AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > AnoHana

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-15, 23:14   Link #181
Mangz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
It will be more inspiring that anything, but I do think it will have a bit of a bittersweet ending. Because in the end, all 6 friends won't be able to reunite, just 5.
Saying it will have a bit of bittersweet is fair, but depending on how the show spins the situation (and even what the ending ends up being itself) it could be practically an insignificant amount of "bitter". I'd have to agree that the show is likely heading towards a "mostly inspiring, slightly bittersweet due to the loss of Menma" ending, but who knows really.

I think it actually might just be me though, since I've always found most bittersweet endings to be more inspiring than sad. I enjoy seeing people overcome hardships. It makes feeling attached to the characters very satisfying, and what really makes good dramas.

Last edited by Mangz; 2011-04-15 at 23:17. Reason: Expanding a bit.
Mangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-15, 23:19   Link #182
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
i also noticed someone was drinking CC Lemon in the op. nice attention to detail. i don't think this will save noitamina, seeing as other shows in its slot in previous years weren't "heavy hitters," and this is more of the same IMO.

who would have thunk that the best two shows this season were slice of life-esque types.. this is going to have a byousoku type ending. i can feel it.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-15, 23:23   Link #183
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
this is going to have a byousoku type ending. i can feel it.
Which is my favorite type of ending in a drama. The ending is part of the reason why 5cm is in my personal top 5.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-15, 23:23   Link #184
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
What can I say, noitamina improves with dwindling popularity, their focus obviously would swift to audiences less susceptible to TV ads, and more picky on where they will spend money. Anyway, despite the excellent first episode (for its genre), I am still apprehensive about the studio they had many shows that started strong, but fell apart during their run (Occult Academy, Sora no Oto, Birdy remake).

As for Mari, it is great that she pulled out two great scripts in the same season, but I wonder why for this one they promoted Menma's state as a surprise it was made blatantly obvious from the first couple of scenes, which makes me a bit worried on the execution... than again with only 11 episodes at hand and a simple concept, there are less possibilities to screw up the transition of the script to screen, like that plot twist.

Finally, it is good to have shows like this and Iroha, that help certain viewers, bloggers, and reviewers to get over their silly phobia of the so called fan-service
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-15, 23:35   Link #185
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
it was made blatantly obvious from the first couple of scenes, which makes me a bit worried on the execution

It's not like they tried to hide it and failed,they never tried to hide it.

If anything that reassures me on the execution,we've only got 11 episodes,we don't have time for things like "is she real or not?",that's not the point of the show.So I like how we got that question dealt with right away.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-15, 23:41   Link #186
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
It's not like they tried to hide it and failed,they never tried to hide it.

If anything that reassures me on the execution,we've only got 11 episodes,we don't have time for things like "is she real or not?",that's not the point of the show.So I like how we got that question dealt with right away.
You know, I am not sure whether they tried to hide it or not, that's why I am worried; if I was certain, I would be sarcastically bashing it, not having much appreciation for the studio
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-15, 23:51   Link #187
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Plimoth
Age: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice
You know what? I think this might save the noitaminA from the chain of bombing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
...by crossing over into territory that is at least partly occupied by otaku. So many great noitaminA shows (House of Five Leaves, in particular, my favorite show of last year) bomb because they are not aimed at any Japanese audience's sweet spot. This might just hit enough of one to succeed.
I'm afraid that's exactly why I won't be watching any more of this show. Call me when noitaminA starts making shows about adults again. I don't know why the Japanese seem so taken with reliving nostalgic visions of childhood and adolescence. It makes me think they're not very happy with their current adult lives.

It's back to Yaichi and Masu for me, perhaps followed by some Matsukata Hiroko. I'll watch a bit more of [C], though I wasn't thrilled by the first episode of that show either despite being helmed by Nakamura Kenji.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-15, 23:54   Link #188
brocko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: \(_o)/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
You know, I am not sure whether they tried to hide it or not, that's why I am worried; if I was certain, I would be sarcastically bashing it, not having much appreciation for the studio
I don't think they wanted to tell you out-right until the near end of the episode, but there were enough clues earlier to lead you down that train of thought anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
It's not like they tried to hide it and failed,they never tried to hide it.

If anything that reassures me on the execution,we've only got 11 episodes,we don't have time for things like "is she real or not?",that's not the point of the show.So I like how we got that question dealt with right away.
My head, you've just reminded me about H20 and it hurts my head .
__________________

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 00:16   Link #189
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
You know, I am not sure whether they tried to hide it or not, that's why I am worried
Having Memma and the dad talk at the same time without him noticing her and then having Jinta say something like "my dad didn't notice her so that must mean..." doesn't make it look like they're trying to hide it at all.

Quote:
I would be sarcastically bashing it, not having much appreciation for the studio
But none of the main staff has much of a history with A1,so that wouldn't seem fair to me.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 00:46   Link #190
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
To be honest guys, I don't see this show getting more depressing later on. I mean, someone already died. Pretty hard to top that.

Which isn't to say it can't be a tearjerker. It can still make you cry, but it's most certainly not because the story will take a sad turn.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Call me when noitaminA starts making shows about adults again. I don't know why the Japanese seem so taken with reliving nostalgic visions of childhood and adolescence. It makes me think they're not very happy with their current adult lives.
While it might be too early to tell, but the feeling I get from the first episode was actually all about moving on from childhood/adolescence (not reliving it); that dwelling in the past (especially traumatic experiences) is childish and that moving forward is the adult thing to do. Or at least, that's the direction I think the series is going towards to. I mean, what other direction can Jinta go when his current self is still all emo about the past, about not being able to say sorry to Menma before she died?

So yeah, if anything, AnoHana is actually trying to convey the exact opposite of what you think it is trying to tell us.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I actually thought noitaminA had stuffed up not getting Iroha into their time slot thinking it was a perfect show for it. It looks like noitaminA had it covered with AnoHana though.. and hopefully next season's Bunny Drops keeps it up.
I can't see how they can screw up Usagi Drops to be honest. As someone who mainly reads manga/watch anime for shipping reasons, Usagi Drops having ZERO of anything for me to ship (or at least not until the time skip ), and me having read every scanslation of it... that's saying something. The source is THAT good IMO. It would take numerous and huge blunders to really mess Usagi Drops.

But hey, can't say I was always right so...


Kinda weird though, as I thought both Hanasaku Iroha and this show are too 'jdrama-like' to be ever a hit to otaku, like TT before it. So yeah, perplexed at how it got to the top 100 of preorders, let alone #2.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 00:54   Link #191
DJ.Ozura
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
The ending theme...i knew it heard it before.

Kyo no Gononi ED1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBsdm9XADmQ

But the episode was still nice
DJ.Ozura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 00:55   Link #192
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Having Memma and the dad talk at the same time without him noticing her and then having Jinta say something like "my dad didn't notice her so that must mean..." doesn't make it look like they're trying to hide it at all.
I was not clear, the twist is certainly in the script, what I am questioning is the execution... storyboard onwards. From the few promos I remember, I was expecting a huge surprise, which was revealed casually within a couple of minutes into the show... Now this can be intentional from the script (therefore promotion junk), or unintentional from incompetent personnel, or both, or none

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
But none of the main staff has much of a history with A1,so that wouldn't seem fair to me.
True, but A-1 still provides the bulk of the personnel that draw, storyboard, etc. You know 90% of what you see... take the best director and give him crappy personnel and you'll have a fail, but not vice versa.

Anyway, I am nitpicking here, since there is just one episode to draw conclusion from, and I am quite happy to see attention drawn by audiences that loathe shows with certain elements (psgels blog is an excellent example) slowly understanding that sex and plot can perfectly coexist in quality anime.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 01:07   Link #193
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ.Ozura View Post
The ending theme...i knew it heard it before.

Kyo no Gononi ED1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBsdm9XADmQ

But the episode was still nice
That's wholly appropriate, since chibi-Jinta looks exactly like Ryouta.

I still have a hard time believing this show was at the top of any preorder lists. It just doesn't seem to have any major otaku selling points as far as I can tell. Maybe they were getting Clannad vibes?
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 01:12   Link #194
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
I was not clear, the twist is certainly in the script, what I am questioning is the execution... storyboard onwards. From the few promos I remember, I was expecting a huge surprise, which was revealed casually within a couple of minutes into the show...
Well, isn't exactly what they did. From the very first scenes I thought Menma was just a very annoying little sister to Jintan and he was just ignoring her.
The twist occurs when she sits on him in front of dad, and he doesn't notice at all, but prior to this, there were two strong hints: 1) the father entering and only greeting Jintan (as if there was only one person there) 2) more a fact than a hint, when Jintan is preparing ramen, we see the reflection on the cupboard's mirror.. and there's no Menma.

After these scenes I realized Menma existed just in Jintan's eyes, while before I thought she existed, period. So that was a surprise, at least as far as I am concerned.
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 01:43   Link #195
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
From the few promos I remember, I was expecting a huge surprise, which was revealed casually within a couple of minutes into the show
Check back to page 3 of this thread,one of the PVs of the show had Memma saying the line "Even I know...that I'm already dead." so even in the previews they told you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellissier
After these scenes I realized Menma existed just in Jintan's eyes, while before I thought she existed, period. So that was a surprise, at least as far as I am concerned.
I think Malkuth thought that the surprise would come later than the first couple minutes and the show would keep the viewer guessing
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 02:03   Link #196
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Since Otakus are primarily character driven when it comes to buying anime-related merchandise, maybe they were drawn to Menma's moeness... but who knows.

And it's funny... I came from an Asian drama background, got tired of it and now my favourite animes are those that seems Asian drama like.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 02:08   Link #197
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Check back to page 3 of this thread,one of the PVs of the show had Memma saying the line "Even I know...that I'm already dead." so even in the previews they told you.
As I said, from what I remembered of some promo. I try not to spoil myself too much, plus I never really cared for noitamina, since most of the stuff they put on that zone are lacking in so many departments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I think Malkuth thought that the surprise would come later than the first couple minutes and the show would keep the viewer guessing
Also @pellissier, I more of hoped (rather than thought) that they could work the surprise better. Still I must say that despite having a clear idea of what was going on with Honma, the scene with her family did not lose its impact.

Another fun fact, a show targeting jaded single office ladies growing out of shoujo manga acknowledge the existence of pornography... that was hilarious
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 02:17   Link #198
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In your brain
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Since Otakus are primarily character driven when it comes to buying anime-related merchandise, maybe they were drawn to Menma's moeness... but who knows.

And it's funny... I came from an Asian drama background, got tired of it and now my favourite animes are those that seems Asian drama like.
Well, I can pretty much say that impact of this first episode almost equals the impact of Madoka 3rd episode. Character hasn't even introduced properly yet, and recent trend proves that Otaku isn't mindless jerks who only buys something with moe, but something with moe + quality.
__________________
If anyone attacks Shaft
I will be there to defend it to death.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 02:20   Link #199
TJR
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
While it might be too early to tell, but the feeling I get from the first episode was actually all about moving on from childhood/adolescence (not reliving it); that dwelling in the past (especially traumatic experiences) is childish and that moving forward is the adult thing to do. Or at least, that's the direction I think the series is going towards to. I mean, what other direction can Jinta go when his current self is still all emo about the past, about not being able to say sorry to Menma before she died?

So yeah, if anything, AnoHana is actually trying to convey the exact opposite of what you think it is trying to tell us.
The story is about adolescents growing up, so you're correct about the show's theme.

Nevertheless the series is aimed at an adult audience, so reliving adolescence (the joy, pain, bewilderment, and innocence that go along with it) is very much the point. I think that's what SeijiSensei is getting at. While the show may achieve what it set out to do, it's unlikely to interest people who want more sophisticated stories that focus on adult life.

That's kind of the disconnect between the anime market and other forms of entertainment. For instance, young adult novels, no matter how acclaimed they may be, are intended for a very specific demographic. It isn't like you'll find many adults demanding more Catcher in the Rye, Outsiders, or other teen oriented novels they read in junior high. However, adult-oriented anime is almost all about immersing the viewer in the world of children/teenagers again.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 02:23   Link #200
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Also @pellissier, I more of hoped (rather than thought) that they could work the surprise better. Still I must say that despite having a clear idea of what was going on with Honma, the scene with her family did not lose its impact.
Heh, but that has most likely to do with the fact they only have 11 episodes. As said in a previous post, while Hanasaku Iroha has 26 episode to work with and can dilute the emotions (having the result of making the audience grow more attached to the characters and consequently more involved when drama/tragedy comes into play), AnoHana has only 11 and thus need to speed up. Even so the powerfulness of certain scenes ine episode 1 more than made up for it.

I agree on the family visit scene. It was poignant, especially when the camera zoomed on Menma's eyes while crying and replying to her mama on the matter that even she would have noticed she's dead.
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coming of age, drama, moe, noitamina, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.