AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-27, 01:17   Link #461
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I wish we had MORE college setting series of any kind... drama or comedy. Or more workplace settings (REC, Working!, Hataraki Man, etc)
Adults in anime?

Clearly you're asking this industry too much.
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2011-04-27, 01:18   Link #462
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Adults in anime?

Clearly you're asking this industry too much.
But pre-2000, most characters were adults
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline  
Old 2011-04-27, 01:22   Link #463
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Well, if the K-On manga does well and KyoAni is hired to adapt it, then you will see college years stories of HTT (as well as probably Azusa's group's last year of high school). Though I honestly don't know how different the girls will be at Japan Woman's University than they were in their all girls high school. Aside from the fact they are living together in a dorm enviroment rather than all going home each day.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2011-04-27, 05:17   Link #464
totoum
Gamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Adults in anime?

Clearly you're asking this industry too much.
And I swear that the more I read mangas the more I realise the source material is there,it's just that it seems every manga with adults in it gets a live action adaptation while the mangas with highschoolers get an anime.
__________________
totoum is offline  
Old 2011-04-27, 11:51   Link #465
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I wish we had MORE college setting series of any kind... drama or comedy. Or more workplace settings (REC, Working!, Hataraki Man, etc)
High school are the anime equivalent of death and taxes. No escapse, not even the show is set in the past, the present or the future...and if Angel Beats is any indication, you're not even safe in the afterlife.

Jokes aside, Noitamina and anime movies with cinematic ambitions show it can be done. I guess it's a matter of convincing the sponsors that there is a market for anime outside of the usual high school setting (not counting shonen adventures). Kodokawa does have a number of Seinen and Josei manga in their portfolio so it could happen at some point for Kyoani.


Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
But pre-2000, most characters were adults
It's true but that was a different era where TV-ratings still mattered, so anime had to apeal to a wider audience. Besides I don't really have an issue with high school aged characters, it's the dominance of the school setting that is so constricting for creativity. Fortunately this season already has a few good alternatives like Stein's Gate and Tiger and Bunny.
Bri is offline  
Old 2011-04-28, 00:23   Link #466
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well, if the K-On manga does well and KyoAni is hired to adapt it, then you will see college years stories of HTT (as well as probably Azusa's group's last year of high school). Though I honestly don't know how different the girls will be at Japan Woman's University than they were in their all girls high school. Aside from the fact they are living together in a dorm enviroment rather than all going home each day.
True, I don't think they will have boyfriends or...eh... girlfriends... during their university years anyway.

But i expect that they will shows a greater sense of maturity. There's no problems with college students act like high school student sometime, but all the time will be too much.

Maybe:
- part-time works
- private trips
- get drunk with their own little party (was it 18 or 20 to drink beer in japan again?)
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2011-04-28, 00:27   Link #467
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
My guess is Mio would try to act older, as would Ritsu when not trying to slack off or teasing Mio. No clue on Tsumugi....she's alway a mystery (more refined I guess from her upper class upbringing, but she just wants to fit in).

Yui, on the other hand,....will be Yui.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2011-04-28, 00:34   Link #468
brocko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: \(_o)/
No.

They will go to Budokan...

Say whatever happened to Budokan anyway? lol
__________________

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline  
Old 2011-04-28, 00:41   Link #469
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
The manga for their college years already started by the way.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2011-04-28, 00:45   Link #470
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I have never understood why Kyoto should commit to adapting Key's whole product lineup...
Because they're the only reliable ones to do it right. Well, there's Toei, which was kind of a hit or miss.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-04-28 at 01:22.
Archon_Wing is offline  
Old 2011-04-28, 01:12   Link #471
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Adults in anime?

Clearly you're asking this industry too much.
Well... *some* of the reason for the prevalence of high school settings is that for salarymen (or women) in their 20s and 30s --- its NOSTALGIC. It takes them back to a simpler time when the future looked brighter. Adult workplace settings are "bringing work into one's home relaxing time" if not handled carefully. But I do find the lack of college settings a bit surprising ... surely college is fun in Japan. The Japanese college students I know seem to be having a pretty good time - especially in the artistic focus colleges.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2011-04-28, 01:40   Link #472
winhlp32
(‿)
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boyzone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... *some* of the reason for the prevalence of high school settings is that for salarymen (or women) in their 20s and 30s --- its NOSTALGIC. It takes them back to a simpler time when the future looked brighter. Adult workplace settings are "bringing work into one's home relaxing time" if not handled carefully. But I do find the lack of college settings a bit surprising ... surely college is fun in Japan. The Japanese college students I know seem to be having a pretty good time - especially in the artistic focus colleges.
Maybe its because College students evokes images of maturity/responsibility. People who goes to college do have a clear goal of what they want to do in life, while a lot of anime is targeted at people searching for escapism from the daily rigidity of Japanese workforce. That's why a lot of male protagonists in high-school are under-achievers who sit in the corner of the class staring out the window, wondering when something exciting is going to happen to them...and then a girl falls from the sky etc.
winhlp32 is offline  
Old 2011-04-28, 02:32   Link #473
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... *some* of the reason for the prevalence of high school settings is that for salarymen (or women) in their 20s and 30s --- its NOSTALGIC. It takes them back to a simpler time when the future looked brighter. Adult workplace settings are "bringing work into one's home relaxing time" if not handled carefully. But I do find the lack of college settings a bit surprising ... surely college is fun in Japan. The Japanese college students I know seem to be having a pretty good time - especially in the artistic focus colleges.
Crackpot theory: its because of seifuku. Uniforms make your character instantly recognizable as hailing from a certain series and reduce the number of outfits you have to draw.

I know a number of anime fans who are big seifuku enthusiasts but since they're all female cosplayers I'd be hesitant to take them as a representative sample.

I suspect Totoum may be on to something too, BTW.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline  
Old 2011-04-28, 03:25   Link #474
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... *some* of the reason for the prevalence of high school settings is that for salarymen (or women) in their 20s and 30s --- its NOSTALGIC. It takes them back to a simpler time when the future looked brighter. Adult workplace settings are "bringing work into one's home relaxing time" if not handled carefully. But I do find the lack of college settings a bit surprising ... surely college is fun in Japan. The Japanese college students I know seem to be having a pretty good time - especially in the artistic focus colleges.
It makes me wonder why don't Japan look at The Office or Camera Cafe as examples of shows where work environments can be sources of fun.
Sheba is offline  
Old 2011-04-28, 10:08   Link #475
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Crackpot theory: its because of seifuku. Uniforms make your character instantly recognizable as hailing from a certain series and reduce the number of outfits you have to draw.
You better experiment on that thought, since you're actually not too far from the facts:
Spoiler for Look for yourself:

Older than a Jesusaur, I know. But in a vacuum subject to different artstyles, the uniform makes all the difference. I guess the clothes do make the girl...or character. Actually, look at the bromantic foils from Kanon 06 and Clannad. Literally an outfit-only difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It makes me wonder why don't Japan look at The Office or Camera Cafe as examples of shows where work environments can be sources of fun.
Closest thing to The Office would be an anime where the Seiyus become their own characters as they look for roles from the studios...kind of like Bakuman.
__________________
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline  
Old 2011-04-28, 11:23   Link #476
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
You better experiment on that thought, since you're actually not too far from the facts:
Spoiler for Look for yourself:

Older than a Jesusaur, I know. But in a vacuum subject to different artstyles, the uniform makes all the difference. I guess the clothes do make the girl...or character. Actually, look at the bromantic foils from Kanon 06 and Clannad. Literally an outfit-only difference.
Weren't Angel beats and Haruhi Suzumiya's uniforms both based off the same real high school's uniforms though?
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar & Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline  
Old 2011-05-12, 14:51   Link #477
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
No Grand Prizes given for the 2nd Kyoto Animation Award.

As somebody pointed out on the thread for the news article it's not much of a contest when it's been around for 2 years and still failed to have a grand prize winner. This year they didn't even hand out any cash prizes apparently.....I've honestly never heard of anything like this. Can this possibly go a third year at this rate when it has failed to amount to anything so far? I would say no way, but then again who the heck knows with this company sometimes.
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Old 2011-05-13, 22:01   Link #478
Eater of All
NOM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outside the Asylum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
No Grand Prizes given for the 2nd Kyoto Animation Award.

As somebody pointed out on the thread for the news article it's not much of a contest when it's been around for 2 years and still failed to have a grand prize winner. This year they didn't even hand out any cash prizes apparently.....I've honestly never heard of anything like this. Can this possibly go a third year at this rate when it has failed to amount to anything so far? I would say no way, but then again who the heck knows with this company sometimes.
While the lack of awards is puzzling, that same article mentions that KyoAni has set up a website for and will release one of their honorable mention novels from last year, so I wouldn't exactly say it has "failed to amount to anything so far".
Eater of All is offline  
Old 2011-05-13, 23:34   Link #479
NCP
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
No Grand Prizes given for the 2nd Kyoto Animation Award.

As somebody pointed out on the thread for the news article it's not much of a contest when it's been around for 2 years and still failed to have a grand prize winner. This year they didn't even hand out any cash prizes apparently.....I've honestly never heard of anything like this. Can this possibly go a third year at this rate when it has failed to amount to anything so far? I would say no way, but then again who the heck knows with this company sometimes.
Considering that the cash prizes are outlined right on the awards homepage, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they aren't giving them out. They did so last year, and there's no reason to think anything has changed.

Also, it's not like the idea of a contest not handing out a Grand Prize award is unheard of. As you can see, it isn't exactly uncommon for contests like these to withhold their awards if there isn't any applicable work. Simply put, they are not gonna give out an award if they don't feel any of the entries are deserving. Out of the eighty or so times the Tezuka Award has been given out, it has only awarded its Grand Prize fourteen times. Similarly, the Akatsuki Award hasn't had a Grand Prize winner in over twenty years. Where's the fanfare and ridicule about that?

It's also a stretch to say that it has "failed to amount to anything" considering that they have given out over 18.5k USD in cash prizes and are in the process of publishing one of the winning entries. Personally I think its good that Kyoani is doing something to find and cultivate new talent. I mean, I don't see any other studios holding similar contests. Then again, there aren't exactly many studios out there with the financial stability to be giving away thousands of dollars in cash prizes every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
While the lack of awards is puzzling
They have given out awards. What they haven't given out is their Grand Prize. I don't really understand why ANN decided to translate "奨励賞" as "honorable mention". It would be more accurate to call it "encouragement award" or simply "award".
NCP is offline  
Old 2011-05-19, 14:29   Link #480
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCP View Post
Considering that the cash prizes are outlined right on the awards homepage, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they aren't giving them out. They did so last year, and there's no reason to think anything has changed.
ANN said they didn't hand out any prizes initially and then added a correction later. I caught the original version of the article.

Quote:
Also, it's not like the idea of a contest not handing out a Grand Prize award is unheard of. As you can see, it isn't exactly uncommon for contests like these to withhold their awards if there isn't any applicable work. Simply put, they are not gonna give out an award if they don't feel any of the entries are deserving. Out of the eighty or so times the Tezuka Award has been given out, it has only awarded its Grand Prize fourteen times. Similarly, the Akatsuki Award hasn't had a Grand Prize winner in over twenty years. Where's the fanfare and ridicule about that?
Never heard of any of those awards aside from the Tezuka Award and not sure what they have to do with this topic either. To bring them up here and make statements about them would be decidedly off-topic. This information certainly is enlightening as to how Japan handles these contests though.

Quote:
It's also a stretch to say that it has "failed to amount to anything" considering that they have given out over 18.5k USD in cash prizes and are in the process of publishing one of the winning entries. Personally I think its good that Kyoani is doing something to find and cultivate new talent. I mean, I don't see any other studios holding similar contests. Then again, there aren't exactly many studios out there with the financial stability to be giving away thousands of dollars in cash prizes every year.
I don't think your average studio is struggling as much as Kyoani to internally create an original work either though. The way I see it this contest is kind of a necessity/publicity thing for getting the ball rolling on that front. So far it hasn't resulted in much of anything though as I said. Hence the criticism.


Quote:
They have given out awards. What they haven't given out is their Grand Prize. I don't really understand why ANN decided to translate "奨励賞" as "honorable mention". It would be more accurate to call it "encouragement award" or simply "award".
Don't know either, maybe you should tell them how it should be translated I guess. The original article stated that no awards were given though so that's what I reported. As I said the correction came after.
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
studios

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.