AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > AnoHana

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-30, 00:19   Link #581
TheEroKing
Akari Edition
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
@brocko: different people react differently to similar situations.
__________________
TheEroKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 00:27   Link #582
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
First reactions for your own terminally ill mother should be one of worry imo. The fact that he lashed out at her instead was a little mean and selfish to say the least... I know that he's still young, but even kid's don't lash out at their own mothers (especially one that's terminally ill) unless they have a good reason to. It was a difficult situation for him no doubt, but i still don't understant why he had to push her away like that =/
Plenty of young children respond to serious illness of a parent by blaming the parent.

In their world mother and father are god-like beings who can do anything- then they suddenly "choose" to become sick. It scary, and the child expresses his fear the same way he would if mom was yelling at him.

I've seen quite a few children respond just like Jinta in real life.
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 00:35   Link #583
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post

Mind if I snag this one then?
Sure, go ahead. Did you want your name in it? If so, here:

160 px height



and also a 120 px tall version, if you wish to combine it with two lines of text.

__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 00:59   Link #584
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Honestly, I don't - and it seems like 28 pages of posts on 3 episodes agrees with the idea that there's plenty to discuss. For me, there's not much that's more interesting to discuss in the context of anime that emotion. Let's put it this way - this series has more posts and pageviews than C, and in my view, these two series make a pretty good model for the cerebral (C) vs. the heartfelt (AnoHana).
First, I intend no offense whatsoever, but most of those posts seem to be re-tellings and reiterations of essentially the same things. I don't really think of that as discussion, but people's mileage may vary. Not many people 'discussed' Tatami Galaxy but because of the quality of the posts (different people exploring and examining different aspects of the series, for example), there was little repetition and there was a lot more discussion, at least for me.

A recapitulation of the last few pages, for example, will present
  • disgust on Yukiatsu's actions or the insinuations as regards his character
  • Jinta's emotions toward his mother and his debility due to the catastrophes in life
  • a bit on Tsuruko and her personality

That's all right with me, but the depth of this series is found in its characters, not in its intellectual piquancy. There's really little discussion as to what happened per se, because it's not the focus. There's a lot to talk about, however, regarding the emotions and feelings of the characters.

I hope you guys get what I mean.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 01:39   Link #585
Tu101uk
~ Episode of Side A ~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London, UK
Age: 28
In regards to Jinta's mum, I believe she died after Menma? In the first episode, we're shown that he ran into his dad, who said "I'm just popping out to see your mother...", after his bustup with Menma. I assume he meant he was going to see her at the hospital (though it could mean he was gonna go and visit her grave).

If so, it's perfectly understandable that he acted that way towards his mother, having experienced the death of a loved one already. In fact, it doesn't matter who died first, as the death of one would only have been compounded by the death of the other, and either way Jinta would have receded even further into trauma and depression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
First, I intend no offense whatsoever, but most of those posts seem to be re-tellings and reiterations of essentially the same things. I don't really think of that as discussion, but people's mileage may vary. Not many people 'discussed' Tatami Galaxy but because of the quality of the posts (different people exploring and examining different aspects of the series, for example), there was little repetition and there was a lot more discussion, at least for me.

A recapitulation of the last few pages, for example, will present
  • disgust on Yukiatsu's actions or the insinuations as regards his character
  • Jinta's emotions toward his mother and his debility due to the catastrophes in life
  • a bit on Tsuruko and her personality

That's all right with me, but the depth of this series is found in its characters, not in its intellectual piquancy. There's really little discussion as to what happened per se, because it's not the focus. There's a lot to talk about, however, regarding the emotions and feelings of the characters.

I hope you guys get what I mean.
Yeah, that's understandable. It's mainly been a lot of people agreeing with each other and coming up with similar conclusions. That's not really a bad thing, everyone being on a similar level of understanding... :3 Though methinks we're getting a bit of repetition because some of us (me included) haven't been able to express clearly what we really want to say about the series and its emotion-provoking characters...

O-O~
__________________

~ Current Season Favourites... :: Ano Natsu de Matteru / Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! / Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou ~

Last edited by Tu101uk; 2011-04-30 at 01:54.
Tu101uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 02:07   Link #586
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
First, I intend no offense whatsoever, but most of those posts seem to be re-tellings and reiterations of essentially the same things. I don't really think of that as discussion, but people's mileage may vary. Not many people 'discussed' Tatami Galaxy but because of the quality of the posts (different people exploring and examining different aspects of the series, for example), there was little repetition and there was a lot more discussion, at least for me.
I certainly don't take any offense, no worries. But I do qualitatively disagree with the point you're making - which seems to be that discussions of character behavior, motivation and emotional trauma are somehow less valid than those that analyze the technical aspects of a series. If you were correct, the 4000 or so posts on "Cross Game" certainly wouldn't meet your high standards.

Tatami Galaxy is an interesting example, because I think it's quite analogous to C and AnoHana is quite analogous to House of Five Leaves, which were the NoitaminA shows that season. Of the two I found the discussions on HoFL much more interesting because they were dealing with the subtle, somewhat subjective behaviors and emotional states of the characters, while the TG discussions were more focused on all the clever tricks the series was playing. Different strokes, as you say, for different folks.

I don't see the discussions here as repetitive at all. Where human behavior is concerned, there's a lot of room for interpretation and people are expressing differing views on the events they're seeing on screen. I certainly realize that not everyone is going to find that interesting.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 02:53   Link #587
brocko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: \(_o)/
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
@brocko: different people react differently to similar situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Plenty of young children respond to serious illness of a parent by blaming the parent.

In their world mother and father are god-like beings who can do anything- then they suddenly "choose" to become sick. It scary, and the child expresses his fear the same way he would if mom was yelling at him.

I've seen quite a few children respond just like Jinta in real life.
I think what irked me off so much was that it was a really immature yet rather hurtful thing to do even if it does fit into the given context.
__________________

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 03:23   Link #588
Soconfused
Old God Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: you....don't wanna know
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
I think what irked me off so much was that it was a really immature yet rather hurtful thing to do even if it does fit into the given context.
Of course it was immature, he was what, 8, 10? I'm pretty sure he wasn't thinking how his actions would effect his mother. I've visited sick relatives at hospitals when I was young, it's not exactly a place a young boy/girl wants to be, regardless of who you're visiting.

That aside, I am getting pissed at older Jinta. Dude needs to get it together and stop being such a, ahh, for lack of better term, giant vagina. Tsuruko is also being pretty annoying. Overall, it was an episode that left me feeling very annoyed. Watching all these schooled based anime makes me realize how annoying teens can be. Guess it wasn't too long ago that I too was an annoying prick....*smokes a pipe*

Anyways, next episode should be interesting, would be awesome if their little summoning works and they can all see Menma, though I think I like the "everyone sees her differently" approach more.
__________________
What exactly is the point of becoming powerful if one cannot indulge the hedonistic opportunities that come with it?
Soconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 03:45   Link #589
stormy001_M1A2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I think the situation is a bit too much for a kid to handle. I don't blame his reactions towards his mother, to be honest.
__________________
stormy001_M1A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 03:59   Link #590
Haak
F**k my life...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Yeah I can't believe Yukiatsu said that at the end. It really made me raeg hard...
__________________
MyAnimeList
Avatar - Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Signature - Gundam Reconguista in G
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 04:31   Link #591
UltimaWolf
~Nani...?~
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ~Bleh~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Awesome work on the Avies as always. Thanks!
__________________
UltimaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 04:42   Link #592
~Destiny~
Tra La Laaaa~
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyrule
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to ~Destiny~
Does anyone else feel like what Yukiatsu said at the end was sarcasm?
__________________
~Destiny~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 04:43   Link #593
Haak
F**k my life...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Destiny~ View Post
Does anyone else feel like what Yukiatsu said at the end was sarcasm?
I don't think it was sarcasm. It struck me as petty competitiveness.
__________________
MyAnimeList
Avatar - Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Signature - Gundam Reconguista in G
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 05:33   Link #594
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Moon (where Feena at <3)
Just picked up this show, and I have to say I love it. Love the idea, and execution is nice too. I happen to have a close friend among a group of friends who also passed away, even though the situation is a bit different. It happened after he grew up. And he died by committing suicide. I hope it's not the case for Menma, which I believe shouldn't be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't think it was sarcasm. It struck me as petty competitiveness.
Yep. And you know, what he said led me to lean towards that it's Tsuruko who dressed up as Menma's ghost. Tsuruko did it to satisfy his desire and lead him to believe that Menma did come back as a ghost. That's why she's so sure that he would come.
__________________
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 05:34   Link #595
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
I think what irked me off so much was that it was a really immature yet rather hurtful thing to do even if it does fit into the given context.
From time to time, parents do not know how to explain certain things (problems) to their children, and what they do instead, is to try and hide the whole thing. They believe things will go better down the road, which will then make everything easier to explain.

Problem starts when the kids not only realize the issue, but also realize that their parents are lying to them. At this point, it is extremely easy for the the kids to become angry at their parents for not trusting them.

Of course, this is just me trying to understand this scene, and it could all be way off in the end.

EDIT:

This could also be it, me thinks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu101uk
In regards to Jinta's mum, I believe she died after Menma? In the first episode, we're shown that he ran into his dad, who said "I'm just popping out to see your mother...", after his bustup with Menma. I assume he meant he was going to see her at the hospital (though it could mean he was gonna go and visit her grave).

If so, it's perfectly understandable that he acted that way towards his mother, having experienced the death of a loved one already. In fact, it doesn't matter who died first, as the death of one would only have been compounded by the death of the other, and either way Jinta would have receded even further into trauma and depression.
__________________

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-04-30 at 05:56.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 08:13   Link #596
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Loved the continuing development of the characters. A lil disappointed that Jinta didn't make it to school. Poppo getting the band back together is great. Of course, there will be a lil adjustment phase to all of them being back in one room again after all this time since Menma's death. Yukiatsu saying he saw Menma.. not 100% sure what to make of that, other than I'm partially believing it's him cross dressing as Menma in the first part.

I just wish now that Poppo could take Anaru's gal pals on a "jungle cruise"...
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 09:35   Link #597
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Pretty sure she was just trying to hide the IV...
She could have just pulled her sleeve down. Common sense checkers... it should be a professional job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Way, way harsh. Jinta is supposed to be what, 8 or so there? That's incredibly difficult, seeing your mother in a sickbed like that - I don't think his reaction was surprising at all.
I think it was too. Hospitals aren't places that incite anger, especially in children. I can understand if she is sick in at home, but not in a hospital. And I bet his father didn't scold him at all either.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 09:52   Link #598
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
The third episode leads me to believe that maybe the show isn't entirely based solely on the premise of Jinta getting everyone together again for the finale. Considering the relative ease that most of them got together for this episode, it's seems more likely that simple broken bonds aren't the focus of the show, and neither is it Menma's wish. The third episode in fact seems to delve more deeply into each individual with Jinta as the starting point, but it's clear as day that each character has their own demons to deal with regarding Menma.

In a way it becomes something like an individualized study on how each person deals with the issue of death, and the aftereffects of such an event. From that, it seems to me that Menma's wish isn't simply getting her friends to reconnect, but finding a way to heal the wounds that have refused to close all these years.

Hmmm... Tomorrow's labor day so I should be able to expound on this.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 11:26   Link #599
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Ok, Menma being able to cook is probably slightly too much for a ghost but whatever...

Description sure doesn't sound believable so far because it is thanks to Poppo that everyone are actually talking to each other.

And I seriously doubt that what everyone saw was Menma's ghost, probably someone dressing up for whatever reason.

Yukiatsu is being creepy as always, he probably buys all that stuff to add to his freaky Menma collection or to cross dress himself.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 11:34   Link #600
Soconfused
Old God Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: you....don't wanna know
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Ok, Menma being able to cook is probably slightly too much for a ghost but whatever...

Description sure doesn't sound believable so far because it is thanks to Poppo that everyone are actually talking to each other.

And I seriously doubt that what everyone saw was Menma's ghost, probably someone dressing up for whatever reason.

Yukiatsu is being creepy as always, he probably buys all that stuff to add to his freaky Menma collection or to cross dress himself.
Oh yeah, completely forgot about the whole cooking thing. You would think that Jinta would just have her grab some sticks or juggle some rocks, would be pretty hard to disprove that, but I guess that would be too easy huh. Or maybe Jinta's got a Tyler Durden thing going on and he made the muffins himself.
__________________
What exactly is the point of becoming powerful if one cannot indulge the hedonistic opportunities that come with it?
Soconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coming of age, drama, moe, noitamina, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.