AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-11, 08:38   Link #201
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
The feathers were for artistic effect. What was completely ridiculous though was Wing Zero flapping its wings to fly forward. The suit would've moved anywhere but forward.
If they're complaining about this, they might as well complain about the following:
  • The V2 Gundam's Wings of Light in V Gundam
  • Turn A Gundam's Moonlight Butterfly
  • Destiny Gundam's Wings of Light equivalent
__________________
Washu-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 09:06   Link #202
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
If they're complaining about this, they might as well complain about the following:
  • The V2 Gundam's Wings of Light in V Gundam
  • Turn A Gundam's Moonlight Butterfly
  • Destiny Gundam's Wings of Light equivalent
There is a difference between flappin' feathers and what appears to be obvious particle emission.

Again, having feathers to me is like having a giant teddy bear taking down QuanT in a fist fight, and expect me to take it seriously. I have a limited tolerance for inconsistent artistic expression.

- Tak
__________________
Come join the fun, you know you want to!

World of Tanks/Planes: Tankers, Pilots, Sailors! JOIN US!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Tak; 2011-05-11 at 09:41.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 10:08   Link #203
kakakka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I thought the wings were neat, even today. If anything, I'm more bothered by Nataku's long arms.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 14:10   Link #204
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Again, having feathers to me is like having a giant teddy bear taking down QuanT in a fist fight, and expect me to take it seriously. I have a limited tolerance for inconsistent artistic expression.
Well, it was only one scene. It's not like he's having Sailor Moon moments all the time. Unless you mean Wing Zero's wings in general. Personally, I like the redesigns, especially Sandrock's. But to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Mariemaia was merely a figurehead and we've seen examples of those in real-world history. Even Romefeller attempted to use Relena as a figurehead but didn't anticipate her having such a major influence.
You're right. I know ages in GW generally don't mean a thing. I was still amused in Mariemaia's case though because when she told Relena she was responsible for her abduction, Relena was sort of like '...are you kidding me?'. Maybe the difference in height made it look that way to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
It was in response to the comments on it being "out of place" and "whatever reason". All in all, even if it doesn't serve any practical purpose, it still has symbolic value.

Natch.
Yup, just like it doesn't make much sense to have a beam scythe. It's all done for the symbolism and GW is chock-full of it. It still makes one wonder where Trowa got that mask...
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 01:31   Link #205
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elpis Colony, Jaburo, The hanger, Texas, Alkard
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I agree. The Grunt suits in WING were superb, and definitely ones I am very proud to collect. Fodders as they were, they were designed to look as if they serve some practical purpose, and not just there to make Gundams shine.



Those moments pretty much ruined the overall serious atmosphere of WING, but I suppose it could be worse, for example, having a giant teddy-bear taking out entire city blocks worth of...

Oh wait...



Tall Geese, for example, is an uncommon suit. Just as the SAZABI from UC is uncommon. They do not follow the standard Gundam outline.

That, and they don't have stupid accessories, like a cloak or mask.

- Tak
I actually think some Cannon Fodder Suits like The Tragos & Aires deserved at least a resin kit or something like that , but at least im grateful they had the Leo & Maguanac MSiAs, but also to one slight extent the designs go back to why some Helmets & Armor looked fearsome , the same could be said of Dragonars Gilgazamune (Armed to the teeth , Biosensor,Large size, Samurai based design, huge sword) to an extent
__________________
Dragonar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 11:07   Link #206
Araxiel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
I will agree that the Gundam pilots may appear flat if one has only seen the series. A huge chunk of characterization is indeed hidden in Episode Zero.
One could make the perfectly legitimate point that having the majority of the main characters' characterisation hidden away in an 'Episode Zero' that didn't seem to be on general release is an awful, awful way to avoid them seeming undeveloped.

That aside, I do like Wing because, as with most people, it was what got me into Gundam [actually, what got me into mecha and anime in general] when it was on TV back in the 90s. Tallgeese. Very much Tallgeese.

Also to weigh in on an earlier point; whenever I mention Gundam generally, the response is usually 'oh, Gundam Wing?' That's not to say the people I know prefer Wing to other Gundam shows; as far as they know, 'Gundam Wing' is just what the entire franchise is called. And I hang out with animation students and my university's anime club.
__________________
Araxiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 15:04   Link #207
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zeon
Age: 23
Why I like Gundam Wing ?

Well because of Tallgeese, Tallgeese and Tallgeese
__________________
King Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 16:27   Link #208
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
But awesome grunt model kits aside, every time I watch Wing (which is very rare), I wanted to beat the fu@%#^$ @#%! out of Heero. That kid frustrates me to no end. SHOW SOME LIFE mutha@#%*$&!!!!

Whenever Heero shows up on screen, it reminds me of a bad meal I had, that at the end, I wondered how the hell I managed to finish the whole thing?

I don't even want to get into Setsuna's case, but I think Allelujah Haptism sucked the life out of him and became half-insane as a result.

- Tak
__________________
Come join the fun, you know you want to!

World of Tanks/Planes: Tankers, Pilots, Sailors! JOIN US!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 16:34   Link #209
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 26
It's like Duo said, Heero should just stop trying to pretend he's human.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 18:15   Link #210
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elpis Colony, Jaburo, The hanger, Texas, Alkard
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxiel View Post
One could make the perfectly legitimate point that having the majority of the main characters' characterisation hidden away in an 'Episode Zero' that didn't seem to be on general release is an awful, awful way to avoid them seeming undeveloped.

That aside, I do like Wing because, as with most people, it was what got me into Gundam [actually, what got me into mecha and anime in general] when it was on TV back in the 90s. Tallgeese. Very much Tallgeese.

Also to weigh in on an earlier point; whenever I mention Gundam generally, the response is usually 'oh, Gundam Wing?' That's not to say the people I know prefer Wing to other Gundam shows; as far as they know, 'Gundam Wing' is just what the entire franchise is called. And I hang out with animation students and my university's anime club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
Why I like Gundam Wing ?

Well because of Tallgeese, Tallgeese and Tallgeese
Whoo im not the only one who felt the same about this ,
__________________
Dragonar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 08:09   Link #211
Araxiel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge
You know what? Let's just all sit back and appreciate Tallgeese for a moment.
__________________
Araxiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 14:38   Link #212
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zeon
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxiel View Post
You know what? Let's just all sit back and appreciate Tallgeese for a moment.
Yes and the fact that we didn't get an legit Wing Vs Tallgeese battle or Epyon vs Tallgeese
__________________
King Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 19:12   Link #213
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
But awesome grunt model kits aside, every time I watch Wing (which is very rare), I wanted to beat the fu@%#^$ @#%! out of Heero. That kid frustrates me to no end. SHOW SOME LIFE mutha@#%*$&!!!!

Whenever Heero shows up on screen, it reminds me of a bad meal I had, that at the end, I wondered how the hell I managed to finish the whole thing?

I don't even want to get into Setsuna's case, but I think Allelujah Haptism sucked the life out of him and became half-insane as a result.

- Tak


It wasn't often but Heero showed emotion a number of times in the series.
__________________
Elo the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 21:43   Link #214
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post


It wasn't often but Heero showed emotion a number of times in the series.
Heero once said that the best way to live life is to act on your emotions.
__________________
Washu-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 23:05   Link #215
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zeon
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
Heero once said that the best way to live life is to act on your emotions.
That was the only time Trowa laughed also
__________________
King Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 23:07   Link #216
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
That was the only time Trowa laughed also
Trowa laughed in response to what Heero said on what self-destructing his Gundam felt like:

"It hurts like hell."
__________________
Washu-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 13:32   Link #217
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxiel View Post
One could make the perfectly legitimate point that having the majority of the main characters' characterisation hidden away in an 'Episode Zero' that didn't seem to be on general release is an awful, awful way to avoid them seeming undeveloped.
Characterization wasn't the right word, I meant back story. It's not like they act any differently in the series, Epizode Zero just explains why they are the way they are. As such one can't say that there's no depth to the characters, it's just that the explanation is missing. After all, Duo wears no less priest clothes in the series, Episode Zero or no.
Also, as far as I know their back stories were supposed to be animated but production was a mess, so they didn't. If one considers that we get the actual second opening of GW one episode before the finale, I believe it's true. There are also more than enough nods to Episode Zero before episodes 27 and 28 (where it was supposed to be). As such, I'd argue it not seeming to be on general release. Heck, we even get nods to it in EW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
But awesome grunt model kits aside, every time I watch Wing (which is very rare), I wanted to beat the fu@%#^$ @#%! out of Heero. That kid frustrates me to no end. SHOW SOME LIFE mutha@#%*$&!!!!
Spoiler for in response:


And he loves throwing hissy fits. "I shouldn't have opened my parachute!", "Why can't I kill her?!", "This was a miserable mission! I totally messed up!" :V
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 14:56   Link #218
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Gundam wing have the coolest gundams.

/thread
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 06:03   Link #219
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
part of the reason i like gundam SEED i guess...

i just grew up and got attached to it, you know...like pokemon
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 16:23   Link #220
Revolutionist
Puppet Master
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Behind You
Why?
Treize Kushrenada
__________________
I cannot give you back your homes, or restore your dead to life, but perhaps I can give you justice, in the name of our King. ~ Ned Stark
Revolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.