AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-23, 22:28   Link #1
JackALope044
A Dude

For 707 members online currently...

... there sure isn't a lot of posts going on.

I was just curious as to the apparent detachment between users online and post numbers.

Not criticizing the lack of post activity. I can deal with that no problem.

It just seems strange that we have hundreds of people online at a time and so few posts.

I was wondering if there was some reason. Like maybe the "Users Online" thing is broken and registers more than there actually are, or something?
Old 2011-04-24, 00:33   Link #2
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
First you realize people might spend more time reading than posting on a forum like this, right?; as I know I don't response to near every thread I read.

And second you realize that posting is scatter across numerous forums, and subforums and thousands of thread threads, thus it's hard to judge how active a user is currently unless you're looking at everything .

And third probably some people like me don't close the tab/browser if they step away from the computer[or go to watch anime, play a computer game, or etc] which leaves marked as "online user" which is what the individually done per user "Last Activity: xx:xx time, xx:xx date" thing is useful for.

I hope this helps explain things some.

Last edited by Konakaga; 2011-04-24 at 01:29.
Old 2011-04-24, 01:15   Link #3
Dr. Casey

And, of course, the majority of those users are guests; right now there's 561 guests, but only 163 members (A ratio of about 85:15).
Old 2011-04-24, 01:20   Link #4
Stealthtank

Yes, Dr. Casey and Konakuga are right on. I think it's pretty much par for the course to not have the number of users correlate with the amount of posting in a public forum like this.
Old 2011-04-24, 06:11   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Even among members, the "80/20 rule" often applies, meaning 20% of the members generate 80% of the posts and vice versa. This is especially true in series threads where a small contingent of talkative fans can be responsible for much of the traffic in a thread. The Madoka Magica episode threads are good examples.
Old 2011-04-24, 06:22   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

100% of posts are made by 10% of users. Meaning, itís irrelevant how many people are online. I use the contacts highlighted theme and have the good posters as contacts; that way I can tell if the board is really active or not. Sometimes there might be a good number of people online but nobody that really posts anything worth reading (meaning few red names in the listing). So yeah, numbers donít count for much.

Old 2011-04-24, 09:59   Link #7
JackALope044
A Dude

Well, that all certainly makes a lot of sense.

Thanks, guys.
Closed Thread