AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Hidan no Aria

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-16, 11:23   Link #1061
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
That's outside the realm of imagination, not insensible.
...


You mean Artistic Licence?
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 11:43   Link #1062
hoarfrost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
That's outside the realm of imagination, not insensible.

Please actually state 'what does not make sense.' Something that is completely incongruous, such as, "Why didn't the bomb manic just explode the bomb after the segway was destroyed."

...which will be explained later.
Really? That stuff is just the tip of the iceberg of nonsense. How about the protagonist getting horny and turning into a gun wielding Nanaya? I could accept that he acquired this skill through some sort of extreme conditioning, but why do they have to use such a silly and cliche trigger? Why does no one care that Kuguloli fires live rounds in a crowded class? Why does she move in with him (Even I can answer this one, it's probably so that the moe childhood friend has an excuse to move in with him too out of jealousy, suddenly HAREM)?

I'm getting serious IS vibes from this, from the world full of plot holes to the length of contrivance the author is willing to go to just to use the archetypal high school setting rather than thinking up a more imaginative one.

I've seen worse, and if you like this then that's totally cool. But I don't see that much effort was put into it a all and if I'm wrong, the fruits of that labour have yet to be born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Are you kidding? You must not have seen many lame openings then. The series KNOWS it's a generic opening and it actually makes fun of itself for doing it. That negates anything "lame" about it.
Pointing out the awfulness of your writing is so common these days it could hardly be called clever. You know what would be clever? Better writing.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 11:59   Link #1063
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Please actually state 'what does not make sense.'

A 'cliche' trigger, (is it actually cliche? What other protagonist becomes awesome when he is aroused through a hereditary condition Oo) is once again, is not something that does not make sense. You may think it's stupid, but it's not something that is incongruous or impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
Why do they have to use a silly trigger?
Akamatsu-sensei is the one making all the money, having sold around 2 million copies of his light novel, so why don't you write a book with a trigger that makes sense and get 2 million people to buy it.

Silly is purely subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
Why does no one care that Kuguloli fires live rounds.
Explained in light novel.

Spoiler for Excerpt, already covered in anime.:


Firing a gun during the introductions of the new semester, she's got to be the first one.

...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
I'm getting serious IS vibes from this, from the world full of plot holes to the length of contrivance the author is willing to go to just to use the archetypal high school setting rather than thinking up a more imaginative one.
School Life is a popular genre for shounen. Authors have to think of the demographic when they write as well, or else it might not sell*. Rather than criticizing the setting, you should try to pick more plot holes since you're claiming that this is an iceberg of nonsense.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-04-16 at 12:36. Reason: Let's leave out future spoilers here per the forum's Spoiler Policy...
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:19   Link #1064
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
Really? That stuff is just the tip of the iceberg of nonsense. How about the protagonist getting horny and turning into a gun wielding Nanaya? I could accept that he acquired this skill through some sort of extreme conditioning, but why do they have to use such a silly and cliche trigger? Why does no one care that Kuguloli fires live rounds in a crowded class? Why does she move in with him (Even I can answer this one, it's probably so that the moe childhood friend has an excuse to move in with him too out of jealousy, suddenly HAREM)?

I'm getting serious IS vibes from this, from the world full of plot holes to the length of contrivance the author is willing to go to just to use the archetypal high school setting rather than thinking up a more imaginative one.

I've seen worse, and if you like this then that's totally cool. But I don't see that much effort was put into it a all and if I'm wrong, the fruits of that labour have yet to be born.



Pointing out the awfulness of your writing is so common these days it could hardly be called clever. You know what would be clever? Better writing.
Does not happen permanently. And even then, not like that. What's wrong with harem genre?
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:20   Link #1065
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Explained in light novel.

Spoiler for Excerpt, already covered in anime.:


Firing a gun during the introductions of the new semester, she's got to be the first one.

Spoiler for Added to this...:
That's not an explanation, it's a handwave. Realistically, that kind of attitude should have resulted in a lot of fatal accidents and attendant shower of fecal matter.

Spoiler for added to this:
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:25   Link #1066
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's not an explanation, it's a handwave. Realistically, that kind of attitude should have resulted in a lot of fatal accidents and attendant shower of fecal matter.

Spoiler for added to this:
No laws, apart from Butei Law, apply to Butei.

I would like to hear how purposefully shooting the wall could cause fatalities though, especially in a non-ricochet plaster wall like that.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:26   Link #1067
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
No laws, apart from the Butei Law, apply to Butei.
That's just even more insane...
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:28   Link #1068
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That's just even more insane...
Certainly.

However, it still makes sense.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:29   Link #1069
Kagayaki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Explained in light novel.

Spoiler for Excerpt, already covered in anime.:


Firing a gun during the introductions of the new semester, she's got to be the first one.
It's not a matter of being desensitized to gunfire, and it doesn't matter whether or not it's legal. It's a matter of firing in a way in which you could easily hit other students. Believe it or not, in the real world, carrying a gun comes with a certain amount of responsibility, and Aria is clearly not mature enough for that. It's not like the Butei are so superhuman that they can just shrug off getting hit by a stray bullet.

The fact is that firing a gun like that in a crowded space for no apparent purpose is flat out immoral, and it doesn't make any sense why the school administration would be ok with that.
__________________
Kagayaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:30   Link #1070
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Certainly.

However, it still makes sense.
No it doesn't. If this anime is trying to make settings that involve using real world logic (such as trying to lower crime rates) then it stands to reason that such plot elements can be scrutinized using real world logic.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:31   Link #1071
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
The show is supposed be insane.

Seriously, if you don't like it, don't watch it.
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:34   Link #1072
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I personally have mixed feelings, overall.

If you don't like my posts then don't read them...
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:34   Link #1073
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That's just even more insane...
Yes well, seeing that this series places more emphasis on character interactions and in no way pretends it's a heavy setting like for eample Phantom -PHANTOM OF INFERNO....

You might as well criticize the whole comedy genre....Fine if this is not your thing but is unfair to just focus on this series if so.
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:35   Link #1074
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
No it doesn't. If this anime is trying to make settings that involve using real world logic (such as trying to lower crime rates) then it stands to reason that such plot elements can be scrutinized using real world logic.
Oh please, the very premise of Hidan no Aria is not based on a real world.
As you said before, who would let a bunch of high school students carry around guns in a real world.

Merely using the real world as a basis and taking elements from it does not constitute making the entire setting the real world.

It's pretty much a parallel universe, as there are supernatural elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Seriously, if you don't like it, don't watch it
There's no need to tell someone not to watch something because they think it's bad. In fact, you should never say that to anyone. Anyway, the only reason I'm even arguing is because they're making flawed arguments. After all, this is not a shipping war, so it's actually possible to be right.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:35   Link #1075
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
No laws, apart from Butei Law, apply to Butei.

I would like to hear how purposefully shooting the wall could cause fatalities though, especially in a non-ricochet plaster wall like that.
Next, you'll tell me butei never have accidents...

Seriously, there's a reason gun safety rules exist. And I'm pretty sure shooting in the direction of your classmates just to let them know you're angry is frowned upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That's just even more insane...
Seconded.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:36   Link #1076
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
The only thing more silly than the setting, are the people forcing their real world logic and views into a completely different world.

It's like watching that one 'slower' child trying to put the square shaped toy into the triangle slot...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:37   Link #1077
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
don't use light novel spoilers for explanation on the latest episode.

The butei students are covered with bullet proof when they enter 2nd year. So aside from a hit from the head then the chances of death isn't that high but still there are chances. And when you enrolled in butei high then you should be responsible for your life. It's an institution of armed detectives to begin with.

Though Aria's action is pretty childish just from the word Love. But that's her character. Plus there are reasons from it but just I say no reasoning using novel so I can't answer that aside that it's a tsunderes act.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:37   Link #1078
Nera Sleith
我らがツインテールに、勝る萌え無し!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
If you don't like my posts then don't read them...
You wouldn't know if you like or don't like someone's post until you read them.

This is true for this series. You wouldn't like it until you've seen what it really offers.
__________________
Nera Sleith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:39   Link #1079
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Oh please, the very premise of Hidan no Aria is not based on a real world.
As you said before, who would let a bunch of high school students carry around guns in a real world.

Merely using the real world as a basis and taking elements from it does not constitute making the entire setting the real world.

It's pretty much a parallel universe, as there are supernatural elements.
As I've stated already, it's clearly trying to explain the setting using real world logic. It says they're being trained to lower crime rates. Now if that doesn't actually make a damn bit of sense and sounds completely idiotic yet they expect us to just accept it without pointing out how ludicrous it is, then the whole thing looks absurd. If it was trying to present itself as silly then I wouldn't mind but it clearly wasn't.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:40   Link #1080
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
don't use light novel spoilers for explanation on the latest episode.

The butei students are covered with bullet proof when they enter 2nd year. So aside from a hit from the head then the chances of death isn't that high but still there are chances. And when you enrolled in butei high then you should be responsible for your life. It's an institution of armed detectives to begin with.

Though Aria's action is pretty childish just from the word Love. But that's her character. Plus there are reasons from it but just I say no reasoning using novel so I can't answer that aside that it's a tsunderes act.
Try pulling that shit in a barracks full of soldiers, and see how "responsible for their lives" they feel. Or rather, how much of that responsibility translates to "letting it slide", and how much to "shooting you before you can shoot them, because you're clearly a deranged maniac".
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, guns, harem, loli, romance, school life, shounen, tsundere

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.