AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 15 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 22.22%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 6.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.22%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.22%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-27, 13:30   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashZeStampeedo View Post
I think she chose him specifically, yes. He can't have been the only wheat merchant passing through Pasroe all that time, and it's clear she could have left on her own whenever she wanted to (she just didn't want to).

Since Lawrence had been through Pasroe several times before, and it's an event when someone arrives in a remote village like Pasroe, it's likely that she "scoped him out", and decided that he was a good candidate to be her sugar-daddy.

I think she was waiting for an excuse to travel with him, and that he wouldn't be that easy to win over. Let's face it: her cover-story is just cute nonsense designed to appeal to his ego and tug at his heartstrings. It didn't take him long to realize she was just lonely, like him.

I think she was trying to "impress him" in the sense that she wanted to prove she was indispensable. At first, all she could offer was flirty companionship, which she knew he was weak to. Of course, she's clearly weak to that as well, which is why we have a story.
Ah... you're right about the scoping out, pre-selecting, and the rest -- I hadn't thought of that.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2011-04-29, 11:08   Link #22
seiichi-san
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Utah
Age: 44
Send a message via MSN to seiichi-san Send a message via Skype™ to seiichi-san
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Ah... you're right about the scoping out, pre-selecting, and the rest -- I hadn't thought of that.

Wow... I thought I was the only one that picked that up. After I finished reading the first novel. Those same thoughts came to me. I wondered if she had noticed him coming to Pasloe over the years and finally decided to take the chance to talk to him. I noticed right from the beginning even though she was trying to impress him. She always showed concern towards his well being, but maybe I'm over thinking things to much.
seiichi-san is offline  
Old 2011-04-29, 11:49   Link #23
BashZeStampeedo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiichi-san View Post
I noticed right from the beginning even though she was trying to impress him. She always showed concern towards his well being, but maybe I'm over thinking things to much.
To me anyway, it seemed more like her desire to impress him were really cries for attention and affection. Given how emotionally vulnerable she was, and how obviously she wanted to feel loved and appreciated, it would make sense for her to wait for someone who could provide those qualities.

Her actions all felt insecure, and fearful of rejection..almost ready to give up on humanity altogether. She wanted superman, but settled for Lawrence because he was the best she could find. She didn't really seem to truly trust Lawrence until he shocked her by proving that he would die for her sake.
BashZeStampeedo is offline  
Old 2011-04-29, 11:55   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
I just hadn't thought it out too deeply and had assumed it really was a chance meeting. Case of all the clues in front of me and me with no "a ha!".
Vexx is offline  
Old 2011-04-29, 12:28   Link #25
seiichi-san
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Utah
Age: 44
Send a message via MSN to seiichi-san Send a message via Skype™ to seiichi-san
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I just hadn't thought it out too deeply and had assumed it really was a chance meeting. Case of all the clues in front of me and me with no "a ha!".
Hehe... Well I have done that many times in my life to. Lately because of my new career I tend to pay attention to details more.

Last edited by seiichi-san; 2011-04-29 at 13:17.
seiichi-san is offline  
Old 2011-04-29, 13:28   Link #26
BashZeStampeedo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiichi-san View Post
Hehe... Well I have done that many times in my life to. Lately because of my new career I tend to pay attention to details more.
The funny thing, this is that kind of anime. You can enjoy it on many levels.. I enjoy it most for what is NOT being said, but implied. Others are happy enough with just what's being presented up-front. Still others enjoy it because it's full of little details you might not notice if you aren't paying attention.

It's not just a simple, straightforward romance or action story, just there for a superficial kick. But neither is it trying to make you feel a particular way or preach something like it's trying to be profound. It's just there for you to figure out on your own time, and enjoy as you see fit.
BashZeStampeedo is offline  
Old 2011-04-29, 15:09   Link #27
seiichi-san
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Utah
Age: 44
Send a message via MSN to seiichi-san Send a message via Skype™ to seiichi-san
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashZeStampeedo View Post
The funny thing, this is that kind of anime. You can enjoy it on many levels.. I enjoy it most for what is NOT being said, but implied. Others are happy enough with just what's being presented up-front. Still others enjoy it because it's full of little details you might not notice if you aren't paying attention.

It's not just a simple, straightforward romance or action story, just there for a superficial kick. But neither is it trying to make you feel a particular way or preach something like it's trying to be profound. It's just there for you to figure out on your own time, and enjoy as you see fit.
Well said, I appreciate the response. I was attempting to say something like that.
seiichi-san is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.