AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-03-14, 11:03   Link #1021
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Finland
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Bluemail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarem View Post
Do you know any technically-inclined people in the VN community? I'd be glad to get any leads you have... I've placed a call for help at http://forums.novelnews.net/forumdisplay.php?f=55, but I don't know if I'll get any replies (my last call went unanswered). If I can't find any info, I might start hacking it myself... but that will probably take a few more months on top of the translation-polishing.
No, I don't really know much about the technicalities and people proficient in it.
Quote:
Good way to improve your Japanese, possibly?

I'm most intrigued; what method is that?
Yep, intended to take it as good training so it wouldn't feel so tedious.
This is the method I found, got linked to it by someone else on Animesuki: http://omoshiroi.info/omoblog/index...._novel_reading

It looks like just the thing for me, who can understand the grammar but is lacking on vocabulary. A problem that might arise with Rewrite is that AGTH might no support their new Siglus engine... Do you think that could affect it? I haven't tried any of these programs, except Rikaichan, before. I'll test it on some untranslated Umineko at some point.
Quote:
For Clannad ME, clicking "cancel" on Vista/Win7 lets you proceed even though it complains that you're not in Japan. Were you able to do the same for the stress test?

Such a patch involves hacking the game engine to make it skip the Japan-region check. They're quite common (not just for VNs, but usually for piracy purposes), but I don't know if any exists for Rewrite.
The Rewrite stress test has no "Cancel" button, and clicking either "OK" or "X" on the top results in the shutting of the program. So I wasn't able to make it working.

If those patches are common, I think one for Rewrite will be made pretty quickly, maybe even before the shipment would arrive to my end. It's sad, but I guess I need to resort to this kind of "piracy" if I have to. I don't see any sense in restricting an All Ages game like that, they do have international fans just as eager to get their new releases. Unless they're really planning a localization, but they should announce it sooner and not make people worry for nothing.


Quote:
Hehe, guess not. I don't think I'm qualified to sway your choice though. The folks at http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=64557 might be able to tell you (or help you speculate) what the first edition will contain.

To put things in perspective, original Clannad came out in 2004, then Full Voice in 2008, then Memorial Edition in 2010. The "better version" came in the form of Full Voice, with voice acting and higher-res graphics, 4 years after the initial release. There's no visible improvement for players from Full Voice to Memorial edition... just that those who bought the Key 10th Memorial Box got a boxful of VNs + memorabilia for an awesome price.
I knew about that thread, I'll ask around there then, though I didn't find much about the contents in the pages I read there. Do Key releases generally have some fancy extras with their First Editions anyway?

I read about the Memorial Box, would've been very nice to get that one, though I guess it's too late now, or costs much more.

Quote:
Mmm... Ever17 is awesome! Sadly it's been out of print for ages, and the copies on eBay are extortionately-priced. It's getting a remake though; there's an attempt to get Aksys to localize it.

I bought Clannad from JBox; they seem to have a few other titles, including Remember11 (another mysterious Infinity title) which has an English patch available. For free VNs, try True Remembrance which has some good surprises, or Narcissu (1 and 2) for something to get you thinking about life, death and God.
I posted my YES vote on Ever17 on Aksys, I've been a member of the forums for trying to get Umineko localized. The thing is, I don't have an Xbox and I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon. If I'm getting another console from this gen besides my Wii, that would probably be PS3.

I have earlier bought products twice from Himeyashop, but that will be down for who knows how long. I didn't have the oppoturnity to check if there was anything of interest while it was still up. As you might have guessed, I have only bought Umineko EP4 and 6 from there. For the most recent batch of products from 07th Expansion, I used AmiAmi, where I'm planning to buy Clannad or Rewrite from also. Jbox's Clannad is a bit more expensive, but thanks for linking me to Remember11. It'll be on my wish list until after Clannad then.
Thanks for the other tips too, might grab one or two!
Quote:
Whoa, where did you hear that from? O_O
I tracked it down to a blog post with some info on Clannad patches, mainly for the original version I gathered, might feature Full Voice too. At one point it says this:
Quote:
The Patch

The fan translation patch is of course, free. You can find it in the Baka-Tsuki website. As of now, no. The official patch (edited to a better translation, full image and menu translations) isn’t out yet. There’s an unofficial patch however and it should suffice for people with little or considerable amount of Japanese. It isn’t fully translated and could have typos here and there though. However, the said translations are nearly complete, say, complete enough to finish and understand all stories. (think “need”) This translates all arcs of the main story and After Story, the second part of the game Everything should be translated enough at this point, only the interface and some parts like cinematics were untranslated.
Quote:
The official patch (edited to a better translation, full image and menu translations) isn’t out yet.
However, reading this further, I get the feeling that this "official" translation is as official as Witch-Hunt's translation of Umineko, meaning they "officially" support the author or the author "officially" supports them. I think I'm reading the above right, so the writer of this text could be the one making misinterpretations:
Quote:
* The fan translation group officially will support the non-voiced edition, as that is what they have right now. They don’t seem to own the voiced versions so it’s either you wait for them to release the voiced version (will take longer too release) or, wait for an unofficial patch (like the one above) for the voiced versions.
Contradicting?

Source (released in 2008): http://jerieljan.wordpress.com/2008/...ow-in-english/

Would be neat to have an official translation, of course. Maybe they're doing one for Rewrite too with the "Japan Only". But I wouldn't bet on it.
__________________

Umineko no Naku Koro ni ~Rondo of the Witch and Reasoning~ for PS3/PSP
NISA publisher support thread - AKSYS publisher support thread - Facebook group - deviantArt group - Petition
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 09:58   Link #1022
Polarem
Dango Digitizer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
A problem that might arise with Rewrite is that AGTH might no support their new Siglus engine... Do you think that could affect it? I haven't tried any of these programs, except Rikaichan, before. I'll test it on some untranslated Umineko at some point.
Hard to say... I haven't used any of those before, but the AGTH site (which strangely forces my browser to download the pages as files) says AGTH uses a "text hook", which spies on the text data that is transferred between the game and Windows. It will work if Siglus uses standard text protocols, but may fail if Siglus does funny things with the data.

A very impressive piece of software though!

If you can find a copy of the Rewrite demo that won't complain that you're not in Japan, that would be the most reliable test.


Quote:
The Rewrite stress test has no "Cancel" button, and clicking either "OK" or "X" on the top results in the shutting of the program. So I wasn't able to make it working.
Looks like VisualArts fixed the bug then...


Quote:
If those patches are common, I think one for Rewrite will be made pretty quickly, maybe even before the shipment would arrive to my end. It's sad, but I guess I need to resort to this kind of "piracy" if I have to. I don't see any sense in restricting an All Ages game like that, they do have international fans just as eager to get their new releases. Unless they're really planning a localization, but they should announce it sooner and not make people worry for nothing.
By "piracy" I meant disabling legitimacy checks (e.g. CD key, disc in CD-ROM tray, etc.) in order to distribute programs to people who didn't buy them. Disabling region-checks would use similar techniques. I don't see modification as piracy if it's done for personal use on a legitimately-purchased item, but I'm not sure what a lawyer would say.

Unfortunately, KEY's past attitudes seem to indicate that they have no interest in non-Japanese fans of their games. Can't say I know why! None of their games have been officially localized, only anime adaptations. I doubt they're planning to do things differently with Rewrite.


Quote:
Do Key releases generally have some fancy extras with their First Editions anyway?
I'm not sure, sorry. I've never seen one of those before...


Quote:
I read about the Memorial Box, would've been very nice to get that one, though I guess it's too late now, or costs much more.
I believe they're out of production. I guess it makes sense, as the box was meant to commemorate a specific year.


Quote:
I posted my YES vote on Ever17 on Aksys, I've been a member of the forums for trying to get Umineko localized. The thing is, I don't have an Xbox and I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon. If I'm getting another console from this gen besides my Wii, that would probably be PS3.
I've heard lots about Umineko... I'd get it if it's localized! I don't have any consoles yet, but a good enough game can persuade me to get one. I think Aksys is a console publisher, no?


Quote:
I have earlier bought products twice from Himeyashop, but that will be down for who knows how long. I didn't have the oppoturnity to check if there was anything of interest while it was still up. As you might have guessed, I have only bought Umineko EP4 and 6 from there. For the most recent batch of products from 07th Expansion, I used AmiAmi, where I'm planning to buy Clannad or Rewrite from also. Jbox's Clannad is a bit more expensive, but thanks for linking me to Remember11. It'll be on my wish list until after Clannad then.
Thanks for the other tips too, might grab one or two!
They closed shop when the Yen got too strong and exports became less profitable, saying they weren't sure when (if) they were returning :-/ I was planning to get Clannad's Piano No Mori from them (they were the only shop that stocked it still), but procrastinated and lost my chance.

I can't seem to find Clannad on AmiAmi... IIRC JBox was the only place I looked that still had Clannad when I bought recently. I like JBox's newsletters as they're semi-educational about Japanese culture! The latest one has left me deeply impressed that the Japanese as a whole are determined to carry on business as usual despite the disasters they faced/are facing.

You're welcome, btw!


Quote:
I tracked it down to a blog post with some info on Clannad patches
....

However, reading this further, I get the feeling that this "official" translation is as official as Witch-Hunt's translation of Umineko
After reading it, I think the author either misunderstood the meaning of "official", or his/her "not out yet" means "not available"
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 00:25   Link #1023
Xcandescent
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
However, reading this further, I get the feeling that this "official" translation is as official as Witch-Hunt's translation of Umineko, meaning they "officially" support the author or the author "officially" supports them. I think I'm reading the above right, so the writer of this text could be the one making misinterpretations:
Contradicting?

Source (released in 2008): http://jerieljan.wordpress.com/2008/...ow-in-english/

Would be neat to have an official translation, of course. Maybe they're doing one for Rewrite too with the "Japan Only". But I wouldn't bet on it.
Short version: No.

Long version: There are no official, KEY-sanctioned translations of their VN's, and that Japan-only region locking garbage is a pretty strong sign that there never will be.

You mentioned Umineko; believe me, life would be so much easier if we had a creator like Ryukishi07 to work with. The animes are, technically, the only official English versions of any KEY work -- and I believe we only have those because production committees make those decisions, not KEY. (I think Clannad, specifically, was part of a deal Sentai made with TBS, which also included Princess Resurrection. However, this was exactly at the time when ADV exploded/reformed into Section23/Sentai/whatever, so press releases are hard to come by.)

The blog post you mentioned uses "official" to refer to the original Baka-Tsuki team. If you search this (50+ page!) thread, you'll find references to a number of "unofficial" patches, which were released without the team's consent. AFAIK, the original people who worked on the B-T translation are no longer doing so, even though B-T still exists, and we still use their Wiki to update the translation files. The B-T effort was a fan translation, and Polarem and I are picking up where they left off.

-XCN-
Xcandescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 13:16   Link #1024
Polarem
Dango Digitizer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Announcement
After 1.5 years, the original Clannad is finally receiving a massive cleanup. This update brings Clannad and Clannad FV to the same level of completeness (Well, to be precise, Original Clannad is using slightly more proofread text). Future updates will ensure that both versions stay in sync. Comments, suggestions and requests are welcome.

Spoiler for README.TXT:


Download links and instructions have been updated: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...68#post3581568

Last edited by Polarem; 2011-04-22 at 07:23. Reason: Redirect to latest download links
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 05:48   Link #1025
Jecht2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Well done Polarem, what you are doing is fantastic.
Jecht2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 09:00   Link #1026
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 20
It's like everything I ever wanted 3 years ago *_*

Though, are menus t/l'd in original? I checked, weren't t/l'd.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 09:37   Link #1027
Polarem
Dango Digitizer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Thanks, Jecht2.

Hopefully Clannad enjoyment is timeless! The Original has its right-click menu (but nothing else) translated, available as a separate download. I've rewritten my 2011-04-02 post to make that clearer. Let me know if the graphics patch doesn't work.
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 08:07   Link #1028
jomay
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
im lost

Hi guys,

im new to all of this. i watched anime growing up but this series made me cry. (anime) i heard from my friends back home that there is a novel for the pc and i looked for it for a while but i couldn't find where i can download and get a english version or atleast understand it. i stumbled to this forum while on my search and please share some of your wisdom about this. im in a grey here and i wanna get this novel and enjoy it. please help me. i been searching for weeks now and i cant find one.

please...
jomay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 09:32   Link #1029
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomay View Post
Hi guys,

im new to all of this. i watched anime growing up but this series made me cry. (anime) i heard from my friends back home that there is a novel for the pc and i looked for it for a while but i couldn't find where i can download and get a english version or atleast understand it. i stumbled to this forum while on my search and please share some of your wisdom about this. im in a grey here and i wanna get this novel and enjoy it. please help me. i been searching for weeks now and i cant find one.

please...
Just a few posts up is the latest and greatest in patches to turn the Japanese version into something you'd be able to read in English!

...But to get a copy of the novel itself (so that you can use the patch!), it is highly recommended that you import/buy it. If you need help with that, there's a thread dedicated to giving you options for buying japanese games.
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 20:53   Link #1030
Polarem
Dango Digitizer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Here's a copy of Clannad Full Voice on eBay (6 days left for bidding): http://cgi.ebay.com/Clannad-FULL-VOI...item3a652604f7

A somewhat trickier, but more reliable method is to buy it from amazon.co.jp (it currently lists 2 new and 8 used copies), and get Tenso to ship it to you (since Amazon doesn't ship overseas). Google Translate can be helpful for understanding those sites.

Let us know if you'd like more help!
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 07:06   Link #1031
Polarem
Dango Digitizer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
EDIT: Downloads are now available from the project website: http://clannad.game-maps.net/

Last edited by Polarem; 2012-04-29 at 05:08. Reason: Point to website
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 07:20   Link #1032
Polarem
Dango Digitizer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Announcement
New graphics translations for both original and FV versions are now available! The latest patch (one post above) translates the stand-alone story images. The rest of the story graphics either require a hack for SEEN.TXT (to deal with sizing issues), or fancy animation, so those will come later.

I've tested the FV patch myself. Someone who has the original Clannad (and who has completed the game, hopefully), please help me check check the VP patch.

Updates in this patch
Translated graphics for:
- CG : Kotomi's violin
- STORY: Prologue
- STORY: Misae's route (VP only -- FV already had it)
- STORY: Fuko's route
- STORY: True End epilogue
Spoiler for After story details:
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 08:27   Link #1033
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarem View Post
Announcement
New graphics translations for both original and FV versions are now available! The latest patch (one post above) translates the stand-alone story images. The rest of the story graphics either require a hack for SEEN.TXT (to deal with sizing issues), or fancy animation, so those will come later.

I've tested the FV patch myself. Someone who has the original Clannad (and who has completed the game, hopefully), please help me check check the VP patch.

Updates in this patch
Translated graphics for:
- CG : Kotomi's violin
- STORY: Prologue
- STORY: Misae's route (VP only -- FV already had it)
- STORY: Fuko's route
- STORY: True End epilogue
Spoiler for After story details:
Coolness! I was actually rather curious to understand those last 2 in particular since my japanese isn't up to snuff yet.
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 23:16   Link #1034
Polarem
Dango Digitizer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Coolness! I was actually rather curious to understand those last 2 in particular since my japanese isn't up to snuff yet.
The translations for all the story graphics are available here (contains spoilers), so you don't have to wait for the next patch
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 06:17   Link #1035
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarem View Post
The translations for all the story graphics are available here (contains spoilers), so you don't have to wait for the next patch
Cool, thanks. That'll come in handy next time (no worry about spoilers, I've finished the game, tv series and that so called movie already )
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 19:25   Link #1036
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: England UK
Does anyone have a link for the current most updated version of Clannad with voice please?

Also, I would suggest that the first post be updated with all the available downloads and news so anyone can see what's the latest news and find the newest downloads and updates.
__________________
IronWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 00:19   Link #1037
Polarem
Dango Digitizer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
Does anyone have a link for the current most updated version of Clannad with voice please?

Also, I would suggest that the first post be updated with all the available downloads and news so anyone can see what's the latest news and find the newest downloads and updates.
Thanks for your suggestion! I'll contact the original poster and see if he's willing to make the update (he's no longer involved in the project).

By "Clannad with voice", do you mean the original 2004 Clannad + voices? If so, I believe the patch 6 posts above (under "Original/Voice Patch") allows you to play voices, provided that you already have the sound files (which are over 1GB, so they won't be provided by this project). You might also need to modify gameexe.ini as described in the first post at http://forums.novelnews.net/showthread.php?t=20900. However, I've never seen a Voice Patch in action, so I don't know if it works.

Could you try it and let me know? If it works, I can incorporate the gameexe.ini modifications into the next update.

Or, if you meant the 2008 Clannad Full Voice version, then the patch 6 posts above (under "Full Voice") is definitely what you want.
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 11:11   Link #1038
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: England UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarem View Post
Thanks for your suggestion! I'll contact the original poster and see if he's willing to make the update (he's no longer involved in the project).

By "Clannad with voice", do you mean the original 2004 Clannad + voices? If so, I believe the patch 6 posts above (under "Original/Voice Patch") allows you to play voices, provided that you already have the sound files (which are over 1GB, so they won't be provided by this project). You might also need to modify gameexe.ini as described in the first post at http://forums.novelnews.net/showthread.php?t=20900. However, I've never seen a Voice Patch in action, so I don't know if it works.

Could you try it and let me know? If it works, I can incorporate the gameexe.ini modifications into the next update.

Or, if you meant the 2008 Clannad Full Voice version, then the patch 6 posts above (under "Full Voice") is definitely what you want.
Ahhh, I think I have the 2008 version, but what's the difference between the two? o.O
__________________
IronWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 11:34   Link #1039
Polarem
Dango Digitizer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
Ahhh, I think I have the 2008 version, but what's the difference between the two? o.O
The 2004 (original) version has no voices, and has lower-resolution graphics (640x480). The 2008 version (Full Voice) has voices, and has higher-resolution graphics (800x600). You can check which version you have by going to the game's title menu: The release date is at the bottom-left corner.

Then, grab the relevant patches from http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...68#post3581568 ...you'll want both the core patch and graphics patch for your version.
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 20:14   Link #1040
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: England UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarem View Post
The 2004 (original) version has no voices, and has lower-resolution graphics (640x480). The 2008 version (Full Voice) has voices, and has higher-resolution graphics (800x600). You can check which version you have by going to the game's title menu: The release date is at the bottom-left corner.

Then, grab the relevant patches from http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...68#post3581568 ...you'll want both the core patch and graphics patch for your version.
Haha, just checked it, yes have the 2008 version, played a little more while I checked, hehe.

Is it possible to force the game into other resolutions like 1080p?

Ah so the patch finally translate the menus! Awesome, I kinda worked out which does what, but this will really help!

Also thanks for all your work! This is my first novel game.

I noticed you said you don't have a website, I could offer you some webspace and setup a subdomain for you for free (maybe even a domain name) where you can store files and updates that allows anyone to download. If you know anything about how to use a website, you could make it into a blog or site.

Do you know how to use a FTP? like Filezilla?
__________________

Last edited by IronWarrior; 2011-04-28 at 20:33.
IronWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bishoujo, game patch, key, pc game, translation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.