AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-10, 15:22   Link #8121
Dorfl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The dog gossips too much.
Right, I just remembered, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I agree that the Greece/Athena arc was the highlight of the series, but I think everyone has also been spoiled by it. Before it, Hayate never really had an overarching plot to it. It was always about the over-the-top, 4th wall breaking slice of life comedy. Now that there is a direction and a destination, people can't go back.
You can't really blame us for that. If you feed someone hamburgers for a while and they like it, and then you feed them Kobe steak for a couple of months, they're not going to want to go back to hamburgers again. "What? But you used to like hamburgers!" "Well my tastes have matured now, hand over dem steaks!"
__________________
Dorfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 20:30   Link #8122
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I've just read the latest chapter, and I thought it was rather funny, especially the ending. In fact, I cannot recall the last time HnG made me laugh this much. I think this was a rather good chapter.
I really love how Ayumu's simplicity tends to solve things. I seriously love that girl.

Anyway, gentlemen:
Spoiler:
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 21:52   Link #8123
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I agree, it's a fun chapter.

Quote:
I really love how Ayumu's simplicity tends to solve things. I seriously love that girl.
Spoiler:


I'm not sure at this point if this is going to end up an improvement or a disaster...
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 04:19   Link #8124
Dorfl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The dog gossips too much.
The slight progress Nagi is making with her manga is cancelled out by Hayate's persistent refusal to tell Luca the truth. This shtick was old 50 chapters ago.
__________________
Dorfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 21:46   Link #8125
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
The slight progress Nagi is making with her manga is cancelled out by Hayate's persistent refusal to tell Luca the truth. This shtick was old 50 chapters ago.
Eh, it's only been about 20ish chapters since the misunderstanding started, and maybe 7 of them where's it been relevant. I know you dislike the subplot on principle, but Hayate has only met Luca like twice (And same day both times.) since he first saved her. By this manga's standards it hasn't nearly been overplayed yet.

Last edited by madmac; 2011-05-11 at 23:08.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 00:55   Link #8126
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I also think Hayate's reason make sense. He has indeed seen her naked and made her believe he was a girl. There are far too many things that could go wrong if Luca learns about the truth, and Hayate is trying to keep the lie, because he's not expecting her to be around him for too long.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 01:08   Link #8127
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
The slight progress Nagi is making with her manga is cancelled out by Hayate's persistent refusal to tell Luca the truth. This shtick was old 50 chapters ago.
That can't happen before they've taken a bath together, and maybe groped each other's chest.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 05:45   Link #8128
Dorfl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The dog gossips too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I also think Hayate's reason make sense. He has indeed seen her naked and made her believe he was a girl. There are far too many things that could go wrong if Luca learns about the truth, and Hayate is trying to keep the lie, because he's not expecting her to be around him for too long.
Why isn't he expecting her to be around for long? She's a good friend of Chiharu's, she knows where he lives and now she's all buddy-buddy with Nagi. I'd argue for telling her the truth even sooner, before one of them inadvertently spills the beans.
__________________
Dorfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 07:46   Link #8129
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Why isn't he expecting her to be around for long? She's a good friend of Chiharu's, she knows where he lives and now she's all buddy-buddy with Nagi. I'd argue for telling her the truth even sooner, before one of them inadvertently spills the beans.
Sure, but these are all things he only knows now, after the most recent time he ran into her. Before she dropped in on Nagi he had no idea how deep a hole he was digging for himself.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 09:30   Link #8130
Dorfl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The dog gossips too much.
Which is why instead of trying to borrow Hina's clothes, he should be heading into this meeting to tell the truth. This little shtick is not funny, it's not interesting and it's not leading anywhere (that I want to go) so it's pissing me off.
__________________
Dorfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 09:42   Link #8131
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Which is why instead of trying to borrow Hina's clothes, he should be heading into this meeting to tell the truth.
I know where you're coming from, but still, you're oversimplifying things. The obvious implication from how this chapter ended is that there's something in the message he received that's making him not want to tell Luca yet. He just got done telling Hina he intended to tell her, after all. Probably because she's feeling vulnerable and reaching out to him to cheer her up.

Besides, even he was going to tell her, it would be kind of hugely dickish for Hayate to just turn up in his normal clothes and be all "I'm a man dammit! Leave me alone!"

At this point he's let things go so far over his head that he really doesn't have a nice or easy way to break it to her that isn't going to feel like betrayal, and it's in Hayate's personality that he'll go to ridiculous lengths to avoid hurting someone.

In any event, I don't expect this to continue much longer. She'll find out soon enough, at least by the time the doujinshi showdown happens, I'm guessing.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 10:57   Link #8132
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
What's more interesting is how Luca apparently does not sell as much doujinshi as Nagi and Chiharu hyped. She was supposed to be the example Nagi looks up to when making doujins, but it turns out that she's having as much trouble as Nagi.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 11:00   Link #8133
Tom Bombadil
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Is the butler borrowing the panty and the bra, too?
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 11:17   Link #8134
Dorfl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The dog gossips too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Besides, even he was going to tell her, it would be kind of hugely dickish for Hayate to just turn up in his normal clothes and be all "I'm a man dammit! Leave me alone!"
I'll wait till the next chapter to comment on that, but the fact is that the longer he keeps up the charade, the worse the inevitable fallout is going to be. It's going to introduce unnecessary drama over an issue that shouldn't even be such a big deal.
__________________
Dorfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 11:44   Link #8135
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
What's more interesting is how Luca apparently does not sell as much doujinshi as Nagi and Chiharu hyped. She was supposed to be the example Nagi looks up to when making doujins, but it turns out that she's having as much trouble as Nagi.
I think it's more she's Nagi's idol in general, what with being a mega-popular idol who seems to be good at everything and has similar interests. In the realm of Manga, they're more or less equally bad. It's easy to let the fact that Nagi likes Luca's manga overshadow the fact that it didn't sell very well, got specifically ripped on by that Maizumi arse, and that it was hinted that Luca had the same traumatic experience with visiting Ashibashi sensei that Nagi did.

I think Nagi's dream this chapter highlighted something about her personality that isn't obvious if you don't read Yukariko's character profile in Volume 16. It more or less explains that Nagi's mom, while super-lucky and adored by everyone was basically useless at everything and couldn't do anything by herself.

Nagi sort of defines herself by trying too hard to not be her mom and failing anyways. Hayate calling her a "hopeless" person in her dream underscores her own insecurity that she isn't actually good at anything.

(It also says that Yukariko didn't die of illness and that he hopes to write more about Nagi's father some day. It's one of the more interesting of all the character profiles.)

Quote:
I'll wait till the next chapter to comment on that, but the fact is that the longer he keeps up the charade, the worse the inevitable fallout is going to be. It's going to introduce unnecessary drama over an issue that shouldn't even be such a big deal
Heh. I dunno, I get the feeling she'll get over it quickly enough...
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 11:51   Link #8136
Dorfl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The dog gossips too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Heh. I dunno, I get the feeling she'll get over it quickly enough...
In which case it will be as annoying as all those pages Hina wasted angsting over whether to tell Ayumu that she liked Hayate too, only to find out Ayumu didn't care. Either way the readers lose.
__________________
Dorfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 13:18   Link #8137
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
In which case it will be as annoying as all those pages Hina wasted angsting over whether to tell Ayumu that she liked Hayate too, only to find out Ayumu didn't care. Either way the readers lose.
... I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
I think Nagi's dream this chapter highlighted something about her personality that isn't obvious if you don't read Yukariko's character profile in Volume 16. It more or less explains that Nagi's mom, while super-lucky and adored by everyone was basically useless at everything and couldn't do anything by herself.
Wasn't she (Nagi) supposed to be a successful trader, or has that been retconned to make drama over her lost fortune?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 13:29   Link #8138
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Wasn't she (Nagi) supposed to be a successful trader, or has that been retconned to make drama over her lost fortune?
It's hard to say. Nagi has shown confidence in her investment skills and supposedly learned a lot about finance from Mikado, but we don't know how successful she really is at it. Managing the estate was more Klaus's job, it's one of the reasons he was away so often.

She did put the 20 million yen directly into investments and has only mentioned it once since then. (She tells Hayate that "Plan B is stock investments" and then makes a face and says ..."Lets not talk about Plan B.") I guess that might indicate that her investments aren't doing well, but it could always turn around down the road.

I wouldn't say Nagi is actually a failure at everything she does--she's a child prodigy after all, but she often worries that she is.

Quote:
... I don't.
Indeed.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 14:31   Link #8139
Dorfl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The dog gossips too much.
Okay, either way I lose.
__________________
Dorfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 17:52   Link #8140
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I think it was obvious she wasn't a particularly big hit in the dōjinshi world when we saw her at the end of the Greece arc. I think we simply let Chiharu's own opinion and the fact Luca is a popular idol with a cool personality make us believe she was particularly good. In fact, we even saw her work and it... well, it wasn't the sort of thing that sells a lot.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.