AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 46 52.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 27.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 14.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-16, 14:25   Link #141
wtfATOM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Random question - What version is more accurate? I watched another version of the same episode and this one during the conversation, Yukiatsu said anaru was gorgeous and then she got flustered, while the other version he said it's painful to watch you . Do you guys know which one's more accurate?

Last edited by wtfATOM; 2011-05-16 at 19:00.
wtfATOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 15:26   Link #142
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Moon (where Feena at <3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfATOM View Post
Random question - What version is more accurate? I watched another version of the same episode and this one during the conversation, Yukiatsu said she was gorgeous and then she got flustered, while the other version he said it's painful to watch you . Do you guys know which one's more accurate?
It would help if you'd given the rough timestamp of that line.

I'm guessing it's the line at around 16:34, after Yukiatsu feeling good about himself:

「それにしても…かなりイタイなお前」

The first translation is just completely BS, while the second one is kind of closer with "itai" taken as "痛い", but still not quite right. The "イタイ" there is a modern term meaning something like pathetic, so the line should be "By the way... you were pretty pathetic there".
__________________
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 18:57   Link #143
wtfATOM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
It would help if you'd given the rough timestamp of that line.

I'm guessing it's the line at around 16:34, after Yukiatsu feeling good about himself:

「それにしてもÖかなりイタイなお前」

The first translation is just completely BS, while the second one is kind of closer with "itai" taken as "痛い", but still not quite right. The "イタイ" there is a modern term meaning something like pathetic, so the line should be "By the way... you were pretty pathetic there".
Damnit. I guess the site im watching it on has bad translations.. I need to find a new one.
wtfATOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 01:02   Link #144
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfATOM View Post
Damnit. I guess the site im watching it on has bad translations.. I need to find a new one.
I've had to see different translations of the show to find out what Yukiatsu actually meant. I should have just asked here instead.


Spoiler for Ep. 6 preview:
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 10:09   Link #145
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
Yukiatsu is really a broken man inside..... the opening scene proved that.... that confession scene is really affect his life (ugh! I hope I won't be like him who still live in the past)

so right now there are three people who blamed themselves as Menma's 'killer'
I hate Yukiatsu but I need to thank him for saving Anaru.... XD
__________________

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 11:21   Link #146
idiffer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Russia, Moscow
Age: 26
Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
while most will now like yukiatsu for saving anaru, i will still hate him for being a prick in non-life -and-death matters and hate anaru for being so weak. she couldn't even defend herself properly when yukiatsu confronted her about the crush on jinta. if she hangs out with snobby whores, then she could have at least picked something up from them, like the ability to not get flustered at first mention of love-themed topics...
__________________
My posts seem retarted? I invoke the freedomof choice upon thee to choose one of the below.
a) Iím batshit insane or mentally challenged. Nyan!
b) Wasu~p?! *brofist*
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 14:53   Link #147
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Why would she need to "defend" herself? Is it wrong of her to maybe carry a torch? Does she need to lie about it?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 21:09   Link #148
wtfATOM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
@ idiffer It's cause she thinks no one knows that she likes him she even pretends not to and Yukiatsu just says it like its the truth. alot of people in that situation would get flustered.

@ paganpoor yea i really dont wanna do that for the remainder of the episodes. I gotta find a more legit site...

Is it wrong to ask for a spot to watch with good translations?

Last edited by wtfATOM; 2011-05-17 at 21:32.
wtfATOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 22:21   Link #149
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Seriously...

I can't really focus on the plot, until Jintan just get over his pathetic emo self and try to prove that Memma's ghost exist (or not)... He has been opening everyone wound and bloody hurt everyone. All these can simply be solved by proving Menma existence, which can't be any easier. And his bloody friends also must be idiots (sorry Poppo, i really like your personality, but you are one) to not suggest something so obvious and get it over with

The only way that i can focus on the storyline now is if i can turn my brain off, which i can't. So to me this series is a real frustration of the season
__________________

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2011-05-18 at 05:14.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 23:01   Link #150
darkmanure
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Proving her existence this early would be one of the most stupid decision for this series and they know better. This is a melodrama and it will be until the end, no easy button.
darkmanure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 00:44   Link #151
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Late review.

Easily the weakest of the episode thus far, Episode 5 really lacks the emotional depth of the previous episodes (though it ends on a high note) and ends up feeling short and transitional. Chief among my complaints are the fact that Yukiatsu's dilemma is seemingly casually shuffled off to the side (the writers even make the whole occurrence a taboo subject to the friends, making it actually impossible to discuss (if your best friend, or at least a former best friend, started cross dressing (for whatever reason), wouldn't you have a few words to say on the matter? Instead, Jintan and Menma have nothing to say on the matter, and everything si seemingly explained away in one breif expository scene with Yuruko); and we almost get another Fractale quagmire by requiring a storyline where yet another female character is molested unnecessarily (Anaru is stupid, but is she really that stupid? And what happened to all the fire that she's had in previous episodes? She should have kneed the pervert in the balls, and then kicked him when he's down. Instead she had to be saved...And to add insult to injury, they almost ruined One Piece for me ).

Additionally, a key problem, which has been growing for sometime, is the lack of coherency between the storylines, which results in bad pacing (the general transitions between scenes/characters was also annoying). Since the story has really opened up now to all 5(6) friends (well 3(4) of them at least), the time constraint is really becoming noticeable, as the writers have to juggle multiple intricate storylines simultaneously. Sadly, this results in a haphazard conclusion for Yukiatsu's obsession (as I briefly mentioned).

(Also of particular interest (for me at least) was the overwhelming bgm during the early quiet moment as Tsuruko explained Yukiatsu's obsession to the other friends; the music was simply overpowering for the scene if only because it was mixed too loud.)

That being said, the mystery of Tsuruko is still playing out nicely, and Jintan and Menma's development is going forward nicely (her cries of frustration at her ability (or should I say lack of ability) to accomplsih her goals, or even vocalize them, are quite heart felt; and Jintan's gradualy emergeance as a stabalizing force, even if he doesn't desire the role, is quite nice). Poppo also made a sudden interesting shift toward the extreme as he became frantic in his desire to help Menma (I smell angst on the horizon). So, the series still has plenty going on, I just hope the writers and directors have aired out some of the more problematic elements in the weeks ahead.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 03:25   Link #152
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
^ It's rare for me to disagree with every single point someone has made
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 04:19   Link #153
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Chief among my complaints are the fact that Yukiatsu's dilemma is seemingly casually shuffled off to the side (the writers even make the whole occurrence a taboo subject to the friends, making it actually impossible to discuss (if your best friend, or at least a former best friend, started cross dressing (for whatever reason), wouldn't you have a few words to say on the matter? Instead, Jintan and Menma have nothing to say on the matter, and everything si seemingly explained away in one breif expository scene with Yuruko)
I don't really agree with this. The most important thing to keep in mind is that all of them are distant from Yukiatsu except for Tsuruko, and by their own volition. In that respect, their reactions seem more realistic. They bring the issue up when they're with each other, but they don't really think about it otherwise.

Jintan is definitely the type of person who wouldn't dwell on someone's issues at this point, seeing how dismissive he is of everyone else so far.

As for Tsuruko and Anaru, their reactions are definitely in-character. Tsuruko listens but doesn't give undue attention to it, and Anaru is awkward and doesn't know how to approach the subject. Not to mention that Yukiatsu was basically controlling their conversation.

We don't know anything about Poppo so far, since he doesn't really appear much. Menma's reaction is the strange one, seeing how she seems so proactive in interacting with the others, but she seemed bothered by her own issues this episode. It's still strange how she didn't pay it any mind, but I'd say she's the only strange one, and it's not too strange considering what she was brooding about.

Yukiatsu had the best reaction, in my opinion, and I feel as if it's exactly what I would've done if that happened to me. He acted normally in regular situations [I mean, what else can you do?], but was seeking a reaction from the people who knew because it was a big issue for him. He was expecting scorn, which explains how relaxed he became with Anaru, since she provided the reaction that Tsuruko didn't.

But I do agree that this was more of a transitory episode. That being said, I don't agree that this concludes Yukiatsu's issues. It's being slowly resolved, instead of all at once like what normally occurs in anime.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 05:22   Link #154
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmanure View Post
Proving her existence this early would be one of the most stupid decision for this series and they know better. This is a melodrama and it will be until the end, no easy button.
Making their characters having an intelligence of 10 years old kid (over the existence of Menma) does not help either...

We probably all have to agree that the root of all these dramas coming from the stupidity of a character (Jin), and i can't stand that. My only other explanation is: Jintan actually an asshole, and he currently enjoy manipulating Menma existence to rampage over his friends emotion


Edit: oh wait, A-1 Pictures's original project. Now all of these (my apologize if you are a fan) stupidity is starting to make sense. One more episode for me then
Edit 2: on second thought, i should just drop it now....
__________________

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2011-05-18 at 05:40.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 06:20   Link #155
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Seems like everyone prefers to believe that Jintan is an idiot rather than Menma actually doesn't exist.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 06:55   Link #156
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I don't think it's possible to prove Menma's existence anyway. The rational approach would always be to believe there's a scientific explanation for anything Menma can do, regardless of whether you know it or not.

And as we can plainly see in the ending to this episode, Menma doesn't want to have to go through the misery of trying to prove she's there. It's horrifyingly furstrating for her.

And in any case, proving her existence won't solve anything anyway. If they all simply got together just because Menma's ghost is telling them to, that would be forcing the issue. It wouldn't solve anything. The problems are all still there.

And Jinta doesn't want to prove her existence because a part of him still thinks she's a hallucination. He's probably thinking that atleast he's sane enough to realise it. If he starts accepting her as reality and ends up being wrong, that's going to be a massive blow to his sanity.

And ofcourse it may be terrible that Jinta is so depressed all the time, but there are clear reasons for it. After suffering the death of his best friend he also had to endure the more drawn out process of his mum dying all whilst he was still a child. And his dad's incredibly passive approach to parenting hasn't helped matters either. It's no wonder he's a shut in.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 08:49   Link #157
VentAileron
Aha~ha~ha~
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Making their characters having an intelligence of 10 years old kid (over the existence of Menma) does not help either...
It's not a 10-year-old mentality to talk about the ghost of a deceased without questioning its existence. On the contrary, adults tend to do it a lot, especially the ones who have lost a close relative.

Talking about the deceased make people do strange things. Why else would people mourn? It's not as if the deceased can hear it, but are you sure? Maybe they can hear it. In either case, you will feel better yourself by talking about it.
The characters of the show are clearly broken by the death of one of their closest friends. Talking about it and pretending the ghost of said person had appeared can ease the pain and bring closure to that chapter.

There's also no rampaging over Jinta's friends either. I mean, ask yourself. What did they do up till now? Except coming together twice, they really haven't done much together. What did Jinta do up till now? It's not that he's forcing things on the others; he might have been the one who started with it all, but that was episode 2. After that, he got dragged into activities himself because of the others who wanted to fulfill Menma's wish, whatever that might be.

I still think Menma is indeed a hallucination by Jinta, but that doesn't make her presence less real.

@james0246
Your point seem to be solely based on that you expected the show to continue more on the Yukiatsu part. OceanBlue argued this greatly, so I will not repeat arguments. The only thing I have to add is that you've to consider if adding those scenes are actually worth it, or is that giving Yukiatsu too much screen-time?
I also don't see why you think there isn't a coherent storyline. Because of Jinta's actions, the group got together again and the old deep relationships between them start to resurface. It's those relationships that the series wants to slowly show us.
Transitions between characters are generally only annoying if the show focuses on one character for a very long time, but then suddenly jumps to another. This is generally not the case for AnoHana, because the jumping is frequent and focuses short. But I have to say that Anjou is getting a bit too much attention.

Last edited by VentAileron; 2011-05-18 at 09:31.
VentAileron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 09:31   Link #158
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't think it's possible to prove Menma's existence anyway. The rational approach would always be to believe there's a scientific explanation for anything Menma can do, regardless of whether you know it or not.
Poppo can tell Jintan to take up a set of card. Point it away from him, and tell him to ask Menma to read the cards in order

If Menma can't read it, then she shows that she has no ability to perceive, a.k.a Jintan hallucination. But if Memma can read it out and Jintan knowing which card is which without looking, then i will have to ask you about the scientific explanation for that? Psychic?

Quote:
And as we can plainly see in the ending to this episode, Menma doesn't want to have to go through the misery of trying to prove she's there. It's horrifyingly furstrating for her.

And in any case, proving her existence won't solve anything anyway. If they all simply got together just because Menma's ghost is telling them to, that would be forcing the issue. It wouldn't solve anything. The problems are all still there.

And Jinta doesn't want to prove her existence because a part of him still thinks she's a hallucination. He's probably thinking that atleast he's sane enough to realise it. If he starts accepting her as reality and ends up being wrong, that's going to be a massive blow to his sanity.
And ofcourse it may be terrible that Jinta is so depressed all the time, but there are clear reasons for it. After suffering the death of his best friend he also had to endure the more drawn out process of his mum dying all whilst he was still a child. And his dad's incredibly passive approach to parenting hasn't helped matters either. It's no wonder he's a shut in.
Wanna bet? The huge knot of this anime to be untied will be whether Menma really exist or not. And it will solve at least half (if not all) of the issues that we have right now

And running around looking for your hallucination, or eating your hallucination's cake is an crazy act by itself. So i doubt if he hasn't accepted her yet


Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
It's not a 10-year-old mentality to talk about the ghost of a deceased without questioning its existence. On the contrary, adults tend to do it a lot, especially the ones who have lost a close relative.

Talking about the deceased make people do strange things. Why else would people mourn? It's not as if the deceased can hear it, but are you sure? Maybe they can hear it. In either case, you will feel better yourself by talking about it.
The characters of the show are clearly broken by the death of one of their closest friends. Talking about it and pretending the ghost of said person had appeared can ease the pain and bring closure to that chapter.
I'm pretty sure mourning the dead are quite different with having a ghost "haunting" yourself day in day out...

Quote:
There's also no rampaging over Jinta's friends either. I mean, ask yourself. What did they do up till now? Except coming together twice, they really haven't done much together. What did Jinta do up till now? It's not that he's forcing things on the others; he might have been the one who started with it all, but that was episode 2. After that, he got dragged into activities himself because of the others who wanted to fulfill Menma's wish, whatever that might be.

I still think Menma is indeed a hallucination by Jinta, but that doesn't make her presence less real.
It's not what he did, but what he didn't do
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 09:35   Link #159
VentAileron
Aha~ha~ha~
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I'm pretty sure mourning the dead are quite different with having a ghost "haunting" yourself day in day out...
Please elaborate.
VentAileron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 09:43   Link #160
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
Please elaborate.
At least a billion people (Eastern Asia culture) would mourn a dear relative daily or sometime in their life. However, having a ghost (or hallucination) haunting you like Menma did, would be either an extraordinary event by itself, or a symptom that you are really sick in your head and should seeking for help
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.