AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-21, 20:02   Link #1
Archangel Roy
Nandaiyo
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waianae, HI
What if God was a woman?

Or does he have a gender at all?
__________________

Last edited by Archangel Roy; 2011-04-22 at 14:27. Reason: Re-phrasing my question
Archangel Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 20:05   Link #2
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Roy View Post
I've been pondering upon this question for weeks. How would the world be like?
God is neither male nor female. God is likened to a Father figure in the western religions because it is a male dominated world. So the question is, if it were a female dominated world, how would the concept of God (or should I say Goddess) be different, and thus, how would the world be different?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 20:09   Link #3
Archangel Roy
Nandaiyo
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waianae, HI
Well, it was said that "God made man in his own image" I assumed he was male. But, I don't know. I was just wondering, is all.
__________________
Archangel Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 20:11   Link #4
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
He or she likely has a sense of humor.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 20:15   Link #5
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Roy View Post
Well, it was said that "God made man in his own image" I assumed he was male. But, I don't know. I was just wondering, is all.
I wouldn't take that literally. Probably means giving humans his likeness in another sense, such as giving all humans a spiritual self that is compassionate and loving, and so forth. That is what I've heard as some interpretations, and that is how I view it. Plenty of things in the Bible that aren't meant to be taken literally, but unfortunately, are. That is my 2 cents.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 20:16   Link #6
Archangel Roy
Nandaiyo
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waianae, HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I wouldn't take that literally. Probably means giving humans his likeness in another sense, such as giving all humans a spiritual self that is compassionate and loving, and so forth. That is what I've heard as some interpretations, and that is how I view it. Plenty of things in the Bible that aren't meant to be taken literally, but unfortunately, are. That is my 2 cents.
Ah I see, I see. That makes sense.
__________________
Archangel Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 20:23   Link #7
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: England UK
If there is a life-form out there that has God like powers, then it could be anything it wants as befitting a God.

Therefore... I could be God or you could be it, maybe that Dog or even that Tree or an planet, anything.

It's a God... need to say more?
__________________
IronWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 20:43   Link #8
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
If God is both capable of being a man and a woman...

Selfcest?
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 20:59   Link #9
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
If God is both capable of being a man and a woman...

Selfcest?
It's called being a hermaphrodite.
__________________
Asuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 21:01   Link #10
delirium
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Abstract Side of Reality
Age: 25
Haha, this is such an absurd question to pose! I am not a believer, and yet I am compelled to respond. To say that God is either male or female is foolhardy. How can be so naive as to affix a gender to such a concept? That is all God is for us right now, a concept. Neither male or female, but an idea. The male ego associated God with masculinity, but how much weight does that really hold? That a God would have a sexuality at all. It's workings would be beyond our comprehension. You must remember that we have lived in a male-dominated world for so long that it has polluted everything we hold dear to us. I believe that is proof enough that it is pointless to affix gender onto the concept of God.

But hey, whatever makes you feel better while you're saying your prayers before bed.
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 21:14   Link #11
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, considering it was written from a male perspective, the bias is clear.

Of course, the nature of such a supernatural entity is beyond our comprehension, thus this question just isn't relevant. Basically, there's just no "if" about something that is uncertain.

But I'll humor the thread with an answer: Exactly the same
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 21:17   Link #12
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Quote:
2.8 Avoid flammable and cyclic topics

Please be aware that political and religious discussions often cause very heated debates with little give or take on either side. They normally start out interesting and sensible but degrade rapidly. This produces the same arguments repeatedly for pages and induces many members to start "flaming" each other. Such topics will most likely be closed unless care is taken to keep the thread both interesting and polite. Similar discussions, concerning the illegality of fansubs and licensing debates, may also be treated in this way.
Copy/paste from the forum rules.
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 21:47   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Roy View Post
Well, it was said that "God made man in his own image" I assumed he was male. But, I don't know. I was just wondering, is all.
You're reading from one particular male-oriented (patriarchal) religious text (which has undergone many translations and rewritings). There are any number of creation myths that postulate one or more gods of either sex (or neither sex) being involved. There's some archeology research that implies many early religions were female-oriented. And, of course, the J-C-I Abrahamic faiths are just one subset of the world's religions.

Here's a start point for exploring religions of the world and through history: http://www.religioustolerance.org/

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-04-21 at 23:17.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:11   Link #14
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
God is actually Alanis Morisette.

__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:25   Link #15
iLney
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Would be great! a boner while "worshiping"
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:30   Link #16
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You're reading from one particular male-oriented (patriarchal) religious text (which has undergone many translations and rewritings). There are any number of creation myths that postulate one or more gods of either sex (or neither sex) being involved. There's some archeology research that implies many early religions were female-oriented. And, of course, the J-C-I Abrahamic faiths are just one subset of the world's religions.

Here's a start point for exploring religions of the world and through history: http://www.religioustolerance.org/
Agreed.
Allow me to add to Vexx's point that one of the greatest sages of the Judaic religion (Moses Maimonides) states very clearly in his book The Guide for the Perplexed that God is neither male nor female and is not anthropomorphic according to the Hebrew religion: thus the Hebrew God is an IT.

Of course if God were a woman...that would explain the mood swings in the old testament.

I mean the text says one day to God is equal to 1000 years...and the Mayan's thought that every 26,000 years things get nasty....I mean, I'm just say'n.

I know, I should be beaten with a stick...severely.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:40   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Agreed.
Allow me to add to Vexx's point that one of the greatest sages of the Judaic religion (Moses Maimonides) states very clearly in his book The Guide for the Perplexed that God is neither male nor female and is not anthropomorphic according to the Hebrew religion: thus the Hebrew God is an IT.
Interestingly, if one reads the oldest versions of biblical fragments where they attempt to describe angels or God.... the descriptions are clearly very non-human, exotic, an entirely alien experience for them.

Imagine a biblical description (near stone age, agrarian or nomadic people) of a helicopter or a dragster. Whether you're a skeptic, non-believer, or avid believer - its interesting stuff. Not enough so-called christians actually *read* the book they wave around or study the history of their religion.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:43   Link #18
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
I think that God's appearance is incomprehensible for human understanding, trying to figurate out his genre is quite senseless.
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:46   Link #19
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Interestingly, if one reads the oldest versions of biblical fragments where they attempt to describe angels or God.... the descriptions are clearly very non-human, exotic, an entirely alien experience for them.

Imagine a biblical description (near stone age, agrarian or nomadic people) of a helicopter or a dragster. Whether you're a skeptic, non-believer, or avid believer - its interesting stuff. Not enough so-called christians actually *read* the book they wave around or study the history of their religion.
Good points.
I'm a firm believer in the idea that all "myth" or "legends" are based in fact.
What those actual facts are is a matter of debate.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 00:00   Link #20
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Copy/paste from the forum rules.
I can bold stuff too.

Quote:
Such topics will most likely be closed unless care is taken to keep the thread both interesting and polite.
On topic: Imo, if God was a woman, the world would be a better place. Scientifically speaking however, gender is irrelevant to God. Yes. I used science to support religion. I so went there.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
god

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.