AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-11-08, 14:29   Link #341
darthfury78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
have they released Chapter 6 yet?
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 23:41   Link #342
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa
Spoiler for Ch.5:
__________________
SonOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-19, 03:21   Link #343
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
So, the person who interfered with Renya's Geass contract and instead made what C.C. gave him a curse seems to be the Lelouch lookalike.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 00:10   Link #344
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfHeaven View Post
Spoiler for Ch.5:
Thanks for the update.

Checked out Chapter 5, and I must say the Knightmare (Mesh) is certainly an intriguing character.

Although I'm curious;

Spoiler for Question about the Knightmare.:
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 23:22   Link #345
Syaoran-sama
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter 6 general spoilers.

Spoiler:
Syaoran-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 08:46   Link #346
rinichan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
when is chapter 6 gonna be out?
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 19:55   Link #347
Syaoran-sama
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter 7 general spoilers.

Spoiler:


About chapter 6, 7 and so on, you should ask an ETA for CxC Scans on their site. They are the ones doing the scanlations on english.

Last edited by Syaoran-sama; 2011-01-29 at 20:37.
Syaoran-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 04:31   Link #348
Bonzo
I change anime endings.
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Italy
Age: 36
Send a message via MSN to Bonzo
Renya chapter 7 is out and...

Well, japan mangakas always very skilled to mute a story in a idiocy.
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 19:14   Link #349
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
They recycle character designs like there's no tomorrow, with the pretense that they're all "ancestors" of the TV series cast. And Renya is a rather annoying generic teenage brat. Honestly, after seven chapters, I see no other reason to read this except for the fact that it's in the Code Geass continuity.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 19:18   Link #350
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
They recycle character designs like there's no tomorrow, with the pretense that they're all "ancestors" of the TV series cast. And Renya is a rather annoying generic teenage brat. Honestly, after seven chapters, I see no other reason to read this except for the fact that it's in the Code Geass continuity.
I've lost much interest in the manga after every chapter so far. It just isn't that good in my opinion. Like I said before, Renya isn't that interesting of a character right now.
__________________
SonOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 20:44   Link #351
Xander
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 31
Well, it's just like what we've already discussed.

If this was adapted into an anime, chapter 7 would be around episode 3 or 4. Not too slow for a ridiculously long shounen fighting series but definitely slow for either season of Code Geass (whatever else you might say, they both had better introductions).

The manga is squarely aimed at teenagers and down, not teenagers and up. That's why we get fairly predictable superpowered martial arts fights and, by and large, a lot of ground that's already been covered by Naruto or Bleach instead of the things that made the property truly interesting to begin with. I'm still hoping the Code Geass Gaiden team ran off with all the good ideas though.

It's not objectively bad but simply very mediocre and currently lacking any pretense other than providing your standard action adventure. In that sense, Taniguchi was open about his intentions of making Renya's story "more shounen" than anything else...but, naturally, that doesn't have to mean people will necessarily enjoy it.

As previously said, Weinberg's a better character than Gino because he's at least entertaining...but Futaba apparently lacks Kaguya's interest in politics and replaces it with fanservice and a lot of kicks. Her "descendant" did have that childish crush on Lelouch/Zero but...it wasn't more than an occasional joke (and a very ironic one when she briefly showed up near the end of S1 and Lelouch rejected her). With Futaba, I'm not so sure if there's anything more to her character.

C.C.'s still cynical and mysterious, as you'd expect, but the rest of the cast is absolutely average, with Renya being barely fleshed out a little bit here and there while everyone else seems to remain static and the goal (rescuing Carla/Claire) is simultaneously so close and yet so far.

You can still see some vague hints of something better further down the road...C.C. herself has been a real tease during the last couple of chapters and Renya's power could end up causing him more problems than the easy ride we've seen so far. But, once again, this isn't exactly a good chapter by chapter read. The pacing's far too slow for a monthly release and it'll probably be another volume or two before things get real. Hopefully I'm being pessimistic.

Ironically, R2 may have suffered from trying to do too much too quickly thanks to the whole time slot debacle...but Renya suffers from not doing enough and having a glacial pace thanks to the release schedule. R2 still dealt with interesting ideas, even if it did so poorly, but Renya deals with uninteresting elements even if it's following a more rational and less rushed form of storytelling. You could say Taniguchi may know how to direct but Okouchi was the writer for a good reason.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-30, 05:54   Link #352
saya_leviathan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
For those who are wondering what's the status on Renya of the Darkness, here's some:
Code Geass Manga Artist Plans to Sue Blogger
Quote:
Manga artist Tomomasa Takuma reported on Twitter on Monday that he talked with the publisher Kadokawa Shoten and a lawyer about a lawsuit against a blogger who criticized Takuma and Goro Taniguchi's Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya manga.

Taniguchi, the director and story co-creator of the original Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion television anime series, created the manga spinoff's story concepts and is scripting the story. The manga is set in the same official Code Geass history as the anime, but in Japan's historical Edo era. The story begins when Renya, a 17-year-old boy with a mechanical left arm and shuriken-throwing skills, encounters a mysterious, perpetually young woman named "Reifū C.C."

The "Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya no Tōyō to Settei Machigai ni Tsukkomu Blog" wrote several complaints about the Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya manga. The most significant complaint that the blog makes is that the manga plagiarized Yagyū Reppūken Renya, a historical manga that Takashi Noguchi serialized in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine in 1992.

The Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya manga is currently on hiatus, but Takuma said that the hiatus is unrelated to the blog. Takuma said that the hiatus is due to a private matter with his staff, so he can not disclose the reason.

On Tuesday, Takuma reported that he made arrangements and completed the paperwork with the lawyer for legal action. As of early Wednesday, he added that he will stop using Twitter for an indefinite period.

Besides Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya, Takuma also drew the Code Geass: Nightmare of Nunnally and Kurogane Communication manga. He launched Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya in Kadokawa Shoten's Weekly Shōnen Ace magazine.
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 22:05   Link #353
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Oh, looks like saya_leviathan beat me to it.
That's the legal battle I was talking about Lost Cause.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 22:23   Link #354
Xander
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Oh, looks like saya_leviathan beat me to it.
That's the legal battle I was talking about Lost Cause.
It's a pretty one-sided legal battle though, as far as we know, with Tomomasa Takuma being the one to sue a nameless person who apparently was more annoying than your average Internet troll, because he/she decided to practically harass him over even the most generic and superficial similarities. It's my understanding this issue wasn't limited to publishing a random blog post.

By this point in time, there's only so many ways you can draw an action sequence in a shounen manga featuring glorified ninjas, samurais and superpowered beings without intentionally or unintentionally reminding people of something someone else has already done. Context and whether the actual art was copied or traced, which doesn't seem to be the case at all, is what's actually important. I doubt anyone has a copyright over "grabbing someone by the neck" or "falling into the ground in a specific pose after being hit" and other common sequences or panel arrangements in a fighting manga.

If there's any serious resemblance to the story of "Yagyū Reppūken Renya" though, on a level that goes way beyond the above or the general events of the historical Edo period, then things might be different. Haven't seen any evidence yet, mind you, and the nameless blogger in question apparently used images from half a dozen unrelated manga instead of just that one.

But I would be far more worried if this was a battle between two different creators or companies instead of "manga artist vs. nameless person" because, once again, there has been no further news about the subject. Still, who knows what'll happen?

Ah well...didn't think I'd end up defending the Renya manga, in a way, but I guess it's a matter of principle.

In fact, that reminds me of this video where you can see a compilation of all the repetitive elements in anime OPs.

Last edited by Xander; 2011-04-18 at 22:45.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 00:08   Link #355
darthfury78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Well, it's just like what we've already discussed.

Ironically, R2 may have suffered from trying to do too much too quickly thanks to the whole time slot debacle...but Renya suffers from not doing enough and having a glacial pace thanks to the release schedule. R2 still dealt with interesting ideas, even if it did so poorly, but Renya deals with uninteresting elements even if it's following a more rational and less rushed form of storytelling. You could say Taniguchi may know how to direct but Okouchi was the writer for a good reason.
Hi Xander,
Code Geass R2 will always be the stepchild of Season One. After reviewing both seasons, I came to the conclusion that Season Two is a repeat of Season One's plotline, aside from the ending. It's too bad that the original script was tossed into the garbage because of the timeslot change. It might have been the best season of all, since that version might have been a progression of the storyline, instead of the regression that we got.

As for the Manga, I haven't read it because it seems like a long introduction of the character. I'll wait for the good chapters to arrive.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 00:59   Link #356
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
It's a pretty one-sided legal battle though, as far as we know, with Tomomasa Takuma being the one to sue a nameless person who apparently was more annoying than your average Internet troll, because he/she decided to practically harass him over even the most generic and superficial similarities. It's my understanding this issue wasn't limited to publishing a random blog post.

By this point in time, there's only so many ways you can draw an action sequence in a shounen manga featuring glorified ninjas, samurais and superpowered beings without intentionally or unintentionally reminding people of something someone else has already done. Context and whether the actual art was copied or traced, which doesn't seem to be the case at all, is what's actually important. I doubt anyone has a copyright over "grabbing someone by the neck" or "falling into the ground in a specific pose after being hit" and other common sequences or panel arrangements in a fighting manga.

If there's any serious resemblance to the story of "Yagyū Reppūken Renya" though, on a level that goes way beyond the above or the general events of the historical Edo period, then things might be different. Haven't seen any evidence yet, mind you, and the nameless blogger in question apparently used images from half a dozen unrelated manga instead of just that one.

But I would be far more worried if this was a battle between two different creators or companies instead of "manga artist vs. nameless person" because, once again, there has been no further news about the subject. Still, who knows what'll happen?

Ah well...didn't think I'd end up defending the Renya manga, in a way, but I guess it's a matter of principle.

In fact, that reminds me of this video where you can see a compilation of all the repetitive elements in anime OPs.

Wow, I haven't really been following this legal challenge.
But as you say, if there is more than just a passing resemblance then this could get rather interesting.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 03:11   Link #357
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by saya_leviathan View Post
For those who are wondering what's the status on Renya of the Darkness, here's some:
Code Geass Manga Artist Plans to Sue Blogger
Wow. This Takuma guy sounds like a massive pussy.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 11:19   Link #358
stardrago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Hey, didn't CxC already posted chapter 8 already?
stardrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 07:22   Link #359
saya_leviathan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
New Code Geass Manga Reimagines Lead as Convenience Store Clerk

Quote:
The second issue of Kadokawa Shoten's 4-Koma Nano Ace magazine shipped on Monday with the first installment of Barcode Geass: Hanbai no Lelouch (Barcode Geass: Lelouch of the Sale), Nao Katō's new four-panel spinoff manga based on the Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion television anime series. The manga re-imagines the anime's title character Lelouch Lamperouge as a part-time convenience store worker. Code Geass script supervisor Ichiro Okouchi and director Goro Taniguchi are credited with the original story.
Convenience store worker?
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 07:24   Link #360
konart
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Moscow, RU
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to konart
Quote:
Originally Posted by saya_leviathan View Post
why not?

__________________
Signature removed. Please check the forum signature rules before trying to upload another one. If you have questions, feel free to contact a mod through PM.
konart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.