AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-19, 10:17   Link #21
Endless Soul
Based on a True Story
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 45
As a white guy living near Los Angeles I've been subject to a lot of name calling throughout the years. "White Boy", "Honky" etc. and they weren't just joking around either. Those people were really venting their anger at me. I even got some flak after I got married to a Chinese girl.

No response was necessary, I just shrugged and moved on. In the end, the ones who toss the insults show themselves to be idiots.
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 21:27   Link #22
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Mitten Area.
Send a message via Skype™ to Otaku Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
"Oh, you're so Asian." "What an Asian fail!" "You're Asian, how come you're bad at math?" "Oh, you only got 100% on that test because you're Asian." These remarks might seem funny or amusing to some people but I find them really offensive, stereotypical and annoying.
You have no idea how many times I've been suspended in my old school for beating the crap out of people who have said those remarks.
Otaku Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 21:48   Link #23
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
For example, I'm at a nice school in Canada, Toronto, supposedly one of the most multicultural cities in the world.
Actually, Toronto is one of the most racist cities in Canada, not in terms of actual discrimination, but in its cultural atmosphere. The city's too much part of the Commonwealth in all the worst ways: so attached to its own white past that it refuses to make room for more colorful ones, or, under the semblance of tolerance, encourages only the exotic parts.

Anyway, I'm a Kyoto-ben speaking Japanese/Korean fujoshi lesbian, a combination that is pretty much a lightening rod. But I can live with it.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 23:27   Link #24
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
Quote:
The most popular form of that, which I actually have experienced firsthand, is one directed towards Visayans, who are known for their bad accent by Imperial Manila's standards.
oh, right the bisaya thing, how could i forget


Quote:
Whenever people play Defense of the Ancients (DotA) together for example, a losing player is often trash-talked to by the winning player in full view of the people around the internet cafe and sometimes called a "Bisaya/Visayan" in addition to those trash-talks.
strange, i play dota but have never heard anybody's accent get dissed

like i said, nothing in these parts

i guess it depends on where you are, i don't really live in a place you'd consider a city
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 04:13   Link #25
solidguy
I'm not a tumor
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the dreams of beautiful women
Age: 21
Also through my experiences ive found asians males to be alittle bit racist. But its a not on purpose kinda thing, get it?
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 00:10   Link #26
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
back when I was in highschool there was always a lot of tension between blacks and latinos during my freshman and sophomore year .there were times I was called racist names and my country was being made fun and couldn't just let that go so I ended up getting into fights which resulted me getting suspended.weapons were sometimes used I remember one time some black kid hit one of my friends arm and broke it. I won't go into details after what happened but you can take a guess
__________________
Cold~as~Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 01:40   Link #27
Who
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY, USA
Age: 23
Faced some resentment at work today. Was introducing myself to my co-workers, and they asked if I was Chinese. I told them I that I'm Korean, and their attitude changed almost immediately. Long story short, they view me as inferior now. They're still civil when I'm in the vicinity, but I overheard some not so nice things when my back was turned.

Another recent occurrence was a few weeks ago when I was looking for housing off-campus for next semester. We got denied housing because one of my friends was white and the landlord said that "white people always destroy the house, so I can't rent it to him at all." He told my other friend and I that we could stay (the landlord and my friend are Chinese; I just kept my mouth shut). The white friend was in shock for a while since it was the first time in his life that he'd ever been discriminated against and he didn't know how to take it.

I treat people I don't know equally, and most of my acquaintances as well. I save the racist remarks for those who know me best, since we're all close friends (i.e: they get burgers at a restaurant and they try and order dog meat for me; I gave one of my black friends gardening tools for his birthday with a card saying "it's to help you pick my cotton better") and we won't get offended by one another.

Edit:
Oh jeez, I just realized this thread got necroposted extremely hard by the guy above me.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 02:17   Link #28
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
There's a deeply rooted hatred for blacks and hispanics here in Texas.
I gather there's a closet racist on nearly every other block.

Only thing that changed over the years is how expressive they are.

What's funny is, a lot of (predominately white) co-workers I had in the time I lived here, they don't seem at all concerened to tell me how they "feel" about blacks and hispanics. Apparently me being Japanese was not even slightly a concern to them that I might not share their sentiments. Puzzling, really.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 02:55   Link #29
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
America is the least racist. I've been all over Europe, northern Africa, China/Korea, and South America, and I can say this:

In most of the world, 'racism' isn't even on the collective conscience. I've met a lot of people-some whom I consider dear friends-out there that don't even think twice about their racism.

Whether it's a Belgian friend treating a French person like dirt, or a Chinese friend treating a 'black' person like dirt, America is about the only place I've ever been where people-even those who are racist-actually seem to collectively acknowledge that 'racism' is even a thing.

In most other places, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being racist.

As for my own personal view, while my own upbringing has made me into a human being who consciously tries not to be racist, objectively, I can't really support the idea that we should dictate to people the terms on which they are allowed to like or dislike someone.

It's always seemed downright silly to me, how people are ok with some lines of discrimination (many of which, I suspect, most people don't even think about), but get into righteous fits over others.

It's a big world. There are going to be people who don't like you, for whatever reason. Get over it.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 02:57   Link #30
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Making people too mad to respond
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It appears to me that people are more offended when they are on the receiving end of it. It also seems to be less offensive if you make a racist comment about a group you are a part of. I did laugh when at least two of my friends separately said they refused to pay gold to expand the stash in Diablo 3 because "they were asian". And then I didn't either, and well... -_-;

In any case, unsolicited racist comments are definitely not appreciated. You have to know someone well enough to do that kind of stuff.

It's only natural for human beings to stereotype; there's too many things in the world to process, so we simplify it and look for patterns. But racism is basically the combination of many truths into a lie. While the original traits for a stereotype may have existed (abeit exaggerated) the flaw is in assuming this is a universal truth that all people of a certain group are like that just because some might be.

In the end, be considerate of others before you say or so something. Otherwise you come across as a huge douchebag and playing the "You shouldn't be so serious" just doubles your douche rating.
__________________
God damn, there's so much bad fanservice out there. Touch me and I'll beat the crap out of you!
You are about to move into areas of the anime industry with wonders you cannot possibly imagine. And terrors to freeze your soul.

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 03:05   Link #31
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 32
I actually don't know what is worst, you have the racism were people throw dreck at you and the other type, were you get first seats in every occasion, for example a job position, because they have to fill the colour skin, religion and gender ratio.
Personally I think both are bad, because it just discriminates one as an individual.

Personally I have experience racism all my life, form the western side you get the chinky shit, being accused for a drug dealer (I had a few people coming to me asking for weed, for some reason), science genius and so on. But what is worst for some reason chinese and east asian people tend to think that me and my sister are have parents for two different ethic groups and you get shit thrown from that side as well. I cannot image how difficult it is for people who have parents from two different cultures. I mean if I get that crap sometimes it must be hell for them.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 03:12   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
There's a deeply rooted hatred for blacks and hispanics here in Texas.
I gather there's a closet racist on nearly every other block.

Only thing that changed over the years is how expressive they are.

What's funny is, a lot of (predominately white) co-workers I had in the time I lived here, they don't seem at all concerened to tell me how they "feel" about blacks and hispanics. Apparently me being Japanese was not even slightly a concern to them that I might not share their sentiments. Puzzling, really.
My wife (japanese-american) has had the same experience many times when we lived in Texas (white people mouthing off about non-whites while she's sitting right there....). Its like 'asian' isn't on their mental radar at all and they're too stupid to get a clue.

Most of my wife and I mutual experiences range from glares when we were dating in the '70s (either japanese businessmen in the shopping district or white guys with the whiff of the KKK on them) or her getting mistaken for chinese, mexican, korean, even *italian* ... o.O. And often by the people of those ethnics (hilarious).

Here in Oregon once you get outside the metro area into the rural and coastal towns, my son has been pulled over many times for "driving while Mexican" (he's hapa). There's no mistaking it - he's done nothing wrong and they walk up with a smartass "Hola, Jose". Sometimes he responds in Japanese and sometimes in his nastiest Texas accent - after that its face-saving time by the sorry excuse of a police officer. One time they pulled him over when he was dating a white girl and they asked her if she was okay...

Myself... outside of being mistaken for butch gay (for some reason when my son and I are roaming about, they automatically assume he's my boy-toy <rofl> he's rather good looking and doesn't look like me at all) I haven't had many problems. I'm often the only white person around in many situations and so its the "dancing bear" routine.
-- spent a year delivering mail to all-black and latino neighborhoods, the hippy-biker mailman.
-- often in restaurants where I'm the only white person... mostly its "watch him and see if he does something stoooopid"
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 03:16   Link #33
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
I have encountered numerous, pretty much countless of racist occurrences, some of which certainly had befallen me, being a mish-mash of several ethnic groups myself with a tint of Yemeni-Hejazi descent living in a country of 300 something ethnic groups.

In Indonesia, Arabic ancestry, for several reasons, occasionally gets associated with weird, funny stuff, including their physical traits such as that distinctive nose. Of course since they're usually muslims so they don't have it as bad as the Chinese, but getting prankfully called "camel" or "syeikh" just means friday. I'm only 97% pribumi, so my semitic phenotypes show quite boldly in my face. However, for some people it can be rather difficult to tell apart between West and South Asians so I got confused with Shah Rukh Khan for many times since we both have similar nose...

Dad is half-Javanese, half (Arab-descended) Mollucan, while mom is a Batak of Harahap surname, so I got mistaken for a christian sometimes. Usually it's okay, save for this one occasion when I visited a friend who belong to some weird, strict Islamic sect that teaches that non-believers are filthy so you should mop your floor whenever they're doing a visit to your home. My friend knew of my muslim background, but his dad didn't. To be fair, at least a third of the Harahaps are christians. But sometimes getting mistaken as a christian helps me whenever dealing with the more Islamophobic/paranoid kind of non-muslims...

I was raised in an exceptionally multiethnic family collectively rich with experience of dealing with pretty much every kind of people so I'm very well accustomed with pluralism. In fact I kinda do worse in the more homogeneous environments. Currently I'm residing in a semi-countryside 2 hours with bus from Bandung, West Java, and unfortunately ended up in a more culturally-aware corner of the campus.
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 03:18   Link #34
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Myself... outside of being mistaken for butch gay (for some reason when my son and I are roaming about, they automatically assume he's my boy-toy <rofl> he's rather good looking and doesn't look like me at all) I haven't had many problems.
You sure he is your son ^^, someone had to ask it.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 03:26   Link #35
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Myself... outside of being mistaken for butch gay (for some reason when my son and I are roaming about, they automatically assume he's my boy-toy <rofl> he's rather good looking and doesn't look like me at all) I haven't had many problems.
Well to be fair, 'father and son' isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when one sees a leather-clad biker Santa Claus walking around with a young haafu J-rapper dude.

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 04:32   Link #36
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
I once watched a documentary about tracing human ancestry. Turned out that it's very likely that every single human of every race or ethnicity in every part of the world now is of African descent. These groups of ancient African migrated out of that continent to eventually settle the whole world.

And yet how ironic is it that most African races are on the receiving end of racism?
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 04:38   Link #37
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I once watched a documentary about tracing human ancestry. Turned out that it's very likely that every single human of every race or ethnicity in every part of the world now is of African descent. These groups of ancient African migrated out of that continent to eventually settle the whole world.

And yet how ironic is it that most African races are on the receiving end of racism?
They say that usually people of the origins tend to develop less rapidly then those descended from the colonizers.

But in case of Africa, I'll blame Tse Tse flies.
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 05:22   Link #38
Zakoo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gensokyo
I personally still wonder how you define a race for the human being. We arent birds or something like that.

About Africa, i think it s mostly due about their technological retard compared to the 4 others continent. Likewise i m sure when Arabs and ottoman empire were at the top, they must have considered us like some pigs.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 06:41   Link #39
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kitch-Water and T.O., Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
I like racism to some light interpersonal extent. But when the law itself is racially prejudice, I'd be really offended and angry.

Racism is like AIDS, spreads and I'd believe to be impossible to cure. No matter how much I wish I was unbiased, I'm still a racist on the inside. I just shut up whenever I have something racist in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I once watched a documentary about tracing human ancestry. Turned out that it's very likely that every single human of every race or ethnicity in every part of the world now is of African descent. These groups of ancient African migrated out of that continent to eventually settle the whole world.

And yet how ironic is it that most African races are on the receiving end of racism?
I don't see the logic in this. Racism today has nothing to do with where we all originated from. As of right now, Africans appear different and live differently than non africans (and South Africans).

It's mostly cultural profiling. A lot of white supremecists bash jews. From my Asian perspective, a Jewish person looks pretty caucasian to me lol. For them, it's religion and culture.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 06:42   Link #40
konart
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Moscow, RU
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to konart
This thread calls for Avenue Q:

__________________
Signature removed. Please check the forum signature rules before trying to upload another one. If you have questions, feel free to contact a mod through PM.
konart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.