AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 25 31.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 32.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 22.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 12.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-21, 01:40   Link #81
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I find it annoying because I can tell that it's lowering the effectiveness of scenes like this for me. I don't like being desensitized to scenes that are clearly intended to be emotionally powerful, but it can't be helped because I'm just growing numb to it all.
I agree with your assessment that the crying lessens the lets say "emotional impact" in the sense it doesn't invoke any desire to ball your eyes out like it did in episode 1. However, I'm actually wondering if that is what they're going for in the other episodes. Couldn't it also be possible that the crying is supposed to invoke a sense of being uncomfortable?

I mean looking at it from Jintan's perspective, he always becomes upset, annoyed, and really uncomfortable with her crying as was showcased exactly in this episode. That is practically what much of the audience feels as well I would think.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 01:43   Link #82
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
The classroom scene was definitely a d'awww moment for me and I normally can't stand awkward scenes, but as you may have been aware, I'm a little biased towards Jinta. :P

So I was partially right about the motto of the story is related to not forgetting your loved ones (be they dead or alive) and the memories you shared together. Menma's father is pretty heartless in that regard.
He's no more heartless than Menma for wanting her mother to forget her. He saw his wife destroying herself by dwelling on Menma. He did what he could to care for the living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Thank you Jintan for the best line of the episode. "There's no doubt. She's definitely a virgin." Then getting smoked by the can .
Lines. Don't forget "She's got a love hotel face".

Quote:
But really good job by Jintan in stepping up for Anaru. Considering he wasn't even able to get himself to go to school before, standing up and making that fuss took a lot of guts. Could feel how difficult this was for him, but he kept on going anyways. Couldn't let Anaru just sit there suffering without at least trying to do something. Though geeze every time he tries to go to school something like this happens .
It'd be funny if the rumors become "the reason he didn't step out of his house for months is that she exhausted him".


BTW, is it me, or did he mention "glasses" several times? Does he have a thing for them?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 01:47   Link #83
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Prediction: Menma's wish was for all the Super Peace Busters to remain together forever. The series will end with Jintan, Anaru, Poppo, Yukiatsu, and Tsuruko turning into ghosts so that they can be with Menma forever in the afterlife. I think that would be a touching ending...
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 01:47   Link #84
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I agree with your assessment that the crying lessens the lets say "emotional impact" in the sense it doesn't invoke any desire to ball your eyes out like it did in episode 1. However, I'm actually wondering if that is what they're going for in the other episodes. Couldn't it also be possible that the crying is supposed to invoke a sense of being uncomfortable?

I mean looking at it from Jintan's perspective, he always becomes upset, annoyed, and really uncomfortable with her crying as was showcased exactly in this episode. That is practically what much of the audience feels as well I would think.
That's an interesting perspective, I admit.

If the crying scenes are intended to annoy the viewer (and hence make him or her relate more to Jinta's perspective), then they've become quite effective for me, lol.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 01:57   Link #85
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Actually, I find that debatable. Menma is getting so caught up in her emotions that she's frequently failing to apply calm critical thinking to how to overcome, or at least ameliorate, her current plight. Why didn't she think to check her own Diary for a clue as to what her wish might be, for example?

In Episode 5, when Poppo is desperately trying to see her, why doesn't she think of doing something to make her notice her? By this point, she knows that Poppo can feel her presence when she touches him, so it shouldn't be that hard for her to make her presence known to him (mind you, this is as much Jinta's error as Menma's).
That has less to do with Menma, and more to do with the writers/director refusing to answer whether Menma is a ghost or not (in which case, you can argue that all the characters have been dumbed down to facilitate this mystery (why doesn't Jintan, at any time since episode 01, just have Menma move a tea cup in front of his friends?)). If Menma did "do something", then we would know she has a physical presence (or at least a presence that can affect the physical world), which in turn would answer the question of the supernatural.

That being said, the entire scene was supposed to reflect Menma's frustrated impotence at not being able to adequately address her problem. In other words, for this scene in particular, for the emotional drama to actually have depth, she could not do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
These are things that even a 10 year old is generally smart enough to think of, and Menma has shown in other scenes a capacity for smart thinking.

So I do see where her emotionality is hindering her progress.
I'm unclear which 10 year olds you've dealt with, but whenever I have dealt with young children, they have never been as cool and calm as you are making them out to be...I guess we just roll in different elementary-schooler circuits .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Crying in general is a coping mechanism (except when people are moved to tears of joy, which I don't think is the case for Menma).

In some cases, it's perfectly justified and possibly even helpful. But as a person's only coping mechanism, it is usually more hurtful than helpful, as it can get in the way of more practical solutions.
Firstly, this entire line of argument relies solely on the possibility that Menma is real. If she is just a mental construct of Jintan's, then her entire disposition is reflective of his own psychosis, which in turn means he wants Menma to cry so that he can, in turn, change himself to help her, which in turn will actually be helping himself (a kind of reverse psychology, if you will).

Secondly, if she is a ghost, it could be said that Menma's "practical solution" was to seek help from Jintan. She clearly cannot solve the problem herself (she is, more or less, 10 after all), so she has approached her leader for help. Since then, she has tried to help him solve her mystery, even if her help is more humorous than actually helpful. (It could even be said that she uses her crying as a tool to force Jintan to help her...)

Whatever the case, and to paraphrase something Tiny said last discussion thread, it is Menma's crying that moves the plot. The mystery of her existence will not be solved by Poppo's tomfoolery, of Yukiatsu's obsession, or Tsuruko's cold logic, or Anaru's big breasts. It will be solved in the discussion (and crying) between Jintan and Menma as they both attempt to break free of the stresses that bind them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm not making any such judgment. Menma's frequent crying is excessive even for a 10 year old, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
At a drama level, Okada is overplaying her hand by having Menma cry so much. For some viewers and myself, these scenes are losing the effectiveness that they should have because they're being overused.
Fair enough. I disagree, but fair enough.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 02:14   Link #86
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He's no more heartless than Menma for wanting her mother to forget her. He saw his wife destroying herself by dwelling on Menma. He did what he could to care for the living.


Lines. Don't forget "She's got a love hotel face".
I'll admit he did a good job with that line too . Not bad for a speech he just came up with on the spot.

Quote:
It'd be funny if the rumors become "the reason he didn't step out of his house for months is that she exhausted him".

BTW, is it me, or did he mention "glasses" several times? Does he have a thing for them?
It would be pretty comical and certainly possible with them leaving the room together.

Funny enough was just rewatching that scene and noticed him bring up glasses a few times. Could just be that he was running out of ideas of things to say so he just kept falling back on glasses. They are a pretty obvious thing to focus on visually. But think your theory on it is more entertaining .
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 02:18   Link #87
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That has less to do with Menma, and more to do with the writers/director refusing to answer whether Menma is a ghost or not (in which case, you can argue that all the characters have been dumbed down to facilitate this mystery (why doesn't Jintan, at any time since episode 01, just have Menma move a tea cup in front of his friends?)). If Menma did "do something", then we would know she has a physical presence (or at least a presence that can affect the physical world), which in turn would answer the question of the supernatural.

That being said, the entire scene was supposed to reflect Menma's impotent frustration at not being able to adequately address her problem.
But the thing is that she isn't impotent to adequately address her problem here, as it wouldn't be hard for her to demonstrate her presence to Poppo.

I'm willing to let it slide that characters are being dumbed down in order to avoid definitively answering the question of if Menma is a ghost or not. However, when that dumbing down results in other issues arising (such as Menma crying over something that she could address in a more practical way), I become a bit less forgiving of it.

It's not perfectly justifiable for a person to cry over something that can be easily fixed.


Quote:
I'm unclear which 10 year olds you've dealt with, but whenever I have dealt with young children, they have never been as cool and calm as you are making them out to be...I guess we just roll in different elementary-schooler circuits .
I never said that Menma wasn't cool or calm enough for a 10 year old. I said that I found her crying excessive for a 10 year old. 10 year olds tend to be very active and easy to excite, but that's not the same as frequent profuse crying.


Quote:
Firstly, this entire line of argument relies solely on the possibility that Menma is real.
With almost every passing episode, the alternative possibility seems increasingly unlikely to me.
__________________

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-05-21 at 02:34.
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 02:30   Link #88
deadite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I don't see how Yukiatsu is magically better. He is still as egotistical as ever and still spiteful of Jintan s seen in this episode. The only difference is at least he accepts that there is something wrong with him.

Also Imagine if Anaru and Jinta get expelled. I mean a girl who is rumored to be hooker leaving before class ends with some guy who never goes to school sends all kinds of signals.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 02:38   Link #89
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Also Imagine if Anaru and Jinta get expelled. I mean a girl who is rumored to be hooker leaving before class ends with some guy who never goes to school sends all kinds of signals.
LOL. It's a Japanese public school. Not gonna happen...though it would be funny, in a way.
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes


karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 05:40   Link #90
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
For example, "Kore wa Zombie desu ka?".

Spoiler for space:
Just to clarify the origin, I believe it was in Toradora episode 7 where:

Spoiler for Toradora:
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 06:00   Link #91
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
^
For anime, perhaps (personally, this is the first time I've heard of it).

It's actually a Japanese word game that goes back at least one generation (Japanese link if anyone wants to have a gander). The whole idea is to finish the phrase with a word ending in "-chi", and possibly adding a rhyming line.
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes



Last edited by karice67; 2011-05-22 at 05:20.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 07:46   Link #92
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's not perfectly justifiable for a person to cry over something that can be easily fixed.
I have to giggle for a moment because of this statement. This sounds exactly like something an irritated adult would say to a little kid.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 08:57   Link #93
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I have to giggle for a moment because of this statement. This sounds exactly like something an irritated adult would say to a little kid.
I guess it is kind of funny how much this is making me nerdrage.

I admittedly have pretty specific tastes when it comes to drama. Okada is often very good at appealing to those tastes (such as in True Tears and Wandering Son, and most of Anohana), so I guess I just find it a bit disappointing when something of her's doesn't hit the right note for me.

But maybe James and/or Reckoner will be right. I hope so, anyway.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 08:57   Link #94
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Nice episode with--
Jintan whiteknighting.
Manma doing manly cool face.
Ecchi sketchi Wantacchi.
__________________
formerly rave_master16
Haru~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 09:16   Link #95
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Prediction: Menma's wish was for all the Super Peace Busters to remain together forever. The series will end with Jintan, Anaru, Poppo, Yukiatsu, and Tsuruko turning into ghosts so that they can be with Menma forever in the afterlife. I think that would be a touching ending...
I don't think a mass suicide would be a nice ending.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 09:28   Link #96
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
If this goes Sixth Sense I'm going to shoot myself. Others may also die.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 10:01   Link #97
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
At least I'm safe, across the Pacific and more than half a continent away from you, eh?
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 10:12   Link #98
coderlan
Student
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Philippines
Did the ED somehow partially changed?
coderlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 10:16   Link #99
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
If this goes Sixth Sense I'm going to shoot myself. Others may also die.
Good thing you're in a medical school then.
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 10:29   Link #100
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
All this talk of Sixth Sense endings and nosebleed theories has me in fear of a plotquake now. I hope Okada-san doesn't go either of those extreme routes, because that would mean my interpretation of what this series is all about has been totally wrong...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.