AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-22, 00:47   Link #21
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Madoka Magica is the biggest hit of 2011.

So it hasn't been released in the US yet. I'm sure it will be though.
Does seem a bit similar to .hack//sign
Old 2011-06-22, 01:29   Link #22
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

The soundtrack to Blood+ was composed by Hans Zimmer so its rather good. Also I like the soundtrack to Death Note and Angel Beats.
Old 2011-06-22, 02:53   Link #23
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
The soundtrack to Blood+ was composed by Hans Zimmer
Incorrect. The composition was by Mark Mancina, while Zimmer only took on a supervisory role in producing the music.

Doesn't stop it from being good, though.
Old 2011-06-22, 06:23   Link #24
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Two epic dramas set in fictitious Asian empires have excellent scores. One is Junni Kokuki (aka "Twelve Kingdoms"), and the other is Moribito. I think you'd enjoy either, and they are both licensed and available on DVD with dubbing. You can watch the dubbed version for free at ANN.

My all-time favorite score remains Tsuneyoshi Saito's work in Dennou Coil. He displays a mastery of many different musical styles and instrumentations. Sadly the powers-that-be have never chosen to license one of the best shows of the past decade.
Old 2011-06-23, 21:32   Link #25
Alen

Just a little follow up. Been watching Death Note and Noir and I like them quite a lot (especially Death Note). Good soundtrack and dark(ish)/grim anime, just like I like it. I'll probably go for Twelve Kingdoms and Madoka (so many people like it!) next when I get the time/am done with the current ones.

I really am quite picky when it comes to anime, however...do you think I would enjoy Madoka and Twelve Kingdoms by looking at my list? As you can see I prefer little to no comedy (serious), and a hint of romance, at least.
Old 2011-06-23, 23:30   Link #26
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen View Post
Just a little follow up. Been watching Death Note and Noir and I like them quite a lot (especially Death Note). Good soundtrack and dark(ish)/grim anime, just like I like it. I'll probably go for Twelve Kingdoms and Madoka (so many people like it!) next when I get the time/am done with the current ones.

I really am quite picky when it comes to anime, however...do you think I would enjoy Madoka and Twelve Kingdoms by looking at my list? As you can see I prefer little to no comedy (serious), and a hint of romance, at least.
Both Madoka and Twelve Kingdoms are pretty serious shows overall with minimal comedy in them; though Twelve Kingdoms does have some hints of romance in it, but Madoka has a few bits for one of the Characters I suppose just not really major... unless you consider yuri
Old 2011-06-23, 23:39   Link #27
Calca
Brina!

Kaleido Star
Old 2011-06-23, 23:43   Link #28
Alen

I just watched the first episode (I couldn't resist...) of Madoka and, I agree, the music is amazing. A couple amazing pieces just in the first episode (varied too, flute, piano, vocals). But the show itself seems a little...silly for my tastes. Sailor moon with seemingly 10 year old girls and a...bunny thing?

Too early to judge, I'm sure, but thus far it does seem to be something a bit out of my zone. Very impressed with the soundtrack though (and only 1 episode!).
Old 2011-06-24, 00:01   Link #29
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Here are some classics with great OP ED themes and superb scores throughout.
1) Magic User's Club (lots of magic, plenty of comedy, and a terrific cast [even the creepy gay dude])
2) Cardcaptor Sakura (your magic Pokemon gone cute and fluffy on the outside but surprisingly deep and seriously adult inside)
3) Kaleido Star (Junichi Sato's best involvement to date that formulaically follows a gymnast's dream to become a cirque du soleil star)
4) Noir (Bee Train's first and IMO best girls w/guns outing that I think may have put Yuki Kajiura on the map)
5) Chrono Crusade (nuns with guns...need I say more?)
6) His And Her Circumstances (may not be your bag now based on your list, but 11 years ago I couldn't imagine myself having rom-coms as my fave anime genre until Love Hina and I totally clicked so I'm recommending it)
7) Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure (a blatant Evangalion rip-off that is in so many ways better than Eva by having endearing characters and the awesome Zinv)
8) El Hazard OVA and TV series (the TV is an alternate retelling of the OVA, and I'm of the minority opinion but I liked the TV series even better than the really darn good OVA)
9) Trigun (simply marvelous)
10) Mahoromatic (a fine mix of ecchi, sci-fi rom com drama in which melancholy moments are made even more melancholy by Toshio Masuda's very melancholic themes)
11) Now And Then Here And There (may be Taku Iwasaki's first scoring gig, but every bit as moving and melancholy as his Rurouni Kenshin OVAs score)
12) Read Or Die OVA and R.O.D. TV (more awesome Taku Iwasaki scores about the British Library [which is no mere goverment library])
13) Princess Nine (girls starting a baseball team trying to compete at Koshien stadium...against guy teams. The tennis player turned batter is awesome)
14) Yawara (almost seems ancient, but the development of the rivalry between Yawara Inokuma and Sayaka Honami are well worth watching its 124 episode run)
15) Scrapped Princess (an awesome fantasy...with a twist)
16) Pita Ten (ultra-kawaii gone mad...not really but the Shia development is outstanding)
17) Kokoro Library (known by its fans as simply having the hands down best OP/ED themes and score in all of anime history)
18) Please Teacher (effective score, but outstanding OP/ED themes and their use)
Old 2011-06-24, 03:17   Link #30
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
I just watched the first episode (I couldn't resist...) of Madoka and, I agree, the music is amazing. A couple amazing pieces just in the first episode (varied too, flute, piano, vocals). But the show itself seems a little...silly for my tastes. Sailor moon with seemingly 10 year old girls and a...bunny thing?

Too early to judge, I'm sure, but thus far it does seem to be something a bit out of my zone. Very impressed with the soundtrack though (and only 1 episode!).
Eh the small silly-ness goes away very quickly, just watch a bit further and you'll see.
Old 2011-06-24, 03:40   Link #31
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:

Madoka being silly eh ... I can certainly see where people would get that first impression from, and I was probably less than thrilled with the show based on the first two episodes only myself. I have seen many a people I converse with express that opinion based on the very start of it, only to go O.O not long afterwards. I would suggest giving it another episode or two, and then tell us what you think And the soundtrack is nothing short of impressive indeed, as is most stuff produced by Yuki Kajiura.

For something a bit more traditional with likewise amazing soundtrack, you should definitely give the Kara no Kyoukai movies a go. Overall pretty grim and serious, pretty much no comedy, a hint of romance here and there and fictitious elements most definitely play a part in it. Couple that with one of the best visual presentations you are likely to have laid your eyes upon, and overall this should be pretty much what the doctor ordered. Just give Madoka a chance first, the show may yet surprise you.
Old 2011-06-24, 04:43   Link #32
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
Gundam 00's soundtrack by Kenji Kawai
Old 2011-06-24, 21:17   Link #33
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:

We'll see what you say after episode 3.

Heheheheh....

Be sure to come back and post your reaction.

PS: I believe the correct term is "cabbit".

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-06-24, 22:22   Link #34
kitten320

Believe me, Sailor Moon didn't stand close to Madoka. It does look girly and childish at first but as was said, after episode 3 it takes some really dark tones.
Old 2011-06-25, 19:18   Link #35
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

Madoka is the best as others have said but if you want more...

Ef

Sola

Air