AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 25 31.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 32.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 22.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 12.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-20, 14:39   Link #61
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Such an excellent series.

I also really liked Jintan protecting Anaru like that.

Regarding Anaru's friends actually caring for her, I must admit that I thought they might show it - I've seen things like that often happen, and the show has been making efforts (successful ones imo) to really portray RL emotional struggles, realities and the like.

I've always smiled a little to myself that they've used a "fictional element" like a ghost as the driving force to make the story and the portrayal of these RL elements manifest themselves. When I saw the first episode I was actually a little reminded of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" (in the sense of a ghost driving the story, I mean).

Anyway, very good ep. I gave it 8/10.
Old 2011-05-20, 15:19   Link #62
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
That was a fine screw around episode. He finally goes to school and makes a fool of himself, but it's worth it.

At least Naruko had fun with it too. I'd expect her to flip out and slap him for the ridiculous things he said. So it's going along well. Fun makes time pass really quick.

And yea, people just can't forget about Menma. I think the last half is really going to have our cast confront it once and for all. But Jintan just runs away to the "angst bridge", probably the same one from Shakugan no Shana.

Also, lol @ random tire. So what is she doing at night? And more of Tsuriko. 8/10

At the very end: Kyubey is that you?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-05-20, 15:23   Link #63
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
Spoiler for oh really Jintan?:
Not really.

I surely hope no one believed in that. If it's a purposeful troll attempt, I have to say, it's a pretty tasteless one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
Spoiler for Episode 6:
Did some research, don't think anyone got it. I'm tempted to say the line should be taken literally, even though I seriously doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I dunno if I'm late to the party, in fact I probably am, but Jintan's "virgin" line about Anaru was extra hilarious to me.

I mean, think about it. Tomatsu Haruka.

Heh, what are you implying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
Honestly...the only thing I didnt like was menma crying again, that scene I felt could have been done without waterfalls from her face
As much as people complain about Menma crying too much, I think the crying in this episode is justified. Kind of, at least. And it didn't make me feel out of place or anything so it's all good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
At the very end: Kyubey is that you?
Lol, you're thinking too much. That does resemble Hamutaro alright, even though I'm more thinking about Pikachu (from someone who never watched Pokemon ).
Old 2011-05-20, 15:26   Link #64
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
One of the things I have found the most interesting about the series is the fact that Menma herself cannot remember what it is she wants the others to do. The title of the series gives a teasing possible hint at this (no guarantees that the title is related to Menma's wish, though).

This recent episode has the newly revealed fact that Menma called everyone together the day before she died for advice on something and has some of her friends getting a hold of her diary from when she was alive.

Again - it is very possible that these events will show the very thing Menma is hoping the others would fulfill for her, but again (curiously) no guarantees.

For all we know none of these things could be the key for Menma to be at peace - they could be the catalyst for an unexpected event that allows her to finally be at rest, though....
Old 2011-05-20, 15:55   Link #65
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Moving on:

Anyone who ever school time and felt a panic attack at having to return knows just how hard that was for Jintan. His awkwardness is more than understandable.

I definitely see the question of "moving on" as a growing and vital theme of this series. Menma's parents are at the extremes of the scale, but the Busters are all dealing with it in their own way. This is a difficult subject for anyone, and a central tenet of Buddhist enlightenment is not surrendering to attachments - be they to lost loved on, material things, etc. But is what Menma's father has done - packing her memories safely away in a box and sealing them tight - any better than what her mother has done? This is central to Jintan's dilemma - not just that the fact that he can see his dead sweetheart, but that he's glad he can see her. And to him, his intellect is saying both of those are wrong.
Old 2011-05-20, 16:01   Link #66
CWW
Lurker

The classroom scene was definitely a d'awww moment for me and I normally can't stand awkward scenes, but as you may have been aware, I'm a little biased towards Jinta. :P

So I was partially right about the motto of the story is related to not forgetting your loved ones (be they dead or alive) and the memories you shared together. Menma's father is pretty heartless in that regard. I'm beginning to wonder if Menma's his legitimate daughter as they are nothing alike. I feel pretty bad about Menma's mother.

Oh, and finally, it looks like Anjou's crush is of the unrequited kind as I was almost positive Jinta was about to proclaim his true feelings before the nosebleed. :sadface: Jinta's also taking it pretty hard about Menma showing up.
Old 2011-05-20, 16:11   Link #67
Blaat

An excellent episode (although anal, I mean Anaru, needs to stop being a damsel in distress) , and seeing Occult Academy again was a nice added bonus.
Old 2011-05-20, 17:26   Link #68
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Thank you Jintan for the best line of the episode. "There's no doubt. She's definitely a virgin." Then getting smoked by the can .

But really good job by Jintan in stepping up for Anaru. Considering he wasn't even able to get himself to go to school before, standing up and making that fuss took a lot of guts. Could feel how difficult this was for him, but he kept on going anyways. Couldn't let Anaru just sit there suffering without at least trying to do something. Though geeze every time he tries to go to school something like this happens .

In terms of her friends I'm not sure what they felt at the end there. But it's clear and hopefully is becoming clear to them that they don't understand Anaru at all. Saying something like she screwed up without realizing at all that she would never just go to a love hotel or sleep around. If they aren't going to be dumped as friends during this series something will need to happen.

Going to Menma's house was tough on them, but clearly getting that diary will be important. Along with the realization of Yukiatsu and Tsuruko they have some clues. There was something important Menma wanted to talk about and maybe if they can resolve that it will be enough to help her. Though not sure what it could have been about. Can understand Jintan getting upset at the end there. Lying to herself about wanting to be forgotten by her mother though also hurting because she can see how in pain her mother is. She's lost in terms of how to move on or what her wish is supposed to be. Jintan being so frustrated could also be as simple as Menma is talking about her mother like that and yet here she is in front of Jintan making him deal with all these emotions.
Old 2011-05-20, 19:06   Link #69
cyth
Banned

Here's a good kicker for those who argue AnoHana lacks realism: that flying can would probably have killed Jintan on the spot if the show was earnest about conforming to the rules of reality. Canned fruit is fucking heavy.
Old 2011-05-20, 19:23   Link #70
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

That ending scene was just okay.

It would've been much funnier if just as Jinta starts nose bleeding, 'Secret Base' begins to play in the background.
Old 2011-05-20, 21:29   Link #71
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Spoiler for SPOILERS: Menma cries:
Old 2011-05-20, 23:27   Link #72
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post

Spoiler:
That's not your fault. It's just a really questionable decision on Okada's part.

I don't know where she's getting this notion that having Menma cry every single episode is a good idea. Of course many viewers are going to notice that, and grow numb to it. Menma is fast approaching a level currently occupied by E8 Mikuru Asahina and Excel Saga's Pedro.

The handling of Menma has become the one real weak spot in an otherwise excellent anime, in my opinion. It in turn is making Menma the weakest character overall for me. The rest of the cast is wonderful, and with this episode I found myself being thankful to have fewer Menma scenes and more scenes focusing on other core cast members.

Anaru, Jinta, and Poppo have great chemistry together, and so does Anaru and Jinta by themselves. Anaru is really a fun character.

Also good to see some school scenes with Yukiatsu and Tsuruko. The school scenes in general brought some plot movement and a touch more lightheartedness to this anime.

As for Jinta's awkward speech, I didn't fast forward through it, but it did make me wince a bit. Still, his heart was clearly in the right place, and the net effect of it was probably beneficial. So good job by him overall.
Old 2011-05-21, 00:00   Link #73
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I think Menma crying at least once per ep is becoming a meme now.
Old 2011-05-21, 00:09   Link #74
james0246

Besides being far better than Episode 5 (which was a real mess), Episode 6 really gets the series back on track as we focus almost exclusively on Jintan and his "trauma" (or whatever he calls his angst) and how it affects his interactions with the other characters. I appreciate his speech to his classmates, and I really liked his speech to Menma. In fact, every scene with Jintan was quite good. Sadly, this made the scenes without him a little awkward (for example, the cut to Tsuruko and Yukiatsu felt a little forced, and their school scene (while adequately mentioned as to be transitioned too), felt very uninteresting, though their conversation on the train ride home was partially interesting.) Still, the pacing felt off (too fast), and the brevity of certain scenes (Menma's mother...who I will address momentarily) really hampered the drama. But, it was still better than last week’s episode .

Additionally, I really liked Menma's mother. Her role may be simplistic, but she, more than any other character, reflects the powerlessness and hopelessness of outliving a child. Jintan description of her depression wasn't even close the pain and suffering a parent must feel when they outlive their child. (Then again, I may be biased since one of my current favourite shows on American television is The Killing, a series about how the death of a young woman affects a variety of different people, including her parents.)

That being said, of particular interest was the ramifications of Anaru's harassment. I'm actually glad the writers choose to have her victimization (of which I hated) highlighted, specifically how 'society' judges the victim. True, this was another case where the writers seem to shove an entire series worth of discussions out the window just for one big character moment (similar to Yukiatsu's suddenly cured obsession with Menma, the consequences of the rumours surrounding Anaru will undoubtedly be ignored henceforth after one simple scene), but the writers manage to make this moment more natural, and the ramifications (i.e. the rumours will not play a part in the rest of the story) more acceptable.

Additionally, unlike other viewers, I have no problem with Menma's tears. As far as I'm concerned, the writers have more than justified her frustrations and fears (frustrations at being unable to change anything; fears at not knowing herself and not remembering what she has wished for), and her tears simply exemplify what any human (or ghost) would feel in her situation.
Old 2011-05-21, 00:19   Link #75
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post

As much as people complain about Menma crying too much, I think the crying in this episode is justified. Kind of, at least. And it didn't make me feel out of place or anything so it's all good to me.
Hmm maybe, but...I just can't care anymore when she does =/ it had an effect before but since I am *expecting* it now I'm just like "Oh, again. Whatever."

With that said, I am certainly enjoying this show.

Spoiler for Tsuriko:
Old 2011-05-21, 00:42   Link #76
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post

Additionally, unlike other viewers, I have no problem with Menma's tears. As far as I'm concerned, the writers have more than justified her frustrations and fears (frustrations at being unable to change anything; fears at not knowing herself and not remembering what she has wished for), and her tears simply exemplify what any human (or ghost) would feel in her situation.
Her frustrations and fears may be justified, but that doesn't mean that her tears are.

If crying is the only coping mechanism a character has for dealing with frustrations and fears, that doesn't say much about that character, in my opinion.

Always keeping emotions bottled up isn't healthy, no, but Menma is displaying the opposite extreme. Neither extreme is good, in my opinion.

But what it says about Menma is actually secondary to the impact that her very frequent crying is having on many viewers.

In drama, it's important to know when to "pick your spots", so to speak. It's important to know when to go for something bold and loud, and when to go for something subtle and merely suggestive.

By having Menma crying every episode, the balance between the two is off. Subtlety is entirely lost (at least when it comes to Menma), and bold/loud scenes are overrepresented when it comes to her. The viewer grows accustomed to the bold/loud scenes, and they basically don't seem "special" anymore.

In my opinion, non-comedic scenes where a character cries profusely should be emotionally powerful, but that requires not overusing such scenes. Basically, many viewers are getting desensitized to Menma crying. I know that I am.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-05-21 at 00:56.
Old 2011-05-21, 00:50   Link #77
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:
Count me in as not having a problem with her tears as well. Even though she is older looking, her mindset is still that of the child she was when she died. Coupled with her not knowing much of why she is there, I wouldn't expect her to react like an adolescent much less an older person.
Old 2011-05-21, 01:11   Link #78
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Her frustrations and fears may be justified, but that doesn't mean that her tears are.

If crying is the only coping mechanism a character has for dealing with frustrations and fears, that doesn't say much about that character, in my opinion.
Menma seems to be facing her problems fairly head on (her entire existence may be in doubt (hell, she’s even looking for her own ghost ), but she is still pushing forward looking for answers, even if she is crying along the way), so I am unclear why you are simply explaining her tears as a coping mechanism (not to say they are not a coping mechanism, but since she is facing her problems, they are clearly not harmful, and since she always cries with friends, it's obviously a healthy way of relieving stress (as opposed to locking herself away and crying continuously)).

Additionally, and this is a point many have ignored, Menma seems to have a mental state equivalent to a 10 year old (or however old she as when she died). So, judging based on what you expect from a 16 year old character seems a bit disingenuous.

You may consider her crying to be annoying (why do you think babies do it? ), but simply because they are annoying does not mean her tears are unjustified.

edit:
Quote:
desensitized
Her crying has served a purpose every time, so I'm a little confused as to why the audience is becoming desensitized to the drama of her crying. Additionally, have you ever thought that maybe she is crying so much so that one day, when she decides to not cry, it actually means something? I can think of no better way to visually show the change of an emotionally fragile character like Menma from innocent youth to wise adult, than to not cry...If this is how her character evolves and changes, then her crying becomes not just justified, but prevalent to the plot...
Old 2011-05-21, 01:20   Link #79
Raiga
tl;dr

Jinta gets major man points for that. I mean damn, since when does the angsty hikikomori pull off a stunt like that on his first day back in school?

Don't have much to say. Loved this episode like the rest. Can't believe it's half over already.
Old 2011-05-21, 01:29   Link #80
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Menma seems to be facing her problems fairly head on...
Actually, I find that debatable. Menma is getting so caught up in her emotions that she's frequently failing to apply calm critical thinking to how to overcome, or at least ameliorate, her current plight. Why didn't she think to check her own Diary for a clue as to what her wish might be, for example?

In Episode 5, when Poppo is desperately trying to see her, why doesn't she think of doing something to make him notice her? By this point, she knows that Poppo can feel her presence when she touches him, so it shouldn't be that hard for her to make her presence known to him (mind you, this is as much Jinta's error as Menma's).

These are things that even a 10 year old is generally smart enough to think of, and Menma has shown in other scenes a capacity for smart thinking.

So I do see where her emotionality is hindering her progress.

Quote:
so I am unclear why you are simply explaining her tears as a coping mechanism
Crying in general is a coping mechanism (except when people are moved to tears of joy, which I don't think is the case for Menma).

In some cases, it's perfectly justified and possibly even helpful. But as a person's only coping mechanism, it is usually more hurtful than helpful, as it can get in the way of more practical solutions.

Quote:

Additionally, and this is a point many have ignored, Menma seems to have a mental state equivalent to a 10 year old (or however old she as when she died). So, judging based on what you expect from a 16 year old character seems a bit disingenuous.
I'm not making any such judgment. Menma's frequent crying is excessive even for a 10 year old, in my opinion.

Quote:
You may consider her crying to be annoying (why do you think babies do it? ), but simply because they are annoying does not mean her tears are unjustified.
I find it annoying because I can tell that it's lowering the effectiveness of scenes like this for me. I don't like being desensitized to scenes that are clearly intended to be emotionally powerful, but it can't be helped because I'm just growing numb to it all.

At a drama level, Okada is overplaying her hand by having Menma cry so much. For some viewers and myself, these scenes are losing the effectiveness that they should have because they're being overused.

Quote:

Her crying has served a purpose every time,
Her crying was in response to something in particular every time, but that doesn't mean it serves a purpose. Many of those scenes would get the impact of that something across without Menma crying.

In this episode, for example, I don't need to see Menma crying in order to understand how she doesn't want her mother to be hurt by lingering memories of her.

Quote:
I can think of no better way to visually show the change of an emotionally fragile character like Menma from innocent youth to wise adult, than to not cry...If this is how her character evolves and changes, then her crying becomes not just justified, but prevalent to the plot...
And my fear is the complete opposite - that this anime will end with all of the core cast crying in a climatic scene, and I won't be able to shed a tear or even feel much of anything over it, because Okada will have thoroughly desensitized me to crying scenes in this anime.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-05-21 at 01:43.
Closed Thread