AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Infinite Stratos

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-25, 06:23   Link #1001
Masuzu
« 勝利のため »
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: « キセキの世代 »
Quote:
perhaps, he noticed a blurred reflection of his own-self into her eyes, and thought: "who the hell is that? aah, whatever... I feel strangely attracted to it.."
perhaps you're not too far off

considering

he seemed to be more attracted to charles

rather than

charlotte
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 06:35   Link #1002
zeroknight03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
The whole "Houki being an S rank like the first pilot Chifuyu" seems to be a pretty big plot point/mystery that would lead to the revealing of some of the secrets of IS so it'd be fair to not expect it to get resolved quickly. Let's give the author a few more volumes to explain on whether Tabane just used magic on Houki to make her potentially one of the best or if Houki was already that way at the start.

Personally, the events are still acceptable since it was just about aptitude. Aptitude entrance exam scores can be easily hacked/rigged and people can have average skill levels (from lack of experience like Houki) while still having a high aptitude (if by aptitude we mean the highest potential level you can reach + ability to improve quickly).

And just to be sure, she was just talking about aptitude right? Because I would agree that it'd be really messed up if Tatenashi was talking about actual skill level (that Houki at that moment in time suddenly became one of the best pilots on par with Tatenashi after a little modification from Tabane).

And out of curiousity, what was the context when Tatenashi said it's impossible for Houki to raise her aptitude from C to an S? I'm sure she can know someone's previous aptitude by looking at the school records but how did she know Houki suddenly became an S at that moment?

Did she just use a scanner which told her so or was it just from a gut feel like "Based on the skills she just showed and how fast she's improving from when I last saw her fight, she has to be at least an S rank"? Was it done just after she showed off her new move or was it done after the battle and Tatenashi's in some computer room examining Houki's data?
zeroknight03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 07:23   Link #1003
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
She just use a scanner to do a check after she trained together with Houki. She give her advice to do it because Tatenashi's going to pair up with Houki, and she said that everyone should do a physical check once in a while to make the IS tuning suit the pilot even better.

The context when Tatenashi said it's impossible is because there's never been such a case before. Aptitude is decided from birth, and although it's possible to increase it through training, there's never been a person who manage to go up that many level.

One thing I don't like about this deus ex machina explanation is one deus will lead to another

Houki's not good enough in IS -> change her aptitude to S(already done)
Houki not good enough at long range -> give her new hax long range weapon out of nowhere(already done)
Houki can't break through AIC -> give her new AIC breaking weapon
Houki's not as good as nano-machine using IS -> give her a new nano-machine weapon or nano machine jammer
The reason for all that? A certain genius inventor wants her to have it

I sure as hell wouldn't want to see these kind of power up happen to Houki or Ichika or anyone else in that matter. Give them the potential to grow(already done by giving Houki 4th Gen IS and Ichika a one-hit-kill weapon) and let them grow themselves by thinking how to make use of that potential damn it. Don't hand them the power-up just like that.

Anyway, I'm home already, will do the summary continuation soon.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 07:56   Link #1004
justpassingby
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Age: 28
Houki's not good enough in IS -> change her aptitude to S(already done)
She and Rin were the only person to break Silverio Gospel's wings in vol 03 IIRC before it went 2nd Shift

Houki not good enough at long range -> give her new hax long range weapon out of nowhere(already done)
She already has Amadzuki (close range) and Karaware (middle range). Ugachi (long range) was initiated when the computer deemed Houki has reached certain battle experience (may be training battle using those 2 swords included), it doesn't mean she's suddenly good at long range. And every one else has long range, so why not her. Houki only took a Golem's left arm

Houki can't break through AIC -> give her new AIC breaking weapon
Houki's not as good as nano-machine using IS -> give her a new nano-machine weapon or nano machine jammer

I'm too tired too find the pages. So hint?

It perplexes me how you can cut some slack for the author for not explaining the battle sequence (which should be explained in the same book), but mad at him for not explaining the aptitude, where he can do it later.
Also, did you count the number of training that Houki and other students undergo? I don't . Because we can just imagine it and doesn't have to be shown in the book, right

Edit: Let me tell you what I think about this power ups that Houki being getting. It may be Yumizuru last attempt to make Houki looks good, before giving her bad ends. Why do you think her confession attempts always met with failure, and what's with the dream of meeting a prince on a horse? Savvy?
__________________
一生 忘れられないよ ずっとずっと 大事な贈り物
一生 忘れられないよ きっときっと こいつは宝物

Last edited by justpassingby; 2011-04-25 at 08:53.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 08:02   Link #1005
zeroknight03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
She just use a scanner to do a check after she trained together with Houki. She give her advice to do it because Tatenashi's going to pair up with Houki, and she said that everyone should do a physical check once in a while to make the IS tuning suit the pilot even better.
Why does this sound to me like Houki never even did a check up on herself after she got her entrance exam results? Did we ever get an event where the girls (primarily Houki) had a check up done? Well, it makes sense for her not to go for check ups considering that Houki wasn't even that enthusiastic about using IS since recently.

If Houki hasn't had a check up in between the entrance exam results and Tatenashi's recent discovery, this makes me even more suspicious that the entrance ranking was faked and that she was originally an S rank (of course, just a speculation). If there was a check up in between, then the idea that Tabane modified Houki is more viable.

And thanks for the spoilers. Much appreciated.
zeroknight03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 09:59   Link #1006
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Houki's not good enough in IS -> change her aptitude to S(already done)
She and Rin were the only person to break Silverio Gospel's wings in vol 03 IIRC before it went 2nd Shift
Yet it was stated in vol 5 that she was the least skillful in piloting IS compared to the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Houki not good enough at long range -> give her new hax long range weapon out of nowhere(already done)
She already has Amadzuki (close range) and Karaware (middle range). Ugachi (long range) was initiated when the computer deemed Houki has reached certain battle experience (may be training battle using those 2 swords included), it doesn't mean she's suddenly good at long range. And every one else has long range, so why not her. Houki only took a Golem's left arm
Again, not a matter of whether she got the weapon or not, but how she got it. Not to mention that the weapon is very strong which make her have great short, middle, and long range weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Houki can't break through AIC -> give her new AIC breaking weapon
Houki's not as good as nano-machine using IS -> give her a new nano-machine weapon or nano machine jammer

I'm too tired too find the pages. So hint?
This one is just my fear of what the author will do. Not that it will happen for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
It perplexes me how you can cut some slack for the author for not explaining the battle sequence (which should be explained in the same book), but mad at him for not explaining the aptitude, where he can do it later.
Also, did you count the number of training that Houki and other students undergo? I don't . Because we can just imagine it and doesn't have to be shown in the book, right
Author not explaining the battle sequence is a problem with author's approach in storytelling, but sudden increase in ability is a a problem with plot device. In this series we already have a character who already close enough to be called a god in the world(Tabane) so falling into overusing deus ex machina plot device as an explanation for a power-up is very easy for the author to do. I'm not exactly mad at the author(would I still give summary if I was mad at the author ), I just think that once he touches plot device like that, he will be in danger of using it over and over again(think about Bleach and the author's overuse of powering-up through training). Which is why I want this to be resolved sooner than later so at least I know that the author already have an explanation whenever he uses something similar like this.

I'm pretty sure Houki trains a lot(it was even mentioned that she trained with Ichika a lot since she acquired Aka-tsubaki although before she manage to activate Kenran Butou at will it was more or less a draw), but we don't really see the other acquire such power up right? What's more, even one of the character said that it's almost impossible to get that kind of aptitude power up looking at past graduate who I'm sure already trained much more compared to her in less than 1 year, which means unlike the golem event where we're not told of what happened at all, here we get told implicitly instead that normal training is unable to upgrade aptitude like that. If she need to get that hax power-up, it will have to be through a major event or special training that's being told or at least mentioned in the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Edit: Let me tell you what I think about this power ups that Houki being getting. It may be Yumizuru last attempt to make Houki looks good, before giving her bad ends. Why do you think her confession attempts always met with failure, and what's with the dream of meeting a prince on a horse? Savvy?
That's what I first think too. I even think Houki will be the last boss to beat . It's not a matter of Houki for me, it's a matter of the plot device the author use to power her up. Even if Tatenashi(my fav character so far) suddenly get a power-up this way(probably from Russia's military or from the academy's headmaster), I will still complain about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroknight03 View Post
Why does this sound to me like Houki never even did a check up on herself after she got her entrance exam results? Did we ever get an event where the girls (primarily Houki) had a check up done? Well, it makes sense for her not to go for check ups considering that Houki wasn't even that enthusiastic about using IS since recently.

If Houki hasn't had a check up in between the entrance exam results and Tatenashi's recent discovery, this makes me even more suspicious that the entrance ranking was faked and that she was originally an S rank (of course, just a speculation). If there was a check up in between, then the idea that Tabane modified Houki is more viable.

And thanks for the spoilers. Much appreciated.
It's implied that way. She never bother to renew her physical data it seems.

Anyway, that was just a long rant from me since I invested so much time translating this series and was made disappointed with the latest development. Just think of it as someone who do research for something for so many times and doesn't get the result that he expects I'm really sorry if my point is getting repetitive and annoyed some people, especially justpassingby *bowed*. I enjoyed the debate though . I'm going to hold commenting about my qualms with this series until next vol come out, unless somebody else wants me to(which I doubt)

Now to fulfill my promise, next part of vol 7 summary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post

Spoiler for vol 7 chapter 1 summary:



Spoiler for vol 7 chapter 1 summary continued:
Spoiler for chapter 2 part 1:


Well, that's all for today. Sorry for only continuing a little. Will continue more tomorrow. For people only waiting for the summary, sorry for the long post *bows*
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 10:37   Link #1007
Masuzu
« 勝利のため »
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: « キセキの世代 »
Quote:
Well, that's all for today. Sorry for only continuing a little. Will continue more tomorrow. For people only waiting for the summary, sorry for the long post *bows*
your summaries rock

much appreciated

on another note

i think the reason i'm not disappointed with the "recent events" is because

i am so obviously a houki fan

it blinds meehh
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 17:53   Link #1008
justpassingby
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
I enjoyed the debate though
It wasn't much a debate though, when your arguments only assume the worst
__________________
一生 忘れられないよ ずっとずっと 大事な贈り物
一生 忘れられないよ きっときっと こいつは宝物
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 20:31   Link #1009
n0m@n
Thanks Patchy for avatar!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Age: 91
I wouldnt mind if the enemy were powered up to the max, so the battle would be more intense and harder for the main characters. But now it seems like there are no villains who can beat Houki/ on 1 on 1, so it loses the seriousness. Also i thought it was mecha/harem series but now its going to look like mecha/romance since it is focusing on Houki.
n0m@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 20:57   Link #1010
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
It wasn't much a debate though, when your arguments only assume the worst
Eh? But wasn't that the point of a debate? to talk about people's different point of view? I was looking on Houki's power up by assuming the worst, but on the battle part I assume the best instead I always give a part of the text to back my point up too right? Or, at least I think so

Anyway, like I said, it was just a rant from the feeling I get after reading about Houki's power-up. Without much thing to go on from the lack of material right now, I won't debate much further I guess when later in the volume Houki keep getting power-up like this, I can just say "Sigh, it's just like what I predicted", and when she doesn't I can always just say "Ooh, looks like I was wrong. I'm glad as a follower of the series though"
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 21:07   Link #1011
justpassingby
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Age: 28
^
Regarding Houki's upgrades:
- My best: Rigged exam (I bet many people saw this as plausible); Houki is genius in hardworking so that's why she is rewarded;
- My worst: Author needs to tell who's the main heroine, and wants to give her bad/bitter end

- Your best: Nothing
- Your worst: Everything

Regarding the battle
- My best: Nothing; because there was nothing

Your best: Needs to imagine, and give the author the chance
Your worst: Uhh, nothing
__________________
一生 忘れられないよ ずっとずっと 大事な贈り物
一生 忘れられないよ きっときっと こいつは宝物
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 21:18   Link #1012
Flere821
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
About Houki's aptitude thing, how is the aptitude measured again? Since if it's something to do with the bond between IS personal machine and user, than I have a idea:

Spoiler for idea:
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 21:25   Link #1013
FreedmAngl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
@justpassingby cryptic much?

@kuroi yes the authour is giving houki hax power ups and i dun like it either
FreedmAngl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 21:28   Link #1014
Javiersansano
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
About Houki's aptitude thing, how is the aptitude measured again? Since if it's something to do with the bond between IS personal machine and user, than I have a idea:

Spoiler for idea:
Then, you are saying that the IS that was plantd by Tabane in the Entry Exam where the whole mess began, also had the White Knight Core?

Spoiler for about Houki:
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 21:46   Link #1015
justpassingby
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0m@n View Post
I wouldnt mind if the enemy were powered up to the max, so the battle would be more intense and harder for the main characters. But now it seems like there are no villains who can beat Houki/ on 1 on 1, so it loses the seriousness. Also i thought it was mecha/harem series but now its going to look like mecha/romance since it is focusing on Houki.
Come again? She probably can sweep unmanned ISes by herself, but I doubt if she can win against Squall, Autumn, Madoka or even Kuu-chan at this time. Although I'm expecting Houki to take her place beside Tabane as her new apprentice and join the Phantom Task (speculation :P, and there need to be Original 7)

Also, one of the reason I pitied Houki is because she has the lamest name (Broom) while her sister is 'Control'.

Just saying...
__________________
一生 忘れられないよ ずっとずっと 大事な贈り物
一生 忘れられないよ きっときっと こいつは宝物
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 22:02   Link #1016
Javiersansano
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chile
Is tabane really part of phantom task?
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 22:14   Link #1017
justpassingby
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Age: 28
Like I said, speculation.
Spoiler for Hotel:
__________________
一生 忘れられないよ ずっとずっと 大事な贈り物
一生 忘れられないよ きっときっと こいつは宝物

Last edited by justpassingby; 2011-04-26 at 08:36. Reason: may be a suitable name for the hotel :P
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 22:29   Link #1018
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
^
Regarding Houki's upgrades:
- My best: Rigged exam (I bet many people saw this as plausible); Houki is genius in hardworking so that's why she is rewarded;
- My worst: Author needs to tell who's the main heroine, and wants to give her bad/bitter end

- Your best: Nothing
- Your worst: Everything

Regarding the battle
- My best: Nothing; because there was nothing

Your best: Needs to imagine, and give the author the chance
Your worst: Uhh, nothing
Well, what can I say, I'm an extremist like that, either think the best or worst possible scenario(usually the worst though, cuz I always think when you already expect the worst, you can no longer get disappointed) . I get where everyone's argument come from and it's not like that thought not crossed my mind before, but like I said, I usually assume the worst so I won't get disappointed when the worst come through

@justpassingby : no hard feeling right? I might seem hard-headed, but all your point is saved inside my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
Is tabane really part of phantom task?
I'm not sure about this one. Tabane can create an IS core right?(already proven by the number of unregistered IS core in the unmanned IS), if it's so, why do phantom task need to do the dangerous task of stealing IS from other country's military(there's the risk of they losing the IS they already own right now). I wouldn't discount the possibility of Tabane helping Phantom Task to further her own agenda though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
About Houki's aptitude thing, how is the aptitude measured again? Since if it's something to do with the bond between IS personal machine and user, than I have a idea:

Spoiler for idea:
Also not sure about this. From what we told, it's highly possible that aptitude solely depend on the pilot, not what unit she used. This is probably not true though. The reason I make this conclusion is because you scan aptitude like body scan instead of scanning it while riding your IS(how can the system know with which IS your aptitude is supposed to be scanned if you're not riding it currently). But, I still wouldn't discount the possibility of the S aptitude is because of Aka-tsubaki. In fact, it also crossed my mind before that the C aptitude is Houki's aptitude with other IS beside Aka-tsubaki while the S aptitude is only because she's using Aka-tsubaki.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 00:41   Link #1019
Masuzu
« 勝利のため »
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: « キセキの世代 »
Quote:
Also i thought it was mecha/harem series but now its going to look like mecha/romance since it is focusing on Houki.
i have no beef with this

*ahemahemcontinueplease*

Quote:
I wouldn't discount the possibility of Tabane helping Phantom Task to further her own agenda though.
i wouldn't put it past her
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 02:44   Link #1020
FreedmAngl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
IF tabane was part of PT then that'd be a gigantic twist in the story, shes portrayed a little bit weird but no where im gonna take over the world, and if she were then why'd she give Houki her IS which is compatible with bykaushiki?
FreedmAngl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blockhead protagonist, comparison, fanservice, harem, manga rebooted, mecha, seinen, shounen, yuuki homura

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.