AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-02-17, 05:37   Link #181
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Compared to what? It beats Mazinger's story but is it better than 00 or 8th MS?
im comparing it to Endless Waltz as Gundam Wing the series has more comprehensive story, its standalone
but ill still like Endless Waltz more as i like good quality animation

but for your comparison i already forgot about Mazinger i think i just saw GranDizer back in the 90's when it was shown in TV and im a kid at that time and cannot comprehend good, but ye gundam wing is better than 00 that is my opinion, and i dropped 8th MS Team after seeing 3 episodes it bores me
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 17:43   Link #182
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe
The reason why everyone likes Gundam Wing..?

Yaoi.

For some bizarre reason that I will probably never understand, Gundam Wing, a show about war and politics, managed to inspire hundreds of thousands of yaoi fics. Heck, GW yaoi stuff once was so popular that people wrote it without having seen the friggin' show.


And then, there are the fans. Personally, I like GW because it's different, unique. It has badass characters, cool plot, awesome designs and even more awesome music. What makes it special to me though is its enormous subtlety and how it handles its female characters.
Seriously, I can't think of another shounen series in which both male and female characters are equally as badass. There's always going to be some ditz or damsel in distress somewhere. In Wing there is no such person. Even if Relena never pilots a MS or dunno, steals an ambulance by bursting through the car's window and knocking out the driver in one go, she is no less awesome than Heero. He even says so himself. And don't get me started on people like Dorothy, Sally or Noin.

Now that I mention Dorothy, I'd also like to note GW's humor. Seriously, forked eyebrows? Treize already had me snort but when I first saw Dorothy I was rolling on the floor. xD
Yet, despite looking utterly ridiculous they both manage to pull off 'classy badass' extraordinarily well. The reason no one in the series ever addresses those hilarious eyebrows is because they know those two can rip their head off with their pinky. All in a very elegant manner.
Or Heero. The idiot is on a secret mission, meaning he ought to lay low but what does he do? Go and rip up the most popular girl's invitation in front of everyone and give a new meaning to the phrase 'shove it' to a classmate by sticking a broken saber right into his face. In front of everyone. And then he has the nerve to tell Duo he's drawing too much attention. Dude!

Duo puts it best; it's always the quiet guys who do things the flashiest way. One has to love Heero's and Trowa's attitude though. Attention whores lol.

Digressing... But that's the subtlety I like so much. While other people may hate it, I like the fact that I have to dig around in Wing to see things. Wing is well thought-out and it shows. One-dimensional characters my foot. There are hints everywhere. Take Wu Fei for example; he comes off as a complete jerk in the series but grab a copy of Episode Zero and suddenly he's very sympathetic. Or sit down and understand the plot and you'll realize why Heero tells Relena she is more amazing than him. And while we're at it, the way romantic relationships are handled is actually very refreshing. Personally, I perceive Heero's and Relena's parting scene on Libra to be far more powerful than any other 'couple scene' I have seen in other Gundam series so far.
I dunno, I guess I'm just fond of things not being shoved in my face.

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2011-05-10 at 13:30.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 18:46   Link #183
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elpis Colony, Jaburo, The hanger, Texas, Alkard
Age: 23
When i first watched it i thought the gundams were awesome , till Tallgeese appeared , but I didn't like Wing as much as the Original Gundam when it was broadcast on cartoon net work coincidentally when i first saw Zechs Merquise I thought Char (But this was a year before Mobile Suit Gundam aired) i used to call Zechs sometimes That Char Guy (and this was before i learned about Char Aznables great existence)
__________________
Dragonar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 19:40   Link #184
Amuroray
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Age: 21
Gundam wing is a awful anime with 2-d characters,overpowered mobile suits,AWFUL plot and bad animation.
Amuroray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 09:22   Link #185
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuroray View Post
Gundam wing is a awful anime with 2-d characters,overpowered mobile suits,AWFUL plot and bad animation.
Well, that's your opinion.

I'm not too surprised by your comment, which came from someone who's pro-UC.
__________________
Washu-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 14:46   Link #186
JC...
I am a Pie
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In a fantasy.
I tried to watch Wing, but I really didn't like it, I'm not UC elitist, but I really don't like the character designs and their clothes, nor do I like the Gundam/MS designs (Aside from the Epyon). The story seems alright, but I didn't really connect to the characters much and it didn't feel as 'real' to me as UC and 00, even Seed (Though I've not finished that either).

I guess it's because it was aired on US channels, and it probably got most of the current fans into Gundam.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 14:54   Link #187
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
Well, that's your opinion.

I'm not too surprised by your comment, which came from someone who's pro-UC.
Not liking GW shouldn't have anything to do with liking MSG. They're two different series. Judging one based on the other is silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuroray View Post
Gundam wing is a awful anime with 2-d characters,overpowered mobile suits,AWFUL plot and bad animation.
Opinions differ. I will agree that the Gundam pilots may appear flat if one has only seen the series. A huge chunk of characterization is indeed hidden in Episode Zero. And of course they're 2-D, they're drawn, after all.
As for the MS, or rather Gundams, being overpowered, does it not make sense? If you're trying to take down an entire military organization with only five suits, or better say one suit (because each pilot initially wasn't aware there were others), of course you will make sure that it has the capability to fight numerous battles without having to be repaired all the time. How stupid would that be otherwise? Besides, it's not like they didn't get their butts kicked.
The plot is a matter of preference. Either you like it or not. I find it to be intriguing because it's not the 'overpowered Gundams' that drive it forward but the less flashy yet still as awesome folks that fight in the political arena. And as far as the animation goes, personally, I think the remastered version is pretty neat.

I tip my hat to JC... who voiced an honest opinion and legitimate reasons. Connecting to the characters is hard if you don't go looking for it and realism is gone out the window the very first episode. Heero's ambulance hijack does make for a good laugh though.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 15:00   Link #188
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Not liking GW shouldn't have anything to do with liking MSG. They're two different series. Judging one based on the other is silly.
Don't try to argue with Amuro, as soon as you state you like another series, he will pretty much shut you down with some random, pointless pro-UC crap.

Talking to him is like pissing on a pile of shit, it serves no point except adding to the general mess of things.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Tak; 2011-05-10 at 17:07.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 16:58   Link #189
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Opinions differ. I will agree that the Gundam pilots may appear flat if one has only seen the series. A huge chunk of characterization is indeed hidden in Episode Zero. And of course they're 2-D, they're drawn, after all.
As for the MS, or rather Gundams, being overpowered, does it not make sense? If you're trying to take down an entire military organization with only five suits, or better say one suit (because each pilot initially wasn't aware there were others), of course you will make sure that it has the capability to fight numerous battles without having to be repaired all the time. How stupid would that be otherwise? Besides, it's not like they didn't get their butts kicked.
The plot is a matter of preference. Either you like it or not. I find it to be intriguing because it's not the 'overpowered Gundams' that drive it forward but the less flashy yet still as awesome folks that fight in the political arena. And as far as the animation goes, personally, I think the remastered version is pretty neat.
Great point.

I've frequently seen critics bash the political aspects of the series but like you said, it's what truly drove much of the series and the creators handled it well in my opinion.
__________________
Elo the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 17:08   Link #190
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Great point.

I've frequently seen critics bash the political aspects of the series but like you said, it's what truly drove much of the series and the creators handled it well in my opinion.
I have to admit tho, once I saw feathers, I felt a little let-down... it just seem out of place.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 17:31   Link #191
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I have to admit tho, once I saw feathers, I felt a little let-down... it just seem out of place.

- Tak
The feathers were for artistic effect. What was completely ridiculous though was Wing Zero flapping its wings to fly forward. The suit would've moved anywhere but forward.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 17:36   Link #192
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
The feathers were for artistic effect.
Yeah, thus out of place. Of all the seriousness in Wing, I suddenly get... feathers and worse... flappin' wings!

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 17:58   Link #193
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elpis Colony, Jaburo, The hanger, Texas, Alkard
Age: 23
I may be contradicting

I still think the cannon fodder & Uncommon suits is slightly more logical than the Gundams themselves, but eh that explained why i like Tallgeese, better
__________________
Dragonar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 18:03   Link #194
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Yeah, thus out of place. Of all the seriousness in Wing, I suddenly get... feathers and worse... flappin' wings!

- Tak
Well, HeavyArms had a clown's mask and Sandrock a cloak, for whatever reason. And let's not forget Miss forked eyebrows with her golden truck. Oh and that shrimp of a wannabe dictator.
Now that I think about it, those guys must've had a heck of a time poking fun at the series. GW's serious nature just makes it all the funnier. I mean, c'mon, who can take being ruled by a prime-schooler seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonar Fan View Post
I still think the cannon fodder & Uncommon suits is slightly more logical than the Gundams themselves, but eh that explained why i like Tallgeese, better
I'm sorry, I don't understand your point. Which ones do you mean with 'uncommon suits'? And why would they make more sense than the Gundams?
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 18:06   Link #195
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonar Fan View Post
I still think the cannon fodder & Uncommon suits is slightly more logical than the Gundams themselves, but eh that explained why i like Tallgeese, better
I agree. The Grunt suits in WING were superb, and definitely ones I am very proud to collect. Fodders as they were, they were designed to look as if they serve some practical purpose, and not just there to make Gundams shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Well, HeavyArms had a clown's mask and Sandrock a cloak, for whatever reason. And let's not forget Miss forked eyebrows with her golden truck. Oh and that shrimp of a wannabe dictator.
Now that I think about it, those guys must've had a heck of a time poking fun at the series. GW's serious nature just makes it all the funnier. I mean, c'mon, who can take being ruled by a prime-schooler seriously?
Those moments pretty much ruined the overall serious atmosphere of WING, but I suppose it could be worse, for example, having a giant teddy-bear taking out entire city blocks worth of...

Oh wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
I'm sorry, I don't understand your point. Which ones do you mean with 'uncommon suits'? And why would they make more sense than the Gundams?
Tall Geese, for example, is an uncommon suit. Just as the SAZABI from UC is uncommon. They do not follow the standard Gundam outline.

That, and they don't have stupid accessories, like a cloak or mask.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 18:41   Link #196
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Well, HeavyArms had a clown's mask and Sandrock a cloak, for whatever reason. And let's not forget Miss forked eyebrows with her golden truck. Oh and that shrimp of a wannabe dictator.
Now that I think about it, those guys must've had a heck of a time poking fun at the series. GW's serious nature just makes it all the funnier. I mean, c'mon, who can take being ruled by a prime-schooler seriously?
As outlandish as they seemed, I actually liked the mask for Heavyarms and Sandrock's cloak.

Dorothy's trucks on standby in EW was just ridiculously stupid. I can't defend the that all.

Mariemaia was merely a figurehead and we've seen examples of those in real-world history. Even Romefeller attempted to use Relena as a figurehead but didn't anticipate her having such a major influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I agree. The Grunt suits in WING were superb, and definitely ones I am very proud to collect. Fodders as they were, they were designed to look as if they serve some practical purpose, and not just there to make Gundams shine.
- Tak
I couldn't agree more.
__________________
Elo the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 18:45   Link #197
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
The mask is a reference to his time spent in the circus.

Natch.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 18:47   Link #198
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
The mask is a reference to his time spent in the circus.

Natch.
That's pretty obvious.
__________________
Elo the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 18:51   Link #199
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
That's pretty obvious.
It was in response to the comments on it being "out of place" and "whatever reason". All in all, even if it doesn't serve any practical purpose, it still has symbolic value.

Natch.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 18:59   Link #200
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
It was in response to the comments on it being "out of place" and "whatever reason". All in all, even if it doesn't serve any practical purpose, it still has symbolic value.

Natch.
Ah, you're right.
__________________
Elo the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.