AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-18, 21:13   Link #241
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

@-Soconfused based on Astonishing X-men after Jean's death.

Another good episode against the U-men. Cyclopes acting like a leader here, yet he still has doubts on Emma after rescuing her and Hisako and yes lol at Logan's like driving a car knowing to break. Iam awaiting more Wolverine and Beast fight action scenes, but seems the next episode will be more talk than action.

And yes Emma Frost and Storm are hot and Hisako is so cute.
Old 2011-04-18, 21:39   Link #242
duckroll
綺羅星★!

It's not based on Astonishing X-men at all. The team line-up is going to be the same, but in terms of story continuity the anime continuity is completely original and stand alone. It has nothing to do with the comics.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 01:44   Link #243
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
that's weird then, kind of a random way to start off the anime if it's not continuing another, if I'm hearing/reading this correctly. unexplained things like why the institute was shut down and storms apparent illness.
Old 2011-04-19, 03:20   Link #244
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
that's weird then, kind of a random way to start off the anime if it's not continuing another, if I'm hearing/reading this correctly. unexplained things like why the institute was shut down and storms apparent illness.
It's not really weird at all. Everything is explained in the show if you pay attention. A year ago there was a battle between the Inner Circle and the X-men, and Jean Grey was killed. After this, the team drifted apart because Cyclops was all emo and shit. After receiving the distress call from Hisako's parents, Professor X summoned the core members back for this rescue mission. Storm has no illness, it seems they're just making up lame excuses to nerf her powers.

The Dark Phoenix Saga is a very famous story arc from the comics, which has been adapted in different ways for each X-men continuity. There is a version of it in the 90s cartoon, there's another version of it for the live action movies, and now there's a new version of it for this anime series. The actual specifics of what happened a year ago are still not explained in the anime so far, other than the climax of the event seen at the start of episode 1. We'll have to keep watching to find out what was really going on behind the scenes, and no doubt Mastermind will likely be the main villain behind the U-men plot in the present day story arc as well.
Old 2011-04-19, 07:32   Link #245
Westlo
Lets be reality

Also killing Jean and using Inner Circle is a good way to get Emma involved as well..... Wonder where they're going to go with Emma in this series....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 07:45   Link #246
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I hope they go into her pants.

Damn, did I say that out loud? Whoops!
Old 2011-04-19, 08:00   Link #247
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Even the original X-men cartoon was in its own separate universe. A universe that was, apparently, annihilated in one of those massive apocalyptic events that happen so often in Marvel. It was so Marvel doesn't have to bring it up ever again. But it is still distressing to know that the cartoon characters are now all dead through no fault of their own.
Old 2011-04-19, 08:44   Link #248
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Really enjoyed episode 2 and 3 so far im liking the story. Its taken me time to adjust the character designs but those i feel are pretty adequate as well. I noticed they made some slight changes to Cyclops's personality and how he and Logan interact.

Now that Emma Frost has been introduced i am very curious to see where they go from here regarding her. As a comic book reader im highly interested to see this direction.

pretty obvious who is behind certain events in the past 3 episodes. Great introduction of the U-men
Old 2011-04-19, 10:12   Link #249
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
It's not really weird at all. Everything is explained in the show if you pay attention. A year ago there was a battle between the Inner Circle and the X-men, and Jean Grey was killed. After this, the team drifted apart because Cyclops was all emo and shit. After receiving the distress call from Hisako's parents, Professor X summoned the core members back for this rescue mission. Storm has no illness, it seems they're just making up lame excuses to nerf her powers.

The Dark Phoenix Saga is a very famous story arc from the comics, which has been adapted in different ways for each X-men continuity. There is a version of it in the 90s cartoon, there's another version of it for the live action movies, and now there's a new version of it for this anime series. The actual specifics of what happened a year ago are still not explained in the anime so far, other than the climax of the event seen at the start of episode 1. We'll have to keep watching to find out what was really going on behind the scenes, and no doubt Mastermind will likely be the main villain behind the U-men plot in the present day story arc as well.
yeah, it was just kind of jarring watching the first episode, I was like "hmmm, I wasn't suppose to watch something before this was I?" But yeah, I guess they'll fill in as they go along.
Old 2011-04-20, 11:27   Link #250
Kallen4life

too bad if they'll have the non-dry-wit-sarcasm version of Emma though .. you know, that 'edge' of hers .. HOT

Spoiler for Emma:
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold

Last edited by Kallen4life; 2011-04-20 at 13:02.
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 23:30   Link #251
delirium
Banned

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the comics.
I understand what you mean to say, but that is too broad of a statement. Either way, yeah. It is actually based off a wide variety of X-Men storylines, but not the stories themselves. Some proof of this is the fact that the U-Men are from the "New X-Men" comic series. A member of the forum said that the only reference material that the anime could feasibly use and be familiar to the Japanese audience would be Claremont's run on X-Men in the early 90s. More proof of this diversity would be Emma Frost's secondary mutation occurring due to protecting Armor from that energy beam, whereas it is caused by the destruction of Genosha in the comics.

The story isn't bad, although plenty of it remains to be seen! I am pleased so far to say the very least.
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 01:44   Link #252
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium View Post
I understand what you mean to say, but that is too broad of a statement. Either way, yeah. It is actually based off a wide variety of X-Men storylines, but not the stories themselves. Some proof of this is the fact that the U-Men are from the "New X-Men" comic series. A member of the forum said that the only reference material that the anime could feasibly use and be familiar to the Japanese audience would be Claremont's run on X-Men in the early 90s. More proof of this diversity would be Emma Frost's secondary mutation occurring due to protecting Armor from that energy beam, whereas it is caused by the destruction of Genosha in the comics.

The story isn't bad, although plenty of it remains to be seen! I am pleased so far to say the very least.
Oh come on, you know what the statement meant. The anime continuity is not in any way related to, or connected to any comic storyline. Saying that the anime is based on Astonishing X-Men is incorrect, because it's not. Instead it's simply based on various elements of the X-men universe from many different series, put together in an original continuity that is completely unrelated to the comic-verse.

For example, in the Iron Man anime, the main storyline used both Zodiac and Yinsen as major plot points. But it is clear that the continuity is not set in any existing comic continuity of Iron Man, nor is it set in the movie universe. The nature of Zodiac, and the origin story, are handled differently from any existing continuity.

In the same way, the U-men in the X-men anime are obviously of a very different nature from what the organization is in the comics. Jake and Todd are completely original characters, and in the comics the U-men never had any affiliation with the Hellfire Club or Mastermind. The true nature behind the Dark Phoenix storyline in the anime is also up in the air, and it is very likely that when they eventually reveal the truth of what happened, that it will contradict the events of the comics significantly.

It would be a mistake to watch the anime expecting that knowledge of the comics can serve as accurate information filling the blanks, when in reality it won't. The anime storyline should be taken on its own, and enjoyed for what it is as a stand alone continuity. That's what I'm trying to say.
Old 2011-04-21, 03:58   Link #253
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Do I smell yuri in this scene? O_o

Old 2011-04-21, 04:41   Link #254
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
too bad if they'll have the non-dry-wit-sarcasm version of Emma though .. you know, that 'edge' of hers .. HOT
Emma lost her edge
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 05:15   Link #255
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Yes, there's a massive amount of Emma x Hisako shipping going on in ep3. Hopefully it continues!
Old 2011-04-21, 07:57   Link #256
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Oh come on, you know what the statement meant.

Quote:
I understand what you mean to say
Quote:
Instead it's simply based on various elements of the X-men universe from many different series, put together in an original continuity that is completely unrelated to the comic-verse.
Yep, I believe I said that in my previous reply to this thread.

Quote:
Either way, yeah. It is actually based off a wide variety of X-Men storylines, but not the stories themselves.
Quote:
It would be a mistake to watch the anime expecting that knowledge of the comics can serve as accurate information filling the blanks, when in reality it won't. The anime storyline should be taken on its own, and enjoyed for what it is as a stand alone continuity. That's what I'm trying to say.
It certainly would be a mistake! Everyone who is a comic fan knows not to take things they see as canon right off the bat. I've also said the anime storyline is going to be separate from the mainstream Marvel universe. I hope you will assume in the future that those talking about characters or events from the mainstream Marvel universe know that this anime is standalone storyline and not a direct adaption of any single story as I've been noting in this thread since the first episode aired.

Be cool, be cool like Charlie Sheen.
Old 2011-04-21, 08:07   Link #257
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

Yep, I believe I said that in my previous reply to this thread.

It certainly would be a mistake! Everyone who is a comic fan knows not to take things they see as canon right off the bat. I've also said the anime storyline is going to be separate from the mainstream Marvel universe. I hope you will assume in the future that those talking about characters or events from the mainstream Marvel universe know that this anime is standalone storyline and not a direct adaption of any single story as I've been noting in this thread since the first episode aired.

Be cool, be cool like Charlie Sheen.
Don't be so quick to dismiss the anime as non-canon.

Remember that the original X-men cartoon was given its own Earth in the Marvel multi-verse, that of Earth-92131:
http://marvel.wikia.com/Earth-92131
So for all intent and purposes the anime X-men can be canon too. They would just be separate characters to the comic X-men.
Old 2011-04-21, 08:08   Link #258
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

Remember that the original X-men cartoon was given its own Earth in the Marvel multi-verse, that of Earth-92131:
So for all intent and purposes the anime X-men can be canon too. They would just be separate characters to the comic X-men.
Non-canon to the mainstream Marvel Universe. that being Earth-616, lololololol. You can also assume people are referring to the primary universe in which most Marvel comic titles are written into. In the case of this anime, it wouldn't and shouldn't be considered canon to the Earth-616(Mainstream universe, most of the comics you read by Marvel are in the 616 universe).
Old 2011-04-21, 08:21   Link #259
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Non-canon to the mainstream Marvel Universe. that being Earth-616, lololololol. You can also assume people are referring to the primary universe in which most Marvel comic titles are written into. In the case of this anime, it wouldn't and shouldn't be considered canon to the Earth-616(Mainstream universe, most of the comics you read by Marvel are in the 616 universe).
There is nothing to argue anyway. I don't think the 616 Earth was ever used anywhere BUT the comics. Marvel was never in the habit of treating the animated shows as anything more than extra revenue streams. Trying to make the animated shows canon to the current comic stories is too much work.

Not least because the Western cartoons are always kiddified. They couldn't make cartoons canon to Earth 616 without losing the G rating.
Old 2011-04-21, 08:25   Link #260
Funkatron
King of the Castle

Send a message via Skype™ to Funkatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

wasn't that universe subsequently foobared afterwards?
Funkatron is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
madhouse, marvel, x-men