AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-22, 05:04   Link #1
Divini
Senpai!

Story-driven anime with an outer space, futuristic setting

I guess I just found myself in the mood to watch one. Preferably one with a good story. The most notable ones I already seen that I remember:

Gundam, Gundam Z, ZZ, Turn A, W, G, S, 00, and then some (pretty much all of em)
Macross, Macross F
Vandread
Nadesico
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
Crest of the Stars
Stellvia
Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo
Old 2011-05-22, 05:34   Link #2
AlaAlba

how about Heroic Age?
Old 2011-05-22, 08:16   Link #3
mecharobot

-Terra e is a fantastic scifi story and should meet all your criteria.

-Infinite Ryvius is a very angst driven scifi tale. It has even more of that than Stellvia.

-Gunbuster is pretty good for a SR show. It mixes in some time travel theories to go with the action.

-Vandread is a rather standard fare scifi story, but you may like it if you liked Nadesico.

-Juuichinin Iru! is one of the best anime scifi movies and very unique to boot. I'd say it's worth the time it takes to watch.

-Uchuu Senkan Yamato and Captain Harlock are classic anime scifi stories. Harlock is a bit better in terms of raw story, but Yamato is a bit more accessible if you ask me.

-Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, but the actual culture in universe is archaic.
Old 2011-05-22, 12:35   Link #4
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

I'm just going to second Infinite Ryvius because it's one of my favourite anime shows ever done. Directed by Goro Taniguchi, of the Geass fame, and series comp. by Yousuke Kuroda, the story is a different take at the world famous novel "Lord of the Flies". It takes place in space, and with a much bigger number of people involved.

Like mecharobot said, it has a lot of angst, but there's also a lot of character development and I personally didn't find the drama to be forced, because you could actually understand where it was coming from.

Give it a try. Oh, and see if you can check the OP theme -- Dis is a great song.
Old 2011-05-22, 15:00   Link #5
mrShady

*Tekkaman Blade A story about earth being attacked by an alien race (Radam). When all hope is lost a man in a highly advanced bio-mechanical suit appears, however the enemy also appears to have similair suits......

It's pretty old (1993) and copies are hard to find, but it's a bit similair to gundam though I would consider it a lot more tragic and dramatic.
Animation is so so (probably it's age).
Old 2011-05-22, 16:22   Link #6
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I will second Space Battleship Yamato aka Star Blazers if you don't mind that it's from the 70s.

Macross Plus might also be enjoyable since it has Yoko Konno(she also did the music for Cowboy Bebop) and it was co-directed by the director of Cowboy Bebop.

Macross: Do You Remember Love is a movie version of the first Macross series and from what I hear, it's fantastic.

I'd also recommend that you give Trigun a shot even though it's more of a western but it is futuristic scenes in outer space.

Last edited by AbZeroNow; 2011-05-22 at 16:24. Reason: edited out smilie
Old 2011-05-22, 17:33   Link #7
Niji

Planetes - amazing series, kinda very realistic, too (even though very SciFi). Awesome char development.
Old 2011-05-22, 17:48   Link #8
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Legend of the Glaactic Heros?

Awesome series. A little over 100 episodes long. It's a space opera.
Old 2011-05-22, 18:44   Link #9
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

I would recommend Starship Operators, it's a nice space series, wish it was longer.

I also support you watch Heroic Age, one of the best out there.
Old 2011-05-22, 18:47   Link #10
Flower
Celestial operations....

Another vote for Planetes from me.
Old 2011-05-22, 19:53   Link #11
GreatTeacherKen

A somewhat odd recommendation, but how about The Irresponsible Captain Tylor? It's basically a space opera comedy and it is a bit more plot than a lot of comedies. It's quite funny with an amusingly enigmatic protagonist and it has one of the memorable climactic moments I've seen in anime (episode 23, the last three episodes are more like an epilogue).
Old 2011-05-22, 20:42   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Soukou no Strain IS A Little Princess RECYCLEDINSPACE!

But it's actually kind of good!

Tied with Ga Rei -Zero- for most insane first episode.
Old 2011-05-23, 15:15   Link #13
Divini
Senpai!

Thanks for the suggestions so far all!

I've actually seen Macross Plus, Vandread, Irresponsible Captain Taylor, and Trigun among what was mentioned, but the rest I haven't seen yet. It's quite a lot of titles I need to check out.
Closed Thread