AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-06-05, 12:39   Link #1
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, can we sticky the "Retired" Link in the Older Series thread page?

A member recently couldn't find the True Tears subforum and I have to say I had trouble finding it as well.

Some link obvious to newbies should be available from the first page in the Older Series section.

(or a link from the closed "Retired" section's single post on the main page?)

Yes, I know there's a little dim "show subforum list" in the upper right of the page... but frankly, that isn't very intuitive as a searcher might not realize the series they seek has been "retired" (and simple searching won't reveal it).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 12:44   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You can Ctrl+F "true tears" to find it.
Old 2011-06-05, 12:46   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
You can Ctrl+F "true tears" to find it.
Fabulous, I'm sure casual users intuitively know THAT Anyway, chatting with a mod or two and they agree, the route can be tortured for the average user so they're chatting with the admins.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 14:06   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

All the casual user needs is a search box that’s visible, and we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

I’m afraid the problem is the system wasn’t designed for this. I suppose the obvious solution would be to have a drop-down menu, given how retired series aren’t really active enough for activity and statistics to matter anymore. As a casual user would you find that intuitive? A plugin I remember doing this used +/- to indicate new posts.

(hypothetically speaking of course, since this would require edits in 6 templates )
Old 2011-06-06, 10:09   Link #5
brocko

I have to agree with Vexx, the retired section is very secluded and very hard to find. I've run into this problem a few times in the past but never bothered to bring it up myself.

The only other real way to access it at the moment apart from the "Show Subforum List" drop-down menu in the top right of the Older Series forum is through the Anime Discussion upper forum (reference image). Which is a very roundabout method and not very intuitive imo.

Even the Retired sub-forum link on the front page goes no where*, leading only to a dead end thread.

EDIT:
* Okay so I've realised that there's also the "Show Subforum List" drop-down menu in the top right corner when you go into the Retired sub-forum from the main page. But is that drop-down option there really necessary? It just seems like an unneccessary step that does nothing except add more confusion to the matter instead (as displayed by me missing it entirely during my first drafting of this post pre-edit)

I think the entire situation could be solved altogether by displaying the whole Retired list right from the get go when you enter the Retired sub-forum (i.e no drop down menu here, i mean why else would i be going into this place anyway if i weren't looking for the retired series? =/) as that provides quick and easy access from the main page with only a single click/step.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2011-06-06 at 10:42.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 10:49   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Ok I understand the problem now.

@brocko, the dropdown is there because of how things work for Current Series.

The simplest solution to all of this is to just to move the entire forum list to the bottom of the template instead of the top and take out the dropdown thing entirely. Or a condition can be placed on the little javascript snippet to make it so that forum defaults to open, rather then close.
Old 2011-06-06, 13:27   Link #7
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Or a condition can be placed on the little javascript snippet to make it so that forum defaults to open, rather then close.
Done......
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote