AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2011-04-17, 12:58   Link #701
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Spoiler for 3:
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 13:01   Link #702
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Lol, I like the writer line of thinking.
Minchi is so tsuntsun. Balut!

Ohana yells so much it scares Nako. Ohana b*tchin' and gets shit right!
Old 2011-04-17, 13:07   Link #703
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
To makes things worse, Sankaku as the troll site they are, jump on this episode immediately and decides to ridicule it. Couldn't make my day worse .
Old 2011-04-17, 13:16   Link #704
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Yeah... I'm not even sure what happened here. It was going so well, and they still had so many possibilities. It's not like we had a case of the authors writing themselves in a corner or anything like that.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 13:30   Link #705
Sides

I almost didn't notice that Omigawa Chiaki was in this series, until 3rd episode, where you can clearly hear her usual voice, in a couple of scenes. She almost had me fooled.

Last edited by Sides; 2011-04-18 at 12:44. Reason: sorry meant 3rd not 2nd episode
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 13:35   Link #706
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 3:
Old 2011-04-17, 13:38   Link #707
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Expected this episode to be decisive, did not expect as many negative reactions as its been getting.

I'm going to have to throw in with Midonin and Kanon here... I enjoyed this episode a lot. It didn't break mood for me - Ohana dealing with constant curveballs is one of my favourite things in this show. The girl is nothing if not adaptable. We still had the colourful cast of characters, still had the great art... just with a slightly larger than usual curveball. Plus the fanservice was in general suitably artistic, just as I'd expect from this show.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 13:47   Link #708
Ghostfriendly

Really liked ep3, with many outlandish conventions getting a matter-of-fact and undramatised meeting with reality. It's like the novelist dropped in from a much crazier anime, and everyone else is just reacting sanely to insane situations. I think its too early to say that absurd humour is wrong for this anime, and I'm glad Ohana established her relationships with the other girls.

Funniest moment has to be the old man blushing about being tied up....
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 13:50   Link #709
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
If I had never watched Hana Saku-Iroha, and a friend of mine showed me this episode (Episode 3) after saying "You have to see this! It's a hilarious satirical show that lampoons slice of life, coming of age dramas!", I would have thoroughly enjoyed it. If you view it that way, its insanely over-the-top melodrama, and its laughably contrived scenarios intended to have forced emotional impact, would work beautifully.

The problem is, of course, that Hana Saku-Iroha isn't a show intended to parody slice of life coming of age dramas. Or, at least, I don't think that it is...

A couple more episodes like this one, though, and I'll start to think that maybe Hana Saku-Iroha is a satirical deconstruction of slice of life coming of age dramas, and this anime is a trap that actually did pull the wool over people's eyes for the first couple of episodes (unlike, say, Madoka Magica, where loads of people saw the deconstruction coming from miles away).

So, like viperdk1 said, this episode would work fine in an anime that prides itself on melodrama and ridiculousness, but it feels really out of place in Hana Saku-Iroha, given what the first two episodes were like.

And that's because, as FatPianoBoy said, the tonal shift here is incredible. I feel like I'm just walked out of a serious True Tears-style drama and into a show intended primarily to parody Jun Maeda.

Aside from that, a couple more specific points:

Spoiler for Episode 3 Spoilers:

Edit:
To try to convey my point a bit more clearly, suppose you were watching a Terminator movie, and after 40 minutes of bad ass, deathly serious, conventional action flick drama, you suddenly were getting 20 minutes of comedy violence/situations on par with Leslie Nielson's The Naked Gun.

It's not that either or is bad (I enjoyed most of the Terminator and Naked Gun movies), it's just that it doesn't flow well from one to the other, imo.

That's how I feel about how Hana-Saku Iroha's 3rd episode compares to its first two.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-04-17 at 14:07.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 13:55   Link #710
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
all workers left the inn just to chase one FAIL novelist!?!
He DID steal their truck.

Though I will admit I was kinda surprised by peoples reactions. It's different than what we've had the last two episodes, but I didn't think it was bad.

That last segment at the end with Grandma DOES make it pretty clear that this isn't going to be an *evil matriarch* story.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 14:02   Link #711
viperdk1
Heart = Stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Though I will admit I was kinda surprised by peoples reactions. It's different than what we've had the last two episodes, but I didn't think it was bad.
It's not a case of whether it's bad or not (as a standalone episode, it's actually pretty good) - it's more whether or not it fits with the direction the anime has been taking in the episodes prior to this one.

From the general consensus (myself included), it didn't fit at all - as previous stated, melodrama and ridiculousness in an anime that appears to pride itself upon serious coming of age/slice of life drama.

Hence why most people think that it was a 'bad' episode (I did say it was a pile of turd). On reflection of what I said myself, it's bad, but only in context with what we're seen from this anime before.

Last edited by viperdk1; 2011-04-17 at 14:09. Reason: ...typo.
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 14:07   Link #712
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdk1 View Post
It's not a case of whether it's bad or not (as a standalone episode, it's actually pretty good) - it's more whether or not it fits with the the direction the anime has been taking in the episodes prior to this one.

From the general consensus (myself included), it didn't fit at all - as previous stated, melodrama and ridiculousness in an anime that appears to pride itself upon serious coming of age/slice of life drama.

Hence why most people think that it was a 'bad' episode (I did say it was a pile of turd). On reflection of what I said myself, it's bad, but only in context with what we're seen from this anime before.
This is exactly how I feel. If say the previous Hanasaku Iroha episodes were like this one, then I would have no problem with it. I would also not have put in as much faith as I currently am in regards to the series progression if I wasn't so misled.

However, I'm still fairly optimistic that episode 4 is going to return to the style of the previous 2 episodes. If later episodes turn out like to be this one, then I'm going to have to completely rework my expectations of the series to another one of those "slice of life comedies", which would personally result me in completely depending on Anohana as my drama of the season. Hopefully I didn't jinx that too now...
Old 2011-04-17, 14:16   Link #713
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)

That's weird, it's being received negatively here but the sales shot up after this episode.

Spoiler for Amazon Ranking:
Old 2011-04-17, 14:16   Link #714
creaothceann

I very much enjoyed this episode, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
The problem is, of course, that Hana Saku-Iroha isn't a show intended to parody slice of life coming of age dramas.
Hana-Saku Iroha is Hana-Saku Iroha. The problem is people shoehorning two episodes into a genre and then being offended when it dares to differ from their preconceptions of what the show is "supposed" to be.
creaothceann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 14:19   Link #715
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
That's weird, it's being received negatively here but the sales shot up after this episode.

Spoiler for Amazon Ranking:
Well then at the very least I guess should congratulate P.A. Works for pulling off a great commercial stunt. Too bad I'm still butthurt
Old 2011-04-17, 14:27   Link #716
Silverwyrm

I would love an avatar of Nako's eye's wigging out after she hears about the novel

Last edited by Silverwyrm; 2011-04-18 at 03:25.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 14:28   Link #717
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by creaothceann View Post
I very much enjoyed this episode, too.

Hana-Saku Iroha is Hana-Saku Iroha.
A serious drama needs to successfully suspend disbelief, at least for the most part. Episode 3 is not even remotely believable as a part of a serious narrative, imo.

A more comedy-driven show doesn't necessarily need to suspend disbelief, since comedy itself often relies on the absurd.

This is true regardless of what Hana-Saku Iroha is.

Quote:
The problem is people shoehorning two episodes into a genre...
It's not just those two episodes, but also how Hana-Saku Iroha was promoted. The promotions I saw of the show very much gave off a serious True Tears-style drama vibe to me. And I'm far from the only one who saw it that way.
Old 2011-04-17, 14:35   Link #718
Midonin
Last Engage

I wonder why people are so quick to jump to saying anything comedic they find weird in a show they think is serious is a parody/satire. Sometimes, it may be, but many times, things are silly just to be silly. And I'm perfectly okay with that. The world is silly, and people need things that are simply just silly. Silliness makes you laugh, brings a smile to your face. But it seems that, at least from where I'm standing, parody/satire is the only form of comedy that exists for many people. Everything else is either drama or bad. But finding middle ground in fandom in general can be difficult.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 14:35   Link #719
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's not just those two episodes, but also how Hana-Saku Iroha was promoted. The promotions I saw of the show very much gave off a serious True Tears-style drama vibe to me. And I'm far from the only one who saw it that way.
A great point. This was the primary preview that P.A. Works was trying to sell the series' premise as:

Looks like a serious slice of life, coming of age drama to me and not a comedy/parody.
Old 2011-04-17, 14:36   Link #720
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
This is true regardless of what Hana-Saku Iroha is.
Hanasaku Iroha is clearly a romance.

Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, pa works, romance, slice of life