AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 13 17.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 31.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 32.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 6.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 4.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-06-05, 16:13   Link #41
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Wonderful episode! There were quite a number of heartwarming moments and a number of scenes where I had to simply go "wtf mate" and that was especially the case with Jiromaru bringing in his fail porn book to read it to Ohana. That's really not something you do when a girl is sick On the upside, we got to see quite a number of shots with a young Manager, and by the gods, she was stunning!

This episode really showed that a number of characters made leaps and bounds in terms of progress, especially Minko. Throughout the ep, Tohru gave some pretty clear signs that he likes Ohana, even when she's not around. Despite this, Minko didn't have a go at her and instead became more concerned about how she was feeling. The fact she thought of pulling a prank and overcame herself in that sense really shows how much her attittude toward Ohana changed. The dream sequences were pretty well thought out. I'm not sure who that girl and the fox were, but I think that was the angel or godess that Nako referred to earlier in the series in reference to the lights on the walkway, and how lighting them brings good fortune in matters of love.

In terms of Ohana's insecurities about how useful she is to Kissuiso, the thing is that when someone has a high fever, they tend to overthink things or feel more emotional than they normally are, and may end up misunderstanding certain things. While Nako's choice of words could've been better at first, Ohana's fever also played a part in it but the last dream sequence showed that Nako's later words did reach her in the end, and it does seem more and more as though Ohana's leaving her past life behind, although she is feeling some regret with it.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 16:16   Link #42
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Interesting ep, but there's some relationship trolling going on here. We're less than halfway through - as anyone who survived a series shipping series (which I still don't think this is) can tell you, the worst thing that can happen is peaking too soon. It was a big week for Tohru and seemingly bad for Kou, but it's too early to call that definitive. There's also no reason to conclude Ohana has any feelings for Tohru whatsoever.
I'd hardly call showing a long distance relationship falling apart trolling

But really. We're almost at the halfway point in the series, and Ko's recent connection attempt with Ohana went south. As you said. This isn't a shipping series. So things OTHER that Ohana's relationship with Ko are going to be dealt with. And I can't help but think...how much more different will Ohana be when she finally gets face to face with Ko again? It's questionable how close they are to each other at this point. This latest episode has all this symbolism inside Ohana's mind indicating that she might not feel as reliant on Ko as she used to.

And I don't really see what Ohana's lack of romantic affection for Tohru at this point helps Ko out at all. From my perspective, this theoretical relationship is already spiraling down to the ground independent of Tohru. Tohru shipping it out with Minchi doesn't make the odds for OhanaXKo much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I did find the whole sequence with Ohana concluding she was no longer needed a bit flimsy and overwrought. Really, that was a massive overreaction even for someone with a fever - and it came totally out of the blue as well.
People with fevers are stupid and melodramatic Ohana was REALLY out of it for awhile there.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 16:35   Link #43
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I'd hardly call showing a long distance relationship falling apart trolling

But really. We're almost at the halfway point in the series, and Ko's recent connection attempt with Ohana went south. As you said. This isn't a shipping series. So things OTHER that Ohana's relationship with Ko are going to be dealt with. And I can't help but think...how much more different will Ohana be when she finally gets face to face with Ko again? It's questionable how close they are to each other at this point. This latest episode has all this symbolism inside Ohana's mind indicating that she might not feel as reliant on Ko as she used to.

And I don't really see what Ohana's lack of romantic affection for Tohru at this point helps Ko out at all. From my perspective, this theoretical relationship is already spiraling down to the ground independent of Tohru. Tohru shipping it out with Minchi doesn't make the odds for OhanaXKo much better.


People with fevers are stupid and melodramatic Ohana was REALLY out of it for awhile there.
People on this series are often stupid and melodramatic if it's necessary for a plot point...

I think it's necessary to view the Kou and Tohru situations as independent of each other, as it's not an either/or situation - "none of the above" is still the favorite IMO. That's why I think Ohana's total lack of interest in Tohru is relevant whether it helps Kou or not.

That said, Kou was the one who retreated on his own volition - we just don't know how Ohana would have reacted if she'd seen him. Far, far too much effort has been put into that plot for it to simply become irrelevant and disappear this far from the end. One way or the other, that relationship is going to be critical to the ultimate resolution of things.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 16:51   Link #44
Dawnstorm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austria
I don't know. Not being needed might be a deep-seated fear with Ohana. Remember that her mother didn't exactly shower her with love, and at home she made herself useful. That could well have led to a basic habit: if I'm useless they're not going to tolerate me. That's also consistent with Ohana's over-the-top reaction to the old lady on the train in ep1: "I always wanted to meet an old lady who gives you candy." Like that's a mystical beast she's heard of only in stories. And then she comes to Kissuiso, and the first thing her grandmother gives her is a bucket. Business as usual.

Then, in defiance, she works harder than anyone expects and creats a place for herself. It's not inconcievable that, deep down, she feels her value is what is she does, rather than who she is. And if what she does could be done by others just as well...

The outburst worked well for me. Ohana's been putting on a brave face, and not only at Kissuiso. It seems that the only person who gave her a sense of worth for who she is is Kou. So those fever dreams about that fox-shrine fit right in. She's slowly growing a sense of self-worth based on relationships rather than utility value. That's gotta hurt. The dream, then, makes Kou lose his special status, but - on the other hand - it takes a lot of potential pressure from him. Ohana might now start to see him differently, since the support-system function is now less important. It can go either way: growing distance or a new closeness (maybe kickstarted by that confession, which absolutely surprised Ohana).

Loved the episode.

[Side note: Happy Nako makes me happy. ]
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 16:53   Link #45
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
People on this series are often stupid and melodramatic if it's necessary for a plot point...

I think it's necessary to view the Kou and Tohru situations as independent of each other, as it's not an either/or situation - "none of the above" is still the favorite IMO. That's why I think Ohana's total lack of interest in Tohru is relevant whether it helps Kou or not.
That's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think?

Why exactly did Ohana find it necessary to personally chase down Tohru not once, but twice? Is it really such a stretch to think that maybe this means that Ohana does have some interest in Tohru?

Also...


Quote:

That said, Kou was the one who retreated on his own volition - we just don't know how Ohana would have reacted if she'd seen him. Far, far too much effort has been put into that plot for it to simply become irrelevant and disappear this far from the end. One way or the other, that relationship is going to be critical to the ultimate resolution of things.
Which is why I find your "none of the above" prediction a bit odd. What total trolling from Okada if that's how it ends.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 17:10   Link #46
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think?

Why exactly did Ohana find it necessary to personally chase down Tohru not once, but twice? Is it really such a stretch to think that maybe this means that Ohana does have some interest in Tohru?
Because Ohana's the type that does things herself. In neither case was she interested in Tohru for himself. The first time, she only cared because Minchi did. The second time, they just needed a cook. She'd have been just as desperate if Ren had gone to a wedding and Tohru was breaking down in the kitchen. (But of course, Ren would have been a lot less likely to misinterpret it...)
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 17:11   Link #47
Grey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think?

Why exactly did Ohana find it necessary to personally chase down Tohru not once, but twice? Is it really such a stretch to think that maybe this means that Ohana does have some interest in Tohru?
No, it was a fair call. Ohana's an impulsive do-it-yourself girl who works hard for Kissuiso. Chasing down Tohru fit with that. Not to mention she's been cheering on Minko's interest in Tohru from the start. IIRC, Minko's interest in Tohru was in fact the main reason Ohana charged out after Tohru the first time.

Sure, the story could spin that later as hidden interest. But right now Ohana's shown no real interest.

Most anime/manga aren't really that subtle about who major characters like.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 17:14   Link #48
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think it's necessary to view the Kou and Tohru situations as independent of each other, as it's not an either/or situation - "none of the above" is still the favorite IMO. That's why I think Ohana's total lack of interest in Tohru is relevant whether it helps Kou or not.
The fact that they can be viewed independently is a sign that Ohana and Ko is in atrocious shape.

If Ko really had a chance with Ohana at this point, the the fact that Ohana WAS growing more at ease with another guy who was in love with her WOULD be a relevant point.


The fact that Ko is so far out of the equation is something that more and more I feel the show is trying to elaborate on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That said, Kou was the one who retreated on his own volition - we just don't know how Ohana would have reacted if she'd seen him. Far, far too much effort has been put into that plot for it to simply become irrelevant and disappear this far from the end. One way or the other, that relationship is going to be critical to the ultimate resolution of things.
Well, how Ohana would have reacted at that point in time isn't much tangent to who she gets with by the end of the series. Because she didn't see Ko that day, and likely won't for quite awhile.

But yes. Ko is probably going to tie in heavily towards the end of the series...though more likely than not in the context of Ohana finally realizing that everything from her old life really is gone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think?

Why exactly did Ohana find it necessary to personally chase down Tohru not once, but twice? Is it really such a stretch to think that maybe this means that Ohana does have some interest in Tohru?
Well to be fair she WAS trying to do it the first time for Minko...then later for the Inn as a whole. Tohru might be thinking he's getting a few more signals than he is.

Though I'll point out that Ohana does have a much more positive outlook of Tohru than she did previously. Though right now it seems to be manifesting into more of a "Wow! He's actually not to bad of a guy...for Minchi".



At this point my bet is that Ohana will either end the series with Tohru or without coupling with anyone. It's the only realistic options. Ko just doesn't really plausibly factor in.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 17:22   Link #49
Leo_Otaku
俺たち は リトルバスターズ!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada/ Winterpeg
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I thought I heard her say Kaa-chan rather than Ko-chan at the end of the episode. Maybe that is just me?
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 17:37   Link #50
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Because Ohana's the type that does things herself. In neither case was she interested in Tohru for himself.
Come on. Even Grey admits the story could spin her personally chasing after Tohru twice as a sign of hidden interest.

And to both you and Grey: How often in anime is a cigar just a cigar, or a cake just a cake (especially when it comes to relationship issues)?

There's certainly nothing confirmed here, but there's enough reason for legitimate suspicion.


Quote:
She'd have been just as desperate if Ren had gone to a wedding and Tohru was breaking down in the kitchen. (But of course, Ren would have been a lot less likely to misinterpret it...)
I'm not so sure about that myself. I think that some people are taking these events too much at face value. Okada's writing is usually more complex than that, in my view.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 17:42   Link #51
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
RRR, I didn't say Ohana was going to end up with Kou - merely that the resolution of the relationship is going to be an integral part of the conclusion. I don't see that as an either/or at all - I still think "none of the above" fits in with that scenario just fine.

Any suggestion that Ohana is interested in Tohru is pure projection at this point - there's just no hard evidence, and as others have already said, trying to interpret Ohana chasing him down to help the inn as romantic interest sounds like wishful thinking to me. That's not to say she won't develop an interest later, and he's certainly warm for her form (whether a 23 year-old lusting after a 16 year-old is creepy is an individual call, I think) but I just don't buy that there's been a scrap of evidence to indicate she has interest.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 17:49   Link #52
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
Well Tohru has completely fallen for Ohana. His concern over her and that meal were significant gestures. Also him blushing pretty much sealed the deal.

Minchi has final figured it out that Tohru likes Ohana. Kind of feel sorry, but she should realize that Ohana doesn't like him.

Lol at Jiromaru story. Even grandma came in to check on her. Nako was great standing up and voicing her feelings to Ohana. Best was Tomoe and grandma getting rid of Jiromaru and her son.
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 17:49   Link #53
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
RRR, I didn't say Ohana was going to end up with Kou - merely that the resolution of the relationship is going to be an integral part of the conclusion.
Given that Ko has an obvious crush on Ohana, and even went so far as to confess his feelings to her, that resolution would have to involve some sort of concrete response from Ohana to Ko pertaining to those romantic feelings, don't you think? In other words, an ultimate romantic rejection or acceptance.

So, "none of the above" means, for Ko at least, that she's going to flat-out reject him. Is that what you're predicting?


Quote:
I don't see that as an either/or at all - I still think "none of the above" fits in with that scenario just fine.
I'd consider that a very unsatisfying ending given all of the romantic hints and shipping subplots of this anime. I would consider it massive trolling on Okada's part.


Quote:

Any suggestion that Ohana is interested in Tohru is pure projection at this point - there's just no hard evidence, and as others have already said, trying to interpret Ohana chasing him down to help the inn as romantic interest sounds like wishful thinking to me.
If she had only done it once, I'd agree. But she did it twice, and with the two times not too far apart from one another. And in the second instance, there were (as many AS posters debated at length) much more logical ways that Ohana could have went about it. Oh, and the guy she chased down twice just happens to have a persistent crush on her...

You really think Okada isn't trying to foreshadow or hint at something there? It's quite the coincidence, otherwise, imo...
__________________

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-06-05 at 18:08.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 17:59   Link #54
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Usually I really adore these sorts of episodes, but taken in context of the entire series, it doesn't quite work as well.

For one thing, I almost feel like this was a natural lead up from episodes 1 and 2, except we were missing episodes in between that and episode 10. This Ohana is the same Ohana who we knew in episodes 1 and 2. The Ohana in episodes 3-9 is a far different, more evolved Ohana (A more boring one I must say as well).

Now it's not that I have a problem with this sort of Ohana, and if she stayed this way for the rest of the series, I'd be more than satisfied. It's just that again this show expresses a freaking IDENTITY CRISIS.

No really. This is the Ohana we came to knew in episodes 1 and 2. The same sort of paranoid, insecure Ohana that frankly is a little emotionally frustrated inside, despite the cheerful appearance on the outside. The Ohana in episodes 3-9 was more of a bullheaded girl who charged into situations no matter how silly, and was trying to be everyone's helper girl. She wasn't very emotionally complex at all. Really, while such characters are not necessarily bad, I much prefer this other Ohana. This Ohana has more depth.

The problem is trying to connect the two. The world in episodes 3-9 is usually far more zany (At times WAY TOO zany such as 3 and 7). Ohana's personality shifted to match these contrasting sides of the story, but this makes the story feel very unnatural. I mean, there was no good build up from the previous episodes that Ohana was this insecure about her worth to the Inn. It comes off as overwrought, especially considering how useful she was in the last couple episodes where as Guardian Enzo pointed out, she was truly indispensable.

I'm going to keep saying it despite people not wanting me to, but really, this show needs to stick with one style or this series will continue to be disorienting, slapping many viewers with jarring shifts in tone, direction, narrative, and characterization.

Other comments about the episode though is that it's nice to see Minko and Nako have a good moment with Ohana, even if Ohana's drama comes off as overwrought due to the previous episodes (But again, had there been more peisodes like 1 and 2 between those and episode 10 it would've been completely natural).

I'm fairly skeptical of these dream sequences that seem to foreshadow feelings and events to come. If they don't actually end up meaning anything, I'll likely look down on them as senseless wastes of time. For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.r

But otherwise still a fairly good episode, 8/10. I hope this leads to better things. While the previous two episodes were not bad themselves, I also don't think they represent the best of this series. I still think episodes 1 and 2, and now 10 (If I take 10 in a vacuum, but unfortunately I can't) represent the best of Hanasaku thus far.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 18:10   Link #55
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh no! So on today's episode of "let's make Ohana miserable" Ohana is sick. It's ok, I understand Ohana's feelings. I get sick when I'm surrounded by fail anyways. Such is the duty of the one that carries the whole show on her own shoulders.

Perv Writer, bleh, die. If you didn't cement your place as trash, you did already. (And not in the Kaiji i can come back sense either)

Dream scenes were pretty corny. I laughed pretty hard at them, and after Ohana recollects and reaffirms her thoughts, she finally finds her true pairing:

Spoiler:


.... well just look at grandma.

Minko and Nako were pretty funny in doing their encouraging speech after they saw Ohana cry, so they earn brownie points. And Minko was trying to prank her still.

I was wishing Tohru would do something, but honestly... lol.

Rating: 6/10 It was pretty meh overall, but some decent cast interaction plus reaffirming Ohana's true motivations lets me give this episode a pass. Grandma is also starting to pull her weight to help the show as she shrugs off that stupid bitch.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 18:18   Link #56
Lessing-love
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Any suggestion that Ohana is interested in Tohru is pure projection at this point - there's just no hard evidence, and as others have already said, trying to interpret Ohana chasing him down to help the inn as romantic interest sounds like wishful thinking to me. That's not to say she won't develop an interest later, and he's certainly warm for her form (whether a 23 year-old lusting after a 16 year-old is creepy is an individual call, I think) but I just don't buy that there's been a scrap of evidence to indicate she has interest.
Yeah, I agree on the lack of hard evidence Ohana is interested in him at this point; heck, Minko is the character she comes off as having the deepest feelings for at Kissuiso, and that's just your basic average emotionally intense blossoming teenage female friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Minchi has final figured it out that Tohru likes Ohana. Kind of feel sorry, but she should realize that Ohana doesn't like him.
I dunno. I think she's suspected something was up even as early as episode 4; notice when she 'saves' Ohana from Tohru's criticism, she has an...interesting look on her face? And just before the that, we're shown a shot from her perspective, looking at Tohru and Ohana. So at the very least, she was beginning to become jealous from early on.
__________________
I just want a sandwich.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2011-06-06 at 00:54. Reason: please use the multiquote function or the edit button instead of double posting
Lessing-love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 18:50   Link #57
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Italy
Age: 23
Nearly perfect. Amazing episode.
__________________
Sorry for the poor english.
The italian schools don't care very much about proper foreign languages teaching


Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 19:12   Link #58
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Age: 22
Does anybody know if the rumor of Hanasaku spanning over the course of 10 years is true? Ive read about in 4chan...but seeing as its , well..."4chan" I don't really believe it.

As in the story starting with Ohana 16 and ending at her being 26? Anybody know?
.x.crii.x. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 19:18   Link #59
Zeroryoko1974
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
A staple trope in shoujo drama, the main character gets a fever and collapses. A decent episode
__________________
Zeroryoko1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 19:29   Link #60
Grey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Come on. Even Grey admits the story could spin her personally chasing after Tohru twice as a sign of hidden interest.

And to both you and Grey: How often in anime is a cigar just a cigar, or a cake just a cake (especially when it comes to relationship issues)?

There's certainly nothing confirmed here, but there's enough reason for legitimate suspicion.
Heh, but I would also admit the story could also spin Ohana's lack of worry about Jiromaru's creepiness as interest in him. I was just saying: stories can spin tons of earlier events in new ways. That doesn't mean the stuff is real evidence for anything at the time.

It's just a literary tactic. You spin an old event in a new way, so you can start a new development that doesn't look like it comes out of nowhere. The point here is that it would be new, because Ohana doesn't show any real interest in him yet.

And usually a cigar is just a cigar. If it's not a cigar, they show a scene early on where the cigar has an evil cape and top hat on.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.