AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-18, 00:07   Link #781
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
...

What...

Okay, tied up... I did not expect that.

Then she advised him on how to tie her up... okay, he pathetically begged her to help inspire him for his story, and Ohana is so eager to please that she went along with it? Not really consistent with her character.

No wait... he actually did kidnap her. Willing Suspension Of Disbelief is shaken...

Oh... he's just so incredibly pathetic that even after tying you up he just doesn't seem like a threat. Foolish Ohana, foolish. The dull knife is more dangerous then a sharp one. Just because he's pathetic doesn't mean he's not dangerous.

I guess I'll put this down to "weird things happen at hot springs", and Ohana being very very stupid (although in a way that does tend to coincide with her character- Ohana tends to be very earnest and impetuous girl who tries to see everyone as a potential friend if she just puts some effort into it.)

Let's move on. Okay, ridiculous chase scene- but not too unrealistic actually.

Oh here we go, the dramatic suicide threat that gets people to forgive him- or at least go easy on his punishment. Kirk Summation time by Ohana. But wait, he jumped! Wow, we get some actual drama. Some Mood Whiplash, but the whole show has been that, I wonder what effect his pathetic death will have on Ohana's character develop...

Oh wait... he's so pathetic he can't even kill himself right, and Nako just happens to be an expert cliff diver and lifeguard. I foresee hot Wet Sari scene coming up... there it is- and the pathetic guy is barfing his guts out in the foreground during the sexy scene! LOL, alright, that was a good one. You got me with that one.

Okay, now Ohana smacks him good and gives him the inspiring second Kirk Summation, and succeeds in Talking The Monster To Death. Oh and lets it slip to the other girls what he was writing about them.

Okay... and so the manager is going to let him work off his debt, instead of having him hauled off to jail.

Yeah...

I've seen this before in a lot of different shows... is it an old Japanese values kind of thing? That as long as a member of the group is still trying to make things right you don't write him off? Even if he is a piece of worthless loser trash?

Something like that?

Sigh...

This is not what I was looking for from this show. I guess if this makes him into the new Butt Monkey of the show... I guess I can overlook it. But the 4th episode sure better get back on the serious character development and not this wacky hi-jink stuff.

PS: Whoever said Ohana is The Pollyanna, kudos to you. In fact I'm beginning to get Pollyanna vibes from the whole show. And like the original Pollyana, Ohana has a bit of Blithe Spirit in her too.

Also, "Sticking is not by strength but by the guiding of the gully" means you don't butcher an animal through brute strength, but by guiding the butcher knife.

Pretty close to "Everything comes in handy when rightly used"
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 01:01   Link #782
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Definitely not as impressive as the first couple of episodes, but it wasn't really bad.

I can understand why some people were disappointed with the episode though.
They set it up to seem like this episode would be more dramatic with the ending of the last episode, so it was quite a surprise when it went the wacky comedy/fan-service route instead of a more dramatic situation.

That said, even I found it odd how easily "forgiven" the guy was. I assume it was because the Grandmother knew exactly how incompetent the guy was and in reality he wasn't capable of seriously harming anyone.

P.S. wet Nako =
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 01:12   Link #783
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
I would love an avatar of Nako's eye's wigging out after he hears about the novel
Done.



faster alternative:

__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 01:12   Link #784
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
I assume it was because the Grandmother knew exactly how incompetent the guy was and in reality he wasn't capable of seriously harming anyone.
Let’s not look down on him too much. He did a pretty good job of “harming” himself, in every way possible.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 01:15   Link #785
Bordix
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Contrary to the episodes' the title this one had plenty of eye-candy.

Found the part where Tooru got ditched by the gang to be the most hilarious, it's like they were all in it together. I can't really blame them though, he's pretty much an asshole at times but that's what I liked about him. Other than that, the rest of the episode felt flat.
__________________
.
Bordix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 01:16   Link #786
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Well, he did completely fail at suicide, the only thing he did well was humiliate himself.

To add to my earlier post, I was also somewhat impressed how that managed to fit in the character development with all the wackiness + fan service.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 01:27   Link #787
creaothceann
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
It's up there with the Mai-HiME panty episode
Yep. And I can't believe that people are complaining about the fun in a funny episode...
creaothceann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 01:54   Link #788
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
That said, even I found it odd how easily "forgiven" the guy was. I assume it was because the Grandmother knew exactly how incompetent the guy was and in reality he wasn't capable of seriously harming anyone.
Until the time he writes creepy porn about underage customers, kidnaps and ties them up.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 02:00   Link #789
paladinenvec
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Well i felt alienated with the sudden changes in this episode from the other ones, the fanservice felt out of place and the second part of the episode was not that funny, at least they didnt' go overboard with the fans service like other series... well... i hope that the next chapters are better...
paladinenvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 02:02   Link #790
Tiberium Wolf
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal
Age: 34
This was a very fun episode. Dunno why everyone complaining of the fan-service when we are in the fan-service age. If you don't want fan-service go watch yuugi-oh or pokemon. They certainly won't have it.
Some ppl said they were tricked by the PV. No they didn't trick you. They were just economical with truth (Crysis 2).

At last we have school scene next week.
__________________
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 02:06   Link #791
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
If you don't want fan-service go watch yuugi-oh or pokemon. They certainly won't have it.
You have never watched either of those shows, clearly.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 02:08   Link #792
Tiberium Wolf
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
You have never watched either of those shows, clearly.
I did watch... but not all of them. If they have my bad then.

Anyway what was shown in this ep in terms of fan-service pretty tame.
__________________
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 02:16   Link #793
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
This was a very fun episode. Dunno why everyone complaining of the fan-service when we are in the fan-service age. If you don't want fan-service go watch yuugi-oh or pokemon. They certainly won't have it.
Some ppl said they were tricked by the PV. No they didn't trick you. They were just economical with truth (Crysis 2).

At last we have school scene next week.
Oh no, God forbid people not like some aspect of a show. But hey, thankfully there's other reasons to watch the show.

Besides, it's not just because there's fanservice. I just thought the fanservice wasn't very good.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 02:32   Link #794
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Very strong episode. Finally, Hana-saku escaped from being done-100time-before-K/J-morning-drama, but became something I can enjoy. This was awesome.
So a ridiculous, out-of-character, fanservice-oriented approach > Hybrid anime + K/J drama approach?

Jeez... of course the former is clearly superior because it's like just like every other slice of life comedy anime out there, and cliche/repetition is clearly better than trying to do something new.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 02:43   Link #795
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In your brain
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
So a ridiculous, out-of-character, fanservice-oriented approach > Hybrid anime + K/J drama approach?

Jeez... of course the former is clearly superior because it's like just like every other slice of life comedy anime out there, and cliche/repetition is clearly better than trying to do something new.
Bolded part was actually my point. Before this episode, it was low level soup opera. I saw this episode as completely destroying the normal cliche we expect from everyday morning drama, but making whole new refreshing atmosphere by crashing slice-of-life cliche from anime and drama expectations. Having much lightened hearted, but chaotic storyline is better than boring boring soup-opera that is completely predictable.

Mixing those two values brings better entertainment, at least for me.
__________________
If anyone attacks Shaft
I will be there to defend it to death.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 02:55   Link #796
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Low level soap opera? Give me a minute.
...
....
.....
No seriously. I can't help but laugh at how ridiculous of a comment that is.

I can understand not having a penchant for those types of stories, but to call the level of writing low level I find to be quite absurd.

What would you name then in anime that has the ability to show case drama well at all then? Name 1 anime that you felt was that superior to it. Unless you think anime can't capture drama well at all. That's fine. But then you're happy when they execute a bunch of boring out of place fan service, break the mood of the series, and incorporate elements that pretty much destroy the dramatic side of this story?

In which case, that would just make it like every other shit stick of an anime out there. Honestly, why the hell would you want that?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 02:56   Link #797
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Bolded part was actually my point. Before this episode, it was low level soup opera. I saw this episode as completely destroying the normal cliche we expect from everyday morning drama, but making whole new refreshing atmosphere by crashing slice-of-life cliche from anime and drama expectations. Having much lightened hearted, but chaotic storyline is better than boring boring soup-opera that is completely predictable.
No. This episode of HanaIro is of a style that is seen plentiful in anime. See Jun Maeda/Key-adaptations for examples. Not saying it's bad. In fact I like it if the show's premise starts off and intends to be like it.

Then why is it automatically bad if a Asian drama like plot is used in anime? Because this is anime, and therefore other entertainment medium elements should never be used? Also, how many times have soap opera like plots been used in anime? I can think of maybe 2 or 3 in the past on top of my head (True Tears, Hanbun no Tsuki Naboru Sora, possibly Honey and Clover) and that's about it. Unless you want to count shojo romances as soap operas, but they are usually too fantasy/idealised forms of romance to be considered a soap-opera.

Also, weren't you the person that praised AnoHana as being vastly superior to HanaIro. That seemed even more soap-operaish yet now you have double standards for this anime. Makes no sense.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 03:05   Link #798
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Also, weren't you the person that praised AnoHana as being vastly superior to HanaIro. That seemed even more soap-operaish yet now you have double standards for this anime. Makes no sense.
Don't ya know? Okada > Okada!!
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 03:20   Link #799
Silverwyrm
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Folsom, CA, USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Done.


Just darling, thanks a lot

Back on topic, I too felt this ep was very off, and a disappointment compared to what i was expecting after the prev. two episodes. Hopefully this isn't a new direction, that was far too cliche and...weird.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 03:23   Link #800
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Well, after some reflection and reading Guardian Enzo's review, I will admit this episode did have one fairly signficantly flaw: too much passing of the idiot ball.

I had no issue with Ohana getting a bit of Stockholm syndrome, I think she honestly thought she could talk her way out of it anyway. The rest of the staff's forgiveness was a bit hard to take. Honestly, they needed to take the writer out of the picture after this episode. Maybe have him come back and beg forgiveness in a few episodes.

I still say the rest of the episode worked well though - Ohana's trails have always been a bit chaotic. And I loved some of the moments in this... the old man's blush, the making pit stops while searching for the stolen truck, etc.

Also, the line "That creeper! I let him off for the sexual harassment because he said he was famous." Just in case you needed any more hints that Tomoe probably reads pulp romance. God I love Tomoe... she could save a lesser show from being a complete write off and yet she's just a minor character here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
That's weird, it's being received negatively here but the sales shot up after this episode.

Spoiler for Amazon Ranking:
Up to #15 now, I think. Hey, the money could go far, far worse places.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, pa works, romance, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.