AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-03, 19:54   Link #1
Mashda2k6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Racism, share your thoughts/experiences.

Hello, people of animesuki. Today I would like to share my own experiences and ask for yours. Also discuss racism in general and your views on it.

I hope this thread is appropriate[and that the contents of my post aren't in another thread.]. I also hope people will contribute their feelings and thoughts on this matter. I'm interested.

How often do you face racism? Is it physical or verbal, examples? Ethnicity and age and sex?

And to the people that virtually never face racism( I don't like to generalize in anyway but probably Caucasians, no offense or anything but I'm tired and can't think of any other way to form this question). Do you tolerate it, ignore it or challenge it? How, why(upbringing, justice-seeking, friends)? Examples.

Also directed at Caucasians: How do you feel about immigrants in your countries? Lately I feel it's becoming normal thinking that immigrants do all the crimes and steal the women and live off benefits without doing jobs and if they don't do that then they steal the jobs of the natives etc.

Also, I would like to ask, which country do you think is the least rasistic and why? I know that racism is everywhere and will always be but still I'd like to hear your opinions on this aswell.

And how do you think racism will change, if it will during the next 50 or 100 years? It is after all a part of human nature but will it lessen or get stronger? (I really aren't educated enough to give an opinion on this so I will leave that to you.)
Will we one day have a world full of people mixed with many races or will we before that have a Fourth Reich and all people of color exterminated?


Myself, I'm 18 years old and live in Finland. I've been discriminated since I can remember. I'm half-african and half-european and I certainly haven't violated the whole "When in Rome.."-policy.

Verbal racism towards me was naturally more upfront and usual when I was younger, in elementary school and junior high. Since high school not many people call me upfront with the n-word. However, subtle racist looks were part of my daily life then and are to this day.

Physical racism is a bit more rare, partly because of my peaceful nature. The only real assault was when I was 13 and a young blossoming skinhead beat me up at school even though I never had seen or talked to him before. Nowadays I sometimes get pushed at clubs or insulted but again I avoid getting beaten up cause I don't have the balls to stand up to these 20-something year old neo nazis.


Hope you feel comfortable enough to share your thoughts and experiences on racism and its effects on whatnot. and thank you for your time.
Mashda2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 20:11   Link #2
Flinch
Onii-chan~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Einzbern Castle
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch Send a message via Skype™ to Flinch
First off, racism will never go away. As much as people try and play it down, many are racist. Most of my family is racist towards all non-Caucasians, which is another reason why I despise them. I would like to consider myself as not being racist, as I simply don't care about such things.
__________________
Flinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 20:31   Link #3
Kameruka
Hen-Tie
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hen-Tie pen
I know this is very controversial matter but I had some bad experience too. When I was buying some anime DVDs in my favorite DVD store, a Chinese teenager(male, aged somewhere between 18 to 20) said to me "You Malays shouldn't watch anime. Go back to your Upin & Ipin!". I was surprised that he actually said that to me but fortunately the store owner, who also Chinese ask that kid to get out from his store. At least I'm glad not all people of his kind at his side.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 20:38   Link #4
Haladflire65
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Normandy SR-2
Age: 19
I just find that subtle racism is existent in places where people claim to be so accepting. For example, I'm at a nice school in Canada, Toronto, supposedly one of the most multicultural cities in the world. Even here, all the teachers are white except for the Mandarin teacher and one other teacher who is Indian, and people make pretty racist implications without even realizing it. Examples of comments directed towards Asians (our school is pretty much half-Asian): "Oh, you're so Asian." "What an Asian fail!" "You're Asian, how come you're bad at math?" "Oh, you only got 100% on that test because you're Asian." These remarks might seem funny or amusing to some people but I find them really offensive, stereotypical and annoying. So if I'm Asian, you're not going give me any credit for studying hard for a test?

It actually felt so good to go to school in Korea and Japan, I'm Asian like everyone else and nobody comments on it... *sigh* Maybe that would be the only way for me to feel comfortable and not discriminated against - to just move back home or settle in Tokyo again

At the same time, there are times Caucasians are targets of racism too, aren't there? As we know Japan is very xenophobic and they only recently stopped using the offensive term 'gaijin' (outsider) for foreigners, Westerners in particular.
__________________
Haladflire65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 20:43   Link #5
Hera
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
there's a guy I know, whatever he doesn't like, he associates it with "american" and says "you're so American" (negative comment)
Hera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 21:02   Link #6
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
"Oh, you're so Asian." "What an Asian fail!" "You're Asian, how come you're bad at math?" "Oh, you only got 100% on that test because you're Asian." These remarks might seem funny or amusing to some people but I find them really offensive, stereotypical and annoying. So if I'm Asian, you're not going give me any credit for studying hard for a test?
I hear that stuff all the time at my school, and in all honesty, say some of those things myself. I don't feel like I'm being rude, because most people I know (Asians) laugh with me; they know I'm just half-heartedly pointing out stereotypes as a joke. I hope they're actually laughing with me, because I'd be saddened if they were faking it and didn't tell me. I wouldn't continue to say things like that if I knew they were hurtful to my friends.

Either way, isn't that just racial stereotyping, and not racism? I believe racism is the belief in superiority or inferiority of one or multiple ethnicities.
__________________
Asuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 21:17   Link #7
Haladflire65
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Normandy SR-2
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
I hear that stuff all the time at my school, and in all honesty, say some of those things myself. I don't feel like I'm being rude, because most people I know (Asians) laugh with me; they know I'm just half-heartedly pointing out stereotypes as a joke. I hope they're actually laughing with me, because I'd be saddened if they were faking it and didn't tell me. I wouldn't continue to say things like that if I knew they were hurtful to my friends.
Well, don't worry too much because I know as a fact that not everyone would be upset by these kinds of comments, I guess a lot of Asians have been sort of immunized to them after hearing them so much. I only feel offended by them if I think hard about them, so I guess I should just stop that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Either way, isn't that just racial stereotyping, and not racism? I believe racism is the belief in superiority or inferiority of one or multiple ethnicities.
Hmm, I suppose you can say so, but I sometimes feel like people are putting us down by saying things like "Asian this, Asian that". I also feel that people who think they have the authority to stereotype people of other cultures are a bit racist to an extent. Isn't racism born from stereotyping? Because when people have racial or cultural stereotype in their minds they cease to think of people of other races or cultures as individuals, and when a particular group of people become generalized like this...
__________________
Haladflire65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 21:21   Link #8
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Hmm, I suppose you can say so, but I sometimes feel like people are putting us down by saying things like "Asian this, Asian that". I also feel that people who think they have the authority to stereotype people of other cultures are a bit racist to an extent. Isn't racism born from stereotyping? Because when people have racial or cultural stereotype in their minds they cease to think of people of other races or cultures as individuals, and when a particular group of people become generalized like this...
You definitely have a point there. I can see how stereotyping segregates humans into different categories.

However, steretypes are everywhere, even in those who point them out. By placing stereotypes unto ethnicities, I don't feel they're feeling superior unless they actually do feel superior. Cause then they're just stereotyping. You can stereotype a white male as much as you can an Asian. It eliminates the idea of either one being superior/inferior. At least, IMO.
__________________
Asuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 22:26   Link #9
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Interestingly, during my army days, we would call our Malay squadmates "mud", our Indian "Black", and the Chinese "white" or "ching". And we always designate sharpshooter roles to the Indians because "they hide so well in the dark" and pass extra camoflage paint to the Chinese (me) since "they need so much more to even barely cover themselves".

Then back at our quarters, we would all sit around the bunk and laugh it off while still trading insults. It's like we give a serious shit about anyone's race or culture at all - we would always name the one who cries out about racism the racist instead.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 01:13   Link #10
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
racism doesn't exist in this part of the philippines

cuz all those racist bastards know i'm here
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 02:28   Link #11
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
It's very sad and unfortunate, but racism has been and will always be existent in people's hearts. It's almost a genetic impulse to categorize people for the fact that they're different from themselves. I believe the reason for it is that deep down, they're afraid of the difference and don't want to associate with something that stands in such contrast to themselves. Over the years, people have been starting to become more accepting of other cultures and ethnic backgrounds, but this is mostly in communities where interaction with people from different places is virtually unavoidable. There are other places that're more "off the grid" where people are still stuck in the old ways or where seeing people from a different ethnic background is very rare (like the OP's case, it's not everyday you get to see someone from Africa in Finland).

The best thing we can do is shoulder it and move on. The words people speak are meaningless and have little to no effect with your own life, your growth, your beliefs and what you stand for as a human being. I've been discriminated when I was very young because of my being part American. That's not something people tend to see in a small town in Sicily. I learned later on that these types of people like to see their targets either get angry or show fear because they want to feel superior and good about themselves. Show them indifference and they'll back away. That being said, I don't care where a person is from or their cultural beliefs. So long as I can get along with someone, that's all that matters to me.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 03:09   Link #12
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Haven't directly experienced any racism or discrimination but me and my friends in university often make a lot of incredibly racist jokes towards each other and other cultures. Not in a "It's funny because it's true" way but in a "It's funny because such logic (racism) is clearly absurd" sort of way so i suppose it's okay. For example we have a lot of chinese friends and we all (even our chinese friends) often joke about them spreading "Chinese AIDS". There's also a lot fo terrorists jokes since a lot of us are muslims aswell. Infact just yesterday my friend (who's of Indian origin) weas joking about how the Americans killed my dad in Pakistan...

So yeah, I've mostly experienced the funny side of it but I wonder if it's really okay to joke about such things when there are other people in the world who are genuinely suffering from this sort of thing, though.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 10:00   Link #13
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
I think there's a thin line between racism and stereotypes, so we should watch on that...

A woman i know does not even allow an Indian-origin mechanic into her house because she afraid that (guess what) he's a terrorist. Now i personally don't think that's racist, just delude themselves with a certain stereotypes that's not true (in the past, it was "social connection", now it's media). Even I feel ashamed myself for getting scared s***less at a Middle Eastern guy on the plane, who carry a huge black backpack, and keeps saying something like a prayer when eyes staring at the ceiling. Now if he open that pack and let me have a look to feel safe enough, i don't mind to share my apple pies. But clearly at that moment i really did judge him on the stereotype that played on his race.

However, with all my honest and faithful judgement, i really don't think that i'm a racist.
__________________
risingstar3110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 15:00   Link #14
Mashda2k6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
@risingstar3310

My opinion on that woman is that she's been deluded by stereotypes to the degree that she would be considered a racist(again my opinion) and why would a terrorist even target one household, that would be just stupid. Plus, India isn't very islamic(13% are muslims) compared to Afghanistan, Iran or Iraq. Maybe you're just confusing India with Pakistan, they use to be one big land but then seperated to Pakistan, Bangladesh, India and some other land if I remember correct.

I wouldn't really think that you yourself are a racist, since you felt ashamed. Just a little stereotypic, but that goes for everybody. Myself I haven't seen any Middle Eastern people on a plane and I think I wouldn't be so afraid because after all the chance that they're a terrorist is pretty small.

And all of you others: Thank you for the replies.
Mashda2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 20:55   Link #15
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Even I feel ashamed myself for getting scared s***less at a Middle Eastern guy on the plane, who carry a huge black backpack, and keeps saying something like a prayer when eyes staring at the ceiling.
Reminds me of "My Name is Khan."

In actuality, I have never found myself being like that in an airport. I see Middle Easterners passing by and I have no reaction. Barely even notice they are even there. I've never been nervous on planes, so that could be one of the reasons; a lack of any anxiety at all.
__________________
Asuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 21:14   Link #16
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Interestingly, during my army days, we would call our Malay squadmates "mud", our Indian "Black", and the Chinese "white" or "ching". And we always designate sharpshooter roles to the Indians because "they hide so well in the dark" and pass extra camoflage paint to the Chinese (me) since "they need so much more to even barely cover themselves".

Then back at our quarters, we would all sit around the bunk and laugh it off while still trading insults. It's like we give a serious shit about anyone's race or culture at all - we would always name the one who cries out about racism the racist instead.
I think it should be "Mat", short for "Ahmad". But yeah, NS was the ball as far as this part is concerned.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 10:57   Link #17
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
I just find that subtle racism is existent in places where people claim to be so accepting. For example, I'm at a nice school in Canada, Toronto, supposedly one of the most multicultural cities in the world. Even here, all the teachers are white except for the Mandarin teacher and one other teacher who is Indian, and people make pretty racist implications without even realizing it. Examples of comments directed towards Asians (our school is pretty much half-Asian): "Oh, you're so Asian." "What an Asian fail!" "You're Asian, how come you're bad at math?" "Oh, you only got 100% on that test because you're Asian." These remarks might seem funny or amusing to some people but I find them really offensive, stereotypical and annoying. So if I'm Asian, you're not going give me any credit for studying hard for a test?

It actually felt so good to go to school in Korea and Japan, I'm Asian like everyone else and nobody comments on it... *sigh* Maybe that would be the only way for me to feel comfortable and not discriminated against - to just move back home or settle in Tokyo again

At the same time, there are times Caucasians are targets of racism too, aren't there? As we know Japan is very xenophobic and they only recently stopped using the offensive term 'gaijin' (outsider) for foreigners, Westerners in particular.
Annoys me when people say this too, and I'm not even Asian. I don't really think it's racism, but it's pretty dumb anyways.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 19:53   Link #18
solidguy
I'm not a tumor
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the dreams of beautiful women
Age: 21
I cop alot of flak from white people where I come from. I live in New Zealand and im polynesian. I feel like a second rate citizen everytime im walking around the campus. Its kind of a new experience mingling with such a diverse mix of people. This is my first year at university and i honestly thought people were more open minded and liberal about race relations. Heres one example. Me and my sister (who works at the uni) are in the elevator and a white couple walk in, everythings fine. Then an old white lady walks in an smiles at them, thats fine. Then she looks directly at me with the look of disgust on her face. Or how everytime I say something in my uni tutorial classes they look at me like as if im on crack (ps I have an A GPA, class average is C+). It might sound like nitpicking but the list actually could go on forever.

There seems to be a misconception of polynesian being dumb, brute, violent savages and to tell you the truth it really pisses me off. I know polynesians aren't the only coloured people to be marginalized but man New Zealand IS polynesian. It was the europeans who migrated to us yet we are now left feeling like visitors. Everytime I turn on the news I see stories of white people being murdered or a little white girl goes missing. My nextdoor neighbour was shot in the face last week and the only coverage that got was a small 5th page coloumn on the local paper.

I know im sounding anti white but I really am not. I wish I only to be accepted in a culture which has become the dominant in our world. Is it really to much to ask?

Last edited by solidguy; 2011-05-18 at 22:47.
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 02:48   Link #19
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
racism doesn't exist in this part of the philippines

cuz all those racist bastards know i'm here
I don't think so. At least not in Imperial Manila, anyway.

In the Philippines, racism is usually directed to provincials, whom some people in Imperial Manila think of as "uncivilized" just because they weren't born from the capital city.

The most popular form of that, which I actually have experienced firsthand, is one directed towards Visayans, who are known for their bad accent by Imperial Manila's standards.

Reminder: In this video, don't try to understand the language, just hear the accents to get the idea.



Spoiler for Translation:


Whenever people play Defense of the Ancients (DotA) together for example, a losing player is often trash-talked to by the winning player in full view of the people around the internet cafe and sometimes called a "Bisaya/Visayan" in addition to those trash-talks.

I hear that from a lot of people here in Imperial Manila almost everyday, but I shrug it off. Why? Because I know I can do things they can't. In fact, in my high school days, I used to excel in academics "on the road".
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 03:36   Link #20
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
In Greece and Germany, where I have lived, xenophobia is a general issue. But racism, apart from the occasional demonstration, I have only witnessed one assault against a nigerian in Hamburg by neo-nazi gang in four years of living there, while in Thessoliniki only occasional police abuse, but for greek standards police is brutal against everyone, not only immigrants.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.