AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-24, 14:51   Link #901
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Where you live... the question is, do you see me?
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
As for the romance, well, personally I don’t buy one bit into “Tohru is some caring bastard in disguise”, yeah right! fat chance.
But Minchi said it... so it has to be true!

Perhaps now, Tohru is an uncaring bastard. But Ohana seems to have already changed Minko and Nako's personalities; I believe she can do the same to everyone else at the inn. Tohru might have some reasons for being so cruel and anti-social (most mean characters have their tragic backstories). Give him a chance to explain himself in the upcoming episodes.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 14:51   Link #902
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
They are both right, acceptable ways of representing double vowels (there's even another one where they put a tilde above the vowel to indicate it's double). they are just switching between different romanization systems, which in itself is bad form I guess.
Not exactly Tooru* and Kou/Kō are 1-1, while Tohru/Koh and Toru/Ko are attempts at phonetic equivalents, ignoring the whole incontestably problem. Also being native a language that is butchered in transliteration, I am somewhat sensitive with this subject.

* I think I did explain some pages back that Touru/Tōru is different from Tooru
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 14:52   Link #903
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
This isn't the only show this season that has an issue with someone named Tōru/Tohru/Tooru.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 14:53   Link #904
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I dunno, I never took Tohru's harshness seriously. It seemed like he was trying to stir up a conversation whenever he talked to Ohana.

Anyway, I'm glad that Ko hasn't been forgotten.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 14:54   Link #905
JackALope044
A Dude
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fairfield, California
Age: 22
Well that's certainly an interesting turn of events at the end of today's episode.

Spoiler for Hanasaku Iroha EP4:
JackALope044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 15:03   Link #906
FlavoryFantasy
┬──┬╯︵ /(.□. \)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 20
Spoiler for HanaSaku 4:

Grandma-Inn managers sure do look mean in this show lol.
__________________
Ava/Sig - TheEroKing
FlavoryFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 15:05   Link #907
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Tohru might have some reasons for being so cruel and anti-social (most mean characters have their tragic backstories).
Do you find Tohru on a such a level of cruelness and anti-sociality already? He's certainly cold and quite grumpy, but I think it's still early to say he's mean to the core. Minchi talks about him with the eyes of love, we (audience) see him all the other way around, through Ohana.
I think both descriptions are used by the authors as a decoy, and as it often happens, the truth will be somewhere in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
This isn't the only show this season that has an issue with someone named Tōru/Tohru/Tooru.
The main difference to me is that while in A Channel I do know the correct name is Tooru, here I find more difficulties orienteering (although I don't deny I like "Tohru" more, the same can be said for "Kou" over "Ko")
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 15:22   Link #908
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Perhaps now, Tohru is an uncaring bastard. But Ohana seems to have already changed Minko and Nako's personalities; I believe she can do the same to everyone else at the inn. Tohru might have some reasons for being so cruel and anti-social (most mean characters have their tragic backstories). Give him a chance to explain himself in the upcoming episodes.
He’s not really anti-social. For some people that kind of attitude is the norm (ie. you speak your mind if you thing shit is fucked up). Depends from what social circles you come from, or frequent. Note, he’s not pushing people away, just being a hardass (ie. “do what it takes”). Anyway, all I hope for is that he better not have some dere side, or get some personality change.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 15:39   Link #909
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Age: 23
Spoiler for I thought it was kind of obvious:
.x.crii.x. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 15:41   Link #910
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
The main difference to me is that while in A Channel I do know the correct name is Tooru, here I find more difficulties orienteering (although I don't deny I like "Tohru" more, the same can be said for "Kou" over "Ko")
Just checked, it is indeed Tooru

As I said, of course, it is a matter of preference/ease-of-use versus exactness/correctness

That's the issue when it comes to selling, you have to appeal to the greater audience, whether you're butchering sub/dubs or not
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 15:57   Link #911
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a cruel yet beautiful world
Age: 23
Interesting episode. Learned a lot about Tohru and Minko I didn't really expect. Well, I knew that deep down, Tohru truly meant well (what he says just comes off in a sharp tone). But I didn't know that Minko saw him a being THAT sincere. Also, just the prospect of Minko having a crush is ridiculously cute. When she blushed as he touched her hands, I was squeeing on the inside. :P

I also like that despite being from the "rival" inn, Yuina isn't a typical bitchy character. She's actually very spunky and friendly (for now?). I like that about her. But oh my, Yuina hopping on the bike with Tohru... Could this just be another misunderstanding, something serious?

The plot thickens!
__________________
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 16:17   Link #912
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Fun to watch Mamiko Noto play that sempai with barely any trace of that voice she's known for. Somehow this episode had a bit of a K-on feel to it ^_^
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 16:29   Link #913
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Where you live... the question is, do you see me?
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Do you find Tohru on a such a level of cruelness and anti-sociality already? He's certainly cold and quite grumpy, but I think it's still early to say he's mean to the core. Minchi talks about him with the eyes of love, we (audience) see him all the other way around, through Ohana.
I think both descriptions are used by the authors as a decoy, and as it often happens, the truth will be somewhere in the middle.
Cruel is too strong of a word (and I used it first) but everything the viewers see Tohru say is either an insult or a reprimand. He manages to call Ohana naive, underdeveloped, and strange all in one conversation. Tohru doesn't seem to care about other people's feelings. But no, I don't think he's rotten from the inside.

I think we can accept part of Minko's description - the part about Tohru having a sharp tongue. The part we're unsure about is whether Tohru is a nice guy underneath his tough exterior. So far, there is little evidence to suggest so. I would be disappointed if Tohru falls into the traditional cliche of "not understanding how to express his true feelings in a nice and pleasant manner" because I enjoy the abrasive way Tohru talks. It makes the interactions between him, Ohana, and Minko more interesting.

Tohru's current personality isn't so much a decoy as the starting point by which Tohru can only improve from. I don't think it's so clear-cut as "Tohru's mean now, but he's actually neither mean or kind." Instead, he's probably going to make visible progress toward being a nice person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
He’s not really anti-social. For some people that kind of attitude is the norm (ie. you speak your mind if you thing shit is fucked up). Depends from what social circles you come from, or frequent. Note, he’s not pushing people away, just being a hardass (ie. “do what it takes”). Anyway, all I hope for is that he better not have some dere side, or get some personality change.
Prepare to be disappointed... I don't think any character will come out of this anime without significant changes to their personality. Even Ohana's harsh grandmother is going to be defrosted; we already saw some signs of empathy in episode 3.

I would consider Tohru anti-social. He doesn't seem to have any interest in being friends with Ohana or Minko. Again, this assumes he avoids the cliche of being unable to express himself nicely.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 16:37   Link #914
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
Spoiler for ep 4:
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 17:04   Link #915
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Prepare to be disappointed... I don't think any character will come out of this anime without significant changes to their personality. Even Ohana's harsh grandmother is going to be defrosted; we already saw some signs of empathy in episode 3.
Defrosting is fine. Change is fine. What I don’t want is gimmicky complete personality rewrites. That would be just lame. To phrase it another way, I would be fine with seeing the current Thoru showing more respect, but having Thoru do a 180 personality turn just so the so called “respect” would come as a consequence would just be cheap. I want to see the respect, happiness and everything earned, not just happen because of some random event or personality flip. It’s all in the execution for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Spoiler for ep 4:
Statistically and logically speaking, no. There is no evidence to support the notion of all (or even a majority) acting as such. However this is a common theme in manga and anime; just like school uniforms and other details.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 17:17   Link #916
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: A place where the stars cross.
Age: 22
Well I wasn't surprised when it was revealed Minko liked Tohru (I immediately thought so since episode 1), but the new girl Yuina might have some sort of relationship with Tohru?!? I didn't expect that. And the grey heron was pretty funny. Ohana is so scared of it when it probably just wants her to be its friend
__________________
Riga92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 17:23   Link #917
paladinenvec
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Spoiler for Episode 4:
paladinenvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 17:25   Link #918
FireChick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Wow! This episode was amazing! I loved every minute of it.

Spoiler:
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 17:29   Link #919
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
If the show continues what it did in episode four, I can just pretend episode three never happened.
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 17:36   Link #920
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinenvec View Post
Spoiler for Episode 4:
Spoiler for Episode 4:
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.