AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-11, 20:56   Link #28041
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lion's Arch
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Vita got kinda sidelined, even late into A's. *Starts to complain about the Wolkies being neglected in StrikerS*

Man, someone needs to remove the dead horse; it's smelling really bad.

Anyhow, I enjoy the fact that Vita seems to find bigger and bigger hammers.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 21:04   Link #28042
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Frozen Hell of the North
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
To the people who don't count the Sound Stages...

There's no reason for you not to count them.

Transcripts of the Sound Stages are posted, right here on AS, in their OWN thread, courtesy of Nagumo.

You find out a LOT of information about the series via the Sound Stages.

At least people on Nanochan and NanoFate.us have an excuse not to read/listen to them.

Though, I gotta admit, a narrator describing things would be more helpful in the more action-based Sound Stages (which should have been turned into an OVA), like SSX.

Hell, between the mangas and the Sound Stages a LOT of characters got more development than they did in the anime (looking at you, Chrono).
__________________

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 22:33   Link #28043
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Anyhow, I enjoy the fact that Vita seems to find bigger and bigger hammers.
They seem to match her boobs, which I swear get bigger and bigger in every fanart I find of her.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 23:40   Link #28044
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maine
Age: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
To the people who don't count the Sound Stages...

There's no reason for you not to count them.

Transcripts of the Sound Stages are posted, right here on AS, in their OWN thread, courtesy of Nagumo.

You find out a LOT of information about the series via the Sound Stages.

At least people on Nanochan and NanoFate.us have an excuse not to read/listen to them.

Though, I gotta admit, a narrator describing things would be more helpful in the more action-based Sound Stages (which should have been turned into an OVA), like SSX.

Hell, between the mangas and the Sound Stages a LOT of characters got more development than they did in the anime (looking at you, Chrono).
Quoted for epic-level truth. MGLN is a multimedia franchise, with anime, sound stages, and manga series all complementing one another (okay, the novel, the movie, and the movie manga each exist in their own continuities as variants of S1, and the PSP games are something else entirely, but everything else does). They don't cover the same material, they aren't adaptations of one another, and the "side materials" aren't just cutesy little comic relief bits but feature considerable amounts of character development and storyline. Just because we're in various foreign countries where it's inconvenient to obtain certain items of those media doesn't mean we can simply say that they don't exist. "I wish that Vita had gotten more screen time and character development in StrikerS" is a completely different sentiment than "Vita didn't get any screen time in the franchise after A's."

Nanya is especially right because, as he points out, we at AnimeSuki have easy access to all of the information set out in the Sound Stages because Nagumo has gone to the hard work of translating them all for us.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 23:46   Link #28045
Fluegel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
It's not the point whether it's animated or not.

The fact of the matter is that it's all stuff NOT IN THE ANIMATED SERIES.

Good luck ever knowing any of this without the internet being there and only relying on the in show info.

ALL ANIMES are essentually multimedia franchises. But If a show has to resort to side materials to develop one of the main characters, then it's just bad planning.

Like StrikerS as a whole.

What's that? Signum uses a sword and can't do anything with the kids despite being a vice captain? Sure, that's a good enough reason for her to not do anything till the last minute.
Fluegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 23:51   Link #28046
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 26
Personally, to me it sounds like both sides have a very fair point. That having been said, no one's really denied that StrikerS has its own share of problems.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 00:11   Link #28047
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Well, at leats Vita got more character developement in StrikerS than say... the numbers.



PD: Vita rules you. >:3

__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 00:15   Link #28048
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maine
Age: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Personally, to me it sounds like both sides have a very fair point. That having been said, no one's really denied that StrikerS has its own share of problems.
I'm certainly not denying that...
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 00:37   Link #28049
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Frozen Hell of the North
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluegel View Post
Good luck ever knowing any of this without the internet being there and only relying on the in show info.
Yeah, made even worse by the fact that...

THE STRIKERS MANGA, WHICH IS LICENSED, HAS NEVER BEEN DISTRIBUTED OUTSIDE OF JAPAN!!

Sorry, just REALLY irritates me how I pre-ordered the manga and it NEVER came out!
__________________

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 01:45   Link #28050
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lion's Arch
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
They seem to match her boobs, which I swear get bigger and bigger in every fanart I find of her.
Vita with boobs? Lies.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 02:30   Link #28051
Arcc
Knight who says D'ni
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: -0,-0,-0,-0: The Brink of Time
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Yeah, made even worse by the fact that...

THE STRIKERS MANGA, WHICH IS LICENSED, HAS NEVER BEEN DISTRIBUTED OUTSIDE OF JAPAN!!

Sorry, just REALLY irritates me how I pre-ordered the manga and it NEVER came out!
I know your pain all too well, mate. I'm a 3x3 Eyes fan, before all other fandoms of Japanese origin save Chrono Trigger.
__________________
The more that you resist the tide
The more it pulls you in
The more you hang on for your life~

Arcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 03:04   Link #28052
Fluegel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
StrikerS biggest problem which I'm sure every one will probably agree is that they introduced like 40 god damn new characters into the franchise, while only 2-3 really got any sort of real development at all. And the majority of the old cast was rarely scene.

While I prefer Force over Vivid, I at least liked how it was mainly just focusing on Vivio and Einhart, and her 2 friends were alright. But then......That damn tournament thing came up and suddenly in 1 chapter they introduced like 10 new characters again.

At least Force's mains are really only Haseo, Lilly, and Isis. Maybe that floating AA battery he has as well.

My other issue with Vivid is that all these brats suddenly have the ability to turn into healthy adults, but Vita's stuck forever as she is....

And Caro....

6 years.
Age 10-16
Grown a total of half an inch.

Why God? Why?

Quote:
Yeah, made even worse by the fact that...

THE STRIKERS MANGA, WHICH IS LICENSED, HAS NEVER BEEN DISTRIBUTED OUTSIDE OF JAPAN!!
For the most part, the anime industry in this country is practically dead. Not sure it was even alive to begin with....
Fluegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 03:19   Link #28053
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 26
Personally I always felt that Vita was just naturally content with being a child. And also on that note, I feel Vita's content with a lack of a romantic love life. Perhaps she's a bit of a child by heart, and not just body.

As for Caro... well, that's just the universe conspiring against her.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 04:58   Link #28054
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluegel View Post
For the most part, the anime industry in this country is practically dead. Not sure it was even alive to begin with....
It's a niche. It's always been a niche and it always will be a niche. Until the market learns this and stops flooding the market with almost every single show and manga out there it will continue to look bad. They need to cut back and do market research on which shows and manga will actually sell and license those.

And yes that means Nanoha should never have been licensed in the first place. High supply + low demand = crappy sales and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluegel View Post
ALL ANIMES are essentually multimedia franchises. But If a show has to resort to side materials to develop one of the main characters, then it's just bad planning.
This I disagree with. For two reasons. Yes, there are examples of this being bad planning, but in the case of Vita... no. Tell me, is Vita any less of a character without the sound stages? Anything told in the sound stages deepens her character, but it is hardly vital.

Second, the entire point of a multimedia franchise is to spread the franchise across multiple media. Not just copies of the same show in manga format, but plot and character development. Which is why most anime are not multimedia franchises, just franchises with multiple media.

You have to remember that while for most of us the anime is the only source we have, this anime was not made for us. It was made for the Japanese, who have ready access to every form of the franchise. Saying it doesn't count just because we don't have ready access to it doesn't really fly.

Now yes, you can go overboard with the multimedia franchise thing, as StrikerS has shown by not giving the basic developments of critical cast members and instead wasting that screentime with things that don't matter at all to the plot or development, but that does not automatically mean that this is bad all the time.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 05:43   Link #28055
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Frozen Hell of the North
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
I'd like to disagree about anime being dead in this country...

Considering that both the Mazinkaiser SKL OVA and Panty, Stocking and Garterbelt have been announced to coming over...

And there's plenty of other series being licensed as well.

The problem is...

There isn't much in the way of advertising when it comes to shows.

People aren't going to know about shows if you don't put ads on television or the internet after all. =/
__________________

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 09:48   Link #28056
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
About Vita's developement i agree with Keroko, she has enough onscreen developement, enough to be worfed 4 times by now and still be able to be her own character oustide the battlefield unlike other characters ....like her leader for example xDU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluegel View Post
While I prefer Force over Vivid, I at least liked how it was mainly just focusing on Vivio and Einhart, and her 2 friends were alright. But then......That damn tournament thing came up and suddenly in 1 chapter they introduced like 10 new characters again.

At least Force's mains are really only Haseo, Lilly, and Isis. Maybe that floating AA battery he has as well.
Don't forget Curren, Veyron, Cypha, Fortis, Arnage, Deville and Stella, they're main characters too xD
__________________
May 29 2010-2014

...4 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2011-05-12 at 09:59.
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 10:18   Link #28057
Fluegel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
The story only focuses on them when it needs to. They're not the primary focus. They'll just end up as fodder with names and side characters like all the others.

Spoiler for nsfw:
Fluegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 10:30   Link #28058
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluegel View Post
The story only focuses on them when it needs to. They're not the primary focus. They'll just end up as fodder with names and side characters like all the others.
Fooder that take away the spotlight from the "main" cast for at least half of the chapters released by now xD
__________________
May 29 2010-2014

...4 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 13:43   Link #28059
Sheba
Night Battle Oh La La
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Multimedia franchise should never be an excuse of poor management of the cast. Each incarnation of each media type of a franchise should be able to stand on its own and not to rely on assumption that the viewer have read a novel/comic or listened a CD/radio drama, otherwise it IS gay. "Oh doh btw, that dude named Griffith appear in chapter # of manga B, if you did not read it shit out of luck!"
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 13:53   Link #28060
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Multimedia franchise should never be an excuse of poor management of the cast. Each incarnation of each media type of a franchise should be able to stand on its own and not to rely on assumption that the viewer have read a novel/comic or listened a CD/radio drama, otherwise it IS gay. "Oh doh btw, that dude named Griffith appear in chapter # of manga B, if you did not read it shit out of luck!"
Then it's not a multimedia franchise. If each incarnation stands on its own, it's merely a franchise with multiple media. The difference between the two is that while a franchise with multiple media can, and often does, have standalone products, a multimedia franchise aims at this kind of connectivity.

Again, looking at this from a western standpoint is makes this look weird, since we don't have ready access to all media. But to a Japanese fan of the franchise, having all the media is only natural.

But blur out sound stages for a moment, and think about something we do have much more: Novels. A popular movie gets a novel, which relies on the assumption that the person who buys the novel has watched the movie. Less complicated than the Nanoha web, but the core idea remains the same.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
images, nanoha, nsfw

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.