AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2007-09-04, 08:45   Link #521
LucidLucifer
LucidLucifer

Send a message via MSN to LucidLucifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I just recently finished this anime, and overall it was good. I liked the ending, and judging from this thread I'm probably the only one that does. I'm not a sadistic/pessimistic person to hope for any of the girls to die so what happened at the end was, for me, really emotional without going overboard, and that's what I like about it.

even though this anime has some very disturbing themes, one light that shed within the organization was the fact that the "brothers" didn't threat their girls as tools. Henrietta's relationship was good from the start, and the progress of Triela, Claes, and Angelica's handlers fratello was for me the main theme of the anime. The backdrop is quite unsettling, yes, but that's what makes this anime good. It's not a completely happy ending but not a tragedy either, but falls somewhere in between very close to my taste. I like anime that isn't all fictional. The organization and its actions exist within the anime to remind us of the corrupt governments in the world and raises some ethical questions about the controversial subject: If they are going to die anyway, would you save them and use them or let them die?
I agree, the ending was great and it wasnt overboard and it really fit the storyline. I loved this series and cant wait to see more of it XD
Old 2007-09-04, 09:46   Link #522
ComradeKilroy
Kilroy hic fuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aird View Post
This type of open endings happen quite often in anime[...]The Melencholy of Suzumiya Haruhi to name a few all have similar endings.
did you watch that series in broadcast order or chronological order? I thought the broadcast order of events had a pretty decent ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
Just in case you didn't know.

Check out the Unaired Section.

Gunslinger Girl 2 is now in production!!!!
WOOT!
For serious?! thats pretty awsome.
Old 2007-09-04, 20:49   Link #523
LucidLucifer
LucidLucifer

Cant wait for season 2!!
Old 2007-09-06, 21:57   Link #524
Jechtsphere
The Black Swordsman

Send a message via MSN to Jechtsphere
I watched the first 5 ep's and I like it, it's pretty good.
Old 2007-09-07, 01:43   Link #525
LucidLucifer
LucidLucifer

u should keep watching it only gets better XD
Old 2007-09-08, 03:10   Link #526
Jechtsphere
The Black Swordsman

Send a message via MSN to Jechtsphere
Finished it, liked it a lot.

Favorite characters were Henrietta(she's cute), Triela(she's really cool) and Joze.

Is there a second season coming, when is it going to air?
Old 2007-11-01, 09:19   Link #527
dKiWi
Devoted Haruhiist

Send a message via MSN to dKiWi
ADV films is re-releasing Gunslinger Girl as some Viridian edition thing soon. Does anyone know what's the difference between this edition and the regular boxset? Coz I bought the regular boxset recently and I'm wondering whether I'm missing out on anything since the Viridian edition is cheaper.
dKiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 18:48   Link #528
FireChick

May I ask a question? For those who purchased the Gunslinger Girl character song album called Poca Felicita, does anyone have the Italian and English lyrics to that song called "La ragazza col fucile" which is sung by Josefa?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 14:20   Link #529
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Given that 4 years have passed since the end of the anime and this is the 27th page of the thread, I won't even bother with spoiler tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBrian View Post
One of the major themes seems to be how the conditioning actually affects the girls. I forget which girl was actually the major example of this (I'm leaning towards Claes, but I dunno), but the conditioning actually, in the long term, destroys the girls' ability to remember anything. To show how this is cut from the anime, in the manga version of ep10, Jose gives Henrietta a camera and a diary, so she can keep track of what she's doing. He wants her to be able to remember her good memories, and keep them precious, for as long as possible. As it stands, giving her the camera in the anime seems to be fairly pointless, except as a scene where we get to see a blushing Henrietta, which everyone loves. Granted, the camera might come into play later, but whatever.
Just wanted to point out that the camera may have also been intended to compare and contrast the fratello pairs. Henrietta took a shot of Giuseppe with her camera while Else shot Lauro with her own gun, and both acts showed some form of obsession.

Anyway, I've just gone through the series again in an attempt to give it a proper review and I've recently realized that the metaphors all seem to point towards a bitter or bittersweet ending (for GsG as a whole, not just the anime adaptations).
1) Artemis mistakenly shot her beloved Orion.
2) The ending credits show a jammed/broken gun discarded in the rain.
3) The lovers in Roman Holiday eventually part ways after a brief moment of joy.
4) Shooting stars are also known as falling stars. Their name and nature are not much different from the lives of the girls.
And even later,
5) The love story related to the kaleidoscope from Giuseppe (about Louise Antoinette Laure) didn't have a happy ending.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<))))><..`.reviews.`.links.`..><((((>

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2008-11-14 at 14:33.
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 09:05   Link #530
KimmyChan

I have the complete DVD box of this awesome series & really must check out series 2 very soon
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 02:19   Link #531
errorrrr

ok i am having a heated debate with two of my friends on the moral of the Italian government using these girls who are about to die...

Both of them think it's twisted, I think it's justfiable... what you guys think?

On a note for ending prediction

I think this series is pretty obvious with everything indicating for a bitter-sweet ending with girls lying in coffins for the service of the country... Unless they come up with some gimmick that "magically" extends their life cycle, which I think would kind of ruin the dearness of it, I don't see how they can get a "live happily ever after" ending.
errorrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 08:03   Link #532
KimmyChan

I think that this series could've been made a tad bit longer
Old 2009-06-23, 14:27   Link #533
dfens

Well season 2 the whole thing in a box set comes out in August. I'm going to get it being a big fan and since it's so cheap even though the 2nd season blows.

They have more than enough content to extend the series but you'll have to read the manga if you want more.

It may be twisted but what ever gets the job done, and the girls have proven to be very effective at taking out terrorists and criminals.

In the manga one of the girls dies in the line of duty and has a sad and ending/funeral. Also in one of the latest chapters they are now experimenting with a new artificial drug/formula that will extend their lives since it's not as taxing on their bodies as the condition drug is. They hope to perfect it but time will tell if the current girls will be around to benefit from it and live to adulthood.
dfens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 06:52   Link #534
KimmyChan

Season 2 doesn't even have a release date over here yet Boooooo Hope it does soon
Old 2009-06-25, 18:03   Link #535
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Blu Ray release for Season 1 and 2 huh ?

Had already owned the first edition of Season 1 that's bundled with the PS2 games. Didn't even touch season 2 due to obvious reasons. I will get the Blu Ray release of Season 1 provided that they remaster everything in HD, but with the whole season bundled on a 2-disc release doesn't give me much hope.
Old 2009-06-25, 18:55   Link #536
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

At the risk of being irrelevant or redundant:

Il Teatrino was anxiously awaited, but when it came out, the animation was of lower quality and the characters and character emphasis were changed (actually presented differently). This wasn't really Season 2 as it was a different company who made it. It was really a different take on the manga from the original anime with a different story arc.

Anyway, the reviews were so bad, and the complaints so plentiful and unanimous, that almost everyone dropped the series almost immediately. Because of the anathema placed on the series, it took me literally years to collect all the episodes.

Oddly, the series picked up quite a bit as it went along, and I found the ending very powerful, though less so than the original. It was so good that 2 follow-up specials were made, though I have still not managed to get them, I guess because no one was interested. It looks like the Blu-ray shown includes these OVAs.

I would just advise that if the 1st few episodes of Il Teatrino disappoint you after seeing the original series, continue to watch the rest anyway as it will reward in the end.

EDIT: Talk about coincidence! The OVAs just became available 17 hours ago! Spooky!
EDIT: And they are translated into English from a Russian translation. That shows how obscure they are.

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2009-08-14 at 09:18.
drobertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 05:25   Link #537
KimmyChan

I may have to end up watching the second series to this on the Funimation channel for the moment at hand
Old 2009-08-14, 04:09   Link #538
SeiSama

Send a message via ICQ to SeiSama Send a message via Yahoo to SeiSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by errorrrr View Post
ok i am having a heated debate with two of my friends on the moral of the Italian government using these girls who are about to die...

Both of them think it's twisted, I think it's justfiable... what you guys think?
well, I think it's awfull, that the government use girls to fight with the terrorists and so on. girls must have a childhood, dolls, but not guns, IMHO. but if there weren't such an idea, there hadn't been a series. so my another opinion is that there's no big deal in it: using girls as guns is acceptable, but their instructor have to treat them as humans not as things, though.
Old 2010-10-25, 13:14   Link #539
mamina fan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeiSama View Post
well, I think it's awfull, that the government use girls to fight with the terrorists and so on. girls must have a childhood, dolls, but not guns, IMHO. but if there weren't such an idea, there hadn't been a series. so my another opinion is that there's no big deal in it: using girls as guns is acceptable, but their instructor have to treat them as humans not as things, though.

i think its justifable i mean i guess its for one of those neutral causes to help them but also help italy soo its rather really heated at that
mamina fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 13:47   Link #540
tyciol
*Artist

Hey guys, if Gunslinger Girl season 2 Teatrino from 2008 is also licensed, shouldn't http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/268.html list 26 episodes instead of 13?
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, drama, sci-fi, seinen