AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-06-01, 21:46   Link #8901
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Cousins aren't going to cause a problem; the DNA isn't similar enough. There's a strong stigma against it especially in America, yeah, but it's not equal to fucking your sister or brother.
But...but "onii-chan" means "yes!"
Old 2011-06-02, 01:20   Link #8902
Last Sinner
For Gnomeregan!

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Cousins aren't going to cause a problem; the DNA isn't similar enough. There's a strong stigma against it especially in America, yeah, but it's not equal to fucking your sister or brother.
You'd be forced to see your in-laws far more often since they're already family, though. I doubt most people would want that.

And technically, cousin breeding still creates a restrictive gene pool and will lead to a weaker lineage over time. It has been shown on levels of genetic stability, olfactoric attraction and longevity that the best breeding is done with people that have DNA compositions that are on a medium difference to yours. Inter-breeding is a necessity but shouldn't be excessive as it can cause other genetic flaws to enter a new gene pool in large enough numbers to cause long-term damage.
Old 2011-06-02, 02:28   Link #8903
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Genetics does. First cousins still have a pretty high probability of triggering recessive traits that could lead to health issues. But if you start talking about second and third-degree cousins it starts mattering a lot less.
Yeah, please, first cousin is like a brother or sister. No way I'll go for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Hey, if you're willing to take the risk, then you have to be willing to face the consequences. That aside, though, if you really want to be with your cousin like that and all is well on both sides of the family, then by all means go for it. By the time you reach third cousins, anyway, there should be enough genetic difference that recessive genes aren't as much as a problem as they would be in first cousins, like Dextro said.
Thing is, it never actually crossed my mind till my mom called me up the other day to tell me it's a good idea. But indeed, getting together with a first cousin is almost no different than getting together with your brother or sister, not to mention that first cousins are much more likely to live close together than second or third cousins. Truth be told, I'm not against the idea, but at the same time, I don't think it's something I want to pursue. If there's any hesitation on my part to date my cousin, it's more to do with the fact that we've known each other since we were practically babies, and the fact that our respective families have known each other for much longer than that (speaking as if they were separate families when they inherently aren't), which is the other thing that makes me uncomfortable. If things go awry between us, I can already imagine the implications so all in all, I'd rather date someone else, even if I haven't got my eye on anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
But...but "onii-chan" means "yes!"
She's actually older than me, even if by a few months
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 02:36   Link #8904
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
She's actually older than me, even if by a few months
That's fine too since "nee-san" or "onee-sama" both also mean "yes!" .
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 02:57   Link #8905
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch Send a message via Skype™ to Flinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Isn't that just common knowledge? ^_^
Old 2011-06-02, 03:40   Link #8906
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

You're forgetting otouto-kun there.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 03:57   Link #8907
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
This isn't Aki Sora.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 04:04   Link #8908
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Which reminds me I have to find a new nee-chan
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 09:09   Link #8909
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Yeah, please, first cousin is like a brother or sister. No way I'll go for that

Thing is, it never actually crossed my mind till my mom called me up the other day to tell me it's a good idea. But indeed, getting together with a first cousin is almost no different than getting together with your brother or sister, not to mention that first cousins are much more likely to live close together than second or third cousins. Truth be told, I'm not against the idea, but at the same time, I don't think it's something I want to pursue. If there's any hesitation on my part to date my cousin, it's more to do with the fact that we've known each other since we were practically babies, and the fact that our respective families have known each other for much longer than that (speaking as if they were separate families when they inherently aren't), which is the other thing that makes me uncomfortable. If things go awry between us, I can already imagine the implications so all in all, I'd rather date someone else, even if I haven't got my eye on anyone.
Yeah, but a fair amount of the time you don't live right next to your cousins. For instance most of my caousins live quite far away, and occasionally I find one of them attractive. However I could see why you wouldn't want to date a cousin you grew up with, that's all kinds of messed up.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 09:21   Link #8910
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Yeah, but a fair amount of the time you don't live right next to your cousins. For instance most of my caousins live quite far away, and occasionally I find one of them attractive. However I could see why you wouldn't want to date a cousin you grew up with, that's all kinds of messed up.
To be fair, it's not as if I actually grew up right next to them, we live quite far away from each other actually, and that's coupled with the fact I've been oversead most of my life. It's just that we've known each other for so long (like I said, ever since we were babies) as part of the same family that at least on my end, it's not something I'd be particularly keen on.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 23:06   Link #8911
Masuzu
サイアク、トキメキ、ヘンシン、コクハク
*Author

hhmm, this interests, and confuses me somewhat

what exactly do you mean by "first, second, third..." cousin?

as for dating, i'm not sure, i mean, very few of them even live in the same country i do, and practically none of them even look remotely similar to me

still, knowing that you're related to them is...yeah

although,

i've always wanted an "onee-chan" if you know what i mean

and i certainly wouldn't say no to "...nii-san"
Old 2011-06-02, 23:49   Link #8912
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch Send a message via Skype™ to Flinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
i've always wanted an "onee-chan" if you know what i mean

and i certainly wouldn't say no to "...nii-san"
Please find me a guy who would disagree.
Old 2011-06-03, 00:39   Link #8913
Last Sinner
For Gnomeregan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Please find me a guy who would disagree.
Guy who disagrees, reporting in.
Old 2011-06-03, 00:46   Link #8914
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Guy who disagrees, reporting in.
Grr...

In my warped logic, I hereby exclude you, therefore making my statements without faults.
Old 2011-06-03, 01:33   Link #8915
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
hhmm, this interests, and confuses me somewhat

what exactly do you mean by "first, second, third..." cousin?

as for dating, i'm not sure, i mean, very few of them even live in the same country i do, and practically none of them even look remotely similar to me
Well first cousins are your parent's sibling's children, right?, second cousins are a branch further out than that they are your grandparent's sibling's grand children, and thus third cousins are your great grandparent's sibling's great grand children, and so on. [I hope I am explain that correct.]
Old 2011-06-03, 02:36   Link #8916
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Not quite, from what I personally understand... I think that second cousins are your first cousin's children, and then third cousins are their children (i.e., your first cousin's grandchildren)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 02:44   Link #8917
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Not quite, from what I personally understand... I think that second cousins are your first cousin's children, and then third cousins are their children (i.e., your first cousin's grandchildren)
Hmmm I don't think that's right... I thought a generation gap caused them to be "X removed" per generation gap, so that your cousin's children are your "cousins once removed", or else meeting your third cousin would be near highly unlikely since that would mean your third cousin is cousin's great grandchild . And nearly impossible for them to be older than you .
Old 2011-06-03, 03:03   Link #8918
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic

The cousin chart.
Old 2011-06-03, 04:32   Link #8919
Last Sinner
For Gnomeregan!

Flocking your relative - good in theory, disastrous in execution.
Old 2011-06-03, 05:47   Link #8920
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
I posted a graph link on the previous page that showed how it works. It doesn't go down from you, it goes up and over. So for every level of cousin, go back one generation to find the common ancestor, starting with your parents.

So first cousin, the common ancestor is your grandparents. Second is your great-grandparents. Third is your great-great-grandparents.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, break-ups, dating, dating after divorce, divorce, happiness, love, pairings, single dad, single mom