AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 18 23.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 22.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 22.08%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 16.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 11.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.60%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-15, 17:40   Link #41
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Age: 22
^ Ko doesn't really seem THAT unreasonable though. You gotta remember "he's the guy who does things in a roundabout way." So he thinks before he acts.

@ Kanon: I am also leaning towards her definitely sticking him on the friend zone. Now that, is my subjective POV. xD

@ Shadow: Oh she can definitely grow to love Ko. But in order to do that, either option 1 or 2 would have to be fulfilled so that their feelings can grow. Although I'm not discarding the possibility that Ko can rile her love in via texting. But honestly speaking...if you were let΄s say Ohana. And there are two guys fighting for you, who do you HONESTLY think has a better chance of romancing you? The guy who works at the same place as you, lives in the same town as you and who you see on a daily basis, generally he's just got more time spent around you? Or perhaps the guy who can only sometimes come to see you, and texts you everyday?
.x.crii.x. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 17:58   Link #42
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezu View Post
Tomoe decided not to give in to her mother but to continue the job she loves.
Well, in fairness, if this is the ending that is being aimed for, isn't it helpful to clearly and unambiguously demonstrate that Tomoe does in fact love her job?

Prior to this episode, I had no clear idea if Tomoe liked her job or not. Now thanks to this episode, I have a pretty clear idea that Tomoe does like her job, in large part because she likes working with younger co-workers and also since she likes the rather colorful customers she frequently comes across where she works.

So I do think that the plot of this anime did a good job of setting up Tomoe making the decision she does at the end of this episode.


Now, just to be clear, this isn't my favorite episode of the seven we have so far for this anime. However, as an episode focused around a particular supporting cast character it does a very good job of developing that character and further fleshing her out. And as a comedy-oriented episode, I prefer it to Episode 3 anyway. This felt a bit more believable to me than Episode 3 was.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 18:05   Link #43
karuroso
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
ah if only that "Onee san" was actually Onee-sama... i.i well Tomoe blushed anyway i guess thats ok =~ oh yeah hearing Noto saying "get some!" made me lol so much since it made me remember of a certain scene in Canaan ( interesting it was also made by the same studio)
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 18:11   Link #44
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
As for me being happy to see Kou (re-)entering the picture:
1. Romance is always good.
2. We don't know that he's coming unannounced.
3. I know from personal experience that long-distance relationships can work out.
4. I definitely do not want Ohana to take away Minchi's beloved.
5. Ohana could realize that the feelings she has toward Kou are the beginnings of what is known as "love."
6. Maybe he will spend the summer working there or at another inn.
7. Ohana may not be there permanently, and her mother may call her back.
8. Something could happen that none of us anticipate.

Anyway, I desperately want more development surrounding Ohana, not just more side-plots and comedy. Basically, I'm disappointed that this show seems to be frittering itself away, no matter how great some of the characters may be. I think tezu has put his/her finger on it:
Quote:
...I feel like the series is subconsciously following a pattern: Introduce an interesting premise, continue with a weak plot that does not realize the premise's potential at all, add a little comedy and fanservice, then end it with a somewhat satisfying conclusion....
However, I really like the fact that both Tomoe and Minchi gain satisfaction in this episode by seeing that (a) they did something well, and (b) someone appreciates them for it.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 18:21   Link #45
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Actually, that was intensely refreshing. Best episode in this show thus far as far as I am concerned. You don't need an episode to have forced melodrama and tear jerky moments for it to be magnificent. Tomoe's crisis is one I can deeply identify with, despite being on a completely different setting. That's saying something. If anything, I should be closer to the main girl but I felt much more for Tomoe than I do for her. And they did a really good job with the comedy too. Respect.

I don't want Kou and Ohana to be "in love" bla bla. Ohana surely didn't look like she was romantically interested in Kou and Kou's "love" felt more like a crush and a longing for a longtime friend too. I said so early on into the series as well; they are young and can go about it slow. Kou would get massive amounts of respect in my eyes if he actually comes out and suggests to Ohana that he doesn't want to force an answer out of her and is just going to support her and remain a friend for now etc. A show doesn't always need unnecessary romance, especially considering just how much out of character it is for Ohana to really be in love with "someone special" the way she is now. I don't think Tohru is in love with her either. He is fond of her, but hey, he is fond of Minchi too, she just doesn't realize it. Imho, they are both like little sisters to him. The show is doing a very good job of keeping things ambiguous... just like they are in life. I hope they don't go out of their way to force some romance in.

And nothing wrong with what the show is doing. Plot is something that comes after a story is done. A need for a tightly-knit plot isn't an absolute. I dare say drama is stronger when it's loosely knit like this than when it's tightly knit. That said, episode 4 was a disaster. But that was a disaster because of how freaking cheesy, aloof and cut off it was. No amount of suspension of belief was enough to sympathize with that episode and the events that transpired in it. It didn't help that the star of the episode was the weaboo author who had literally nothing to his merit before, during or after the episode.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 18:24   Link #46
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
What is with viewers nowadays that everything must be dripping with heavyweight drama before a show is considered "respectable"?
That's hardly something new

Anyway, was that Noto's voice, really made the diference, anyone else would have made the character too aloof-sounding, Noto always gives a serious, thoughtful tone even in the most absurd and ridiculous situations... excellent casting

And next episode Kou is coming? Damn, that means it's not going to be a Nako episode... I wonder how long I'll have to wait
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 18:29   Link #47
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
^ Ko doesn't really seem THAT unreasonable though. You gotta remember "he's the guy who does things in a roundabout way." So he thinks before he acts.
Yeah... He probably wouldn't live there anyway. Most likely, he'll just visit. But I'm pretty sure something big will happen when he does. Since it looks like Grandma is sick the next episode, maybe he'll be able to protect Ohana somehow like he used to?
__________________
Sugarless Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 18:57   Link #48
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
Wow those LARPers were intense. Like how Tomoe accomplished the opposite of what she was trying to do. At least in reinvigorated her wanting to work their. Also helps that your coworkers have stars in their eyes for you and call her onee-san. That Jiromaru scene was too funny.
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 20:16   Link #49
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Wow, that was so damn funny. I wasn't sure how much comedy we were going to have, but it was plentiful and so much fun. Tomoe really should let her hair down more when she works. She might have found a husband by now if she did, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
That preview... HELL YEAH, KO IS COMING TO TOWN!

At least I think he is... he better be on the train to that town and not just be on the way to school.
I am hoping that he is just going shopping or something. I still think it's too soon for him to arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
That question is answered by saying that some people expected heavy drama in Hanasaku Iroha after watching episode 1 and started watching it (past episode 1) in the lookout for heavy drama.

Quite understandable, if you ask me. People watch a show with certain expectations and therefore, reasons. The above viewers probably realize now that Hanasaku Iroha isn't a series that relies heavily on drama. They either deal with it, or move on to the next show.
Some of us are still hoping for drama later on, maybe in the second half or towards the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
That would be such a stretch of unimaginable proportions.

Unannounced visits are bad form. It's not like she should drop everything that she has to do because he decided to show up on that day. If this is what's happening, Ko needs a reality check.
I don't think he is going to there to see Ohana. He had pamphlets of hot spring inns, so I think he is just going on a little vacation and will find Ohana there by coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Also, Nako is stupidly hot. I know that has nothing to do with the episode, but I don't want to break my streak of pointing that out in every HanaIro thread I participate in.
Amen to that. She's too timid for a real life girl but for an anime girl, she is perfect. I think they're ingenious for making her so timid and shy since it presents so many opportunities for her to act cute and shy. Couple that with a stellar body and excellent style sense (ZR FTW!!) and we get a fine, fine anime girl.
__________________
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 20:30   Link #50
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Age: 22
Now that I think about it...Ohana never really told Ko to which part of the country side she was going. Hmm, but maybe he asked her mom? o.O Or no...she left that same night right? so....how does he know where she is...does he even know?!
.x.crii.x. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 21:01   Link #51
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
That question is answered by saying that some people expected heavy drama in Hanasaku Iroha after watching episode 1 and started watching it (past episode 1) in the lookout for heavy drama.

Quite understandable, if you ask me. People watch a show with certain expectati ons and therefore, reasons. The above viewers probably realize now that Hanasaku Iroha isn't a series that relies heavily on drama. They either deal with it, or move on to the next show.
What gets me is how people seemed to assume it'd be nothing but heavy weight drama, ALL the time. Especially in a 24 episode series.

It's like genuinely light hearted content is completely incompatible with occasionally having dramatic plot threads (which it looks like we'll be getting in ep8)
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 21:09   Link #52
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
Now that I think about it...Ohana never really told Ko to which part of the country side she was going. Hmm, but maybe he asked her mom? o.O Or no...she left that same night right? so....how does he know where she is...does he even know?!
Which is why I say he will meet her there by coincidence.
__________________
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 21:26   Link #53
Freeter
i see baka people
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: in the club
I am so glad this show doesn't take itself seriously. It's essentially the yin to AnoHana's yang. Watching Tomoe mess with those LARPers was an absolute blast, and Minko going starry-eyed over people praising her food was sweet

Totally called that Jiroumaru moment, and yet it was still funny when it happened. Reminded me of Fumoffu for a bit

Did anyone else think Tomoe resembled Misato with her hair down? Especially with all the beer she drinks
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=42380&dateline=119337  1797
Now: JoJo, Barakamon, P4G, YnS, AoHaru, Sabagebu, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO2, Glasslip, Ilya
Next: Shinmai Maou, NNB s2

Freeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 21:32   Link #54
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
I noticed that particular resemblance as well.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 21:57   Link #55
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Just goes to prove that I don't mind these comedic, non-serious episodes of Hanasakau Iroha... as long as it doesn't involve the novelist. "Filler" they may be, but they're enjoyable nonetheless.

And can't say no to more Ko next week. If anything, his constant presence from the get go, however small, means they have something planned for him until the very end. While I agree KoXOhana ain't happening NOW, knowing this is a 26 episode series, it doesn't dishearten me in the slightest. If anything, it gives me hope considering that if KoXOhana would happen, it would take THAT long to flesh out that relationship. So yeah...
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 22:32   Link #56
germanturkey
Smiling Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
can you say perfect slice of life characterization? a standalone ep that develops a character so much. this is exactly what i'm looking for. on top of the fact that it was beautifully animated and absolutely hilarious, there was just the fight amount of fanservice done in the subtle way this show does it; not flaunting it, but its noticeably there.

also, it detailed one of my more liked characters in Tomoe. her VA does an amazing voice when she isn't "Sawako-ing" it.

i have no doubt this will have its share of drama later on. unless Okada decides to make this one light hearted and Ano Hana the heavy one.. after all, its a 24 ep, and a 24 ep all the time serious show is bound to fail. even Honey and Clover, one of the more "serious" shows has its fair share of comedy.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 23:05   Link #57
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
What is with viewers nowadays that everything must be dripping with heavyweight drama before a show is considered "respectable"?

A fun episode with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments. Just the kind of pick-me-up I need for another dreary week ahead filled with OMG real-life drama — you know, the kind where I really have to work my diminishing grey cells to portray with deathly gravity and mind-sapping accuracy — instead of getting angsty over how a light-hearted comedy isn't serious enough.
Honestly, the criticisms I have about this show aren't that they "zomg, they tried to throw in comedy!" Really I have no problem with having a good laugh here and there. But one must also call into question how they execute such comedy.

Episodes 1 and 2 were not presented in a very comedic manner, the narrative was rather built up as a drama, while not being overly serious, seemed to propose an emotionally engaging story. I don't think it's unreasonable that people expected Hanasaku after those first two episodes to present a drama, while not as heavy as something like Ano Hana, was reasonably dramatic.

But ok, they changed the perspective of the show with the following episodes. Now we're supposed to expect some sort of dramedy instead of the semi-serious coming of age presentation of before. This would not be a problem if the comedy and drama was well integrated and this is where my problems with this show stems from.

Perhaps no example is better or representative of my troubles with this show than Minko. From the very beginning, we were presented with Minko as one of the primary obstacles to Ohana adjusting to her new life. She and her new roomate, for whatever reason, did not get along. Minko hated Ohana from the beginning.

Now I am not sure if Minko's actions well ever be adequately explained or if its simply immaturity that leads to complete irrationality, which I can only shrug my shoulders at considering that isn't a very engaging way to tell a story.

It becomes a problem for me because in later episodes, instead of using it as a source of actual conflict (Which it still is), it's become more of a comedic point in the story (With how Minko goes to extreme lengths to develop unique ways to insult Ohana). But it's all too awkward the way they go about it. I mean there's a scene form a previous episode of Ohana and Minko appearing in the bath room, a very fanservicey and comedic environment, and then we have Minko yelling at Ohana. The girl just can't chill out, and instead of feeling funny, it just leaves a sour taste.

The show just doesn't know exactly how to read the mood of each scene that well. I wouldn't mind if it was executed more elegantly, but it just really hasn't been.

The show continues to have an identity crisis, and that is very disappointing.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 23:09   Link #58
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
The parts where it focused on the Tomoe sidestory were nice. Everything else was... episode 3 like and thus not really my take on comedy. Thankfully, I changed my perception of the series since episode 4 from a serious coming of age/social commentary story to a comedy with some dramatic elements, so it didn't anger me or anything. Not saying that I enjoyed the episode overall though.

However, next episode looks like it could be my cup of tea. Grandma health crisis + that brief Ko sneak peek. Drama incoming.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 23:27   Link #59
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I defended episode 3 as a relief from the drama. But now getting a bit of drama is a relief. And I'm afraid I just didn't find the "comedy" in ep7 funny at all. We all laugh at different things. Tomoe was great, however.

Bring on some puppy love, lol. And more Ohana in all her facets. We all know she will eventually be the one to save the Inn, confirming her grandmother's hopes for her.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 23:31   Link #60
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Now I am not sure if Minko's actions well ever be adequately explained or if its simply immaturity that leads to complete irrationality, which I can only shrug my shoulders at considering that isn't a very engaging way to tell a story.

It becomes a problem for me because in later episodes, instead of using it as a source of actual conflict (Which it still is), it's become more of a comedic point in the story (With how Minko goes to extreme lengths to develop unique ways to insult Ohana).
It's become?It's always been that way.
The very first scene with Minko was already a comic one.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.