AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2010-10-05, 02:00   Link #1381
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

some self promotion... i finished my amv, years later. haha. not what i wanted it to be in the end, but i'm still happy with it. also, watch it in 480p at least. i have no idea why youtube downsized it to 280p..

yeah, the ending really sucks. oh well.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 09:16   Link #1382
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That's nice to hear, I can't believe it's taken them so long to allow female gondoliers. So, does her uniform looks as sexy as the ones in Aria?
Her uniform is more traditional looking... and she's definitely got the sort of muscle definition you'd actually have piloting a boat. She's not unattractive... but Aria sort of ignored that result of having such a job. Even if the boats were made of some ultralight material, there's still the weight of the cargo and the resistance of the water that would develop muscle tone.
Old 2010-10-07, 09:22   Link #1383
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Undine are more geisha than boatmen.
Old 2010-10-07, 11:32   Link #1384
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Her uniform is more traditional looking... and she's definitely got the sort of muscle definition you'd actually have piloting a boat. She's not unattractive... but Aria sort of ignored that result of having such a job. Even if the boats were made of some ultralight material, there's still the weight of the cargo and the resistance of the water that would develop muscle tone.
Ma, ma, let's just add this to the list of wonderful and profound mysteries present in Aria (reading your post reminded me of all those Jojo and Shigurui parodies... ). I, for one, would take my cute Undines over any kind of real life gondolier anyday. Thank you, anime.

That said, I actually agree the "RL Undine" isn't unattractive. She's no frail little girl but her body doesn't look disgusting or antyhing (in fact, I'd say her face is her weakest point) especially if you keep in mind she's had two kids already. It might be possible for hot female gondoliers to exist, maybe we will see them someday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
Undine are more geisha than boatmen.
That's not a bad comparison. I'd say they're a good mix of both, rowing the gondola properly is as important as entertaining the customers.
Old 2011-04-29, 15:36   Link #1385
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

I'm rewatching this. Feel free to join in Got a lot of spare time in these coming two weeks. (yay for having no real finals!) Not that it needs reaffirming, but lets remind ourselves why its the best show ever made!

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-05-01, 06:43   Link #1386
Misago

just finished watching this for the first time

Spoiler for the last few episodes:
Misago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 16:45   Link #1387
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misago View Post
just finished watching this for the first time

Spoiler for the last few episodes:
We may not have Amanchu in the horizon but Tamayura is getting a TV Series. Why Tamayura? Because it's got the same director Aria had and from the OVA I got that the overall feeling of the show is a mirror image of Aria so rejoice!

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 17:47   Link #1388
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

we probably won't get an amanchu anime any time soon. there really isn't enough material, and the chapters are too sparse to do a 1 chapter to 1 episode ratio. plus it doesn't help that the manga is quarterly now.

Old 2011-05-04, 21:05   Link #1389
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

so ep 1:

first thought: Alicia can control the weather. well, she's amazing enough that i wouldn't put it passed her. Its a good introductory ep. despite the fact that we've had 2 previous seasons to get to know the characters, we're pretty much reintroduced to each of the characters and the specific traits that define them. the beginning half of the episode was a good story transition. it basically highlighted the fact that the season was going to deal with promotion and growing up. At the end, when the three water faeries were watching their proteges laugh and have a good time on the porch, it basically sealed the deal that this was going to be the "growing up" season. Beautiful music and scenery too. one thing i've always loved about this series is how the OP is different every ep.

Old 2011-05-08, 23:34   Link #1390
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

episode 2: The Gondolier Inquisitor...
This is probably one of the most visually stunning eps in the series. The monastery garden and the wisteria blossoms are scenes that will stick with you for years. Akari gets her first real commission (Akatsuki doesn't count..). Its a stern reminder that everyone sees things differently, and everyone has knowledge that others don't know about the same thing. Amaranta knows this, and that's why she returns and gets a tour from singles. They all have their own way of presenting what's in front of them (more on this in a later ep). The music and visuals marry at the end when the beautiful shot of the sunset and Eien no Umi ~A Song for Zephyr~ plays, with Amaranta narrating about how the city grows more beautiful every time an Undine is born.

ahh.. love this show.

Old 2011-05-10, 01:25   Link #1391
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

episode 3: The chocolate guy
For some reason, this has always been my least favorite ep of Origination. something didn't seem right about the chocolate guy. the take away message is, "those who make things imbue their feelings into the crafting process." its a reused theme from an earlier ep (the glass makers) so i found this one to be a little redundant. They also go into how everything is different, even if they're from the same place. it all wraps together well, but it isn't one of the better episodes. also, we get a bit of foreshadowing with Alicia, since in the first few eps there has been talk about "meeting with the association."

not much else to say about this episode... next time, we get ep 4, which is one of my favorite eps.

Old 2011-06-10, 05:07   Link #1392
Dop
We can't stop here...

Sad news for ARIA fans. First we lost Eri Kawai, now Tomoko Kawakami has passed away. (ANN)
Dop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 06:42   Link #1393
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Very sad news indeed

She was younger than Eri Kawai at the time of her death...
Old 2012-06-21, 08:06   Link #1394
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

So, a particular plot bunny that wouldn't leave my head a while ago just got evicted as a written Zero no Tsukaima x Aria crossover story (I'm still wondering how that came about ). And now I find myself rewatching the entire Aria series once again. How wonderf-

*this comment was prohibited*

Rewatching it does bring to attention some stuff I overlooked the first time around though, like the presence of two other Undine companies alongside Aria, Himeya and Orange Planet. I remember that they supposedly have entries in the Monthly Undine issues, unfortunately I haven't been able to find any live links on getting said magazines.

Back to watching I guess...

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-21, 08:51   Link #1395
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I've also been rewatching the entire series lately. I've been feeling depressed, so I decided to watch an Aria episode before going to sleep on week days. It's helped me relax quite a bit.

There are also lots of stuff I had either overlooked or forgotten. I really feel like I'm rediscovering Aria and its wonderful and profound mystery.

I've realized Man Home is most likely a huge polluted shit hole. You can't swim in the ocean, can't play in the dirt and can't eat the food... winters aren't even cold anymore. Gee, no wonder everybody wants to come to Aqua (well, I want to go there too...).

I was complaining that we never got to see a grown-up Alice, and yesterday when watching episode 12 of the animation, I noticed we did see her. Or rather, her ancestor. She looked pretty good.
Old 2012-06-21, 14:19   Link #1396
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I've realized Man Home is most likely a huge polluted shit hole. You can't swim in the ocean, can't play in the dirt and can't eat the food... winters aren't even cold anymore. Gee, no wonder everybody wants to come to Aqua (well, I want to go there too...).
I don't know about can't eat the food. Man-Home apparently isn't that much of a shit hole that people don't want to live there anymore, since Neo-Venezia still exports goods and luxuries to there. I can imagine that it's pretty much a huge urbanation though, where everything and most anything is artificial, and where programs and simulations are the only things where you can get the feel of "nature" - perfect for city-slickers. Besides, Man-Home still looks like a blue planet in Animation ep 1, so it's not like it's a bombed-out irradiated rock ala Yamato

... and now I'm reminded of this image.

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
Old 2012-06-21, 15:25   Link #1397
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
I've also been rewatching the entire series lately. I've been feeling depressed, so I decided to watch an Aria episode before going to sleep on week days. It's helped me relax quite a bit.
I keep the series at hand to do the same whenever I feel down after a not so great day and it helps so much.

I too got the idea that the state of "Man-home" on the Aria universe is surprisingly depressing with the old Venice completely submerged, people unable to swim in the water amongst other things. It's sad really.

On a brighter (but not that much) note: am I the only one who can't help but re-watch the final Origination episode just to catch a glimpse of grown-up Ai-chan? I want my Aria sequel with Ai-chan as the main damn it!

Last edited by Dextro; 2012-06-21 at 15:43. Reason: For emphasis
Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-21, 15:28   Link #1398
Flower
Cute as a button! ^^

No - you are absolutely NOT alone in such a desire!
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-21, 15:43   Link #1399
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I keep the series at hand to do the same whenever I feel down after a not so great day and it helps so much.

I too got the idea that the state of "Man-home" on the Aria universe is surprisingly depressing with the old Venice completely submerged, people unable to swim in the water amongst other things. It's sad really.
Not swim in natural bodies of water maybe, but Akari does mention that she had swam in a pool on Manhome once. So it's not so polluted as to be unusable given sufficient water filtration facilities, but access to natural water sites might be restricted either for reasons of contamination or preservation.

(It kinda feels strange trying to analyze the background of Aria in this manner... must've spent too much time in Spacebattles...)

Quote:
On a brighter (but not that much) note: am I the only one who can't help but re-watch the final Origination episode just to catch a glimpse of grown-up Ai-chan? I want my Aria sequel with Ai-chan as the main!
Ai-chan has been one of my odd favorites in Aria, and seeing her all grown up as a Pair in the ending was quite lovely

And we all would like an Ai-centric sequel don't we, alongside adult Akari, Aika and Alice-sama

Although my own fic research has me scratching my head a few times now on the rewatch... is Ai's hair green or brown? It's brown the first few episodes you see her, then gains a distinctly greenish tint up to the epilogue.

Old 2012-06-21, 16:23   Link #1400
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Her hair has always looked green to me. A very dark green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I want my Aria sequel with Ai-chan as the main damn it!
We all do, my friend. We all do

Speaking of Ai, how exactly did she make it into the manga? Is she a character Amano-sensei created for the anime with the intention of using her later in the manga, or is she an anime original character she found so endearing she decided to have her appear in the manga? Either way, Ai showing up as Akari's apprentice truly made for a perfect ending.

Tags
hal, sci-fi, slice of life