AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 25 31.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 32.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 22.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 12.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-22, 14:41   Link #161
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Where you live... the question is, do you see me?
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Maybe, maybe not. He could very well go "publish and be damned", since there seems to be a real self-destructive streak in him.
He seemed relieved when Tsuruko decided not to use his Menma photos as hostages. Even if this is the guy who runs around in a white sundress at night, he still values his successful life because of his unsuccessful past as merely being part of Jinta's group. The most prevalent example is the flashback to beetle catching - Jinta holds up a massive beetle, while Yukiatsu only has a tiny one. Ever since then, Yukiatsu's been a little obsessed with doing better than Jinta.

Quote:
Why would she want to do that?
To get back at her former love for not loving her. To exact vengeance upon Yukiatsu for still loving Menma, even after she's passed away for several years now.

Well, maybe not... but Tsuruko has the power. She can choose to exercise it, and the pleasure derived from watching the magnificent bastard Yukiatsu suffer would already be enough justification. As seen in episode 6, everyone was eager to talk about Anaru and her visit to a love hotel. Everyone but Jinta, anyway.

Quote:
How so? Not showing those pictures is her way of protecting him. At a certain inconvenience to herself, though I'm not sure turning him into a social pariah would better her own situation.
Protecting, eh. Well, I'm wondering why she didn't burn the photos and relieve herself of this "certain inconvenience" - in fact, I believe Tsuruko took them in the first place with her cell phone. She has them, but is not exposing them to the world... it seems she's either saving them for her own pleasures, or keeping them as a large bargaining chip against Yukiatsu. Who knows.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 14:48   Link #162
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
He seemed relieved when Tsuruko decided not to use his Menma photos as hostages. Even if this is the guy who runs around in a white sundress at night, he still values his successful life because of his unsuccessful past as merely being part of Jinta's group. The most prevalent example is the flashback to beetle catching - Jinta holds up a massive beetle, while Yukiatsu only has a tiny one. Ever since then, Yukiatsu's been a little obsessed with doing better than Jinta.
He didn't seem relieved to me. First because the subject of blackmail never arose. She could have chosen to release them, but there wasn't anything in particular she wanted from him to blackmail him into. Second because he seemed to me... self-deprecating more than anything. At being reminded that, though he was outwardly great enough to have girls fight over him, he was really screwed up in the head.

Quote:
Protecting, eh. Well, I'm wondering why she didn't burn the photos and relieve herself of this "certain inconvenience"
The inconvenience I meant was having him around, and so attracting the girls' jealousy.

Quote:
- in fact, I believe Tsuruko took them in the first place with her cell phone. She has them, but is not exposing them to the world... it seems she's either saving them for her own pleasures, or keeping them as a large bargaining chip against Yukiatsu. Who knows.
That's my read on it too.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 17:17   Link #163
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Well, I'm wondering why she didn't burn the photos and relieve herself of this "certain inconvenience" - in fact, I believe Tsuruko took them in the first place with her cell phone. She has them, but is not exposing them to the world... it seems she's either saving them for her own pleasures, or keeping them as a large bargaining chip against Yukiatsu. Who knows.
I think she's just talking hypothetically. It's doubtful that she even has photos.
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes


karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 17:27   Link #164
Seiryuu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Which they considered lucky for her. I mean, that's what they were there for, right?


You forget the PTA member who saw her. (And apparently did nothing to help her... Well, whatever.)
I somehow doubt that the word spread that fast purely because someone on the PTA saw and reported her. That would get her in trouble with the school, but I think they'd try to keep things quiet. I suspect it's a bit of a combination of her getting busted and her friends either talking about how she'd gotten together with a guy or speculating that that's why she'd been called in. Anyway, her "friends" obviously didn't know her too well if they just assumed that she'd be glad to take the night to the next level. It should have been rather obvious to the girls that she was not used to that sort of thing, not to mention that her behavior at various times should have told them that there's a guy on her mind. Still, Naruko herself was a little ignorant of her friends' intentions here; if she paid enough attention to them and the things they were saying to recognize what the hopeful outcome of the meeting was, then she most certainly would not have agreed to leave together with the guy. Anyway, she was very lucky here. In that sort of situation she might have even had trouble getting rape charges taken seriously. Her outfit, the situation that had led to the incident, and plenty of other factors would make it look like she was giving the OK. Plenty would think she'd gotten mad about something and decided to either get back at the guy or get something from him through the charge.

Either way, it's horrible for her that one stupid mistake that she got rescued from turned her into a sl*t in the eyes of almost everyone in school.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 18:56   Link #165
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's not necessarily the case. What if the big reveal that Menma was going to make to the rest of the "Super Peace Busters" on that eventful day was that she was enduring abuse at home, and was hoping that her teammates in the "Super Peace Busters" could save her from that?

If so, things start to tie together nicely, in my opinion.

And, to me, melodrama is about making a mountain out of a molehill, or about using an actual mountain for pure shock value alone. If handled correctly, a reveal about child abuse in this anime would not be just shock value, and it's a pretty serious issue that does happen in real life. I'd personally be impressed to see an anime tackle that issue with maturity and seriousness.
What could they do about it? So Menma was abused as a child. Assuming that's the case, there's nothing they can do about it now. Menma is dead, the mother is in a state of grief, and we basically haven't been exposed to her family for any other reason than to expand on the issue of moving on. Having that be the big issue moves the focus from the group to Menma and her family.

How do you think this ties things together? I don't understand how this would be a good decision from a thematic point of view. It could fit in plot-wise. Jintan could be diagnosed with cancer, and there would be a way to fit it in the plot. I don't think either of those fit into the story though, for similar reasons.

I don't know. I personally thought that melodrama was drama created for the sake of drama, regardless of whether or not it's a serious issue or whether or not it happens in real life. That being said, melodramatic or not, there are plenty of serious, real-life issues that I think wouldn't fit into this story.


Basically, I just think that, as an important revelation, it does nothing to further the relationship between the group and does nothing to expand on Menma's wish [in fact, it makes it much more complicated and starts bringing in outside elements], which are the two biggest issues in this anime and what everything has been revolving around.

Sorry if I'm rambling. I tend to do that.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 19:14   Link #166
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yamoto, Akiba, Log Horizon Guild Hall
Seems to me that a large percentage to my speculation has come from the angle of it adding too much extra drama/etc. to the story than there already is. (Which in many ways is bound up with personal taste, which is, of course, fine.)

OceanBlue has correctly identified the speculation as primarily plot related, which it is. It is also true that Jintan's being diagnosed with cancer and the like could be made to fit in the story as a plot device. But I think it would be a lot harder to go back through the previous 6 episodes and show it as consistent as the possibility. And to my mind the possibility of abuse in Menma's home (whether directly at her or between other family members) seems to me a very reasonable possibility that also holds water looking back through the other 6 episodes.

I am in no way trying to persuade people to "like it" if the story does indeed go that way - I was just surprised to suddenly notice a very detailed possible pattern throughout the eps that was catalysted by some things I watched in ep 6. Personal taste wise I would not mind if the story included such elements, because I have faith that the writers would be able to pull it off and do a good job - although it seems many feel either they would not be able to or are not even interested to see them try to pull it off. (Was TM8 that big of a disaster and disappointment?)

Well - all of these speculations are limited to the first half of the season, and I would never have been able to guess it before seeing ep 6. Maybe the latter half will show us even more unexpected surprises, like Madoka consistently pulled off?
__________________
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 20:21   Link #167
CWW
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I still don't see where it possibly hinted of physical abuse...

Seems to me that there is some form of personal wish-fulfillment involved, which I alluded from your last line. No, I don't need to see it become like Madoka, and frankly, the situations aren't comparable. For one thing, it was pretty obvious from the start that Kyubei didn't have a caring attitude (those eyes gave it away) and secondly, it's Shaft. That's their thing.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 20:42   Link #168
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yamoto, Akiba, Log Horizon Guild Hall
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
I still don't see where it possibly hinted of physical abuse...

Seems to me that there is some form of personal wish-fulfillment involved, which I alluded from your last line. No, I don't need to see it become like Madoka, and frankly, the situations aren't comparable. For one thing, it was pretty obvious from the start that Kyubei didn't have a caring attitude (those eyes gave it away) and secondly, it's Shaft. That's their thing.
No problem ... admittedly the speculation of some sort of abusive family environment was my own conclusion which I thought might be a logical step from a couple of scenes in ep 6 that struck me. Afaict nowhere in the ep was it blatantly spelled out that my speculation was in fact so.

Wish-fulfillment? Maybe. At the moment it is simply a possible way to interpret things up to now and point to possibilities ahead that seemed to me (and a few others) as a fairly plausible explanation and direction the series might go. In that light (as with any theory) the data can of course be used to "explain away" all sorts of things. And sometimes it seems to "work" because it is "wish fulfillment". But there are rare occasions it works because it either is the correct solution or hits near to the correct explanation. But I don't think either I or others who thought the speculation might be hitting near the mark are so attached to it that we are trying to force others to somehow accept it. Again, apologies if it came across like that. It was merely intended to throw some ideas out there.

As regards Madoka - I was not comparing the two stories nor saying that it "needed to become like that"; I was simply using Madoka as an example of a story plot uncovering itself bit by bit in a way that often took the viewers by surprise, and saying that that principle of taking viewers by surprise could come into play in this series. That was all.

Anyway - more will become clearer with the next ep, I am sure.
__________________
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 22:46   Link #169
broken270
Defying gravity
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Spoiler:
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 23:44   Link #170
hero147
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Did the nosebleed incident remind anybody else of to aru majutsu no index?
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 00:13   Link #171
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
I somehow doubt that the word spread that fast purely because someone on the PTA saw and reported her. That would get her in trouble with the school, but I think they'd try to keep things quiet. I suspect it's a bit of a combination of her getting busted and her friends either talking about how she'd gotten together with a guy or speculating that that's why she'd been called in.
It could just be parents telling their kids to stay away from Anaru, and why.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 01:08   Link #172
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
A bit late... was a bit busy this weekend, being a long weekend and all for my country, not to mention getting ready for a convention this coming week. Anyways...


Unlike most people, my attention was focused on Tsuruko.

Girl A: Minako wanted you to give this to Matsuyuki-kun.
Tsuruko: You're in the same class. Give it to him yourself.
(Translation: Go fark yourselves)
Minako: You're so stuck-up! Do you look down on us because you always get to be by his side?
Tsuruko: Huh?
(Translation: What does being by his side do any good, when all these years he still has not LOOKED at me!?)
Minako: We know! Tsurumi-san you have a crush on Matsuyuki-kun, right?!
Tsuruko: What are you--?
(Translation: --saying? Don't go comparing what I feel to YOUR pathetic little crush, girl.)

I mean, Anaru is too straightforward that its no fun. Tsuruko on the other hand, since most of everything is unsaid, can't resist putting words on her mouth...

Odd that. Anaru is easy to read because she isn't honest to her feelings, yet Tsuruko being the one who openly shows how she feels is the one hard to figure out what she's thinking.

In any case, glad Tsuruko turned the other girl down. Too many times the childhood friend has been used as the messenger, mainly because childhood friend is too nice for her own good and just can't say no. Sometimes, you just got to be selfish, no?

Yukiatsu on the otherhand, well, he certainly knows the perfect time to 'save' Tsuruko from her 'rivals, and knows exactly what to say to bring a smile to her face. Almost died from squeeing when he said that he can't fool her no matter what he does, and the satisfied look at Tsuruko's face right after. Plus points for him, though still don't compare to what Jintan did this episode. That's one thing Yukiatsu don't have Jintan beat lol.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 04:31   Link #173
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In your brain
This episode was an exact reason why I love this animation so much. There is not a single incidents or situations that is wasted for nothing. Anjou's love hotel scene is acting as one of the significant plot point especially in this episode. I really liked this subtle complexity in plot.
__________________
If anyone attacks Shaft
I will be there to defend it to death.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 17:18   Link #174
Prime
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bogotá, Colombia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post

Girl A: Minako wanted you to give this to Matsuyuki-kun.
Tsuruko: You're in the same class. Give it to him yourself.
(Translation: Go fark yourselves)
Minako: You're so stuck-up! Do you look down on us because you always get to be by his side?
Tsuruko: Huh?
(Translation: What does being by his side do any good, when all these years he still has not LOOKED at me!?)
Minako: We know! Tsurumi-san you have a crush on Matsuyuki-kun, right?!
Tsuruko: What are you--?
(Translation: --saying? Don't go comparing what I feel to YOUR pathetic little crush, girl.)

I mean, Anaru is too straightforward that its no fun. Tsuruko on the other hand, since most of everything is unsaid, can't resist putting words on her mouth...
Yeah, and that's why I love that meganekko xD

But, seriously, I actually can't see "the love" coming from Tsuruko towards Yukiatsu, and as you said, that is why her character is more interesting than any other in this series.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 21:53   Link #175
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Things to point out this episode

Also, lol at occult academy reference.
__________________
Traveler on Revenge / Ahelo Sigs / Saimoe Report! Signature by ganbaru
ahelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 00:40   Link #176
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Well, there must be something unknown going on to explain what Menma wants from the group, and wanted in the past. It is possible to get too dramatic, but it is also possible to have so little drama that things are trite and pointless. Yukiatsu's cross-dressing and Anaru's current situation both show me that the writers are willing to push things pretty far, so cranking up the drama regarding Menma's family life seems possible to me. And it wouldn't seem any more tangential than either of those things, to me.

As for Anaru, I'm continuing to think of her "gal" friends as not very nice people, until I see it proven otherwise. It does seem to me that they are the most likely way the rumors could get to the students. I'm imagining they probably just thought she was careless in being caught. We shall see.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 05:51   Link #177
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
As for Anaru, I'm continuing to think of her "gal" friends as not very nice people, until I see it proven otherwise. It does seem to me that they are the most likely way the rumors could get to the students. I'm imagining they probably just thought she was careless in being caught. We shall see.
Certainly they are not good for her, considering how Naruko is being portrayed during these last few episodes. Generally speaking, they did seem concerned that she was pushing them away in the 5th episode, while in the 6th they at least seem to realize that the trouble she got into was partially their fault, and to me they also looked regretful. Now whether their behaviour is right or wrong, I don't want to easily pass judgement, we practically know nothing about them.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 09:14   Link #178
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
That's it Jintan!!!!! You have done very well.... even though you never attending school to the end.... lol.... this time only attending until the first period.... XD

awww... Jintan and Anaru obviously will make a good couple... and finally I can see a flag about how Anaru will end her friendship with those two bad girls....
Anaru got little tsun-tsun in this episode and the last scene wrapped it all... ^^

I am glad that I don't get any mindbreak in this episode.... and Menma's wish is getting clearer
I love all of the main character... they are unique and developed very well in every episodes
__________________

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.