AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-06-21, 05:56   Link #81
spaced
マギ
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Age: 24
Anyone seen the first volume yet? It's been released in theatres in Japan already.
spaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 14:31   Link #82
Quarkboy
Anime Translator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced View Post
Anyone seen the first volume yet? It's been released in theatres in Japan already.
I have, it's got great production values and every cliche known to man in it.

It's hard to dislike since it's so slick, but you aren't going to get essays written about episode one...
__________________
Yomiuri Television Enterprise
International Media Strategy Chief
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 16:36   Link #83
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gairyu Isle, Japan
Age: 28
^Were there more action scenes in episode 1 or is the scene we saw in that PV all there is.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 17:00   Link #84
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
Those two PVs make up half the runtime of the first film (think it's between 45 and 50 minutes) and I really hope there was more stuff going on between those two, otherwise it's going to be a horribly disjointed film.

@Quarkboy: If you've seen it, did you just see if for a lark or are you helping sub it somewhere? Hope I'm allowed to ask, I know you're not always able to talk about that stuff.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 23:55   Link #85
Quarkboy
Anime Translator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Those two PVs make up half the runtime of the first film (think it's between 45 and 50 minutes) and I really hope there was more stuff going on between those two, otherwise it's going to be a horribly disjointed film.

@Quarkboy: If you've seen it, did you just see if for a lark or are you helping sub it somewhere? Hope I'm allowed to ask, I know you're not always able to talk about that stuff.
I subbed a screener that's being used for sales purposes.
It IS out in theaters though, so I can talk about the contents .

My translation isn't for public consumption unless it gets licensed and used by the licensor.
__________________
Yomiuri Television Enterprise
International Media Strategy Chief
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 22:42   Link #86
Kagura89
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Malaysia
Spoiler for Episode 2 preview:
__________________

Last edited by Kagura89; 2011-09-04 at 22:36.
Kagura89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 22:58   Link #87
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
Now that the episode is out ... yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I have, it's got great production values and every cliche known to man in it.

It's hard to dislike since it's so slick, but you aren't going to get essays written about episode one...
Pretty much this. Not really sure what to add other than it looks great, and feels like I've seen the story a dozen times before.
__________________
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-07, 09:29   Link #88
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
Are the subs out or are just the RAWs out? (funny, thought it was coming out later in the month) I have to admit, I want to see just how many cliches they put in this now. XD
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-08, 20:59   Link #89
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
The RAW. There was special airing apparently, showing the first OVA, so the actual OVA hasn't been released as of yet.
__________________
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-08, 22:13   Link #90
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
I'm not really sure why "cliche" is the first thing which would come to mind. It's not a particularly ambitious story, but I love the simple but effective set up of the scenario and the characters. It's clearly not a story which relies on suspense or plot twists to carry it, but for an action show about a group of mutants trying to save their own kind from destruction by a high society shadow organization, it's pretty well executed.

Blood-C is honestly much, much more "cliched" in the sense that it intentionally builds off on a checklist of various completely unrelated elements which are just meant to appeal to various different people. I would say Towa no Quon is more of a traditional show, and it feels a lot more like stuff that I used to see more of in the 80s and 90s, except without terrible CG vehicles.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 13:41   Link #91
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I'm not really sure why "cliche" is the first thing which would come to mind. It's not a particularly ambitious story, but I love the simple but effective set up of the scenario and the characters. It's clearly not a story which relies on suspense or plot twists to carry it, but for an action show about a group of mutants trying to save their own kind from destruction by a high society shadow organization, it's pretty well executed.
The bold pretty much says why cliche was what springs to mind at first when it comes to the story here. You said it yourself, this is a pretty common story that had been told countless times across different mediums, all the way from the East to the West of the world.

Now that's not to say that any of that is bad. Just because the story lacks originality or doesn't appear to be that ambitious in it's aims doesn't mean it's going to be any lesser than other shows IMO. Treading over already explored and known territory without offering anything new is cliche since these are tropes and stories we had seen before, but in ToK case, I think that helped it.

This is a series that relies on it's visual aspect as it's strong point, and that it does really well. It's well produced and made, as expected of an OVA/Movie release, but the action here isn't just pretty and well choreographed, but also complex with more than one character engaged in battles, and calculates things like the environment where they are fighting in to add more to the fights, rather than being a backdrop or even unaccountable in many action show most of the time. A lot of thought and effort went into making sure that not only did this have to look good, but it had to be easy to follow and impressive to look at the same time.

This is a very cliche story, and there is no problem with that, at least in me view. I enjoy and appreciate direction, be it visual, audio or written (though I'd like a combination of all being good) and in here the visual direction is not only strong, but a testament that BONES can still show that it can produce a high quality action anime.

The problem though, is that this might be setting itself to a Heroman situation, where the lack of ambition of the story ends up killing it by the finale stretch.

(That and they really shouldn't release half of the episode before the pre-airing, and then release the full episode before the BD release as well ... that's not a clever way to go about it, I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Blood-C is honestly much, much more "cliched" in the sense that it intentionally builds off on a checklist of various completely unrelated elements which are just meant to appeal to various different people. I would say Towa no Quon is more of a traditional show, and it feels a lot more like stuff that I used to see more of in the 80s and 90s, except without terrible CG vehicles.
Well yeah, it's CLAMP story. WHat did you think the C stood for? I'm not sure why you'd bring up Blood-C here, when no one really mentioned it (or even said that it was original lol) but for the record, being a fan of Blood-C, I admit it's not the most original show and does contain several CLAMP cliches. However, the problem with the show right now rests more with it spending half of it's time trying to overbuild intrigue and the mystery, when it should've spent less time on that and tried to make better use of it's time getting to the point.
__________________
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 23:56   Link #92
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
The bold pretty much says why cliche was what springs to mind at first when it comes to the story here. You said it yourself, this is a pretty common story that had been told countless times across different mediums, all the way from the East to the West of the world.

Now that's not to say that any of that is bad. Just because the story lacks originality or doesn't appear to be that ambitious in it's aims doesn't mean it's going to be any lesser than other shows IMO. Treading over already explored and known territory without offering anything new is cliche since these are tropes and stories we had seen before, but in ToK case, I think that helped it.
Well, that's where I disagree about the use of the word cliche. Lacking ambition does not make something cliche. I feel it's a misrepresentation of the word. The term cliche in the normal use of the language is very much a bad thing. It refers to specific elements which have been so overused that they are no longer interesting or appealing. I feel that a base idea cannot be cliche, only the execution of it.

If you look at the distribution trends themes in anime and popular media today, I think you'll find that the story elements and characters found in Towa no Quon are actually by no means overused or even common. That's one thing which I found very refreshing about the show. In most other works, even in BONES' recent releases, the trend seems to favor making everything more complex and having too many layers in the narrative with plot twists being used for the sake of confusing or surprising the viewer instead of having actual depth or story purpose. Xam'd and Darker than BLACK both suffer from the feeling of copying more popular works at the expense of originality or quality. That would definitely be more suitable for the use of the term cliche.

A work can be unambitious but not feel cliched, but a work can also be over-ambitious and yet feel absolutely cliched. Just my two cents.


Quote:
Well yeah, it's CLAMP story. WHat did you think the C stood for? I'm not sure why you'd bring up Blood-C here, when no one really mentioned it (or even said that it was original lol) but for the record, being a fan of Blood-C, I admit it's not the most original show and does contain several CLAMP cliches. However, the problem with the show right now rests more with it spending half of it's time trying to overbuild intrigue and the mystery, when it should've spent less time on that and tried to make better use of it's time getting to the point.
I only bring it up because it's the most recent show I have been following regularly that strikes me as absolutely and utterly cliched. I like it a lot, because I'm a pretty huge CLAMP fan, but I'm giving an example of a current show which I feel actually falls under this umbrella of a show that is constructed of nothing but bullet points of "what a CLAMP fan expects", and it literally feels like they're dishing out the specific overused elements week after week in a specific order. It's hilarious, and yet so entertaining.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 01:09   Link #93
Jeffry2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced View Post
Anyone seen the first volume yet? It's been released in theatres in Japan already.
Just to remind you that it has learned that the 1st Episode will be out next week on August 26th.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 12:07   Link #94
DangerMouse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffry2009 View Post
Just to remind you that it has learned that the 1st Episode will be out next week on August 26th.
Awesome, thanks, I'd lost track of when the first BD was coming, can't wait to see this once it gets subbed, and then hopefully eventually picked up for dual-language BD here.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 22:14   Link #95
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
...but for an action show about a group of mutants trying to save their own kind from destruction by a high society shadow organization, it's pretty well executed.
Wait... What ?
I didn't know Bones was doing another X-men anime...
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 14:09   Link #96
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
ep 1

So Quon seems to have been doing this for a long time and doesn't seem to age. I wonder what the reason is or why these powers manifest in people. Kind of cool that they can suppress their powers with that bracelet and turn their powers on and off like a switch. Wonder what the antagonists plan is and reason for hunting these people down. Those cyborgs they have were pretty cool though.
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 17:21   Link #97
DangerMouse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Loved the first part and the fully-high-tech setting to go with the powers, thought they did a nice job getting me to like the characters quickly and you guys weren't kidding about the gorgeous visuals. Glad this finally got subbed. As to the earlier conversation topic, while the awakening powers/protection general story isn't currently anything "new" yet, I think they've executed it really well and it doesn't feel cliche at all, just familiar, and all the little touches sprinkled around like the tech, the bracelets, the really advanced cyborg tech etc. adds some nice touches to add more to it.

Agreed ars89, they got me really interested in Quon's character and history.

As well as the questions about the antagonist group and the cool cyborg designs and their cool armor. I also really liked how Quon's other form looked while it was kicking butt (his running henshin sequence was damn cool too neatly animated).

The soundtrack is so bought too, I should have known with Kenji Kawai I was going to love the soundtrack but I'd momentarily forgotten he was going to be composing this until I started watching.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-09-04 at 18:34.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 17:41   Link #98
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Spoiler tags please people.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 19:35   Link #99
DangerMouse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
That cool rock end credits theme sounded like a JAM Project song, and the kind that I haven't heard since like SoulTaker (outside of SRW).
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 19:46   Link #100
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
MAL has the ED as "Reckless" by LAZY.
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bones, kawamoto, mecha, nakamura

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.