AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-06, 20:32   Link #1
Zeffer
The Tragic Hero

Send a message via AIM to Zeffer Send a message via Yahoo to Zeffer
Dark\Sad\Mature?

I'm looking for a series; OVA or TV is fine. I don't care how old it is, I'm just looking for something good. Same goes with being licensed or un-licensed, either works. Now with this out of the way, my request:

I would like a darker series, and if it's not a flat-out dark series, a dark undertone would be nice. Also, I would perfer if it was more mature, rather then being "all ages," which I've almost always thought of as childish as a whole. The amount of action to it doesn't really matter, it would be nice if it has some, but it's not a necessity. Over all I'm looking for something like the first three on the list below.
(Feel free to suggest it, but I've never really been able to get into mecha.)

Some series I've really enjoyed have been:
-Berserk (Realistic characters, dark, and muture.)
-Elfen Lied (Touching, though dark and sad at times.)
-Voices of a Distant Star (Not a series, but I liked the overall tone and how sad it was.)
-GunGrave (The friendship between Harry and Brandon, and how it falls apart: The ending being the best, for those that have seen it you know what I mean.)
-Juuni Kokki: AKA ?12 Kingdoms? (Like Berserk but not as mature or as dark, also with more "happy" moments.)
-Scrapped Princess (The "protect her, even though she might kill everone one day" part of the plot.)
-Witch Hunter Robin (People with powers hunting others like them. I also liked the twist of what the captured witches have been used for.)
-Full Metal Alchemist (The darker undertones to it.)

I also liked Cowboy Bebop, TriGun, and Outlaw Star (To list some stuff everyone has seen). The comic side to Outlaw star didn't bug me much, but I really didn't like it in TriGun, the change in animation just bugs me.

Thanks!
Old 2004-11-06, 21:50   Link #2
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I think you might like, based more on your description than the series you have seen, Now and Then, Here and There - the most depressing series I've ever seen and one of the most amazing, in every aspect. It is certainly no all ages, and you'll see what I mean. A sad, dark, emotional rollercoaster that makes you cringe and hope against hope.
Licensed, 13 Episodes

You say you liked Fullmetal Alchemist and Scrapped Princess. An often dark, sometimes sad series made by the same people is Wolf's Rain. It's generally an ' epic journey before the apocalypse comes' type of story, but it is very well made and fits your requirements. An added bonus is music by the amazing Yoko Kanno.
Licensed, 30 Episodes

I also highly suggest that you give Monster a shot. It is a series based on the manga of the same. Monster the manga was created by Urasawa Naoki, my favorite mangaka. The anime follows the manga very, very closely. Monster is a drama, mystery, and horror story with very dark undertones that show through very often. It has its sad parts as well. It is also undoubtedly one of the greatest stories ever told.
Unlicensed, Ongoing, 28 Episodes fansubbed so far
Old 2004-11-06, 22:24   Link #3
Anime-FAN

Last Exile
X
Infinite Ryvius
Gunslinger Girl
Ninja Scroll Movie ( dont watch the tv, its totally bulls**t and kiddy type -.-. It's like dbz/naruto clone talk+fight+actingcool+talk+fight+actingcool, you get what i mean )
Noir
Old 2004-11-06, 23:28   Link #4
Alterscape

I second the reccomendation for Last Exile and Now and Then, Here and There. I'm thinking you might find Wolf's Rain a little melodramatic, but its also very good. [b]Haibane Renmei[b] is also incredible, but you might find it a little too slow and artsy. It's got a wonderful story, and is certainly sad.
Old 2004-11-07, 00:06   Link #5
Nubixkube

Zeffer, I've seen 6 out of the 8 series that you've enjoyed and I can say that you will really enjoy the series Monster, it's by far one of the most intriguing series I've seen. It's a drama / mystery / horror that is worth taking a look at. Hell it's also easy to get, you can find it right here at

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/378.html

There is a promo torrent also available, it's only 3.8 mb, I'd definetly check that out.

Also you may want to try the series Naruto, it's quite long (up to 107 episodes) but is still a very entertaining series. It's worth watching the first episode to see what you think. I'd say if you watch up to episode 20, then you'd have a good feel whether you'd like the anime or not. There is a relationship between two characters in Naruto that kind of reminds me about the relationship Brandon and Harry had from gungrave, only with ninjas and no necrorise :P

I would consider Naruto to be a Comedy / Action / Adventure anime. Many people would not consider Naruto to be a dark anime, but it is. I've personally watched 107 episodes of the anime (up to the current release) and read 238 chapters of the manga (up to the current release) and when I look at the entire story, it is a dark anime.

A friend of mine and myself started watching Naruto around the same time, when the only other series we'd seen were up to the Cell Saga part of DBZ, Berserk, Hellsing (another series worth seeing, only 13 episodes) and Outlaw Star. After we watched the first 20 episodes, we were quite frankly addicted to it.

By the way Zeffer, have you ever considered reading manga or are you strictly into anime?

Last edited by Nubixkube; 2004-11-07 at 00:47.
Old 2004-11-07, 06:49   Link #6
7thMethuselah

How about Sheep's Song / Hitsuji no Uta, its rather dark deals with vampires, only 4 episoeds though

Old 2004-11-07, 11:24   Link #7
Cornel

Serial Experiments Lain is the saddest animes I have ever seen. It is 13 episodes. Perfect Blue, a movie, is twisting and also dark. Ichigo also has some sad parts, but it is like Naruto only better.
Old 2004-11-07, 11:44   Link #8
Ending

Talking

How strange, no one has mentioned Elven Bride, Buttopi CPU, or Spaceshp Aggaruter yet. They should be mature at least, if not so serious.

You can try Interlude OVA too.
Old 2004-11-07, 13:02   Link #9
Ialdaboth

Otogi zoushi is mature, serious, still running and licenced by Media Blasters.
Old 2004-11-07, 21:14   Link #10
Cornel

I guess Cowboy Bebop could also fit these descriptions.
Old 2004-11-07, 21:24   Link #11
Zeffer
The Tragic Hero

Well, first off, thanks for all the help.

I've seen Noir, Now and Then..., Gunslinger Girls, Ninja Scroll (And I agree, the series was BS) and X. Thought they were all good, Noir and Now and Then... being great, I just didn't think of them when I first posted.

As for Naruto I saw the first season (via a friend) and thought it was okay, but seeing as it was at ep 70 something I pushed it off.

I saw some of Monster (up to about ep 6) but just couldn't get into it, but I'll try it again to see.

Wolf's Rain and Last Exile I was getting into but lost them due to a harddrive crash, so thanks for bringing them up because I want to finish them now.

The others that I didn't know of, I'm looking up right now to see if they seem any good, so thanks.

(And I also read manga, Nubixkube, but it's normally after watching a TV series that was based off of it, but if you know of anything you think I may like feel free to name them, my taste is the same.)
Old 2004-11-07, 21:59   Link #12
Zeffer
The Tragic Hero

Okay... yeah... Wirhe, I think there was a... little... misunderstanding... of what I meant by mature. I didn't mean "I'm lonely on frieday night" type mature... just... wll, a story aimed at older people... LOL. Thanks for the input, but hentia's not my thing. (Though, Buttopi CUP did have a good review; "despite being labeled as an "erotic comedy", Buttobi CPU is a fairly versatile show that can be watched and enjoyed by anyone who isn't offended by the sexual content", and the main character sounds a lot like me, so I may watch it.)
Old 2004-11-08, 01:49   Link #13
Nubixkube

Gantz manga may be something you'd be interested in reading, there is also an anime but I prefer the manga. It can be very adult sometimes, as in nudity and sex, but that happens few and far between. Still a good read.
Old 2004-11-08, 04:24   Link #14
Anime-FAN

You might also wanna try out this one OVA Hoshi no Koe:Voice of the Distant Star ?

Its more to romance, sad and lil bit of dark.
Old 2004-11-08, 15:12   Link #15
Arwyn

You might also try;

liscensed;

Raxephon- it looks like mecha and schoolkids, but dumps that pretty quick for a very serious storyline with a good dose of romance, action and some very dark/sad moments.

Blue Gender- very dark theme to it, and a decent storyline. A little bit of everything, although there is also a strong eco-friendly theme in the series as well.

I would second Last Exile as well, great animation, good storyline, and tries for a much more serious storyline than most.

Jin Roh- this is about as dark and mature as you can get. Very deep exploration of humanity and morality, excellent movie, but very grim.

Fansub;

Monster- it is a slower paced series, and more of a psychological horror that blood and guts. Its very good, but if your six episodes into it an not getting into it, it might not be the best choice.

Sokyuu no Fafner- looks like another mecha/schoolkids, and is, but its also much deeper than that. Another strong subtheme of morality and humanity, and what it means to be human. Not a very happy series though.
Old 2004-11-08, 15:35   Link #16
fjoggen

Texhnolyze This is exactly what you are looking for. All characters are old/mature not teen. The story is dark, sad and intellectual. Although not that intellectual.

Haibane Renmei Not that dark, but the again not that happy either. This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it is a really good show that is fare above 'Naruto and the more immature aspects of anime in story telling. And it is also a darker anime with its sad moments.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien Okay this is first a love story and second a love story. But the story it self is one of the best written story's I have encounter in the world of anime. The first episodes is about high school kids, but it soon takes a time steep in to the adult world and here is were it really begins. With tragedy and some truly sad moments.

Saishuheiki Kanojo A must se if you want sad anime, dark and mature anime.
Old 2004-11-08, 20:51   Link #17
100demons
F-Bomb

Ok. Your in my neck of the woods. I love all those categories you just mentioned.
I have really really good suggestion. "Paranoia Agent", it just came out on dvd. I got the first disk yesterday......oh my god its awesome. It's by Satoshi kon, the guy that brought us "perfect blue"(If you haven't seen perfect blue see it, its really dark and amazing!) "tokyo godfather" "millenium Actress" and so on. This is his first try at a tv show, and it's gooood! he has been called a japanese hitchcock, and I agree 100%. Have fun.
Old 2004-11-09, 20:56   Link #18
Zeffer
The Tragic Hero

Thanks for even more, I got a really big list going now.

(And Anime-Fan, I agree, Voices of a Distant Star is one of the best I've ever seen.)
Old 2004-11-11, 23:28   Link #19
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

Zeffer, your taste in anime is very similar to mine. I'll suggest a few series that I enjoyed and maybe u'll have an interest in them also.

Liscensed:

- RahXehpon, a romantic sci-fi in a mecha-type setting. Has some of the more realistic and life-likes characters, in that Cowboy Bebop type of way.

- Kenshin Reminiscence OVA, I'm surprised that no one mentioned this yet, and perhaps even more surprised if you haven't already watched it. A romantic drama set in the end of the Edo period in Japan, the anime is considered one of the best by many.

- Macross Plus OVA, this one is one of my favourite. Nothing like the previous Macross series, this one is very sophisticated. At heart it is about a love triangle story, yet it is masterfully told and supported by Yoko Kanno musical talents.

- Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex (1st season), IMO the top sci-fi story, period. Some episodes are very dark, definitely mature in the sense that it is not for the squeamish. Yet the story is brilliant, especially the Laughing Man episodes. A must-see for the sci-fi fans. 2nd season doesn't seem as good so far IMO.
Closed Thread