hated the fact that the place he was hired into fed him ghost stories. He only kept up the image of them because he didn't want to get on bad terms with his co-workers, but I'm sure, as many normal humans would, he wouldn't keep up the sharade, when he witnessed Nanjo being killed. Unless you are saying that Yasu disguised herself as Kanon, killed Nanjo, threatened to kill Gohda(Genji saw Yasu as the real master so she didn't have to threaten him), dressed up as Shannon, and then continued the story. That still wouldn't contradict what I said, I must not be reading your post clear enough...
Hah, "witnessed Nanjo being killed?" When did that happen, exactly?

Earth to earth, illusion to illusion. No illusion can create a corpse.

As long as there's no murdering involved, Gohda will lie when a gold ingot is waved in his face just like everyone else. He did a great deal of it in EP4, for instance (first telling the cousins about the holes in the dining room, and then faking his death).
__________________
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst thing that can fall on them. We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 23:27   Link #22608
cronnoponno
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Good point, but Kanon wasn't ''entirely himself'' from what the others had witnessed, but they couldn't mistake the perpetrator as Kanon either. I figured that Yasu had become ''Beatrice'', but because Yasu originally looks like Kanon, they thought it was Kanon, hence their massive confusion with everything. This is because Kanon was ''dead'' in the rules of the game, having been pierced by a stake.

This doesn't violate the corpse being created, as long as a little wordplay is involved.

Although I don't feel too strongly about that anymore.

Last edited by cronnoponno; 2011-04-12 at 23:37.
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 23:41   Link #22609
Judoh
Mystery buff
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gone Fishin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
Good point, but Kanon wasn't ''entirely himself'' from what the others had witnessed, but they couldn't mistake the perpetrator as Kanon either. I figured that Yasu had become ''Beatrice'', but because Yasu originally looks like Kanon, they thought it was Kanon, hence their massive confusion with everything.
He's also described as looking like a goat and he sports a locus.

Quote:
Kanon jumped like a wild goat, ...fleeing from the thing Shannon was holding.
`Then, from his arm, some kind of afterglow flashed purple and drew a locus.
So yeah it can't just be someone just looking like him or him not being himself ( I think that's denied in red anyway) you would also have to accept this magical stuff if Gohda was reliable.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 23:58   Link #22610
chronotrig
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Buffer overflow
This might have been mentioned somewhere on the thread, but Ryuukishi's first post-EP8 interview has been released as part of Keiya's theory book, and I finally got my hands on one today. There's no full answer from Ryuukishi, of course, but he does confirm several points and give a few partial answers to closed rooms.

One of those points is pretty big for us overseas. Apparently, the name "Chiester" is official and does come from Winchester, with an 'I' (ai=love) added in.

Guns+Love=Bunnies
__________________
"The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter 'q' into a privet bush. But, unfortunately, there are times when it is unavoidable."
--Hitchhikers


www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 00:08   Link #22611
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sea of Fragments
Is there a transcript of it up somewhere yet, anybody? It'd be cool to have a list of the big points, at least.
__________________
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst thing that can fall on them. We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 08:16   Link #22612
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
I'm not sure I'm buying that Yasu had her mental-state completely under control and was just really, really good at acting. She said that she didn't want to look into mirrors because that would remind her of her ''disgusting form'' and remind her that she's not really a witch(not quoted word for word, but that's basically what she said when she was making up her Ghost-Beatrice personality).
Do not take the behavior of Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice in the stories to be identical to the behavior of their creator outside the stories. One could just as easily argue the reason Shannon doesn't like mirrors is because they reveal that "Shannon" is nothing more than a fraud (because there is supposed to be a person behind her, but in the story, there basically isn't). The actual person in R-Prime had his/her own psychological issues, but probably did not act quite like that. I think it's more a form of heavy-handed symbolism.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 13:46   Link #22613
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Why is Gohda's viewpoint not reliable? He clearly hated the fact that the place he was hired into fed him ghost stories. He only kept up the image of them because he didn't want to get on bad terms with his co-workers, but I'm sure, as many normal humans would, he wouldn't keep up the sharade, when he witnessed Nanjo being killed. Unless you are saying that Yasu disguised herself as Kanon, killed Nanjo, threatened to kill Gohda(Genji saw Yasu as the real master so she didn't have to threaten him), dressed up as Shannon, and then continued the story. That still wouldn't contradict what I said, I must not be reading your post clear enough...
Because Gohda is not the Detective character; there is no guarantee that he's not being deceived, coerced, or simply mistaken. He's a piece under the Gamemaster's control.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 17:38   Link #22614
ErenselTheJester
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In the Meta- World... on Virgillia's bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player View Post
Uh... How does Yasu changing her servant name make sense? It simply doesn't. And Shannon isn't referred to as a sepparate person by the maids. (At one scene, where Yasu "and Shannon" are in a room while talking to... Berune and Asune, I think, they address Yasu, then address her as Shannon. Going by the "Yasu's name = Shannon" Theory, then it's just a matter of them randomly choosing to call her differently.)

And Yasu's interactions with Gaap while Shannon's also present... Matters how? On Yasu's little tale/storytelling, Shannon is (for the sake of argument) a different person. She's trying to tell her story without giving away everything. Shannon openly participating in the Yasu/Gaap talk'd be a dead giveaway. Far more than it already is without her doing so.

That, and what'd be the point of there being a Shannon who existed, left, then was ripped off and turned into one of Yasu's characters/personas?
1) It makes as much sense as her making up imaginary friends and no one saying anything about it, if not more. Obviously the girl has benefits, so she used those benefits to change her servant name to the name of her best friend. Besides, how else can Shannon not only have a strange monologue of who she is, but take up the same attributes as Yasu and come from being the best servant in the island to being spacey and clumsy? Imaginary friend of Yasu? But Yasu was the one who became a witch, so who's the imaginary one?

2) It wasn't just Berune and Asune , it was the other maids too.

3) There's a difference between changing your name and creating a personality.
ErenselTheJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 18:09   Link #22615
Player
Sorcerer of Awesome
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Meta World
Send a message via MSN to Player
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErenselTheJester View Post
1) It makes as much sense as her making up imaginary friends and no one saying anything about it, if not more. Obviously the girl has benefits, so she used those benefits to change her servant name to the name of her best friend. Besides, how else can Shannon not only have a strange monologue of who she is, but take up the same attributes as Yasu and come from being the best servant in the island to being spacey and clumsy? Imaginary friend of Yasu? But Yasu was the one who became a witch, so who's the imaginary one?

2) It wasn't just Berune and Asune , it was the other maids too.

3) There's a difference between changing your name and creating a personality.


Doesn't matter if it was more maids, my point still stands.

The strange monologue of Shannon's? Happened right after her memory was rewritten. Not weird at all. Yasu is known for being able to change her characters'... Well, EVERYTHING. Shannon was given her clumsiness after she created her witch persona. That, and, y'know, there really is no evidence of a real Shannon existing. And the Ushiromiya family is stupid. Anyone with enough intelligence and Yasu's resources/benefits could pull it off. Natsuhi, Krauss and Jessica aren't exactly aware of these benefits, need I remind you. "HEY, LET'S IGNORE THE FACT THIS KID JUST CHANGED HIS/HER BLESSED NAME! LOLOLOL"

Yes, they're stupid, but they're not THAT stupid. Oh, and Yasu went to school with Jessica. Can't change her name there. Further proof they share names, considering everything is ohsocoincidentially rewritten so Shannon was the one who went to school.
Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 19:05   Link #22616
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
In other words, "Sayo Yasuda" being her name with "Shannon" being Yasu's servant name is basically a fact via deductive reasoning.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 19:25   Link #22617
ErenselTheJester
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In the Meta- World... on Virgillia's bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player View Post
Doesn't matter if it was more maids, my point still stands.

The strange monologue of Shannon's? Happened right after her memory was rewritten. Not weird at all. Yasu is known for being able to change her characters'... Well, EVERYTHING. Shannon was given her clumsiness after she created her witch persona. That, and, y'know, there really is no evidence of a real Shannon existing. And the Ushiromiya family is stupid. Anyone with enough intelligence and Yasu's resources/benefits could pull it off. Natsuhi, Krauss and Jessica aren't exactly aware of these benefits, need I remind you. "HEY, LET'S IGNORE THE FACT THIS KID JUST CHANGED HIS/HER BLESSED NAME! LOLOLOL"

Yes, they're stupid, but they're not THAT stupid. Oh, and Yasu went to school with Jessica. Can't change her name there. Further proof they share names, considering everything is ohsocoincidentially rewritten so Shannon was the one who went to school.
Your point doesn't stand, you have to explain how ALL the maids refer to Yasu and Shannon as two seperate people. Yasu's Name = Shannon doesn't work because some of the maids speak specifically to Shannon without association to Yasu. Unless you're telling me that whole entire "servants call each other by real name" schtick just stops, or that the maids are crazy and pretend that Yasu and Shannon are two people when they are really one, in either case, I'm quite confused.

So these people are stupid for not caring about a name change, but their not stupid for seeing a person talk his/herself and acting like its the most natural thing? Obviously if it was known to the entire mansion that a servant had their name change, no one would care about it later. And, I don't know if you know this, but you could re- register and change your name under certain circumstances, such as being adopted, married, witness protection program, or having a very rich father who could re- register your name using the power of money. I also must add that, because she/he is Kinzo's child, she/he can ask Kinzo to change her/his name and he would do it.

Furthermore, Yasu only made it so that she didn't exist in the island, which would include re- writing everybody's memory, not just Shannon's. The only way she could do that is: (1) not existing in the first place, (2) getting rid of every piece of info concerning her, or (3) just running away and, as time goes by, people stop giving a flip about her. And again, how in the world did Shannon become pro- servant to careless rookie?
ErenselTheJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 19:37   Link #22618
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Your point doesn't stand, you have to explain how ALL the maids refer to Yasu and Shannon as two seperate people. Yasu's Name = Shannon doesn't work because some of the maids speak specifically to Shannon without association to Yasu. Unless you're telling me that whole entire "servants call each other by real name" schtick just stops, or that the maids are crazy and pretend that Yasu and Shannon are two people when they are really one, in either case, I'm quite confused.
You forget that for one thing, the servants only call each other their real names when they're alone and not on duty. It's a special thing. Moreover, just because they tease her as Yasu in some scenes and call her Shannon in other scenes (note most of the scenes where they call her Shannon has some sort of adult like Genji present), does not mean they consider the two names to belong to separate entities. Moreover, the only time the names Yasu and Shannon are used by the same persons in the same conversation is in the meta-fourth wall break when they're speaking to Zepar and Furfur.

Quote:
So these people are stupid for not caring about a name change, but their not stupid for seeing a person talk his/herself and acting like its the most natural thing? Obviously if it was known to the entire mansion that a servant had their name change, no one would care about it later. And, I don't know if you know this, but you could re- register and change your name under certain circumstances, such as being adopted, married, witness protection program, or having a very rich father who could re- register your name using the power of money. I also must add that, because she/he is Kinzo's child, she/he can ask Kinzo to change her/his name and he would do it.
Yea, but she doesn't learn that she's Kinzo's child until years later; about two years before Battler came back to the island. Please explain what purpose a ten year old orphan would have for getting a fucking name change.

There's no evidence for Yasu speaking to her imaginary friends OUTLOUD, so I'll just ignore that.

Quote:
Furthermore, Yasu only made it so that she didn't exist in the island, which would include re- writing everybody's memory, not just Shannon's. The only way she could do that is: (1) not existing in the first place, (2) getting rid of every piece of info concerning her, or (3) just running away and, as time goes by, people stop giving a flip about her. And again, how in the world did Shannon become pro- servant to careless rookie?
The simpler answer is that Yasu and Shannon were always the same person and she just decided to fully accept her servant role of Shannon. Shannon, beforehand, was an idealization, not how she was actually performing. A goal. Though Yasu had always been called Shannon, only at that point did she decide to acknowledge it as a name, and even then she's sort of running away from that and trying to acknowledge Shannon as an alternate person. It's like how people put on different faces and personas for the workplace than they do at home. No memory-editing, running away, or info-destroying required.

I don't understand why so many people have such a problem grasping such simple metaphorical prose. It's not that confusing.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 19:39   Link #22619
Player
Sorcerer of Awesome
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Meta World
Send a message via MSN to Player
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErenselTheJester View Post
Your point doesn't stand, you have to explain how ALL the maids refer to Yasu and Shannon as two seperate people. Yasu's Name = Shannon doesn't work because some of the maids speak specifically to Shannon without association to Yasu. Unless you're telling me that whole entire "servants call each other by real name" schtick just stops, or that the maids are crazy and pretend that Yasu and Shannon are two people when they are really one, in either case, I'm quite confused.

So these people are stupid for not caring about a name change, but their not stupid for seeing a person talk his/herself and acting like its the most natural thing? Obviously if it was known to the entire mansion that a servant had their name change, no one would care about it later. And, I don't know if you know this, but you could re- register and change your name under certain circumstances, such as being adopted, married, witness protection program, or having a very rich father who could re- register your name using the power of money. I also must add that, because she/he is Kinzo's child, she/he can ask Kinzo to change her/his name and he would do it.

Furthermore, Yasu only made it so that she didn't exist in the island, which would include re- writing everybody's memory, not just Shannon's. The only way she could do that is: (1) not existing in the first place, (2) getting rid of every piece of info concerning her, or (3) just running away and, as time goes by, people stop giving a flip about her. And again, how in the world did Shannon become pro- servant to careless rookie?
Did you even read EP7?

Kinzo wasn't aware of Yasu being his child until MINUTES BEFORE HIS DEATH. Yasu doesn't talk to her characters out loud, it's all in her mind. Shannon didn't exist as a real person, she was a persona of Yasu's. The ACTUAL Shannon (Sayo Yasuda. As Aura said, deductive reasoning.) was always clumsy, and the pro maid Shannon was the character, later rewritten into Yasu's role.

The little "I became a witch" was symbolic. Yasu didn't erase her existance. She rewrote the character of Shannon to be exactly what she'd been, while creating her witch persona.

Not to mention, as said many times, the servant names are BLESSED NAMES. If they asked for a name change they'd be pretty much kicked out by Natsuhi and her exaggerated amounts of strictness. Genji string pulling or not.

And it wouldn't be unusual if the maids randomly switched between calling her Yasu and by her servant name. Hell, I sometimes call people by their names then randomly switch and use their nicknames. Not unusual. The bits where Shannon answers, if you pay attention, are completely ignored by the Maids of Purgatory.
Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 23:03   Link #22620
cronnoponno
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Because Gohda is not the Detective character; there is no guarantee that he's not being deceived, coerced, or simply mistaken. He's a piece under the Gamemaster's control.
Oh, now I see. Now I'm pretty confused about the whole thing again.


Spoiler for Confusion:
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.