AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-18, 03:28   Link #801
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I had no issue with Ohana getting a bit of Stockholm syndrome, I think she honestly thought she could talk her way out of it anyway. The rest of the staff's forgiveness was a bit hard to take. Honestly, they needed to take the writer out of the picture after this episode. Maybe have him come back and beg forgiveness in a few episodes.
You know with your post here, you just made me realize what exactly they were going for in this scene.

However, while that makes a bit of more sense in retrospect, I think it reflects very poorly on the execution and the setup that I failed to notice that.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 03:30   Link #802
Tiberium Wolf
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Honestly, they needed to take the writer out of the picture after this episode. Maybe have him come back and beg forgiveness in a few episodes.
He did already beg for forgiveness at the end of ep before the meal. I don't think they need to show more begging.
__________________

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2011-04-18 at 04:20.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 03:32   Link #803
DummyInc
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
nako made me horneh
__________________
DummyInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 03:35   Link #804
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
You know with your post here, you just made me realize what exactly they were going for in this scene.

However, while that makes a bit of more sense in retrospect, I think it reflects very poorly on the execution and the setup that I failed to notice that.
... What did you think was happening?

Though technically, Stockholm syndrome doesn't happen overnight. Mostly, I think he was just so pathetic that even tied up, Ohana still felt more sorry for the poor sob than actually threatened.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 03:39   Link #805
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... What did you think was happening?

Though technically, Stockholm syndrome doesn't happen overnight. Mostly, I think he was just so pathetic that even tied up, Ohana still felt more sorry for the poor sob than actually threatened.
I wasn't thinking much of anything. There was basically almost no time for Ohana to get connected him in the typical setup of a Stockholm Syndrome, and in fact she had multiple opportunities to get help.

If I could simply chalk it up to the quirkiness of Ohana's character I would, but this guy was a real douche bag to her .

That's why I really couldn't understand why anyone in this show even gave a damn about this guy that really was just so unlikable. He wasn't even pitiful because he was such an ass.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 03:42   Link #806
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
You know with your post here, you just made me realize what exactly they were going for in this scene.

However, while that makes a bit of more sense in retrospect, I think it reflects very poorly on the execution and the setup that I failed to notice that.
Initially I thought she was just morbidly curious about what he was writing and why, and I still think that probably played a role. The Stockholm syndrome (or just plain sympathy for the bastard, either works) bit came when I thought about it a bit more. I think her upbringing also gives her a bit of a "go with the flow" nature that played a role here... she only seems to get angry if she stews over things.

Not the first time my opinion of this show has changed after digesting things a bit, as I found episode one had too much to take in for just one viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
He did already beg for forgiveness at the end of ep before the meal. I don't think they need to show for begging.
I'm not saying they should have shown him begging this episode. I'm saying they should have waited a few episodes to reintroduce him and then had the staff be at least a bit apprehensive or reluctant about it.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 03:45   Link #807
Silverwyrm
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Folsom, CA, USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I wasn't thinking much of anything. There was basically almost no time for Ohana to get connected him in the typical setup of a Stockholm Syndrome, and in fact she had multiple opportunities to get help.

If I could simply chalk it up to the quirkiness of Ohana's character I would, but this guy was a real douche bag to her .

That's why I really couldn't understand why anyone in this show even gave a damn about this guy that really was just so unlikable. He wasn't even pitiful because he was such an ass.
I wanna know how he got her to his room without a problem, I doubt he tied her up before then as he was reading a book on how to do it. What bugs me is at the end of EP2 he really sounded...deranged, but that completely vanished in this ep without a trace. The moment we went to his scenes he was more like a gibbering fool.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 03:54   Link #808
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
I wanna know how he got her to his room without a problem, I doubt he tied her up before then as he was reading a book on how to do it. What bugs me is at the end of EP2 he really sounded...deranged, but that completely vanished in this ep without a trace. The moment we went to his scenes he was more like a gibbering fool.
Yeah, he may have a better future at being a magician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Initially I thought she was just morbidly curious about what he was writing and why, and I still think that probably played a role. The Stockholm syndrome (or just plain sympathy for the bastard, either works) bit came when I thought about it a bit more. I think her upbringing also gives her a bit of a "go with the flow" nature that played a role here... she only seems to get angry if she stews over things.
I guess even if I am willing to accept that Ohana may be able to pity him, I don't understand why they expect the audience to pity him.

Really, I have no reason to care at all about the plot of this episode when the main focus of it is so dreadful to watch.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 04:26   Link #809
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
I'm not one who despises comedy into drama, it's all the other way around. But during the episode, I had this increasing feeling that the novelist's arc was going a tad over the top. Even so, I still quite liked the episode on the whole, putting that sense of "overtone" aside.

Yes, because thankfully some details that so far contributed enriching this story weren't omitted at all. The little chats between Nako and Minko, the spinach confrontations between Ohana and Minchi, the part where the granny talks to his deceased husband, with a proud expression in her eyes, for her grand-daughter but also for her own daughter.
However, the detail I liked the most was Ohana reading Minko's diary and finding how hard she's been trying to avoid saying "die". You know, at the beginning of the episode she was peeling some vegetables and at one point she stops and says "oops". I thought because she hadn't been able to cut it in one go. But after rewatching I think the sole reason she became upset is because she said "die!". These are very classy elements, a la Honey & Clover, in their being so apparently subtle yet adding several layers to the characters.

Finally note how the episode title is after Minko, rathen than the novelist.
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 04:39   Link #810
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In your brain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Low level soap opera? Give me a minute.
...
....
.....
No seriously. I can't help but laugh at how ridiculous of a comment that is.

I can understand not having a penchant for those types of stories, but to call the level of writing low level I find to be quite absurd.

What would you name then in anime that has the ability to show case drama well at all then? Name 1 anime that you felt was that superior to it. Unless you think anime can't capture drama well at all. That's fine. But then you're happy when they execute a bunch of boring out of place fan service, break the mood of the series, and incorporate elements that pretty much destroy the dramatic side of this story?

In which case, that would just make it like every other shit stick of an anime out there. Honestly, why the hell would you want that?
Calm down dude, calm down. I really have nothing to reply. But I will say something good; what I liked was its refreshing transition of mood. You didn't like it. That's where opinion matters.

You obviously don't like my word of 'low level', but I clearly meant it. Hana-saku certainly has soup-opera vibe, and definitely not really good one among them, at least for me. Only difference is that this one is animation, and real soup operas are normally live-action. What I'm seeing is not portrayal of drama, I'm seeing the quality of that drama itself that I don't appreciate. That's where opinion matters.

You think fanservice is boring. I liked them due to its pleasant shock that trolls everyone who wanted millions of grandma slap-shot. That's where opinion matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Also, weren't you the person that praised AnoHana as being vastly superior to HanaIro. That seemed even more soap-operaish yet now you have double standards for this anime. Makes no sense.
Well, it makes sense, since it's my opinion. Ano Hana shows much clear premise than HanaIro, that's already plus point. HanaIro, currently, doesn't have a clear theme or direction to focus on. Of course, one of the reason is due to the fact it is 2-cour, but currently, story itself have nothing that is genuinely interesting due to that.

Also, superior direction allows Ano Hana to be superior.
__________________
If anyone attacks Shaft
I will be there to defend it to death.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2011-04-18 at 04:49. Reason: unnecessary remark removed (last sentence)
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 05:05   Link #811
RedWing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
This episode wasn't very good was it? It was clearly shallow water but when they jump in its very deep?
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 05:05   Link #812
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
The reason I found your comment absurd is because you first described it as "low level," then preceded to praise this episode, which IMO, is as low of level as you can go for series in this genre.

If you dislike the show, you dislike it. But if you're going to praise episode 3 while saying the first two episodes were poor, all I can do is raise my eye brow to that.

And btw. Don't make strawmans about me. I never said I dislike fanservice.

Also the narrative of Hanu-Saku Iroha is laid out very clearly... It's a coming of age story where Ohana has to cope with her new lifestyle out in the hot spring Inn. This includes dealing with her family problems (Her mother and Grandmother), making connections with her coworkers who are rather unfriendly to her at the start, and learning the meaning of hard work. In the end, she will have learned better from everyone, but everyone will also change for the better as a result of meeting her.

That's what they're so far trying to present to us. It's not exactly that hard of a story to pick up in what direction they're going.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 05:06   Link #813
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Best part of the episode was Nako showing her skills. Another brilliant episode. Don't know why some people don't like it. I thought it was pretty hilarious.

[edit]

Okay after reading more of the comments it looks like some people considered this episode at shift in tone but it didn't seem like much of shift for me. I would never really call it a serious drama. It definitely has elements of that but I had always thought of it as a light-hearted and fun slice of life right from the start.
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2011-04-18 at 05:40.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 05:15   Link #814
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Okay... uh... first thing's first, I'd be lying if I didn't say that this episode was hilarious at times, and cheesily touching near the end. That said, this really isn't the radical direction shifting I'd have wanted this early in the run. It would be more acceptable and believable maybe a few more episodes in, but having it this early makes the contrast to the previous two episodes a bit jarring.

On the other hand, the episode does manage to prove to me that even if the internal consistency of the episode started to break apart at the seams, a very well written and well characterized main character can prop up the show on their shoulders. While this was practically silly by all accounts considering what the first two episodes showed, Ohana's oddball mix of youthful audacity and her slightly jaded world view managed to save it and show the consistency of her character while everyone else was getting slapped silly by the idiot stick. I think the episode managed to show how much the show will likely be a character driven one as opposed to a plot driven one, and such shows can only succeed if the main character can carry themselves and the rest of the cast no matter what quality of writing the episodes have. From that perspective, this was perhaps an episode that was meant to showcase what Ohana would be capable of no matter what kind of events life throws her way.

For this she was thrown quite the odd pitch, but she managed to hit it out of the park and prove to me why she seems to be more than capable of helming the ship. Again, it makes me affirm my belief that she is perhaps one of the most intriguing and dynamic female characters of recent years, strong enough to carry a show when it is needed.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 06:36   Link #815
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Israel
Age: 18
I'm the only one who waits for OhanaXNakoXMinchi three way?
__________________
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 06:39   Link #816
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
does anyone notices the episode 3 title of it, which is "balut"..
read here: Balut
__________________

HALA MADRID!
Essa Maneira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 06:42   Link #817
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Israel
Age: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essa Maneira View Post
does anyone notices the episode 3 title of it, which is "balut"..
read here: Balut
EWWWWW!! That's disgusting!
__________________
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 06:52   Link #818
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I don't see why. We eat eggs, and we eat chicken. I don't see why we couldn't eat what's in-between.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 06:52   Link #819
liquid-metal
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada
Age: 23
Slice of life show I didn't know about? Must watch as soon as possible!
liquid-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 06:54   Link #820
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't see why. We eat eggs, and we eat chicken. I don't see why we couldn't eat what's in-between.
It's probably because it looks disgusting but I've eaten stuff that looks worse.

I don't know if this was made before but here's a freebie:
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2011-04-18 at 07:23.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, pa works, romance, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.