AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-14, 12:54   Link #4841
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
If you own a physical copy of a game, is it illegal to download it off net ? I've been told that for example, downloading roms of DS games and such would be legal if you owned those games but wanted to play them on emulator on PC, but does that apply for console and PC games too ?

I'd download them anyway but the reason I ask is because I got banned on a certain forum for '' warez '' when I said on the thread that I dl'ed the game to test it out while my copy of the game is on the mail .. Which it is, it hasn't arrived yet but I've certainly bought it.
Depends per country but overall I don't think it is allowed.
In my country it is allowed to make back ups from your cd's etc. if you own them, same goes for software if you already own it.
But companies do not allow it overall.
Nintendo's view on it: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 20:37   Link #4842
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
I've been tring more often to read Light Novels recently, despite my inability to pay attention to large columns of words on a computer screen, and couldn't help but notice...

I realize Jap -> Eng translations don't always go well, but why do places like Baka-Tsuki neglect in editing these translations to something English readers can more easily understand? Every other sentence or so in Hidan no Aria, I find myself reading over thrice to understand exactly what's been said. There a reason for this? Time constraints? Boredom? Some sort of honor code?
__________________
Asuras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 21:33   Link #4843
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
If you own a physical copy of a game, is it illegal to download it off net ? I've been told that for example, downloading roms of DS games and such would be legal if you owned those games but wanted to play them on emulator on PC, but does that apply for console and PC games too ?

I'd download them anyway but the reason I ask is because I got banned on a certain forum for '' warez '' when I said on the thread that I dl'ed the game to test it out while my copy of the game is on the mail .. Which it is, it hasn't arrived yet but I've certainly bought it.
The game industry will tell you its illegal. However, "fair use" and "right of ownership" make the truth of that murky (in other words, the same game industry will try to avoid such a case ever actually getting to court to test the law - they'll try to pressure an out of court settlement).

Your problem is that you can *say* you own a legal copy of the game but there's no way for that forum to validate your statement. They're just protecting their asses. However, did you say *where* you'd gotten it? Or did you just say you had acquired it?

If they banned you for just *saying* you'd dl'd it, then I'd say they overstepped themselves and no loss move on.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 00:53   Link #4844
Masuzu
ヒーロー
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
Quote:
I realize Jap -> Eng translations don't always go well, but why do places like Baka-Tsuki neglect in editing these translations to something English readers can more easily understand? Every other sentence or so in Hidan no Aria, I find myself reading over thrice to understand exactly what's been said. There a reason for this? Time constraints? Boredom? Some sort of honor code?
i have no problem reading the stuff on baka-tsuki, then again, different people handle different projects so i guess it just comes down to that
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 01:51   Link #4845
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
I've been tring more often to read Light Novels recently, despite my inability to pay attention to large columns of words on a computer screen, and couldn't help but notice...

I realize Jap -> Eng translations don't always go well, but why do places like Baka-Tsuki neglect in editing these translations to something English readers can more easily understand? Every other sentence or so in Hidan no Aria, I find myself reading over thrice to understand exactly what's been said. There a reason for this? Time constraints? Boredom? Some sort of honor code?
Ah...What exactly is the problem? Too many commas? Or is it not localized enough?

I suppose that, if you aren't very good at recognizing modifiers, 'twould be hard to read.

In other news, Baka Tsuki is a wiki and anybody is free to edit it. So, don't just push your problems down on the translators and editors, it's not their job, it's not their responsibility, it's their free will. If you think you know a better way of phrasing a sentence, by all means, change it. It's not like the translators are unable to change it back if they think it'll change the meaning of the sentence.

Then again, if you're too lazy to do so, there's no reason to expect the editors or translators to do it for you.

Last edited by Icy.Tear; 2011-05-16 at 02:05.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 03:00   Link #4846
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
Well it's a forum I regulate so banning me wasn't nice .. It only lasts a week but what annoys me is the way moderators work there. Some mods there ban you just for the sake of banning .. cause it's fun. For example, if you post anime you're sure to get a ban because the mods think anime is something sick <.<

And about the game .. The way I said it was that I bought the game from Amazon but it hasn't arrived yet so I dl'ed the game to try it and practice it in the meantime so I'll be ready for multiplayer. But apparently I got banned because I was trying to ask for '' help '' for a game that was pirated and that's supposedly not allowed. The only think I asked for '' help '' was how to change resolution because I didn't see 1920x1080 in the list and was wondering why <.<
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 03:05   Link #4847
Kameruka
Hen-Tie
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hen-Tie pen
As far as I know, "onii-chan" is a cuter call for older brother, especially from a younger sister. Did the sister still using it if she turn into wrinkly old ladies and her brother still live long enough?

I can't imagine Kirino( or any imouto-type girls of your choice) calling her brother as "onii-chan" when she is 80 and Kyousuke is 83.

Not to stereotype the Japanese people but the Japanese have longest average lifespan.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 09:34   Link #4848
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Ah...What exactly is the problem? Too many commas? Or is it not localized enough?

I suppose that, if you aren't very good at recognizing modifiers, 'twould be hard to read.

In other news, Baka Tsuki is a wiki and anybody is free to edit it. So, don't just push your problems down on the translators and editors, it's not their job, it's not their responsibility, it's their free will. If you think you know a better way of phrasing a sentence, by all means, change it. It's not like the translators are unable to change it back if they think it'll change the meaning of the sentence.

Then again, if you're too lazy to do so, there's no reason to expect the editors or translators to do it for you.
Hey now. No need to be accusatory. I didn't know that just anyone could join, despite being a wiki. I only assume there was some sort of rule on who could, given their status as a translator of Japanese texts (which, if you didn't know, I cannot do). Either way, I never said it was their duty, I only asked if there was a reason they didn't. But thanks for answering?
__________________
Asuras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 14:22   Link #4849
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I'm still not sure what's wrong...If you don't tell me what's wrong, how do I fix it? You say that it's hard to understand, but I'm not sure why that is.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 19:10   Link #4850
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
As far as I know, "onii-chan" is a cuter call for older brother, especially from a younger sister. Did the sister still using it if she turn into wrinkly old ladies and her brother still live long enough?

I can't imagine Kirino( or any imouto-type girls of your choice) calling her brother as "onii-chan" when she is 80 and Kyousuke is 83.

Not to stereotype the Japanese people but the Japanese have longest average lifespan.
It would depend on how close of a relationship/bond they have still, I mean I've seen some characters do it or similar words to their siblings at ages of 30~40, so I mean it's possible.
__________________
Nanami Aoyama - Sakurasou no Pet na KanojoAvatar & Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 19:52   Link #4851
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
I'm still not sure what's wrong...If you don't tell me what's wrong, how do I fix it? You say that it's hard to understand, but I'm not sure why that is.
Various reasons as to why I am sometimes confused by the writing:

Quote:
If you want to ask what happened to Aria and Shirayuki, it’s obviously separated like light and darkness.
Shouldn't it be: "If you were to ask about what happened between Aria and Shirayuki, it is obvious they are seperated like light and darkness"

Quote:
Reports, no, little affairs spread abnormally quickly
Even in context, I still have no idea what this is saying. Something along the lines of, "rumors spread quickly"?

Quote:
As for the other one, Muto…his face showed that he wanted to ask something, but was difficult to say. Well, Muto’s face being weird is something normal anyway.
?

"As for the other boy, Muto; his face showed that he wanted to ask something, but it was difficult to say. Well, Muto's face is normally weird."

---------------------------

Many of these sentences are so amalgamated with useless, sometimes confusing words. The strangeness of it detracts my attention. Could just be me. This is what confuses me. Why is it left translated like this? If I were to sign up, would I be allowed to edit it?
__________________
Asuras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 20:01   Link #4852
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
If I were to sign up, would I be allowed to edit it?
I'd say they would say yes. Why not?

I get the feeling Baka-Tsuki is always in desperate need of volunteers for all sorts of projects.

Although, I'd keep "anyway" in this sentence:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras
"As for the other boy, Muto; his face showed that he wanted to ask something, but it was difficult to say. Well, Muto's face is normally weird anyway."
...for example.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 20:59   Link #4853
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Funnily enough, I wasn't the one who translated any of those sentences.

The light and darkness I agree with.

The second sentence is: yes, 'little affairs' referring to small things that happen between the students.

The third sentence is missing a copule, the sentence after that just sounds weird, but it isn't inherently wrong.

At any rate, one will inevitably mess things up when translating, so yes, editors are needed.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 21:20   Link #4854
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
Well then great. Cause I'm going to start my run soon.
__________________
Asuras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 21:54   Link #4855
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elpis Colony, Jaburo, The hanger, Texas, Alkard
Age: 24
Why are resin conversion kits so damn expensive? its like i have to cut off my fingers with a cigar clipper
__________________

Last edited by Dragonar Fan; 2011-05-17 at 01:33.
Dragonar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 22:35   Link #4856
Akuma Kinomoto
木之本 悪魔
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 23
Maybe this is explained somewhere in the rules, or maybe there's a sticky on this, or maybe it's just general practice for some reason, but...

Why do the names of every single anime/manga/whatever on this site always get bolded? The way I've seen things happen on this site, I don't imagine speed reading does well for any discussion. So why does everyone feel so...bold? <_<
__________________
My MAL
Akuma Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 23:01   Link #4857
Masuzu
ヒーロー
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
Quote:
Many of these sentences are so amalgamated with useless, sometimes confusing words. The strangeness of it detracts my attention. Could just be me. This is what confuses me. Why is it left translated like this? If I were to sign up, would I be allowed to edit it?
i like the sentences you listed in their original form :/
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 03:41   Link #4858
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Maybe this is explained somewhere in the rules, or maybe there's a sticky on this, or maybe it's just general practice for some reason, but...

Why do the names of every single anime/manga/whatever on this site always get bolded? The way I've seen things happen on this site, I don't imagine speed reading does well for any discussion. So why does everyone feel so...bold? <_<
if you're in the suggestion or general anime sub-forum, then it should make senses for the sake of drawing attention to different parts of the post and so they don't miss the title[this would be bad in the suggestion forum if they did ], since the threads are for specific criteria or elements of shows, though outside of those two sub-forums I can't say I see names get bolded often. Or maybe people just like putting [B ][ /B], without spaces, around the title for fun?
__________________
Nanami Aoyama - Sakurasou no Pet na KanojoAvatar & Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 04:17   Link #4859
Masuzu
ヒーロー
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
oh, i have questions regarding anime

you see, when i first read about GOSICK, i kinda thought it would be like, a, um...hospital slice of life drama anime?

obviously that's not the case, so i was wondering

since i realized that well, i've never really seen an anime like that, so...

is there an anime like that?
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 07:09   Link #4860
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
oh, i have questions regarding anime

you see, when i first read about GOSICK, i kinda thought it would be like, a, um...hospital slice of life drama anime?

obviously that's not the case, so i was wondering

since i realized that well, i've never really seen an anime like that, so...

is there an anime like that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanbun_...ga_Noboru_Sora
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.