AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 10 16.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 40.68%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 28.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 8.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.39%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-29, 17:25   Link #41
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Maybe Ko starting to hang out with another girl might awaken some feelings Ohana has,maybe she'll feel a bit jealous.
Ohana isn't exactly privy to Ko's personal habits while he's at work back in Tokyo. Chances are she's only going to be able to get jealous to it at a point where it'd already be to late to do anything about it.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 17:43   Link #42
Peanutbutter
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Maybe those lyrics in the OP of the Ko-chan-Ohana "those days won't ever return" really mean something after all.

So, perhaps, in the end, Ohana will do everything right for everyone around her, but lose the thing most dear to her?
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 18:17   Link #43
totoum
Gamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Ohana isn't exactly privy to Ko's personal habits while he's at work back in Tokyo. Chances are she's only going to be able to get jealous to it at a point where it'd already be to late to do anything about it.
True,that'd be a pretty tragic ending.

More true tears comparaisons
Spoiler for true tears:
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 19:33   Link #44
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
On the love triangle, I'm leaning towards Ko, but Tooru scored major points this episode because he was completely focused on handling the crisis and girls was the furthest thing from his mind.

I hope the glasses girl is the 'Oneesan will teach you lots of things' type....
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 19:40   Link #45
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
On the love triangle, I'm leaning towards Ko, but Tooru scored major points this episode because he was completely focused on handling the crisis and girls was the furthest thing from his mind.
That's because she was pressed right against his back.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 19:41   Link #46
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Age: 22
^ Imagine how hard that must´ve been. xDD

Or maybe not. :P Maybe he was thinking something along the lines of:

"My...that's a pitiful chest." xD;; But maybe he likes flat chests? I dunno. xD

Oh

And now I go:

Ha!

At all the people who on episode 6 were: "Maybe he was looking at Nako not Ohana".

I rest my case.......for now. xD;;
.x.crii.x. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 20:12   Link #47
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Spoiler for True Tears and Hanasaku Iroha comparison:


However, as we are still early in the series, it is difficult to say whether we will get the same conclusion as True Tears because it is obvious that the director and writer are both playing around with the relationship game to keep viewers on their feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Leave out the stupid humour of the management consultant and the novelist, though, please.
Agreed. I don't want no "Sunohara" in my animu, let alone two One of the reasons that I can't rate this episode a 10 because I find those two so annoying that I'm finding it hard to ignore them... and it's not like I enjoy hating them either, unlike say Kyuubey. This is alongside some nitpicky issues I had with this episode but it isn't really worth mentioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Everything was perfect except Ko getting royally screwed over. I don't even know if there was a misunderstanding or not, but Ko's pensive expression makes me think he's starting to doubt his relationship with Ohana. Please don't give up Ko. For the love of God if the writers keep screwing around with him I'm going to throw such a shitstorm like you've never se-WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING IN THAT PREVIEW, TOHRU?!?!

*Is loading the gun*
I'm very sorry, but despite me feeling sorry for you, I also can't help but also enjoy your torment . My apologies I have a feeling that the director and Okada got the reaction she wanted and probably has a massive trollface at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I don't know. I didn't hate the episode of course, I gave it an 8/10, but the reason I didn't rate it any higher is because I felt the episode was a tiny bit awkwardly composed?

The whole Ko subplot just feels too thrown in there. Not only that, but it seems its trolling the audience. I never like trolling.

I don't know though. I was entertained, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was a little underwhelmed?

Well supposedly next episode is supposed to be good as well.

At this rate, I might be supporting some love triangle drama to spice up this show a bit.
I can understand this predicament. Not everyone enjoys the whole "relationship conflict" which can leave an underwhelming feeling. Heck, I dislike it most of my anime because love trianges/rectangles/pentagons etc are usually handled very poorly. Although it just may be Okada bias for me, I do feel she does it -much- better than most anime writers.

As for the relationship trolling... I'm fairly sure that this was planned and intended. As mentioned above, both the director and Okada have their trollfaces on atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I'm actually seeing a comparison to Super Dimensional Fortress Macross of all things!


Ohana/Hikaru Ichijo: A young, inexperienced person starting a job that brings about a new chapter in their lives.

Tohru/Misa Hayase: A seemingly gruff and callous coworker for Ohana/Hikaru, whom they dislike initially, but turns out to have a much softer side. Interact with the main character meaningfully on a regular basis under working conditions, growing closer.

Ko/Lynn Minmei: The childish romance interest of the Main character, from before they took on their new maturing career, which has substantially limited meaningful contact with each other. They slowly start drifting apart despite strong initial connection.
You know, as a fan of the original Macross series, I can't help but laugh at how -somewhat- right you are, despite being somewhat of a ridiculous comparison . It did however, take Macross MANY episodes for the change in character perceptions amongst each other. But then again, this was an era where "3 or 4" cour length animes were the norm.
__________________

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-05-29 at 20:30.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 20:46   Link #48
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Spoiler for True Tears and Hanasaku Iroha comparison:
Spoiler for True Tears and Hanasaku Iroha comparison:



Quote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:



Quote:

However, as we are still early in the series, it is difficult to say whether we will get the same conclusion as True Tears because it is obvious that the director and writer are both playing around with the relationship game to keep viewers on their feet.
Probably.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 20:50   Link #49
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I was waiting the entire day for this episode. I was forced to go somewhere for some family time and came home at 6:00pm. Dx

And it has served. I'm so glad this episode had some TooruxOhana moments... But I'm still with some doubts. Especially with Ohana still thinking about Ko... *sigh* I knew it would be Tooru's hair she would be smelling but then she had to think of Ko-chan right after. ARGH.

(BTW when Tooru told Ohana about that whole trusting thing and she was all like, "Where have I heard that before?", who was she talking about?)

Is Okada a sadist or something? xD She keeps giving us some sort of hope about something and then turning it into something completely different. Along with the whole TooruxOhanaxKo thing. Trolling right?
__________________
Sugarless Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 20:51   Link #50
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Also the Kou scenes really reminded me of 5 cm per second, I suppose it's the combination of the train ride and trying to meet the girl you like. Ah well that's as far as I can go with the 5 cm/s comparison any more I'll be doing that movie a disservice.
Spoiler for 9:


Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
True,that'd be a pretty tragic ending.

More true tears comparaisons
Spoiler for true tears:
Spoiler for True Tears:
__________________
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 21:01   Link #51
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarless Ocean View Post
I was waiting the entire day for this episode. I was forced to go somewhere for some family time and came home at 6:00pm. Dx

And it has served. I'm so glad this episode had some TooruxOhana moments... But I'm still with some doubts. Especially with Ohana still thinking about Ko... *sigh* I knew it would be Tooru's hair she would be smelling but then she had to think of Ko-chan right after. ARGH.

(BTW when Tooru told Ohana about that whole trusting thing and she was all like, "Where have I heard that before?", who was she talking about?)

Is Okada a sadist or something? xD She keeps giving us some sort of hope about something and then turning it into something completely different. Along with the whole TooruxOhanaxKo thing. Trolling right?
I know it's already being talked about at length here, but I strongly recommend True Tears to anybody who wants to know how Okada handles romantic conflicts in her anime originals.

She likes to keep people guessing as to what the final result of a romantic conflict will be, right to the end (bitter end if you're shipping for someone who loses).

It's quite an emotional roller coaster ride she puts you on should you end up strongly favoring one particular shipping over all others... and it'll end in tears. Either of joy, or sadness.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 21:17   Link #52
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
You know, as a fan of the original Macross series, I can't help but laugh at how -somewhat- right you are, despite being somewhat of a ridiculous comparison . It did however, take Macross MANY episodes for the change in character perceptions amongst each other. But then again, this was an era where "3 or 4" cour length animes were the norm.
Your point being? I'll remind you that Do you Remember Love conveyed the idea in only 115 minutes!
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 21:24   Link #53
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Yes, TT certainly was an example of reeling the audience in and torturing them to the end. And this show has done a good job of muddying the romantic waters, giving everybody a bone to gnaw on. As Kaoru said, this ep could easily be interpreted as setting up a scenario where Ohana and Kou each have their love tested by older co-workers - a necessary step to make them appreciate what they'd taken for granted, how much they love each other. But that's only one interpretation.

Thing is, though, romance was the very essence of TT - it was what that show was all about. This series is about personal growth, specifically Ohana growing up. Kou, Tohru and Minchi are primarily important as catalysts for that, not as part of a romance drama. I also suspect that Mari Okada is much less involved in the nuts and bolts of scripting this series than TT. I wouldn't be surprised if there are no pairings in the end at all, but even if there are I don't expect them to be at the heart of events as they (necessarily) were in TT.

Heck, I could even see this show pulling a Zettai Shounen and moving the whole thing back to the city for the second arc. Probably not that extreme, but while I'm nowhere near confident of where the show is going I do feel sure that both Kou and Ohana-mama have major roles to play in this series, and I can't see them being completely remote to the action for all that time.
__________________
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 21:42   Link #54
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarless Ocean View Post

(BTW when Tooru told Ohana about that whole trusting thing and she was all like, "Where have I heard that before?", who was she talking about?)
Spoiler for ..:


Ok, no, that's not true. xD;;

.......I'll call it though...just in case. xD;;

Edit: Actually...what if her dad actually said something to her before along those lines? But maybe she doesn't remember because she was really small back then?

And damn, now I'm really curious as to Ohana´s dad. I'd actually like to see him appear in the story. Like maybe he comes into contact with Ohana´s mom and he storms to Kissuiso to make Ohana go back with him seeing as his daughter "has no need to suffer while working like this".

Or he could be dead. D:

Last edited by .x.crii.x.; 2011-05-29 at 21:52.
.x.crii.x. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 21:55   Link #55
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
What a beautiful escalator. And they went back to the old OP; I'm happy.

And what's with the "previously on"? opening. Previously on Hana Saku Iroha, Grandma is sick, Ohana's life still sucks, and Minko is still a nervous wreck!

Fortunately Kou gets Ohana going, and tells her that she really needs to stop rushing into things. Hell, not changing shoes probably slowed her down a ton . Meanwhile Tohru is so impressed that people care about him that he even decides to have a personality for once. Minko on the other hand... well that's too much to ask, but she stopped failing, so it's all good.

Overall, this ragtag group managed to succeed with the help of grandma's wonderful cliff notes. It's nice to see an episode where they succeed instead of making fools out of themselves, and what's with this new girl talking with Kou? Probaly nothing, but you never know...

Rating: 7.5/10 Minimal focus on annoying people, and focus on people that are cool in this show. I felt sorta underwhelmed, but this episode did what it had to do and links to the next part of the plot so all is good. The last few episodes have been heading in the right direction, even if it hasn't been that smooth, is encouraging.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 22:07   Link #56
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
Spoiler for ..:


Ok, no, that's not true. xD;;

.......I'll call it though...just in case. xD;;

Edit: Actually...what if her dad actually said something to her before along those lines? But maybe she doesn't remember because she was really small back then?

And damn, now I'm really curious as to Ohana´s dad. I'd actually like to see him appear in the story. Like maybe he comes into contact with Ohana´s mom and he storms to Kissuiso to make Ohana go back with him seeing as his daughter "has no need to suffer while working like this".

Or he could be dead. D:

Dude, I had thought about all of that but that was just my fangirl side day-dreaming... Fangirls think alike huh? xD;;

The "previously on..." thing was a surprise with me too. Is it really necessary? -____-
__________________
Sugarless Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 22:08   Link #57
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Episode 9

Best episode so far yet most infuriating. Dammmmmnit I was betting for Kou and Ohana to meet. I do not like this Tohru shipping thing. Actually I do not like Tohru at all. I'm on Kou's side but dammnit get some balls!!!!
__________________
Traveler on Revenge / Ahelo Sigs / Saimoe Report! Signature by ganbaru
ahelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 23:21   Link #58
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada/ Winterpeg
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Just started up on this show a few weeks ago. Really great show though I'm not a Tohru x Ohana fan at all. I feel bad for Kou-Chan. I think maybe with this new girl she might notice she has feelings for him? Who knows. I really think Minchi x Tohru is much much better.

Great episode gives you some warm fuzzy feeling lol.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 23:38   Link #59
Jonothon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I'm liking Toohru better from the earlier episodes but I dont see him as being a romantic lead with Ohana. He seems to treat Ohana like a younger sister. He has become fond of her but I dont think he is looking for romance with her. As mentioned earlier, Ohana is making him feel important to the Inn and that is the basis for his growing affection for her.

As far as Ko and the glasses lady, its WAY too early to say, but I would lay money that she could be the mirror of Toohru and see Ko as her younger brother and advise him when it comes to what to do about Ohana.

In any case, I dont see anyone overtaking Ko as someone very important in Ohana's life, since she seems to think of him so often and considers each new experience she has as a connection to Ko.

Personally, I dont really care at this point about the who gets with who part, but I am very much enjoying this series. Can't wait for the next episode...
Jonothon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 00:53   Link #60
ChairmanMeow
Great Helmscat
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
It's still pretty early to weigh in on either side, because her ending up with Tohru or Ko could both be seen as "growing up", depending on how you look at it. Either Ohana is able to move past her old life and be with Tohru, or realize that she does reciprocate Ko's feelings. Well, that's just how I think for now. Considering the anime is not even halfway through, there's still a lot of time for development for/against both sides, so it doesn't really matter which side I want to win.

What I'm really curious about is what the inn staff thinks about Ko, especially Tohru (Ohana practically collapsed on him while talking about Ko). Felt it kind of weird that he didn't mention that when they were all gathered around eating.

Well, I'm not too sure how to judge previews anymore. Every time it always makes me think something is gonna happen, then it just sidesteps my expectations. Still a great series though, since I enjoy it being somewhat unpredictable.

Also, Ren for best 180. Once Tohru shows up, he just swallows whatever scared look he had and immediately tried to look intimidating.
ChairmanMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.