AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Hidan no Aria

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-16, 12:41   Link #1081
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nera Sleith View Post
You wouldn't know if you like or don't like someone's post until you read them.

This is true for this series. You wouldn't like it until you've seen what it really offers.
Seriously.....I mean it's like only the first episode....emphasis on "really"
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:43   Link #1082
Kagayaki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Age: 24
It's not a matter of real world vs. imaginary world.

In this imaginary world, people die when they get hit by gunshots.

In this imaginary world, people seem to have more or less standard human morality.

In this imaginary world, it's perfectly acceptable to shoot at your fellow classmates (Aria misses blonde twintail girl by about 20cm) because they were teasing you.

The last statement doesn't work, given the first two rules of this imaginary world.

Now I'm not going to say "No fun allowed, this series is ridiculous and I won't watch it." I'll probably keep watching it, in fact. But you guys have to recognize that there are plot holes here.
__________________
Kagayaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:44   Link #1083
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nera Sleith View Post
You wouldn't know if you like or don't like someone's post until you read them.
Yes. THANK YOU.

I failed to mention this but I got pretty pissed when someone earlier said "Lolis shouldn't be heroines."

Why the hell not!?

As far as I'm concerned, that's complete discrimination. Looking much younger than you really are is a physical condition. (With being well into adulthood yet looking about 13, I'M LIVING PROOF). It's the same as saying "Really tall girls shouldn't be heroines" or "Girls in wheelchairs shouldn't be heroines".

It'd be ideal if such people would keep their close-minded comments to themselves. Because I was quite offended by that statement.
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:46   Link #1084
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I just have one thing to say to everyone posting above.

This is not a real world.


And Haak:

Once again, using the real world as a basis. This is a partially-fictional world (parallel universe), so the author can play around with the mindsets of people and the characters as much as he likes as long as he does not make contradictions within his own logic.

Since the existence of Butei as a counter to rising crime rates is not contradictory, then everything still makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
It's not a matter of real world vs. imaginary world.

In this imaginary world, people die when they get hit by gunshots.

In this imaginary world, people seem to have more or less standard human morality.

In this imaginary world, it's perfectly acceptable to shoot at your fellow classmates (Aria misses blonde twintail girl by about 20cm) because they were teasing you.

The last statement doesn't work, given the first two rules of this imaginary world.

Now I'm not going to say "No fun allowed, this series is ridiculous and I won't watch it." I'll probably keep watching it, in fact. But you guys have to recognize that there are plot holes here.
Your last statement is incorrect.

In this imaginary world, it's perfectly acceptable in Butei High to shoot at your fellow classmates as long as you don't kill them.

As stated by Butei Law article 9.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:48   Link #1085
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
The basis itself is contradicting it's own logic. And External Consistency matters just as much as Internal Consistency in my book.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:48   Link #1086
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
It's not a matter of real world vs. imaginary world.

In this imaginary world, people die when they get hit by gunshots.

In this imaginary world, people seem to have more or less standard human morality.

In this imaginary world, it's perfectly acceptable to shoot at your fellow classmates (Aria misses blonde twintail girl by about 20cm) because they were teasing you.

The last statement doesn't work, given the first two rules of this imaginary world.

Now I'm not going to say "No fun allowed, this series is ridiculous and I won't watch it." I'll probably keep watching it, in fact. But you guys have to recognize that there are plot holes here.
That's not called a plot hole. That is called insertion of humor which may or may not fit your cup of tea. I admit this kind of stuff is YMMV but no, it's not supposed to be taken as a serious part of the story proper.
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:49   Link #1087
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
Now I'm not going to say "No fun allowed, this series is ridiculous and I won't watch it." I'll probably keep watching it, in fact. But you guys have to recognize that there are plot holes here.
Eh, hate to break it to you, especially since you did such a great job setting up the punchline, but that's not what a plothole is.

You might be new to this concept, but violence in a comical, light hearted atmosphere and fashion, are just that- It's not suppose to be broken down and discuss in a big public morality committee whether or not the children should be exposed to this material.

My advice? Less books, more TV. Video games won't hurt either.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:50   Link #1088
Kagayaki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Your last statement is incorrect.

In this imaginary world, it's perfectly acceptable in Butei High to shoot at your fellow classmates as long as you don't kill them.

As stated by Butei Law article 9.
Yeah, and I'm saying that that rule makes no sense given the other rules of the world.
__________________
Kagayaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:52   Link #1089
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The basis itself is contradicting it's own logic. And External Consistency matters just as much as Internal Consistency in my book.
...What? When you take a basis of a world, you don't automatically take all the logic rules with you. Akamatsu-sensei merely assimilated the logic of our world as applies to the normal populace, while giving different logic to those abnormal people in Butei High. (They're explicitly stated as abnormal.)

External Consistency as opposed to Internal Consistency is your own opinion.

Therefore you still can't say it doesn't make sense, which is the whole point of this argument in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
Yeah, and I'm saying that that rule makes no sense given the other rules of the world.
The normal populace do not like Butei.

They see them as crazy gunslingers...Because they are, (in regards to Assault, at least.)

And once again, normal rules do not apply to Butei.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:56   Link #1090
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
...What? When you take a basis of a world, you don't automatically take all the logic rules with you. Akamatsu-sensei merely assimilated the logic of our world as applies to the normal populace, while giving different logic to those abnormal people in Butei High. (They're explicitly stated as abnormal.)

External Consistency as opposed to Internal Consistency is your own opinion.

Therefore you still can't say it doesn't make sense, which is the whole point of this argument in the first place.
First of all, you've defined what makes "sense" as entirely Internal Consistency without a second thought for other people's perspective. If I think External Consistency is important then the show doesn't make sense.

Secondly, you should take all the logic rules with you (unless it's for comedy or something similar) because otherwise it doesn't make sense.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:56   Link #1091
TJR
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I don't even see any similarities of IS too. So I can't understand why Aria is the summer IS.
Don't think too deeply on the story or character details. The reason Aria is regarded as the new IS is:

a) it replaces Infinite Stratos on the same timeslot
b) it's an adaptation of another Media Factory light novel (new entry in a 3-part TBS x MF collaboration)
c) it's an equally vapid, poorly written, and soulless blend of popular fan elements

While point c) may be subjective, it's going to be a common opinion. You know what people think of most light novels, right? Basically, you have an unskilled, unimaginative author (who'd never get published anywhere else and knows it) throwing a bunch of otaku tropes into a blender and then dressing it up with some pretty pictures. The contents may be as appetizing as vomit to most onlookers, but a select group of people will happily eat it anyway.

As far as anime goes, these novels are adapted once the smallest of audiences has been established. Indeed, they're now created with anime in mind (purpose of making the source is to ride on the popularity of the successful franchises that hit it big with fandom; the general perception is that they're worse than the forerunners and only exist to exploit), which brings us to the recent crop of shows. In that regard, Hidan no Aria is part of the same wave as Infinite Stratos, hence the comparisons.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:59   Link #1092
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
First of all, you've defined what makes "sense" as entirely Internal Consistency without a second thought for other people's perspective. If I think External Consistency is important then the show doesn't make sense.

Secondly, you should take all the logic rules with you (unless it's for comedy or something similar) because otherwise it doesn't make sense.
All the logic rules are taken over from the real world in regards to the normal populace.

The series, standalone, makes sense. If you don't think it makes sense, that's fine by me. I'm not going to tell you what to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
While point c) may be subjective, it's going to be a common opinion. You know what people think of most light novels, right? Basically, you have an unskilled, unimaginative author (who'd never get published anywhere else and knows it) throwing a bunch of otaku tropes into a blender and then dressing it up with some pretty pictures. The contents may be as appetizing as vomit to most onlookers, but a select group of people will happily eat it anyway.

As far as anime goes, these novels are adapted once the smallest of audiences has been established. Indeed, they're now created with anime in mind (purpose of making the source is to ride on the popularity of the successful franchises that hit it big with fandom; the general perception is that they're worse than the forerunners and only exist to exploit), which brings us to the recent crop of shows. In that regard, Hidan no Aria is part of the same wave as Infinite Stratos, hence the comparisons.
I see, you're one of those experts that thinks that a series is trash because it has large amounts of moe elements to cater to the demographic.

The reason it wouldn't be published anywhere else is not because it's bad, but because Media Factory keeps a tight-fisted hold on shounen harem.
Of course, whether these harems have a plot or not is dependent on the author.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:59   Link #1093
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Don't think too deeply on the story or character details. The reason Aria is regarded as the new IS is:

a) it replaces Infinite Stratos on the same timeslot
b) it's an adaptation of another Media Factory light novel (new entry in a 3-part TBS x MF collaboration)
c) it's an equally vapid, poorly written, and soulless blend of popular fan elements

While point c) may be subjective, it's going to be a common opinion. You know what people think of most light novels, right? Basically, you have an unskilled, unimaginative author (who'd never get published anywhere else and knows it) throwing a bunch of otaku tropes into a blender and then dressing it up with some pretty pictures. The contents may be as appetizing as vomit to most onlookers, but a select group of people will happily eat it anyway.

As far as anime goes, these novels are adapted once the smallest of audiences has been established. Indeed, they're now created with anime in mind (purpose of making the source is to ride on the popularity of the successful franchises that hit it big with fandom; the general perception is that they're worse than the forerunners and only exist to exploit), which brings us to the recent crop of shows. In that regard, Hidan no Aria is part of the same wave as Infinite Stratos, hence the comparisons.
The other similarities include having an Academy based on something cool and a harem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
All the logic rules are taken over from the real world in regards to the normal populace.
You don't think giving abnormal children guns to reduce crime rates is going to affect he normal populace? The effect on the normal populace is half the reason why it doesn't make sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
All the logic rules are taken over from the real world in regards to the normal populace.
You don't think giving abnormal children guns to reduce crime rates is going to affect he normal populace? The effect on the normal populace is half the reason why it doesn't make sense...
__________________

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-04-16 at 13:02. Reason: Edit button, edit button...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 13:01   Link #1094
Kagayaki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
The normal populace do not like Butei.

They see them as crazy gunslingers...Because they are, (in regards to Assault, at least.)

And once again, normal rules do not apply to Butei.
Ok, well I haven't read the light novels, so I don't actually know the answers to these questions, but I'm curious (and this part doesn't make any sense to me right now), so please bear with me.

Who pays for the Butei? Who writes these Butei laws (and convinces the public to support their existence? If the public is opposed to their presence and this was a democracy, I'm guessing they wouldn't be publicly funded and there's no way their existence would be legal.

So is this world run by some oligarchy of the super-rich who hold very different views compared to the general public? I mean, someone other than the Butei are obviously in favor of their existence.
__________________
Kagayaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 13:04   Link #1095
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
Ok, well I haven't read the light novels, so I don't actually know the answers to these questions, but I'm curious (and this part doesn't make any sense to me right now), so please bear with me.

Who pays for the Butei? Who writes these Butei laws (and convinces the public to support their existence? If the public is opposed to their presence and this was a democracy, I'm guessing they wouldn't be publicly funded and there's no way their existence would be legal.

So is this world run by some oligarchy of the super-rich who hold very different views compared to the general public? I mean, someone other than the Butei are obviously in favor of their existence.
The citizens aren't against their existence. They just don't like them.
In fact, the citizens themselves are the ones commissioning the Butei to do jobs for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
You don't think giving abnormal children guns to reduce crime rates is going to affect he normal populace? The effect on the normal populace is half the reason why it doesn't make sense...

Of course it will affect the normal populace...By decreasing the rate of crime.

These children are abnormal, which is why they keep their own world, even having a whole artificial island to themselves. They hang around with other Butei most of the time, so they aren't affecting the normal populace that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The other similarities include having an Academy based on something cool and a harem.
One of them is a genre, and the other is an extremely used setting. Therefore there will be repeats. Thousands of them.

Before someone says "I don't like it because it's not original," then I can safely tell you that there isn't much in the world that hasn't been done before.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 13:04   Link #1096
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Don't think too deeply on the story or character details. The reason Aria is regarded as the new IS is:

a) it replaces Infinite Stratos on the same timeslot
b) it's an adaptation of another Media Factory light novel (new entry in a 3-part TBS x MF collaboration)
c) it's an equally vapid, poorly written, and soulless blend of popular fan elements

While point c) may be subjective, it's going to be a common opinion. You know what people think of most light novels, right? Basically, you have an unskilled, unimaginative author (who'd never get published anywhere else and knows it) throwing a bunch of otaku tropes into a blender and then dressing it up with some pretty pictures. The contents may be as appetizing as vomit to most onlookers, but a select group of people will happily eat it anyway.

As far as anime goes, these novels are adapted once the smallest of audiences has been established. Indeed, they're now created with anime in mind (purpose of making the source is to ride on the popularity of the successful franchises that hit it big with fandom; the general perception is that they're worse than the forerunners and only exist to exploit), which brings us to the recent crop of shows. In that regard, Hidan no Aria is part of the same wave as Infinite Stratos, hence the comparisons.
...............What.........3 years without an anime adaptation.....and it's doing relatively well before this.

Clearly you have no idea about the LN industry...

If anything, it's anime studios looking for something new to turn into shows that go to the LN publishers. Not the other way round.

Also, Kamachi Kazuma and the pile of cash he's sitting on now laughs at your baseless assumption that LN authors are wash-outs.
__________________

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2011-04-16 at 13:16.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 13:06   Link #1097
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
My advice? Less books, more TV. Video games won't hurt either.
That's terrible advice and you should be ashamed of yourself.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 13:08   Link #1098
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
Who pays for the Butei? Who writes these Butei laws (and convinces the public to support their existence? If the public is opposed to their presence and this was a democracy, I'm guessing they wouldn't be publicly funded and there's no way their existence would be legal.

So is this world run by some oligarchy of the super-rich who hold very different views compared to the general public? I mean, someone other than the Butei are obviously in favor of their existence.
The public or the government. Most people who don't trust the police or something with their works. When the crime rates increase the people despite having problems with some of the butei still clings to them. But since they are just mercenaries. If they fail everyone will criticize them but if they succeed few will only knew. The client and the one who is doing the job.

The government establish the butei system because they can't deal with bigger problems so they are the mostly the one who puts the job or bounty. The bounty is put and the butei will work. But for high school butei. More like school credits are the reward.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 13:09   Link #1099
winkel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
You know what people think of most light novels, right? Basically, you have an unskilled, unimaginative author (who'd never get published anywhere else and knows it) throwing a bunch of otaku tropes into a blender and then dressing it up with some pretty pictures. The contents may be as appetizing as vomit to most onlookers, but a select group of people will happily eat it anyway.
What? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard. You might as well say that about the entire anime/manga/light novel industry: full of hacks who couldn't make it in the real world and are now stuck making kiddy animated/drawn stuff for nerds and 10-year olds.

Believe it or not, some people actually do these kinds of things for a living because they enjoy it. Strange concept, no?
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 13:11   Link #1100
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Of course it will affect the normal populace...By decreasing the rate of crime.

These children are abnormal, which is why they keep their own world, even having a whole artificial island to themselves. They hang around with other Butei most of the time, so they aren't affecting the normal populace that way.
So what happens when one abnormal teenager with lots and lots of guns decides they wants to do something...not quite right...

As if that can't possibly happen.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, guns, harem, loli, romance, school life, shounen, tsundere

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.