AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-06-15, 20:02   Link #141
Miraluka
Even after hope's lost...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Which series you're talking about? Oreimo or Haganai? Sad to say that they're the only two novels that I actually finish up to date...
His first sentence is about the first, the second about this thread series.
__________________
Your last hope!
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 20:23   Link #142
ion475
にこにこにー
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 国立音ノ木坂学院
Quote:
His first sentence is about the first, the second about this thread series.
I did misread it...

But this novel is #2 in the ranking for a reason (and that's WAY before the anime is announced...), even though the author is more known for novels that got discontinued more than anything...
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 20:40   Link #143
kemal_1915
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
I did misread it...

But this novel is #2 in the ranking for a reason (and that's WAY before the anime is announced...), even though the author is more known for novels that got discontinued more than anything...
The reason is his style
He has good with his story-telling skill but his novels are often too sarcastic, especially against the society and otaku culture
He can regain reputation from some hardcore readers like me but not easily accept by average readers
However, this one (BokuTomo) is more reader-friendly than his previous works
So, it is reasonable for its popularity

um...AIC...
I will make my comment until the PV is out
kemal_1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 01:05   Link #144
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
I did misread it...

But this novel is #2 in the ranking for a reason (and that's WAY before the anime is announced...), even though the author is more known for novels that got discontinued more than anything...
It's not #2... as of last week.

16, *9,454 *,116,082 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai vol.6

If it finishes @ around 150,000 than it is still well behind a lot of other series... but it's definitely more popular prior to the anime than any other big series atm. Index, DRR, Baka Test were nowhere near selling as well as Haganai is right now. If this receives from the anime a similar bump to the novels like OreNo got than Haganai will be only behind Haruhi. A successful Haganai anime could push these light novels to around 400,000+.. I mean look @ the jump DRR received purely from the anime!

Weekly Light Novel Ranking for Jan 25 - 31
*2, 13,186 *45,804 Durarara!! vol.1


^ This is the first time it charted on Oricon after the anime started airing.

LN Sales Rankings for Dec 09-Nov10

Light Novel Ranking
*1, 1,211,835 Moshidora
*2, *,328,113 Durarara!! vol.1


^ And this was the sales it ended up doing by the end of November... so it went from selling under 30,000 to increasing by nearly 300,000 copies to sell 328k due to the anime. Baka Test had a similar increase....

Now Haganai is in a much better position prior to the anime, Vol 1 is probably @ 150-160k, can't be fucked checking. This really is the only contender to Haruhi, hopefully AIC don't drop the ball.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 04:26   Link #145
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Hmmm... Interesting... I heard this exact same tune being sung last year for OreImo as well...
Good harem and good slice-of-life have two things in common: a good cast.

I don't mean one or two good characters, I mean where the entire cast is generally good.

That is what Haganai has and what OreImo does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
This really is the only contender to Haruhi, hopefully AIC don't drop the ball.
Could this be the successor I have been waiting for?
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 18:49   Link #146
ion475
にこにこにー
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 国立音ノ木坂学院
Quote:
It's not #2... as of last week.
I'm talking about 2011 Ko no Light Novel ga Sugoi! ranking, not sales...

I mean, even though the sales are not that bad for a LN (any time you get pass 100k it's pretty good), bestseller? Latest Haruhi sells 400k...hack, Oreimo Vol. 8 sells around 200k...

Quote:
I don't mean one or two good characters, I mean where the entire cast is generally good.
You can't really compare the series anyway. No matter what, Kirino would appear much more than other, and up until Vol. 5, not even Kuroneko appears that much...(Of course, after KN appears more and more, Manami keeps getting shaft...)

At the end, whenever you have a club, you'll see all those characters in the club appear often, thus getting much more character development. And of course, the more depth you have to a character, the "better" they are just b/c they actually have personality instead of "just being there for a story or two"...

On the other hand, though, yes, it does takes MUCH more effort to balance out the development. There ARE series with too big of a cast and even "main" characters get shaft all the time (Cough...Index...Cough...)
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 19:22   Link #147
Miraluka
Even after hope's lost...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
On the other hand, though, yes, it does takes MUCH more effort to balance out the development. There ARE series with too big of a cast and even "main" characters get shaft all the time (Cough...Index...Cough...)
That depends on what you call "main" character, because so far the author refers to Touma, Accelerator and Shiage as main and none of them got shaft, but if you mean that "Index" then yeah, I get your point .
__________________
Your last hope!
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 20:06   Link #148
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Asylum beyond the Mirror
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
That depends on what you call "main" character, because so far the author refers to Touma, Accelerator and Shiage as main and none of them got shaft, but if you mean that "Index" then yeah, I get your point .
Index is more story base than character base like OreImo and this series, it switches out character development for a deeper setting, you can't do that for slice of life comedy series; nobody's going to suddenly bring up what the Russian's failsafe plan for in the event that their nuclear silos have been overrun, or the political struggle between different factions within the British Government.

It's a different style that's all.
__________________
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 20:19   Link #149
Miraluka
Even after hope's lost...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Index is more story base than character base like OreImo and this series, it switches out character development for a deeper setting, you can't do that for slice of life comedy series; nobody's going to suddenly bring up what the Russian's failsafe plan for in the event that their nuclear silos have been overrun, or the political struggle between different factions within the British Government.

It's a different style that's all.
Adress that to ion475m, I know already the difference between Index series and this series ; P.
__________________
Your last hope!
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 04:59   Link #150
Registered Member
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Just wanted to ask if the character designs are tentative? Apparently the Director had asked Nishida Asako for help with the work on twitter yesterday, so I was curious if it would mean anything?
Registered Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 05:54   Link #151
ion475
にこにこにー
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 国立音ノ木坂学院
Quote:
That depends on what you call "main" character, because so far the author refers to Touma, Accelerator and Shiage as main and none of them got shaft, but if you mean that "Index" then yeah, I get your point .
We all know the heroine of Index series is a certain tsunderailgun...

As far as Oreimo, though, it's more like it has two sides of character and the only 3 that blurred that line are Kyousuke, Kirino, and Kuroneko. And since the otaku side is portray much more than the normal side...
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 10:07   Link #152
Miraluka
Even after hope's lost...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
To Registered member: I would love to see that but its very unusual to see characters designs getting a change .


Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
We all know the heroine of Index series is a certain tsunderailgun...
What is that thing?
There are a lot of eventual heroines, she is one of them but not a main one, as for Railgun manga yes, she is one there but not in Index so far, other thing is the popularity than the relevance to the plot.
__________________
Your last hope!
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 10:22   Link #153
uis
...
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hekiyou Gakuen Student Council
Age: 25
I wonder when this will be airing ???

I hope for fall season this year or spring 2012...
__________________

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 10:29   Link #154
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
^ It will be airing fall. It's taking IS/Aria/Mayo Chiki's timeslot.
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 11:18   Link #155
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
AIC? Nice....always liked their work.
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 02:15   Link #156
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
I'm talking about 2011 Ko no Light Novel ga Sugoi! ranking, not sales...
Than say so in the first place.. because you know you say (and that's WAY before the anime is announced...) what do you think people will assume you're talking about than? What was the point of saying that when you're talking about Ko no Light Novel ga Sugoi! rankings? Anime has no bearing on how good light novels are....

Quote:
I mean, even though the sales are not that bad for a LN (any time you get pass 100k it's pretty good), bestseller? Latest Haruhi sells 400k...hack, Oreimo Vol. 8 sells around 200k...
The sales are very good for a VN

Japan's Light Novels Rankings for 1st Half of Fiscal 2011

Volume by volume (copies)
*1, 962,495 Moshidora
*2. 240,443 One Piece Strong Words vol.1
*3, 223,124 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu vol.9
*4, 206,086 Toaru Majutsu no Index: New Testament vol.1
*5, 205,326 Kabukimonogatari
*6, 180,408 Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai vol.8
*7, 178,077 Hanamonogatari
*8, 171,476 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.6
*9, 168,478 Durarara!! vol.9
10, 162,836 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.7
11, 152,939 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai vol.5
12, 151,910 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.1
13, 145,523 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.2
14, 143,478 Gintama Kaettekita 3 nen Z gumi Ginpachi Sensei Returns
15, 140,817 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.3

As you can see Hagani is the only one on that list without an anime to help promote it. And Baka, Index, Monogatari, Ore No, IS and DRRs sales prior to the anime where nowhere near as good as Hagani's is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Member View Post
Just wanted to ask if the character designs are tentative? Apparently the Director had asked Nishida Asako for help with the work on twitter yesterday, so I was curious if it would mean anything?
Was he actually serious? Because if he's anything like fighting game producers (Ono, Harada, Dashi) he's a damn troll on twitter lol.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 02:51   Link #157
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Japan's Light Novels Rankings for 1st Half of Fiscal 2011

Volume by volume (copies)
*1, 962,495 Moshidora
*2. 240,443 One Piece Strong Words vol.1
*3, 223,124 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu vol.9
*4, 206,086 Toaru Majutsu no Index: New Testament vol.1
*5, 205,326 Kabukimonogatari
*6, 180,408 Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai vol.8
*7, 178,077 Hanamonogatari
*8, 171,476 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.6
*9, 168,478 Durarara!! vol.9
10, 162,836 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.7
11, 152,939 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai vol.5
12, 151,910 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.1
13, 145,523 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.2
14, 143,478 Gintama Kaettekita 3 nen Z gumi Ginpachi Sensei Returns
15, 140,817 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.3
Do you have any stats about total sales (or average sales) of all light novel series?
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 03:10   Link #158
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In your brain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Was he actually serious? Because if he's anything like fighting game producers (Ono, Harada, Dashi) he's a damn troll on twitter lol.
He did seem pretty serious about it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Do you have any stats about total sales (or average sales) of all light novel series?
Cumulative sales for the first five volume in May 17th was above 2 million. That's pretty damn a lot; almost 400,000 per volume, if all volume sold equally.

Source: http://blog.mediafactory.co.jp/mfbunkoj/?p=6610
__________________
If anyone attacks Shaft
I will be there to defend it to death.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 03:43   Link #159
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
But if this does indeed air in the fall wouldn't Nishida be too busy working on Guilty Crown to help out with this?
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 09:19   Link #160
ion475
にこにこにー
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 国立音ノ木坂学院
Quote:
Than say so in the first place.. because you know you say (and that's WAY before the anime is announced...) what do you think people will assume you're talking about than? What was the point of saying that when you're talking about Ko no Light Novel ga Sugoi! rankings? Anime has no bearing on how good light novels are....
Umm...I was referring to Kaisos saying that the source material (compare to Oreimo) is stellar, and how that leads to this novel being ranked #2 in the LN ranking, which is based on popularity and poll more than anything. I mean, consider that this don't have any anime promotion to make it even more popular is amazing...

Quote:
As you can see Hagani is the only one on that list without an anime to help promote it. And Baka, Index, Monogatari, Ore No, IS and DRRs sales prior to the anime where nowhere near as good as Hagani's is now.
I know that for awhile, making its popularity even more amazing.

P.S. Moshidora is no LN...(And putting it on the chart is just a stupid idea, when that book is #1 bestseller in Japan...)

Last edited by ion475; 2011-06-18 at 09:38.
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, light novel adaptation, romance, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.