AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-11-06, 08:05   Link #1
Kabuto Maniac
animeichi

BitTorrent is drawing attention

OMG! This is quite worrying news if you ask me... I hope it won't get to the point that even unlicensed things can't be downloaded anymore!
Old 2004-11-06, 08:32   Link #2
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
Well, it's illegal to begin with and I doubt p2p networks, exchanging copyrighted goods this freely, will have a long existence. The worst case would be heavy laws and regulations on the internet and companies who use this control to extend their monopoly. The best case scenario would be an open internet with commercial and free services where an open market and the resulting competition would keep the internet lively and innovative.
An Internet as an everything-goes zone where intellectual properties are exchanged freely against the consent of the author won't be the future. Can't be.
Old 2004-11-06, 08:59   Link #3
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

The thing i find most amusing about the entire article is that they say that Bittorrent is "bad" for this and that...yet they provide a link to the official site to download said program....then they tell everybody the address to one of the "best" torrent sites there is -_-

so now everybody that reads the article has a means of getting said movies/shows/games/etc/etc even if they never ever knew about bittorrent before...

you'd think that they'd at least try to hold back some info...all that's doing is giving more publicity to said torrent site which will in turn increase torrent traffic a lot more...

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"®

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 10:23   Link #4
Yuiichi
Retired.

I don't think the article said that Bittorrent is in itself bad, but the things that people are doing with it are bad.

For example, lets take Suprnova and Animesuki. Suprnova has illegal content: hollywood movies, games, even OS's. Animesuki has all unlicenced anime, making it legal for us to download.

The legal status is different for every person, i guess, depending on what they do with it. If you only download content that is legal, you're not doing anything bad, and all is good. If you continuously rip off companies, then it's not all good, and bittorrent might have to be "put down".

Just be careful what you are using it for.
Old 2004-11-06, 10:33   Link #5
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuiichi
Animesuki has all unlicenced anime, making it legal for us to download.
Lol, actually...it's still as illegal to d/l unlicensed anime...it's just that japanese companies won't usually go after bt users since it'll take up too much time and resources (including money)

but some american companies are already well aware of bt and from what i read have already taken action...i forget which american movie company it was but they go after people using bt who download their movies...i think it was Universal Studio's and another company...but i can't remember exactly...so this isn't so much new news...but seeing bittorrents rapid popularity growth has made some "higher" people more aware...

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF

- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Old 2004-11-06, 11:38   Link #6
LynnieS

I believe the U.S. movie industry has already decided to go after those downloading illegal versions of their movies using the same methods that RIAA (think this is the abbreviation?) had pioneered.

Excerpted from an article available on WSJ.com:

Quote:
The Motion Picture Association of America said yesterday that its members plan to begin filing copyright-infringement suits against individuals who trade illegal digital copies of movies online. The music industry has filed thousands of such suits in the past year, with mixed results. But timing, circumstances and the complicated nature of trading movies online may give Hollywood better odds.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 13:01   Link #7
Ending

Which will bring resentment and loss of support for the industry. Personally I try to warez when I can, having a very clean consience afterwards when knowing that RIAA will have that money back after suing several private persons. I read from somewhere that 80%, 80%!, of those cases end up for their favour, charges being between 5,000-50,000 dollars. Think about it: 500 people, 5,000 dollars per head -doesn't that feel a lot like highway-robbery?

The worst part is that even some european associsations have begun to take example.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 16:09   Link #8
Kabuto Maniac
animeichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
The thing i find most amusing about the entire article is that they say that Bittorrent is "bad" for this and that...yet they provide a link to the official site to download said program....then they tell everybody the address to one of the "best" torrent sites there is -_-

so now everybody that reads the article has a means of getting said movies/shows/games/etc/etc even if they never ever knew about bittorrent before...

you'd think that they'd at least try to hold back some info...all that's doing is giving more publicity to said torrent site which will in turn increase torrent traffic a lot more...
well, they don't say that bittorrent is actually bad, and in addition to that, they never said that they were against bittorrent, just that hollywood and other companies were. to me, it all sounds a little ironic, as if those reporters freely used bittorrent themselves, and almost encouraged other people to use it too.

I actually came across this page through a hyperlink on a dutch internet-provider site (http://www.hccnet.nl), and that article was even worse: they actually told how to download bittorrent, what you had to do, where you could find torrents (legal as well as illegal) and furthermore, they said something like: 'if you are using bittorrent for legal purposes you have nothing to fear, for bittorrent is not yet an illegal program. but for all of you who use it illegally: don't be afraid: the chances that you will be caught are so unbelievably small that you can freely continue without a troubled mind." (I know it was a little different, but the "for those of you who..." and "you can freely go on" parts: they were really there). I'm not saying anything bad about it: just that you shouldn't take the writers of those articles to serious...
Old 2004-11-06, 16:57   Link #9
Forse
r00t for life

Well I think BitTorrent is great to distribute large files to large masses. If bittorrent gets shut down (not possible but still let's play an imaginary game) then we'll move to dchubs, emule, kad etc. Nothing will change, just method we use to get warez.

I do agree that we need to be more careful about privacy and such (who wants to get sued for $$$). I started to use http://waste.sourceforge.net/ which offers great ways to prevent bad people from coming to your “hub” and getting your ip. Waste also encrypts ALL traffic so even if ISP is looking at your traffic they won’t see anything.

Anyway interesting article
Old 2004-11-06, 17:51   Link #10
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

And BitTorrent is the only P2P system that actually is used legally on a large scale. Blizzard uses it do distribute their files and used it for the WOW betatest. Many download sites providing previews and demos are using it, too. It may not always be called BitTorrent but if you read the description you can see that there are many uses of a modified BitTorrent sytem or at least a smiliar one.
Old 2004-11-07, 03:48   Link #11
jeeves

how does the RIAA track down individual BT users? i know for p2p networks like kazaa it's a lot easier. but there are also ways to block bad IP ranges. is there such a thing for BT? i am currently using ABC as my BT client...
jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 04:27   Link #12
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Azureus has a SafePeer plugin you can get from the official homepage and that will update the lists automatically for you.
But IP filters are pretty useless, IMHO. If the RIAA wants to fuck your head they can get themselves an IP from a normal ISP without any trouble.
Old 2004-11-08, 06:15   Link #13
tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeves
how does the RIAA track down individual BT users? i know for p2p networks like kazaa it's a lot easier. but there are also ways to block bad IP ranges. is there such a thing for BT? i am currently using ABC as my BT client...
You could run something like Protowall along with the Blocklist Manager.

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/index.php
tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 06:44   Link #14
tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_layer
Azureus has a SafePeer plugin you can get from the official homepage and that will update the lists automatically for you.
But IP filters are pretty useless, IMHO. If the RIAA wants to fuck your head they can get themselves an IP from a normal ISP without any trouble.
If the lists worked with ip's like a firewall works with ports, it should block everything by default. Then let the user make adjustments to allow in certain ip addresses or ranges of ip addresses. But they don't work that way normally.
tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-09, 19:15   Link #15
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

35% of all internet traffic?

I "found" this quote sometime last week; I think it was just after listening to a news program on Radio 4.
I've been meaning to post to see if anyone else heard / read it and what they thought of the statistic
... but I've been off the forum for a few days:
Quote:
According to British Web analysis firm CacheLogic, BitTorrent accounts for an astounding 35 percent of all the traffic on the Internet -- more than all other peer-to-peer programs combined -- and dwarfs mainstream traffic like Web pages
Reuters LONDON
I knew it had grown in popularity, but wow ... 35% was quite a surprise

Thanks Superchop ^_^

Last edited by NightWish; 2004-11-10 at 14:10.
NightWish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-09, 21:45   Link #16
Forse
r00t for life

I must say that nova had a lot to do with bt getting popular. BT is great to distro large files to large masses even blizzard realized that and now uses modded bt client to distro betas.
Old 2004-11-09, 21:53   Link #17
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Hmm...in the "Bittorrent attracting too much attention" thread at least that's what i think it was named...it had a link to an article that said something like that (if not that exact quote)

although i thought it was a bit more in that article...but nonetheless...it really is amazing how a simple program like BT could gain all the popularity it did in the short time that i remembered it to be around...

but the only drawback i can think of is taht since it takes up that much traffic...it'll be more likely that more and more companies will start to monitor bt sites...which may or may not be a good thing...

--EDIT--

k, found the thread (linked below) and i reread the article...and it was 35%

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23385

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF

- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Old 2004-11-09, 22:31   Link #18
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The number seems a little high to me, and at the same time it's something of a misleading statistic to compare it to webpages or regular peer to peer connections. Since BT forces sharing, let's say that you're theoretically uploading the same amount that you download (ideally; the ratio of up:down varies with the connection and how generous the people are feeling). That alone doubles what would have been transferred using a website or a P2P program. It makes it sound like an overwhelming number of people are using it by comparing it with websites and P2P programs, but it's harder to tell than that, I think
Old 2004-11-10, 00:11   Link #19
Lefteris_D

Piracy is pupular so that number does not come as a suprice to me.
Old 2004-11-10, 00:52   Link #20
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
The number seems a little high to me, and at the same time it's something of a misleading statistic to compare it to webpages or regular peer to peer connections. Since BT forces sharing, let's say that you're theoretically uploading the same amount that you download (ideally; the ratio of up:down varies with the connection and how generous the people are feeling). That alone doubles what would have been transferred using a website or a P2P program. It makes it sound like an overwhelming number of people are using it by comparing it with websites and P2P programs, but it's harder to tell than that, I think
Wrong. Think of it this way.
  • Kazaa: 10 people download 100Mb each from a single source.

That's a total of 1000MB downloaded.

Meanwhile the source uploads 1000MB to everyone.

• BT: 10 people each download 100MB (there is 1 seed), while uploading 80MB to other peers.

They still all download a total of 1000MB.

The difference is that the seed uploads merely 200MB while the others share the remaining 800MB of upload. 200MB + 800MB = 1000MB total upload.
In each case 1000MB is uploaded and 1000MB is downloaded. The difference is who is the distribution of the uploading and downloading while the total traffic remains the same.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote